Any Guesses on this year's Criterion Poster?

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Any Guesses on this year's Criterion Poster?

Post by JimmyJazz »

Criterion Collection put out a new poster around New Year's. They do this every year to tease and hint about future releases for the rest of the year. Any guesses as to the titles featured in the poster?

Link to the Poster: http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/wp-content ... rawing.jpg

The only ones I'm sure about are:

Inside Llewyn Davis (the guy with a guitar and cat), this would be the first ever Coen film to get the Criterion treatment
The Brood (The deformed mob on the bridge)
Speedy (Harold Lloyd is being chased by the mob)
The New World (The large ship at the back of the picture)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (The funeral pyre near the lady)

Others I am greatly speculating about. The 18th century soldiers are very suspicious to me. The two most widely guessed films for this would be amazing to me if they released either of them, or hell even both:
Barry Lyndon (in conjunction with this, the masked knife wielding guys could be Clockwork Orange maybe...?)
Napoleon

The other one that is getting me excited is the two suns and a moon. The possibilities are endless for this one:
The Before Trilogy by Richard Linklater (this one has been rumored for quite some time)
Moonrise Kingdom (every Wes Anderson film gets a Criterion at some point)
A Brighter Summer Day (this one was recently restored, and has also been rumored for quite some time)
Two Days One Night (every Dardenne brothers film, like Anderson, gets a Criterion at some point)

Other then these, other Criterion releases for the year I have been speculating about, and seen rumors about include:

The Decalogue by Kieslowski
The Apu Trilogy by Satyajit Ray
Shame by Steve McQueen
12 Years a Slave by McQueen
Boyhood by Linklater (I really want this to happen!)
Various David Lynch films (Criterion has the rights to his work, according to Lynch, as seen in the Eraserhead release. I really want Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr. To come out. Wouldn't it be awesome to time up the Twin Peaks announcement with a Criterion box set of the show?)
Au hasard Balthazar and Mouchette by Bresson
Tarkovsky's films...Please!!!
The River by Renoir
Other Altman films (like McCabe and the Long Goodbye, they have released Nashville recently)
Once Upon a Time in America (this is currently being restored by the Film Foundation, and so I hope it gets a Criterion treatment)
Several Hollywood classics (they just released Red River, My Darling Clementine, and It Happened One Night last year, as well On the Waterfront, so anything is possible) I have heard rumors about Touch of Evil, The Lady from Shanghai, Only Angels Have Wings, Double Indemnity, and The Best Years of Our Lives
The complete films of F W Murnau

Any other films people wish Criterion would give their treatment of?
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Any Guesses on this year's Criterion Poster?

Post by Jirin »

Does Bridge on the River Kwai have a blu-ray yet?

River King-with-eye

The clock is at 1:23, are there any big movies you can think of along the lines of 1, 2, 3? Maybe the Billy Wilder film 1, 2, 3?

Floating Clouds? Drifting Clouds?

Rosewater?

The French looking soldiers, Napoleon? (Please) or Les Miserables?

The woman with the machine gun, a Rodriguez film?

The before trilogy is a good guess for the two suns and a moon. A sun in the east, a sun in the west, a moon. Sunrise, sunset, midnight.

Kings of the Road? The Abyss?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

One Two Three by Wilder could be very likely as well.

Floating Clouds could be too. I sure hope so, along with other Naruse films.

I believe River Kwai has a Blu Ray, but I have learned that this doesn't mean anything necessarily. Criterion has been purchasing titles like crazy lately that have usually been owned by the big studio vaults.
chevisan
Are You Experienced?

Post by chevisan »

JimmyJazz wrote: A Brighter Summer Day (this one was recently restored, and has also been rumored for quite some time)
It would be nice to see that one getting a good treatment.
JimmyJazz wrote: Any other films people wish Criterion would give their treatment of?
A City of Sadness (another Taiwanese film). I really like that movie a lot.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”