Rolling Stone: Rihanna's 30 Greatest Songs, Ranked

Dexter
Movin' On Up

Rolling Stone: Rihanna's 30 Greatest Songs, Ranked

Post by Dexter »

Rihanna's 30 Greatest Songs, Ranked
By Jon Dolan, Brittany Spanos, Mosi Reeves, Maura Johnston, Andy Greene, Rob Sheffield, Justin Ravitz
February 20, 2018
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/list ... ed-w516720

Rihanna's tossed-off vibe and DGAF openness disguise both her musical gifts and remarkable work ethic, borne out in a cascade of hits. Who knew that the young Barbadian singer behind 2005's "Pon de Replay" would eventually sell more digital singles than any other artist (100 million–plus)? Or that she trails only Elvis, the Beatles and Madonna in Top 10s? Here, in honor of the star's 30th birthday, we wade through that robust, history-making catalog, taking stock of her best tracks to date.

30. "Lemon" (with N.E.R.D.) (2018)
29. "Man Down" (2010)
28. "Loyalty." (with Kendrick Lamar) (2017)
27. "Take Care" (with Drake) (2011)
26. "Wild Thoughts" (with DJ Khaled, Bryson Tiller) (2018)
25. "Hate That I Love You" (feat. Ne-Yo) (2007)
24. "Where Have You Been" (2011)
23. "Pour It Up" (2012)
22. "Take a Bow" (2008)
21. "Rude Boy" (2009)
20. "Kiss It Better" (2016)
19. "Disturbia" (2008)
18. "S&M" (2010)
17. "What's My Name" (feat. Drake) (2010)
16. "Bitch Better Have My Money" (2015)
15. "SOS" (2006)
14. "Work" (feat. Drake) (2016)
13. "Stay" (feat. Mikky Ekko) (2012)
12. "This Is What You Came For" (with Calvin Harris) (2016)
11. "All of the Lights" (with Kanye West, Kid Cudi) (2010)
10. "Needed Me" (2016)
9. "Don't Stop the Music" (2007)
8. "Pon de Replay" (2005)
7. "Love the Way You Lie" (with Eminem) (2010)
6. "Only Girl (in the World)" (2010)
5. "Diamonds" (2012)
4. "FourFiveSeconds" (with Paul McCartney, Kanye West) (2015)
3. "Love on the Brain" (2016)
2. "Umbrella" (feat. Jay-Z) (2007)
1. "We Found Love" (feat. Calvin Harris) (2010)
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Re: Rolling Stone: Rihanna's 30 Greatest Songs, Ranked

Post by jamieW »

I've always been a little saddened that "Russian Roulette" never receives any attention, but this might be the most glaring omission yet. (I noticed they found room for "S&M" and "Bitch Better Have My Money.") I believe it was the first song Rihanna released after being a victim of domestic violence, and (though it was written by Ne-Yo) the song feels so deeply personal, painful and vulnerable, with a powerful ending that still hits me today. The first time I heard the song, I thought it was going to be a major hit, but it came and went pretty quickly here in the U.S. I then thought it would be nominated for Grammy awards the next year, but nothing. Since then, I've noticed a lot of songs that might be a little uncomfortable to listen to are often ignored by the critics. I can't think of a more timely song than last year's "You Are the Problem Here" by First Aid Kit, but it's nowhere near the critics' top 100. Hopefully, in another fifty years, there are at least a few socially significant songs from this era ("The Blacker the Berry," perhaps?) that will be remembered alongside the biggest hits of the day, which the critics now seem to favor.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I agree with "Russian Roulette" being a gross oversight on RS' part. Same goes to "Unfaithful." "Where Have You Been" is ranked way low.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Dexter wrote:I agree with "Russian Roulette" being a gross oversight on RS' part. Same goes to "Unfaithful." "Where Have You Been" is ranked way low.
I honestly thought "Where Have You Been" shouldn't have been on the list at all.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Dexter wrote:I agree with "Russian Roulette" being a gross oversight on RS' part. Same goes to "Unfaithful." "Where Have You Been" is ranked way low.
I honestly thought "Where Have You Been" shouldn't have been on the list at all.
To each his own, I guess.

would you look at that :)
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

I have never been a fan of "Love The Way You Lie" and besides, it's mostly an Eminem track, no?

Biggest oversight is "Higher" which is a fantastic torch pop song from ANTI. Rihanna probably gave her best vocal performance to date.

I also have a soft spot for "We Ride" which is from the same era with "S.O.S". It's generic and middle-of-the-road R&B, but nostalgia rules my mind this time.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

DUPLICATE https://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/v ... ed#p183067

This was posted first though!
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s

Return to “Duplicate topics”