(Korea) - The Golden Age of South Korean popular music: 1990s ( )

Pierre
Into the Groove

Book: The Golden Age of South Korean popular music: 1990s (before 2015)

Post by Pierre »

Disclaimer: I've been having these lists of Korean and Taiwanese albums sitting in my comp for years now, and the increasing frustration of not being able to do anything with them overcame me recently, so I decided to transliterate the lists so they could be shared here. However, I can hold my own a bit in Japanese, but I can't do shit in Korean and the Chinese languages. Therefore, I transcribed all the names and titles as best as I could, but the transcriptions herewith are to be taken with a salt mine, as they combine data available online, dubious search tricks, and, in last resort, my own Google Translate-assisted transcriptions. I had a somewhat easier time overall than I feared, as the Internet has spread well in Asia, but not all artists or albums have been mentioned or discussed by English-speaking users yet.

The transliteration of these languages is not helped by the fact that, contrary to Japanese which transliteration is well-defined, the official frames for transliteration of Korean or Chinese languages are not clear or are lousily enforced, and some sounds in both languages are transliterated in various ways (eo/oo/u in Korean, ch/zh/xh in Chinese…). The Internet has taken the habit of directly translating the album titles to avoid the issue, which is a luxury I wanted to avoid. Do we translate French, German or Spanish album titles for English-speaking audiences?

Both languages have specific additional issues. Korean albums are very often self-titled, or self-titled with a number; it seems to be a habit of their industry. So you guess how annoying it was to sort the stuff out. Chinese's issue is that they literally have two names: one in native Chinese, and one for foreign people. Most of them, at least. That's why in the Taiwan albums list, you will find a lot of notes, indicating the transliterated name and the "international" name for non-Chinese. For clarity… I hope?

I post the transliterated lists, but I also decided to post the lists in the native alphabet at the end each time, and this for two reasons: first, as I said, it was a completely amateurish endeavour, and maybe somewhat more skilful might come by and suggest better transliterations. The second reason is that you guys might want to check stuff on Youtube or Spotify despite the language barrier (one can dream), and using the Western alphabet will get you nowhere in your searches. You can try – surprisingly enough, a good amount of these albums are available around. Though sung in Korean and Chinese languages, so…

This 50 album list comes from a book titled "Golden Age of South Korean Popular Music: 1990s", according to the guy who posted it on RYM. I couldn't find any more information. It's unranked and classified by year.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Samzpoke ... ic__1990s/

[imgsize 200x200]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _album.jpg[/imgsize]

Park Hak-gi | Park Hak-gi Vol II

Shin Seung-hun | Boiji Anhneun Sarang
Shin Hae-chul | Myself
Lee Moon-sae | VII
Cho Yong-Pil | The Dreams – Vol. 13

015B | The Third Wave
Kim Hyun-chul | 32°C Yeoleum
Various Artists | '92 Naeileun Neujeuri
Bom Yeoreum Gaeul Kyeoul/SSAW | Nongdam, Geojismal Geuligo Jinsil
Seo Taiji and Boys | Seo Taiji and Boys
Han Young-ae | Han Young-ae 1992
Hyun Jin-young | New Dance 2

Kim Gun-mo | Kim Gun-Mo 2/Ping-ge [the cover art mentions "Kim Gun-Mo 2", but the album is also referred to by its most famous song, Ping-ge]
Nachseon Salamdeul | Nachseon Salamdeul
Seo Taiji and Boys | Seo Taiji and Boys II

N.EX.T | The Return of N.EX.T Part 1 – The Being
Noise | Noise 2
Deux | Rhythm Light Beat Black
Jang Hye-jin | Before the Party

Kim Kwang-seok | Dasi buleugi II [tagged as a compilation on RYM and the Korean Wikipedia, but I understand it's actually a cover album]
The Classic | Yeouya
Deux | Force Deux
Seo Taiji and Boys | Seo Taiji & Boys IV
Solid | The Magic of 8 Ball
Lee Sang-eun | Gongmudohaga
Lee Seung-hwan | Human – The Different Side
Jo Kwan-woo | My 2nd Story: Memory
Crash | To Be or Not to Be

015B | The Sixth Sense – Farewell to the World
Kang San-ae | Ppittagi Vol. 2
Noizegarden | Noizegarden
Park Jin-young | 3jib: Summer Jingle Bell
U&Me Blue | Cry... Our Wanna Be Nation!
Yoon Jong-shin | U
Jeonlamhoe | Exhibition 2
Cho Kyu Chan | The 3rd Season
Panic | Mit

Deli Spice | Deli Spice
Various Artists | A Tribute to Shin Jung Hyun
Lee Seung-hwan | Cycle
Lee Han Cheol | Doeneun Geon Doeneungeoya!
Jang Pil-soon | Naui Oeloum-i Neol Buleul Ttae
Han Sang Won | Funky Station

Misoni | Drifting
Yoon Sang | Insensible
Lee So-ra | Seulpeumgwa Bunno-e Gwanhan
Chung Won Young | 3: Young Mi Robinson
Crying Nut | Maldallija [also referred to a lot as "Speed Up Losers", but that title doesn't appear on the album's jacket]

Roller Coaster | Roller Coaster
Toy/You Hee Yeol | Toy/You Hee Yeol/A Night in Seoul | 1998 [eponymous, but wildly referred to by its first song]

Here's the list in Korean alphabet:

박학기 | 박학기 Vol II

신승훈 | 보이지 않는 사랑
신해철 | Myself
이문세 | VII
조용필 | The Dreams – Vol. 13

015B | The Third Wave
김현철 | 32°C 여름
'92 내일은 늦으리
봄여름가을겨울 | 농담, 거짓말 그리고 진실
서태지와 아이들 | Seo Taiji & Boys
한영애 | 한영애 1992
현진영 | New Dance 2

김건모 | 김건모 2/핑계
낯선 사람들 | 낯선 사람들
서태지와 아이들 | Seo Taiji and Boys II

N.EX.T | The Return of N.EX.T Part 1 – The Being
Noise | Noise 2
Deux | Rhythm Light Beat Black
장혜진 | Before the Party

김광석 | 다시 부르기 II
The Classic | 여우야
Deux | Force Deux
서태지와 아이들 | Seo Taiji & Boys IV
Solid | The Magic of 8 Ball
이상은 | 공무도하가 ~公無渡河歌~
이승환 | Human – The Different Side
조관우 | My 2nd Story: Memory
Crash | To Be or Not to Be

015B | The Sixth Sense – Farewell to the World
강산에 | 삐따기 Vol. 2
Noizegarden | Noizegarden
박진영 | 3집: 썸머 징글벨
유앤미 블루 | Cry... Our Wanna Be Nation!
윤종신 | 우/愚
전람회 | Exhibition 2
조규찬 | The 3rd Season
Panic | 밑

Deli Spice | Deli Spice
A Tribute to 신중현
이승환 | Cycle
이한철 | 되는 건 되는거야!
장필순 | 나의 외로움이 널 부를 때
한상원 | Funky Station

미선이 | Drifting
윤상 | Insensible
이소라 | 슬픔과 분노에 관한
정원영 | 3: Young Mi Robinson
Crying Nut | 말달리자

Roller Coaster | Roller Coaster
Toy/유희열 | Toy/유희열/A Night in Seoul
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Seung-ryeol Shin,Youngdae Kim,Chanwoo Park,Junhwan Oh (Korea) - The Golden Age of South Korean popular music: 1990s (200

Post by VacantJoy »

https://www-newsmp-com.translate.goog/n ... _tr_pto=sc

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Samzpoke ... sic-1990s/

https://lib-skku-edu.translate.goog/?_x ... il/2359882

BOOK
Seung-ryeol Shin,Youngdae Kim,Chanwoo Park,Junhwan Oh (Korea) - The Golden Age of South Korean popular music: 1990s (2006)
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s

Return to “South Korea”