Film Sites

Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Film Sites

Post by Mattceinicram »

I was wondering if there are any good aggregate film sites like their are for music with Anydecentmusic.com, AOTY, etc. I've been searching and really haven't found anything
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
ColmD
Are You Experienced?

Re: Film Sites

Post by ColmD »

Metacritic which also aggregates album reviews.
Rotten Tomatoes is the most famous though I tend to use their average rating rather than tomatometer.
MRQE is pretty good too.

To give an idea of the amount fo reviewers it covers, I use 12 years a slave as an example
Metacritic rated using 49 reviews
Rotten Tomatoes used 259 reviews
MRQE used 149
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

Mattceinicram wrote: I've been searching and really haven't found anything
Well, that's funny. Not finding metacritic or RT on a search for film aggs is like not finding trees in the woods.

Metacritic emphasizes on the quality of the crix that's why the amount of sources counted is lower.
For the french knowers there's also http://www.allocine.fr/. Aggs all important french film sources.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned TheyShootPictures.com. That is the bonafide movie version of Acclaimedmusic and I use it as much as this site.

Unfortunately, that's the only really, really good one I can think of. RottenTomatoes is a useful review aggregator, but it has its limitations and of course doesn't take critics' lists into account. A useful site for newer films, when you become impatient waiting for They Shoot Pictures' annual update of their 21st Century list, is CriticsTop10.com, which collects EOY lists. But that has its limitations too. It's a good starting point to see what are the most acclaimed movies of the year, but things like awards and non-EOY lists aren't taken into account. I think the 21st Century list on TSP is more accurate as far as quality goes, but still, CriticsTop10 is very helpful for when you want a larger sample of movies to explore.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Well, this question depends on what you are looking for...

If you want an all-time meta-list for cinema like AM, then look no further than TheyShootPicturesDon'tThey? Seriously, one of my most frequented websites, it is easily the most definitive film list you will find, taken from over a thousand individual critics and filmmakers top ten favorite films lists plus polls from film institutes and publications and magazine greatest film lists. It is simply amazing.

As for EOY, there is Rotten Tomatoes, but I've never really cared for that site, in all honesty. The way that they weigh review scores is very flawed IMO, and often can be based on a "loved"/"hated" split that never takes into account mixed reviews that are in between. Also, sometimes they claim that a rather mixed review is actually "fresh", and that a seemingly more positive review is "rotten", so how they compile their aggregate scores is often outright suspicion-inducing to me.

There was another site that I used to frequent that I have forgotten the name of recently, but I definitely found it to be a much better aggregate site for EOY than RT. When I can recall it, I will definitely tell you about it. Of course, you can also use the TSPDT 21st Century list for the best films from each year and the current century... But they are only posted at the beginning of the new year so you have to be patient. They base those lists, much like the all-time list, on various top tens published by critics at the end of the year, rather than the reviews themselves, so I personally find it much more useful as it takes into account hindsight at the end of the year and not spur of the moment review scores.

BTW, Irreduciblekoan, the TSPDT 21st century list, as well as the Top 1000 all-time, does not take awards into account at all, nor should be IMO, as those things are biased beyond all belief and are staged. I honestly don't think that Henrik should be accounting for Grammy Awards either, personally, though I think that the Grammy "Hall of Fame" entries should be in the database certainly. The EOY sources that TSPDT relies upon the most are the big film polls, like Indiewire, Film Comment, Village Voice, Sight & Sound, Cahiers du Cinema, etc.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Hmm, I was under the impression that more prestigious awards such as those at Cannes and Berlin were taken into account at TSPDT. It was my thinking that that was the reason Inside Llewyn Davis came into the 21st Century list higher than 12 Years a Slave, despite the splash on EOY lists that 12 Years a Slave made. I imagined that Llewyn Davis's Cannes Grand Prix, among other accolades, nudged it over 12 Years a Slave. Guess I was mistaken.

Edit: In my opinion, every little thing (including awards) should be taken into account on sites such as AM and TSPDT. Sure, they shouldn't hold as much weight as lists, but they should still be part of the formula, because they exist, they mean something, and there are prestigious awards out there that, I believe, mean quite a bit. Winning the Golden Palm or Grand Prix at Cannes, for example, or the Golden Bear at Berlin, is no small thing and any film aggregate site should count such accomplishments at least a little bit.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Well, if you want to tell Bill Georgaris about how you feel, you can always suggest it to him via email. He has his address on the site, and is always looking for any feedback. I myself sent him some lists awhile back before the recent update. I can see your point on SOME of the awards (i.e. Canne or Venice or Berlin, the big prestigious and international most importantly film festivals) but if the Oscars were ever weighed on the site, I would stop using it, in all seriousness. It would completely destroy its whole credibility in my eyes. Just my opinion, though.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

I should of specified besides Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes. My mistake
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

irreduciblekoan wrote:Hmm, I was under the impression that more prestigious awards such as those at Cannes and Berlin were taken into account at TSPDT. It was my thinking that that was the reason Inside Llewyn Davis came into the 21st Century list higher than 12 Years a Slave, despite the splash on EOY lists that 12 Years a Slave made. I imagined that Llewyn Davis's Cannes Grand Prix, among other accolades, nudged it over 12 Years a Slave. Guess I was mistaken.

Edit: In my opinion, every little thing (including awards) should be taken into account on sites such as AM and TSPDT. Sure, they shouldn't hold as much weight as lists, but they should still be part of the formula, because they exist, they mean something, and there are prestigious awards out there that, I believe, mean quite a bit. Winning the Golden Palm or Grand Prix at Cannes, for example, or the Golden Bear at Berlin, is no small thing and any film aggregate site should count such accomplishments at least a little bit.
Personally, I'm glad both AM and TSPDT don't count awards for their lists. Awards often turn out to be quite outdated after a couple of years (if not right away), while most critcs lists get an update once in a while. Also, awards are generally more prone to be influenced by politics and it's antics.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”