Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post Reply
User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by JimmyJazz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Hey guys,

So I was thinking, we do a lot of film polls in this section of the forum. But, why not do a filmmaker poll? I have a "pantheon" of auteurs, a Top 100, of my own, and I'm sure there are many film buffs on here that could come up with a list too. It doesn't have to be a lengthy poll, it could start next week, not this week, and could run up to Christmas. Then, the results could be unveiled. I would be willing to run the poll.

What formula should we use, if we do this? Maybe the Artist poll formula?

User avatar
BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 am

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by BleuPanda » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:10 pm

I was thinking we should do something like this, but I have no idea in regards to formula. The only issue is coming up with a list of directors I feel really strongly about. I could easily go to around 50, but extending up to 100 would probably include some questionable entrants.

User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by JimmyJazz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:17 pm

BleuPanda wrote:I was thinking we should do something like this, but I have no idea in regards to formula. The only issue is coming up with a list of directors I feel really strongly about. I could easily go to around 50, but extending up to 100 would probably include some questionable entrants.
I personally have no issue with my list of 100, all of which I enjoy the work generally quite greatly across the board, though obviously some more than others. I guess others here are different, but, for example, in my 100 Artist list for the last artist poll, I hold all of them in pretty high regard. Other forumers seem to compile 100 lists even when they don't care for the bottom ones I guess...? Don't really understand the logic behind that.

I would make it so that everybody can submit a list of whatever size, but 100 would be the cut-off for factored lists. So, you don't have to feel pressured about going to 100, you can keep it at 50 or so.

Gillingham
Full of Fire
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:33 pm
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by Gillingham » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Sounds like a great idea, I've always had a week spot for auteurs.

Guess mine would be 50 max. 100 is too many for me.

User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by JimmyJazz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:50 am

Okay, three interested in this poll so far (counting myself). I really want to get at least 10 on board this before I decide to start the poll next Monday.

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2692
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by Jirin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:35 am

I'd submit a list.

It should probably curve down faster than the artist's poll, because people probably have fewer directors they care about in general than bands.

User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by JimmyJazz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:29 am

Jirin wrote:It should probably curve down faster than the artist's poll, because people probably have fewer directors they care about in general than bands.
I have a lot of auteurs I care about, but I see your point. That makes 4.

User avatar
Petri
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by Petri » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:20 am

JimmyJazz wrote: That makes 4.
Make it 5.

User avatar
Michel
Different Class
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:41 am

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by Michel » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:33 am

Petri wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote: That makes 4.
Make it 5.
6

User avatar
bonnielaurel
Full of Fire
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by bonnielaurel » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:19 am

7
They give awards for that music? I thought just ear plugs. (Woody Allen in Annie Hall)

User avatar
Miguel
Different Class
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:13 am

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by Miguel » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:24 am

8

User avatar
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3409
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:34 am

I'm interested. 50 shouldn't be a problem, but 100 would probably include to many directors I would file under "great, but need to see more", or "interesting, but uneven".

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2692
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by Jirin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:33 pm

JimmyJazz wrote:
Jirin wrote:It should probably curve down faster than the artist's poll, because people probably have fewer directors they care about in general than bands.
I have a lot of auteurs I care about, but I see your point. That makes 4.
Yeah, but there are just fewer directors out there. It's much easier for a band without funding to shove out an album than for a director without funding to shove out a movie. Agnes Varda and Vittorio De Sica could make great films on practically no budget but it's a very difficult thing to do.

Gillingham
Full of Fire
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:33 pm
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by Gillingham » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:06 pm

That's nine already, should be enough.
Jirin wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:
Jirin wrote:It should probably curve down faster than the artist's poll, because people probably have fewer directors they care about in general than bands.
I have a lot of auteurs I care about, but I see your point. That makes 4.
Yeah, but there are just fewer directors out there. It's much easier for a band without funding to shove out an album than for a director without funding to shove out a movie. Agnes Varda and Vittorio De Sica could make great films on practically no budget but it's a very difficult thing to do.
It's not so much the budget though, in my opinion. Both for filmmakers and musicians it's as easy to spend a lot of money or practically no money, but reaching in audience is what makes it difficult. That's hard for both low-budget musicians as for low-budget filmmakers.

That said, weekly more new albums/songs are released to the general public than are films. So I do agree that it's easier to get to know a lot of artist than a lot of filmmakers. Especially now with spotify and such.

A top 100 of filmmakers is only worth it if one has seen thousands of films. I've seen about 2000 (many for the casual movie-watcher, few for the (older) real film fanatics) and I presume 50 is ample. But I'll only know when actually making the list. Looking forward to that!

irreduciblekoan
Different Class
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by irreduciblekoan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:40 am

Count me in. I don't usually do polls in this forum, and the reasons for that are many. Mostly, I'm bad at organizing what I like into lists, because it's hard for me to decide if I like one great thing better than another equally-but-very-different great thing. And also, I feel like I still haven't experienced enough art to make lists, to give deserving artists and works their due. For example, I will participate in this poll but I will not be ranking Bergman very high on my list. But see, that's only because I am behind on my Bergman watching, having only seen four of his films. When I watch more of his work, he will no doubt climb in my personal rankings in the future. On the other hand, Jim Jarmusch will rank higher than Bergman, only because I've seen almost all of Jarmusch's films. So I consider whatever list I present to be very haphazard, just as prior warning, and if an established master is relatively low (or absent) on my list, it may simply be because I haven't seen enough from that filmmaker yet, OR it may be because I don't love him/her like others do, but the point is there may be several possible reasons.

User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by JimmyJazz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:00 am

And, thanks to Irreducible, we now officially have 10 signed up for this! I'm sure others will join too, but for now I will get this thing rolling starting the 23rd of November. I think a good time frame for this poll would be spanning from then to the 23rd of December, that essentially gives us a full month to send in and work on lists, and I can unveil it as a Holiday present of sorts around that time for us resident cinephiles.

As I said, I myself will submit a Top 100, as I have watched quite a lot of movies and consider myself a hardcore cinephile that I am passionate about a lot of auteurs. But everybody feel to submit a list of any length, though preferably at least have a Top 10. I don't, however, want people to submit lists of directors that includes ones they merely "like". Please cut your lists off when you reach a point where you get into auteurs that aren't necessarily deeply held by you. This is a "favorites" game, more or less.

Once again, suggested formula? In spite of my (relatively) large list, I do somewhat agree with Jirin that the formula should be steeper than the artist poll, which I honestly kind of thought should have been a little steeper as well.

User avatar
Stephan
Site Admin
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:34 am
Contact:

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by Stephan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:10 am

I can submit a top 25 at most I reckon.

User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by JimmyJazz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:29 pm

So let's see, as far forumers interested in this, we currently have:

BleuPanda
Gillingham
Jirin
Petri
Michel
Bonnielaurel
Miguel
Rob
Irreducible
Stephan
Chambord (via PM told me)
And Myself

12 potential voters so far. I'm hoping we can get a decent voter base for this thing, so that the overal Top 100 is not based on too small a point value range.

User avatar
bootsy
Full of Fire
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by bootsy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:50 am

Count me in for this please. Thanks

User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by JimmyJazz » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:08 am

Well, I guess we will simply go with the artist poll's formula then. Anybody have it on hand, out of curiosity?

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by Harold » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:44 pm

Count me in as a voter too.

stone37
Let's Get It On
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:39 am

Re: Greatest/Favorite Directors Poll?

Post by stone37 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:10 am

I'll vote.

Post Reply