Thrillist - The 1000 Best Songs on Spotify

Sweepstakes Ron
Into the Groove

Thrillist - The 1000 Best Songs on Spotify

Post by Sweepstakes Ron » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:05 pm

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment ... gs-spotify

A single writer, so probably not eligible, but still worth checking out.
"Music is powerful, man. It speaks to a primal pit in our brains. It makes anyone want to get up and get their knees going!"
— Jake the Dog

Sweepstakes Ron
Into the Groove

Re: Thrillist - The 1000 Best Songs on Spotify

Post by Sweepstakes Ron » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Honestly, I never thought I'd see someone put "Baby" by Justin Bieber and "Big Church [Megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért]" by Sunn O))) in the same list, but there you have it
"Music is powerful, man. It speaks to a primal pit in our brains. It makes anyone want to get up and get their knees going!"
— Jake the Dog

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Thrillist - The 1000 Best Songs on Spotify

Post by Rob » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:32 pm

The list, as text, starts of shaky with a section focused on 'Legends', a small group of people who get the honor of getting ten songs in, whereas other artists got 10. With the exception of David Bowie these are all R&B/ Pop musicians and like that Donna Summer, Rihanna, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston are suddenly bigger legends then Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Miles Davis or Elvis Presley...

But after that short section I have to say I think it becomes quite amusing. Especially the genre part takes a broad look, with focus on sub-genres. Of course a lot were missed, but it still a good effort and I like how the top 10 for each genre are a mix of classics and deep cuts.

Too bad that the opportunity was not used to also do a bit more with other languages. There is a section for salsa and K-pop, but that's it. No J-pop, chansons or Russian throat singing. But no such list could capture the complete breadth of all music. This is a fun effort, however flawed.