Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

User avatar
Elder
Let's Get It On
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by Elder » Sun May 24, 2020 1:15 am

. I think we have to see reality more broadly, see everything as part of a whole and Rockeiros just stop wanting to standardize everything.
And as McQueen said, the best opinion is mine!

. Curiosamete I wrote this shit thinking about Under the Table and It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

And the most important thing is a list of songs and not the best artists.
Losing My Edge

Hymie
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2332
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by Hymie » Sun May 24, 2020 1:18 am

StevieFan13 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:27 pm
Also, Hymie: say whatever you’d like, but history seems to have permanently ignored the actual debut singles.
No, the people who did the list did not know about them.

User avatar
Elder
Let's Get It On
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by Elder » Sun May 24, 2020 1:19 am

Finally, I would like to say that I am not a manufactured artist, and if someone is offended by my compositions, it is all the fault of the reader.

Love you all

:greetings-waveyellow: :romance-kisscheek:
Losing My Edge

Hymie
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2332
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by Hymie » Sun May 24, 2020 1:26 am

If being revolutionary is a big part of the criteria, how the fuck does RS not have "Rapper's Delight" on the list?

User avatar
Elder
Let's Get It On
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by Elder » Sun May 24, 2020 1:40 am

Hymie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:26 am
If being revolutionary is a big part of the criteria, how the fuck does RS not have "Rapper's Delight" on the list?
Revolution as a criterion was only addressed in the discussions here on the forum.
But this is a huge omission.
Losing My Edge

User avatar
Sweepstakes Ron
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2208
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:32 pm
Location: Here, There, and Everywhere

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by Sweepstakes Ron » Sun May 24, 2020 1:46 am

I want to say "Rapper's Delight" was excluded because The Sugarhill Gang's discography does not have a lot of long-lasting impact beyond that, but that reasoning obviously doesn't work because I've literally never heard anyone mention a second song by The Weather Girls.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash

User avatar
Elder
Let's Get It On
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by Elder » Sun May 24, 2020 1:51 am

StevieFan13 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:21 pm
Can we acknowledge that one of the writers of the list wrote a really thoughtful and enlightening response to Rob’s post? Thank you for coming here and being a part of our discourse! I enjoy this list and if anything I respect Britney even more now.
Do we have an RS member on this topic? This is amazing. :o

There is not much to say, I can only thank you for your attention.

It is part of democracy to live with opinions contrary to ours.

... Baby One More Time is great ;) ;)
Losing My Edge

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4694
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by StevieFan13 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:59 am

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:46 am
I want to say "Rapper's Delight" was excluded because The Sugarhill Gang's discography does not have a lot of long-lasting impact beyond that, but that reasoning obviously doesn't work because I've literally never heard anyone mention a second song by The Weather Girls.
Evidently you've never heard "Dear Santa (Bring Me a Man This Christmas)"
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Arsalan
Strange Fruit
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:18 am

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by Arsalan » Sun May 24, 2020 6:37 am

It is hard for me to understand that songs like "I bet you look good on the dancefloor","Mr. Brightside" and "One step closer" didn't make the list instead some useless songs from One Direction,Kesha and Destiny's Child made it.If it was on me i would have put "Royals" and "Alive"(This song is so perfect) in top 5 and "Radio Free Europe" on top of the list.Some songs on the list really annoy me.

keater
Start Me Up
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by keater » Mon May 25, 2020 12:22 pm

This is a good thread on Britney's contributions to her own music.

https://twitter.com/outtathispussy/stat ... 3909033985

panam
Full of Fire
Posts: 1002
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:21 am

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by panam » Tue May 26, 2020 3:23 am

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:46 am
I want to say "Rapper's Delight" was excluded because The Sugarhill Gang's discography does not have a lot of long-lasting impact beyond that, but that reasoning obviously doesn't work because I've literally never heard anyone mention a second song by The Weather Girls.
but..."Old town road"..

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2091
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by Harold » Tue May 26, 2020 4:13 am

panam wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:23 am
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:46 am
I want to say "Rapper's Delight" was excluded because The Sugarhill Gang's discography does not have a lot of long-lasting impact beyond that, but that reasoning obviously doesn't work because I've literally never heard anyone mention a second song by The Weather Girls.
but..."Old town road"..
Well, when your debut single breaks the all-time record for longest run at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, I guess that's a pretty strong argument for inclusion. (Not saying it necessarily deserves to be there from an artistic standpoint, just assuming that's why they included it.)

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4694
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by StevieFan13 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 am

Harold wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:13 am
panam wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:23 am
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:46 am
I want to say "Rapper's Delight" was excluded because The Sugarhill Gang's discography does not have a lot of long-lasting impact beyond that, but that reasoning obviously doesn't work because I've literally never heard anyone mention a second song by The Weather Girls.
but..."Old town road"..
Well, when your debut single breaks the all-time record for longest run at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, I guess that's a pretty strong argument for inclusion. (Not saying it necessarily deserves to be there from an artistic standpoint, just assuming that's why they included it.)
It totally does though. You aren't ready for how high that sucker's gonna finish on my next all-time list.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

panam
Full of Fire
Posts: 1002
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:21 am

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by panam » Tue May 26, 2020 4:21 pm

Harold wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:13 am
panam wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:23 am
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:46 am
I want to say "Rapper's Delight" was excluded because The Sugarhill Gang's discography does not have a lot of long-lasting impact beyond that, but that reasoning obviously doesn't work because I've literally never heard anyone mention a second song by The Weather Girls.
but..."Old town road"..
Well, when your debut single breaks the all-time record for longest run at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, I guess that's a pretty strong argument for inclusion. (Not saying it necessarily deserves to be there from an artistic standpoint, just assuming that's why they included it.)
I respect your argument, but it's US-centrist. "Rapper's delight" was a Top 10 in almost all Europe (including UK) and we're talking about a brand new genre at the end of the 70's. If the position on charts is a criteria, it's almost logic that the first songs of a genre have more obstacles for entering on the pop lists.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2091
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Rolling Stone (U.S.): The 100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time

Post by Harold » Tue May 26, 2020 4:37 pm

panam wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:21 pm
Harold wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:13 am
panam wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:23 am


but..."Old town road"..
Well, when your debut single breaks the all-time record for longest run at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, I guess that's a pretty strong argument for inclusion. (Not saying it necessarily deserves to be there from an artistic standpoint, just assuming that's why they included it.)
I respect your argument, but it's US-centrist. "Rapper's delight" was a Top 10 in almost all Europe (including UK) and we're talking about a brand new genre at the end of the 70's. If the position on charts is a criteria, it's almost logic that the first songs of a genre have more obstacles for entering on the pop lists.
A list from a U.S. magazine is almost certainly going to be US-centrist by default. Again, not personally saying it's fair. And I definitely agree that omitting "Rapper's Delight" is a real oversight.

Post Reply