AM Auteur/Director Poll 2014: Submissions and Prep Page

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

AM Auteur/Director Poll 2014: Submissions and Prep Page

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hello fellow AM resident cinephiles! :greetings-waveyellow:

All good film buffs love making lists of their favorite movies (just glance at the 3000+ individual ballots used in the TSPDT 1000, plus the popularity of the IMDB 250 to see the significant truth of this statement!). Yet, there is only one other type of list that this unique species of human known as homo cinephalis (bad pun, I know…) loves to make… and that is the list of their favorite directors, or, to borrow the term coined by the French critics of Cahiers du Cinema, and later Anglicized by such major film critics Robin Wood in the UK and Andrew Sarris in the States, auteurs.

We as cinephiles all have that special “list”, the one that is made up of the holy “pantheon” of artists who define the cinema for us. So, finally, we will be polling our small film group to see which auteurs really mean the most to, well, the most of us.

Please submit a list of your favorite filmmakers/auteurs. This list can be of any size you wish, however please submit a list of at least 10 directors to qualify. Additionally, the max size that will be counted for a list is 100. Please submit all lists to me via PM. However, if you wish to make comments, feel free to ask me and I will provide you my email via PM, and you can send your file in Excel.

The formula being used for this is the exact same as the previous AM artist poll we did in 2013. The formula: score = 12,28344771/tan((position+10)/90)
However, if anybody has a suggestion for a better formula to use, go right ahead, as long as we all get a consensus about it.

The deadline for all list submissions is midnight of 23 December.

Let the auteur lists (and battles for the #1 spot) begin! I will provide little hints and teasers for people to figure out which auteurs are doing well after certain numbers of lists are submitted.

Also, for the record: Please do NOT post director lists on this page! I feel like it will spoil which filmmakers are doing well, and may lead to strategic voting. After the final roll-out has happened, then we can post our entire lists for everyone’s viewing pleasures.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Re: AM Auteur/Director Poll 2014: Submissions and Prep Page

Post by JimmyJazz »

Also, as the title implies, please feel free to use this page not only as the place where you PM me your lists, but also to discuss and speculate what directors may do well, and get into director discussions in general if you want. As I said, I will drop little teasers here and there, and will provide updates on which AMers have submitted ballots.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

1 list received so far, from Bootsy.

I also want to reiterate to others (not to Bootsy) to please make a list of only your "favorites". Once you get into the category of directors you merely like but not love, I would suggest cutting it off.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

How do we list pairs of directors who always work together? Like the Coens or Powell & Pressburger?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Jirin wrote:How do we list pairs of directors who always work together? Like the Coens or Powell & Pressburger?
Just go ahead and list them as a pair. Of course, if you enjoy the entire work of, say, Michael Powell, then go ahead and list him as one director.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

This takes more time than I expected. I have now list of 180 directors. Still a lot left to do (mostly sorting and checking that I haven't forget anyone).
I will send top 100 later this month.

Some irrelevant stats concerning my list.
The director whose movies I've seen the most that won't be in top 50
Steven Spielberg (seen 22 feauture films directed by him)

The director whose movies I've seen the most that won't be in top 100.
Renny Harlin (seen :? 13 :whistle: of his movies including some of the worst movies ever)
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Ok, so we are two weeks into this poll now. Here are the 8 ballots so far:

Bootsy
Jirin
PlasticRam
Chambord
Miguel
BleuPanda
Stephan
And Myself (JimmyJazz)

Ballots that I am still currently waiting on:

Gillingham
Petri
Michel
Bonnielaurel
Rob
Irreduciblekoan
Harold
Stone37
Greg

I also really hope that maybe some others who seem to be really into movies may vote as well, like Henrik, Nicolas, HRS, Pauldrach, Moonbeam, etc...
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

That above list is now 9 with Gillingham's ballot submitted. Keep em coming people!

There is exactly 14 days left to submit this thing!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Now 12 days. Remember the deadline is the 23rd everybody!

With a small number of ballots so far any director in the 1-30 range is still fair game to be in the final list!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

JimmyJazz wrote:Now 12 days. Remember the deadline is the 23rd everybody!

With a small number of ballots so far any director in the 1-30 range is still fair game to be in the final list!
How long will the final least be? 100?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Gillingham wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:Now 12 days. Remember the deadline is the 23rd everybody!

How long will the final least be? 100?
I was aiming for a 100, but at this rate it might have to become a top 50 instead. I am wondering if I should extend the deadline to the end of the year instead actually. The ballot sizes are all over the place, from 28 to 50 to 83 to 100.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I would love to make a ballot, I'll try get it in within a week!

Are there any hints at how to make a film ranking list for future reference? Albums are easy, I don't have time to re-watch all of the films I have already seen.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

So, we now have HRS, Nicolas, and, of course, Maschine Man signed up for this as well!

Just got Bonnielaurel's ballot, bringing us to 10 at this point. If all proceeds smoothly, we should have 20 ballots for this, which should net a decent enough Top 100.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Also, Pauldrach has signed up!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

With Rob's ballot we have 11 lists now.

9 days are left to submit your ballots everybody! Essentially, there is one more week available to submit a list if you wish.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Now Maschine Man and Petri submitted their ballots, bringing our number of ballots to 13 now.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I have received two more ballots, from McJagger and Whuntva. Keep em coming people! 7 days left!
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

Here are my predictions for the top ten:

1. Stanley Kubrick
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Martin Scorsese
4. Francis Ford Coppola
5. Steven Spielberg
6. Paul Thomas Anderson
7. David Lynch
8. Akira Kurosawa
9. Joel and Ethan Coen
10. Christopher Nolan
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

You don't think non-English directors will factor in? This is a 2/3 European website. I would imagine names like Godard, Bergman, Tarkovsky, etc would also factor very highly.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Both McJagger and Jirin are right and wrong in some of their predictions, currently with the results based off the 16 ballots now factored in.

McJagger, only half of the directors in your predicted Top Ten are currently in the Top Ten at the moment. One of the directors at the moment you mentioned is not doing very well at all, in fact.

Jirin, you are right that many great non-English filmmakers are doing well in the poll, however the Anglo filmmakers are definitely prevailing (and by Anglo I mean American more specifically as well). Older Hollywood masters are fairing even worse, and both of these trends somewhat sadden me. But, if the people speak, they speak!

I hope that people like Greg, Harold, Irreducibkekoan, Stone37, HRS, Nicolas, Henrik, Michel, and Pauldrach will submit their ballots to produce the last changes to this current list! The deadline is the 23rd everyone!!!
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

As I mentioned in a link I put up on the Music Music Music board, there is now officially 5 days, less than a week, to submit your ballot!!! If you want to get in your list, I would suggest doing so very soon over the next couple of days!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

JimmyJazz wrote:Jirin, you are right that many great non-English filmmakers are doing well in the poll, however the Anglo filmmakers are definitely prevailing (and by Anglo I mean American more specifically as well). Older Hollywood masters are fairing even worse, and both of these trends somewhat sadden me. But, if the people speak, they speak!
The more reminders, the more saddening (for you) results you will probably get... :whistle:
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Henrik wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:Jirin, you are right that many great non-English filmmakers are doing well in the poll, however the Anglo filmmakers are definitely prevailing (and by Anglo I mean American more specifically as well). Older Hollywood masters are fairing even worse, and both of these trends somewhat sadden me. But, if the people speak, they speak!
The more reminders, the more saddening (for you) results you will probably get... :whistle:
Oh, I don't mind these kinds of results of course. Maybe the full top 100 will feature some directors other voters hadn't really explored before, or considered the stature of, and they can explore their work.

Same when the individual ballots are posted afterwards.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'd be surprised if a site with such a heavily European population only voted for Americans.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

With days passing by, and the deadline quickly approaching (we currently have 4 days now!), I want everyone to have their say on this:

Do you think the deadline should be extended to New Year's Eve? I feel like that would give more people time to submit lists once the holiday season is essentially over, and all the busy lifestyle that entails. In favor of an extension or no?
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

JimmyJazz wrote:With days passing by, and the deadline quickly approaching (we currently have 4 days now!), I want everyone to have their say on this:

Do you think the deadline should be extended to New Year's Eve? I feel like that would give more people time to submit lists once the holiday season is essentially over, and all the busy lifestyle that entails. In favor of an extension or no?
I'm in favor of extension, but mostly for a different (and personal) reason, since I will only be able to see the results from about halfway through January.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

JimmyJazz wrote:With days passing by, and the deadline quickly approaching (we currently have 4 days now!), I want everyone to have their say on this:

I say no. You've given people plenty of time and warning with the thread in the music section.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I see what you mean, but at the same time, the timing of the deadline is pretty poor given Christmas and holiday festivities. A number of folks expressed interest in this poll, but also stressed that holidays are stressing them. Things should ease up after Christmas Day. So I am seriously considering extending this thing. I wish people would get back to my PMs though. I never know if they got stuck in my Outbox.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Okay, I think I have a solution to this. I will wait and see if the remaining potential voters (those being Harold, Greg, Irreduciblekoan, Nicolas, Michel, Pauldrach, HRS, Stone37, and Henrik) get their votes in by said deadline. If that turns out not to be the case, then I will extend the deadline to New Year's Eve.

Before anyone calls fowl, I will just say that 16 voters seems rather small for a poll about artists like filmmakers. Getting up to 25 makes more sense, as then we have a number that would be more common for one of our music games, for example. A solid quarter, if you will. The results will be more skewed with less weight behind them as it stands currently.
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

Hm, I wonder which of the directors I mentioned is doing poorly. Maybe I overestimated the appeal of PT Anderson, who I thought was generally regarded as the best American filmmaker working today - an opinion I don't share, although I do enjoy his movies.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

What I like to do is elicit people to ask for an extension if they want one. If somebody is working on a list and just needs a little more time, give it to them. Otherwise, move the game along.
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

I thought I had already sent mine but it appears I didn't. You should have it now.
McJagger wrote:Hm, I wonder which of the directors I mentioned is doing poorly.
I'm thinking Spielberg. All the others you mentioned have quite significant followings among cinephiles. Spielberg is more of a popular favorite, who I imagine will indeed appear on most lists but not very high, also considering how uneven his filmography is.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

My first guess was that Christopher Nolan wouldn't make it. Though if we're talking uneven Francis Ford Coppola should take the bite, no matter how strong his four seventies films are. Perhaps I'm just projection my own wishes here, as they are the two from McJagger's list I didn't vote for.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Received Pauldrach's list, bringing us to 17 ballots.

The filmmakers mentioned above are all interesting cases being made, but only one of those four is the correct guess.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Henrik just submitted his list as well, bringing our ballot number to 18.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

2 days left until the current deadline, everyone!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Received Michel's ballot, bringing us to 19 now.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Just received Harold's ballot, bringing us to 20.

There is almost 24 hours until the current deadline ends. I would like to get more ballots than this, but I don't know how to get this announcement out there for all of the people who haven't submitted lists yet but said they would like to. I feel a lot of people don't check this section because they keep seeing my name on the last posted area and assume it hasn't updated. They aren't checking the date or something.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

21 ballots thanks to Stone37 now!

Less than 24 hours people! Get those last votes in!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Change of plans, folks!!!

I was for a long time thinking that the 23rd was Christmas Eve. I was politely reminded today, however, that the 24th is Eve, and the 25th Christmas Day. How I forgot this I will never know...

So, I am now moving the deadline to the midnight of the 25th. I figure that I am not going to be rolling out the results on Christmas Day anyways, so I will allow anyone to have extra time to get their last minute lists in.

I am extremely sorry guys for this screw up!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

No worries, not really a screwup. :) 21 isn't a bad turnout at all; I expected less. I'm really curious as to the results, this could be one of the most surprising polls we've ever had.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Okay guys. I will be off the radar for the next 24 hours basically for Christmas. If anyone has last minute lists to submit or want any extensions, you have that time frame to do so. Starting midnight tomorrow, this poll will close up... perhaps. Henrik's comments in the 70s poll thread, which I myself am behind on participating in, has given me reflection on the timing of this poll around the holidays as I mentioned previously. We will see how it goes...
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Okay guys, seeing as how Greg hasn't submitted his list yet, but told me a few dats ago that he is working on it, and in order to give some of the other possible voters more potential time, I will extend the deadline to the 31st, midnight once again. I am sorry for doing it this way, but if people are busy making lists with their personal lives at the same time, I don't want to let them miss out on voting simply because of bad timing on my part.

I won't extend the deadline any longer than that, though, As I will rolling the results over the course of my last week off, so things will get busy for me yet again.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Also, currently 22 ballots, thanks to LiveinPhoenix!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I will sent you a list today.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

23 ballots, Thanks to Romain!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Great turnout guys!
Looking forward to the results.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

There are essentially two days left to vote, everybody!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

One more day to submit lists! This poll closes when the New Year begins!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Okay, this poll is closed. Expect results in a couple of days.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”