Discussion about further inclusion of critics' lists

Henrik
Site Admin

Discussion about further inclusion of critics' lists

Postby Henrik » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 am

I probably shouldn't do this, as I've said I'm going to relax a bit after the update, but anyway...

So far, I have not included artist lists of less than 30 songs and genre-specific lists from non-genre sources. I think I might open up these criteria though.

Lists of artist's best songs (maybe albums too)

I have used a minimum of 30 songs because of two things:
1. There could be way too many lists to handle if lists of 20 or even 10 songs would be allowed.
2. In the past, short lists limited to specific topics (say an artist) had too much or too little impact on the AM ranking, depending on how many songs that were included on AM for the artist.

But now, I have a formula that works a lot better and I think these artist lists add great value to the AM ranking. But since a limit has been set to 30, basically it's just the biggest artists that have benefitted from this so far. I think I am willing to go down to 20, or perhaps anything beyond 10. However, these lists really need to be from multiple writers, otherwise there's going to be a crazy amount of lists.

Genre-specific lists from non-genre sources

In the last update I changed the algorithm so that genre lists (from genre sources) were matched against the genre info on AM. All albums that don't belong to the genre in question were x'd out. This means that among all the albums that were not included in a genre list, only the albums that belong to the genre were hurt. Since there's no longer a penalty against music from other genres, I'm now fine with inclusions of genre-specific lists from non-genre sources too. But only for albums, since there is no genre categorisation of songs on AM (yet). I'm hoping that it will be more information on genres for songs after the release of sonemic.com.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Discussion about further inclusion of critics' lists

Postby StevieFan13 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Woo-hoo! Now ain’t that good news! I’ll stick to the rules, as ever.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

panam
Unquestionable Presence

Re: Discussion about further inclusion of critics' lists

Postby panam » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:14 pm

Interesting. It's cool to included artists songs list but I think benefits mostly anglo artists. I will try to find some artists songs lists from non anglo artists in the future.

Return to “Critics' lists”