NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

panam
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 703
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:21 am

NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby panam » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:14 pm


User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby Pierre » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Add it to the lists not decided yet thread. Hope it's eligible, because this kind of lists is absolutely essential.

1 | Joni Mitchell | Blue | 1971
2 | Lauryn Hill | The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill | 1998
3 | Nina Simone | I Put a Spell on You | 1965
4 | Aretha Franklin | I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You | 1967
5 | Missy Elliott | Supa Dupa Fly | 1997
6 | Beyoncé | Lemonade | 2016
7 | Patti Smith | Horses | 1975
8 | Janis Joplin | Pearl | 1971
9 | Amy Winehouse | Back to Black | 2006
10 | Carole King | Tapestry | 1971
11 | Dolly Parton | Coat of Many Colors | 1971
12 | Erykah Badu | Baduizm | 1997
13 | Madonna | Like a Prayer | 1989
14 | Whitney Houston | Whitney Houston | 1985
15 | Diana Ross & the Supremes | Where Did Our Love Go | 1964
16 | Fleetwood Mac | Rumours | 1977
17 | Janet Jackson | Control | 1986
18 | Lucinda Williams | Car Wheels on a Gravel Road | 1998
19 | Selena | Amor prohibido | 1994
20 | The Ronettes | Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica | 1964
21 | PJ Harvey | Rid of Me | 1993
22 | Sade | Diamond Life | 1984
23 | Aretha Franklin | Amazing Grace | 1972
24 | Loretta Lynn | Coal Miner's Daughter | 1970
25 | Ani DiFranco | Little Plastic Castle | 1998
26 | TLC | CrazySexyCool | 1994
27 | Tori Amos | Little Earthquakes | 1992
28 | Nina Simone | Nina Simone Sings the Blues | 1967
29 | Alanis Morissette | Jagged Little Pill | 1995
30 | Adele | 21 | 2011
31 | Liz Phair | Exile in Guyville | 1993
32 | Björk | Post | 1995
33 | Queen Latifah | All Hail the Queen | 1989
34 | Tina Turner | Private Dancer | 1984
35 | Blondie | Parallel Lines | 1978
36 | Grace Jones | Nightclubbing | 1981
37 | Kate Bush | Hounds of Love | 1985
38 | Odetta | It's a Mighty World | 1964
39 | Gillian Welch | Time (The Revelator) | 2001
40 | The Staple Singers | Be Altitude: Respect Yourself | 1972
41 | Tracy Chapman | Tracy Chapman | 1988
42 | Ella Fitzgerald | Sings the Johnny Mercer Song Book | 1964
43 | M.I.A. | Kala | 2007
44 | Heart | Dreamboat Annie | 1976
45 | Dusty Springfield | Dusty in Memphis | 1969
46 | Emmylou Harris | Wrecking Ball | 1995
47 | Celia Cruz | Son con Guaguanco | 1966
48 | Etta James | Rocks the House | 1964
49 | Rickie Lee Jones | Pirates | 1981
50 | Hole | Live Through This | 1994
51 | Sarah Vaughan | Sassy Swings Again | 1967
52 | Bonnie Raitt | Nick of Time | 1989
53 | Linda Ronstadt | Heart Like a Wheel | 1974
54 | Nico | Chelsea Girl | 1967
55 | The Go-Go's | Beauty and the Beat | 1981
56 | X-Ray Spex | Germfree Adolescents | 1978
57 | Mary J. Blige | What's the 411? | 1992
58 | Labelle | Nightbirds | 1974
59 | Indigo Girls | Indigo Girls | 1989
60 | Pretenders | Pretenders | 1980
61 | Destiny's Child | The Writing's on the Wall | 1999
62 | Dixie Chicks | Wide Open Spaces | 1998
63 | Madonna | Like a Virgin | 1984
64 | Spice Girls | Spice | 1996
65 | Cassandra Wilson | Blue Light 'Til Dawn | 1993
66 | Miriam Makeba | Pata Pata | 1967
67 | Sinéad O'Connor | I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got | 1990
68 | Rosanne Cash | King's Record Shop | 1987
69 | Cyndi Lauper | She's So Unusual | 1983
70 | Stevie Nicks | Bella Donna | 1981
71 | Salt-N-Pepa | Blacks' Magic | 1990
72 | The Runaways | The Runaways | 1976
73 | Astrud Gilberto | The Astrud Gilberto Album | 1965
74 | The Raincoats | The Raincoats | 1979
75 | Donna Summer | Bad Girls | 1979
76 | Tammy Wynette | Stand by Your Man | 1969
77 | Aaliyah | Aaliyah | 2001
78 | Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares [credited here to The Bulgarian State Radio & Television Choir] | Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares | 1987
79 | Portishead | Dummy | 1994
80 | Laurie Anderson | Big Science | 1982
81 | Sleater-Kinney | Dig Me Out | 1997
82 | Laura Nyro | New York Tendaberry | 1969
83 | Bobbie Gentry | Ode to Billie Joe | 1967
84 | Roberta Flack | First Take | 1969
85 | Joan Baez | Diamonds & Rust | 1975
86 | Alice Coltrane | Journey in Satchidananda | 1971
87 | X | Los Angeles | 1980
88 | k.d. lang | Ingénue | 1992
89 | Shania Twain | Come on Over | 1997
90 | Barbra Streisand [The Original Broadway Cast] | Funny Girl | 1964
91 | Alison Krauss & Union Station | New Favorite | 2001
92 | Meshell Ndegeocello | Peace Beyond Passion | 1996
93 | Britney Spears | ...Baby One More Time | 1999
94 | Sheryl Crow | Tuesday Night Music Club | 1993
95 | Shakira | ¿Donde están los ladrones? | 1998
96 | Lil' Kim | Hard Core | 1996
97 | Mariah Carey | Daydream | 1995
98 | Bikini Kill | Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah | 1993
99 | Taylor Swift | Fearless | 2008
100 | Buffy Sainte-Marie | It's My Way! | 1964
101 | Eurythmics | Touch | 1983
102 | Alabama Shakes | Sound & Color | 2015
103 | Umm Kulthum | Enta omri (You Are My Life) | 1964
104 | ESG | Come Away with ESG | 1983
105 | Sheila E. | The Glamorous Life | 1984
106 | No Doubt | Tragic Kingdom | 1995
107 | The Shangri-Las | Leader of the Pack | 1965
108 | Gladys Knight & the Pips | Imagination | 1973
109 | Against Me! | Transgender Dysphoria Blues | 2014
110 | Miranda Lamber | Platinum | 2014
111 | Diamanda Galás | The Litanies of Satan | 1982
112 | Mercedes Sosa | Mercedes Sosa en Argentina | 1982
113 | Aretha Franklin | Young, Gifted and Black | 1972
114 | Reba McEntire | Rumor Has It | 1990
115 | La Lupe & Tito Puente | La pareja | 1978
116 | Macy Gray | On How Life Is | 1999
117 | Joan Jett | I Love Rock 'n' Roll | 1981
118 | Chaka Khan | I Feel for You | 1984
119 | The Slits | Cut | 1979
120 | Anita Baker | Rapture | 1986
121 | Joni Mitchell | Hejira | 1976
122 | Siouxsie and the Banshees | The Scream | 1978
123 | Cris Williamson | The Changer and the Changed: A Record of the Times | 1975
124 | Carly Simon | No Secrets | 1972
125 | Fiona Apple | Tidal | 1996
126 | The Carpenters | A Song for You | 1972
127 | Sonic Youth | Sister | 1987
128 | Pauline Oliveros, Stuart Dempster & Panaiotis | Deep Listening | 1989
129 | Marianne Faithfull | Broken English | 1979
130 | Teena Marie | Wild and Peaceful | 1979
131 | Shirley Horn | I Thought About You - Live at Vine St. | 1987
132 | Shelby Lynne | I Am Shelby Lynne | 2000
133 | Fanny | Fanny Hill | 1972
134 | Solange | A Seat at the Table | 2016
135 | The B-52's | The B-52's | 1979
136 | Yoko Ono | Plastic Ono Band | 1970
137 | Ofra Haza | 50 Gates of Wisdom (Yemenite Songs) | 1987
138 | Cocteau Twins | Heaven or Las Vegas | 1990
139 | The Bangles | All Over the Place | 1984
140 | Norah Jones | Come Away with Me | 2002
141 | Joanna Newsom | Ys | 2006
142 | Iris DeMent | My Life | 1993
143 | Robyn | Body Talk | 2010
144 | The Breeders | Last Splash | 1993
145 | Oumou Sangaré | Moussolou (Women) | 1989
146 | Patty Griffin | Flaming Red | 1998
147 | Meredith Monk | Dolmen Music | 1981
148 | Terri Lyne Carrington | The Mosaic Project | 2011
149 | Alicia Keys | Songs in A Minor | 2001
150 | The Roches | The Roches | 1979



Pretty neat for an unfortunately rare exercice. Still, I won't play the party-pooper too much but there are a lot of personal favourites and other names that I believe are important who are not featured here (Grimes, Carly Rae Jepsen, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Neneh Cherry, Pat Benatar, Rihanna, Jefferson Airplane may count if Sonic Youth and Fleetwood Mac do, the Mamas & the Papas, heavy metal acts, French chanteuses, Carla Bley, Jun Togawa, Akiko Yano, Mala Rodriguez, Mecano, Violeta Parra, Yma Sumac, Cesária Évora, Maria Bethânia, Marika Gombitová...). Whatever, it's already cool that such a list exists in the first place.

User avatar
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3996
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby StevieFan13 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm

What a great find! And yay, an Israeli album on a non-Israeli list!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby Nick » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Not a single album by St. Vincent? Ouch...

User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby Pierre » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:34 am

Nick wrote:Not a single album by St. Vincent? Ouch...


A lot of modern artists took the shaft: Grimes, Julia Holter, Angel Olsen, Warpaint, and in older ones, Cat Power or Neko Case... While writing the list down, I almost thought Joanna Newsom wouldn't make it, until she popped up at #141. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert and Adele are here. I'm still not sure we can blame the list for leaning toward the mainstream even though there's room for many major pop acts, as it does feature some punk and alternative acts and does explore a bit beyond the English-speaking world. I dunno.

User avatar
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1482
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:22 am

Pierre wrote:Whatever, it's already cool that such a list exists in the first place.


Yes and no. It's true that women are still ignored too much on many lists (although their albums are getting more acclaim nowadays; part of the problem was that they didn't get much attention during the so-called golden days of the sixties). The problem of such a list is that it posits women as a specialty group, perhaps as a genre. It makes them once again an Other. I know this list is meant to be positive, but the fact that nobody would ever see a male-only list as necessary shows we haven't got complete equality yet. You mention yourself a lot of artists that deserve an album on the list. There are even more and most of the women that do rank have multiple deserving albums. 150 is really small for such a small group.

Not that the albums selected are bad choices.

User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby Pierre » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:45 am

Rob wrote:
Pierre wrote:Whatever, it's already cool that such a list exists in the first place.


Yes and no. It's true that women are still ignored too much on many lists (although their albums are getting more acclaim nowadays; part of the problem was that they didn't get much attention during the so-called golden days of the sixties). The problem of such a list is that it posits women as a specialty group, perhaps as a genre. It makes them once again an Other. I know this list is meant to be positive, but the fact that nobody would ever see a male-only list as necessary shows we haven't got complete equality yet. You mention yourself a lot of artists that deserve an album on the list. There are even more and most of the women that do rank have multiple deserving albums. 150 is really small for such a small group.

Not that the albums selected are bad choices.


I see your points and of course I agree. Hopefully the day will come where we'll have lists with a real 50/50 ratio between women and men. And also, I agree 150 is way too short. In the meantime, it's always a good thing to have it so as to balance things out a bit here on AM.

User avatar
babydoll
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby babydoll » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Pierre wrote:A lot of modern artists took the shaft: Grimes, Julia Holter, Angel Olsen, Warpaint, and in older ones, Cat Power or Neko Case... While writing the list down, I almost thought Joanna Newsom wouldn't make it, until she popped up at #141. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert and Adele are here.

Taylor Swift's Red and 1989 are two of my favorite albums of all time. I think Taylor deserves a spot on here. However, I'm not so sure that Fearless should have been the one to represent Taylor, though. Just because she's not indie doesn't mean she's bad.

User avatar
prosecutorgodot
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:53 am
Location: San Francisco, California

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby prosecutorgodot » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Relatively dull list here, but definitely DEFINITELY we need more of these kinds of lists!

User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby Pierre » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:30 pm

babydoll wrote:
Pierre wrote:A lot of modern artists took the shaft: Grimes, Julia Holter, Angel Olsen, Warpaint, and in older ones, Cat Power or Neko Case... While writing the list down, I almost thought Joanna Newsom wouldn't make it, until she popped up at #141. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert and Adele are here.

Taylor Swift's Red and 1989 are two of my favorite albums of all time. I think Taylor deserves a spot on here. However, I'm not so sure that Fearless should have been the one to represent Taylor, though. Just because she's not indie doesn't mean she's bad.


Yeah, I only meant that the list tended to lean toward the mainstream for the last decade, even though there were some more alternative stuff before, and I found it odd. I didn't want to criticize Taylor. In fact, for the mainstream, I regret Carly Rae Jepsen and Rihanna's absence.

Now that I've seen this list, I'm left hungry for more. It would have been easy to push the concept way beyond the #150 mark.

User avatar
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3996
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby StevieFan13 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Pierre wrote:
babydoll wrote:
Pierre wrote:A lot of modern artists took the shaft: Grimes, Julia Holter, Angel Olsen, Warpaint, and in older ones, Cat Power or Neko Case... While writing the list down, I almost thought Joanna Newsom wouldn't make it, until she popped up at #141. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert and Adele are here.

Taylor Swift's Red and 1989 are two of my favorite albums of all time. I think Taylor deserves a spot on here. However, I'm not so sure that Fearless should have been the one to represent Taylor, though. Just because she's not indie doesn't mean she's bad.


Yeah, I only meant that the list tended to lean toward the mainstream for the last decade, even though there were some more alternative stuff before, and I found it odd. I didn't want to criticize Taylor. In fact, for the mainstream, I regret Carly Rae Jepsen and Rihanna's absence.

Now that I've seen this list, I'm left hungry for more. It would have been easy to push the concept way beyond the #150 mark.

Could be a good idea for a tournament here, actually
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby Pierre » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:43 am

StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:
babydoll wrote:Taylor Swift's Red and 1989 are two of my favorite albums of all time. I think Taylor deserves a spot on here. However, I'm not so sure that Fearless should have been the one to represent Taylor, though. Just because she's not indie doesn't mean she's bad.


Yeah, I only meant that the list tended to lean toward the mainstream for the last decade, even though there were some more alternative stuff before, and I found it odd. I didn't want to criticize Taylor. In fact, for the mainstream, I regret Carly Rae Jepsen and Rihanna's absence.

Now that I've seen this list, I'm left hungry for more. It would have been easy to push the concept way beyond the #150 mark.

Could be a good idea for a tournament here, actually


Or a good old poll, but not so soon after the "general" albums one.

User avatar
carlos74
Start Me Up
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:51 am
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby carlos74 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:06 pm

prosecutorgodot wrote:Relatively dull list here, but definitely DEFINITELY we need more of these kinds of lists!


Rolling Stone June 22, 2012: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... e-20120622

1. Aretha Franklin: I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You
2. Joni Mitchell: Blue
3. Dusty Springfield: Dusty in Memphis
4. Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
5. Patti Smith: Horses
6. Adele: 21
7. Missy Elliott: Under Construction
8. Blondie: Parallel Lines
9. The Supremes: Anthology
10. Bikini Kill: The Singles
11. Lady Gaga: Born This Way
12. Janis Joplin: Pearl
13. Mary J Blige: My Life
14. The Pretenders: The Pretenders
15. Patsy Cline: The Patsy Cline Collection
16. Labelle: Nightbirds
17. Sleater-Kinney: The Hot Rock
18. Madonna: Like A Prayer
19. Joan Jett: Bad Reputation
20. Etta James: At Last
21. Carole King: Tapestry
22. Liz Phair: Exile in Guyville
23. Donna Summers: Bad Girls
24. Hole: Live Through This
25. Heart: Little Queen
26. Janet Jackson: Rythym Nation
27. Dionne Warwick: Presenting…
28. Yeah Yeah Yeahs: It’s Blitz!
29. M.I.A.: Kala
30. Alicia Keys: As I Am
31. PJ Harvey: Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
32. Dolly Parton: Best of Dolly Parton
33. Irma Thomas: Soul Queen of New Orleans
34. Go-Go’s: Beauty and the Beat
35. The Ronnettes: The Best of the Ronnettes
36. X-Ray Spex: Germ Free Adolescents
37. Beyonce: 4
38. Bjork: Post
39. Fiona Apple: Extraordinary Machine
40. Yoko Ono: Walking on Thin Ice
41. Cyndi Lauper: She’s So Unusual
42. Linda Ronstadt: Heart Like a Wheel
43. Lauryn Hill: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
44. Sioxsie and the Banshees: Once Upon a Time
45. Taylor Swift: Speak Now
46. Salt N Peppa: Hot, Cool and Vicious
47. Lucinda Williams: Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
48. Bonnie Raitt: Give It Up
49. The Breeders: Last Splash
50. Alanis Morissette: Jagged Little Pill

User avatar
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3996
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby StevieFan13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:53 pm

carlos74 wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:Relatively dull list here, but definitely DEFINITELY we need more of these kinds of lists!


Rolling Stone June 22, 2012: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... e-20120622

1. Aretha Franklin: I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You
2. Joni Mitchell: Blue
3. Dusty Springfield: Dusty in Memphis
4. Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
5. Patti Smith: Horses
6. Adele: 21
7. Missy Elliott: Under Construction
8. Blondie: Parallel Lines
9. The Supremes: Anthology
10. Bikini Kill: The Singles
11. Lady Gaga: Born This Way
12. Janis Joplin: Pearl
13. Mary J Blige: My Life
14. The Pretenders: The Pretenders
15. Patsy Cline: The Patsy Cline Collection
16. Labelle: Nightbirds
17. Sleater-Kinney: The Hot Rock
18. Madonna: Like A Prayer
19. Joan Jett: Bad Reputation
20. Etta James: At Last
21. Carole King: Tapestry
22. Liz Phair: Exile in Guyville
23. Donna Summers: Bad Girls
24. Hole: Live Through This
25. Heart: Little Queen
26. Janet Jackson: Rythym Nation
27. Dionne Warwick: Presenting…
28. Yeah Yeah Yeahs: It’s Blitz!
29. M.I.A.: Kala
30. Alicia Keys: As I Am
31. PJ Harvey: Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
32. Dolly Parton: Best of Dolly Parton
33. Irma Thomas: Soul Queen of New Orleans
34. Go-Go’s: Beauty and the Beat
35. The Ronnettes: The Best of the Ronnettes
36. X-Ray Spex: Germ Free Adolescents
37. Beyonce: 4
38. Bjork: Post
39. Fiona Apple: Extraordinary Machine
40. Yoko Ono: Walking on Thin Ice
41. Cyndi Lauper: She’s So Unusual
42. Linda Ronstadt: Heart Like a Wheel
43. Lauryn Hill: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
44. Sioxsie and the Banshees: Once Upon a Time
45. Taylor Swift: Speak Now
46. Salt N Peppa: Hot, Cool and Vicious
47. Lucinda Williams: Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
48. Bonnie Raitt: Give It Up
49. The Breeders: Last Splash
50. Alanis Morissette: Jagged Little Pill

I believe this one is already on the site, and another similar list is set to be added for the next update (from Flavorwire, I believe).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
carlos74
Start Me Up
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:51 am
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby carlos74 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:58 pm

StevieFan13 wrote:I believe this one is already on the site, and another similar list is set to be added for the next update (from Flavorwire, I believe).


Hi, I used the search engine but I did not find Rolling Stone's list. Flavorwire's list did not know it, thanks.

User avatar
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3996
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby StevieFan13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:59 pm

For comparison, here are the 150 Worst Albums Made by Men, as compiled by Jezebel:
http://themuse.jezebel.com/the-150-wors ... 1797242454
Surprising albums in bold.
150. Pearl Jam, No Code

149. Skinny Puppy, Too Dark Park

148. Mother Love Bone, Apple

147. Chris Brown, Graffiti

146. Ace Frehley, Ace Frehley

145. Dave Matthews Band, Before These Crowded Streets

144. Morrissey, Years of Refusal

143. Jay-Z & Linkin Park, Collision Course

142. Good Charlotte, Cardiology

141. Kanye West, 808s and Heartbreaks

140. Stevie Wonder, Characters

139. Big Sean, Finally Famous

138. Jay-Z & R. Kelly, Unfinished Business

137. Guns N Roses, Chinese Democracy

136. Diplo, Decent Work for Decent Pay

135. Dr. Dre, Dr. Dre Presents… The Aftermath

134. Tool, Ænima

133. Chief Keef, Finally Rich

132. Drake, Views (though I can see why)

131. Phish, Lawn Boy

130. David Guetta, Listen

129. Jamie Foxx, Best Night Of My Life

128. Slint, Spiderland

127. Pat Boone, the Greatest Story Ever Told

126. Flo-Rida, Wild Ones

125. Dee Dee Ramone, Dee Dee King

124. The National, Boxer (but I'm not crazy about The National either)

123. Snoop Lion, Reincarnated

122. Julio Iglesias, 1100 Bel Air Place

121. Daniel Powter, Daniel Powter

120. Yung Lean, Unknown Memory

119. Eamon, I Don’t Want You Back

118. Usher, Raymond v. Raymond

117. Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks, Pig Lib

116. Warrant, Cherry Pie

115. Prince, The Rainbow Children

114. The Crystal Method, Tweekend

113. Bon Iver, For Emma, Forever Ago

112. Soulja Boy, iSouljaBoyTellEm

111. Duran Duran, Thank You

110. Gene Simmons, Gene Simmons

109. Neil Young, Are You Passionate?

108. Michael Bolton, Soul Provider

107. Hoobastank, Every Man for Himself

106. Kula Shaker, Peasants, Pigs & Astronauts

105. The Weeknd, Kiss Land

104. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band ( :( )

103. Vanilla Ice, Bi-Polar

102. Russell Crowe & The Ordinary Fear of God, My Hand, My Heart

101. Bo Bice, 3

100. Muse, Drones

99. Lifehouse, No Name Face

98. Bobby Brown, The Masterpiece

97. The Cure, Wild Mood Swings

96. The Shins, Oh, Inverted World (Not crazy about The Shins either)

95. Philly’s Most Wanted, Get Down or Lay Down

94. Action Bronson, Mr. Wonderful

93. AC/DC, Fly on the Wall

92. U2, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (I mean, it's not The Joshua Tree, but I'd go with Pop or No Line on the Horizon for a bad U2 album, and neither are that bad)

91. Bee Gees, Living Eyes

90. Ray J, Raydiation

89. Jack White, Blunderbuss

88. Twenty One Pilots, Blurryface

87. The-Dream, IV Play

86. Swedish House Mafia, Until Now

85. Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

84. Moby, Destroyed

83. Jet, Get Born

82. Jason Mraz, We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.

81. Gavin DeGraw, Gavin DeGraw

80. Deadmau5, Random Album Title

79. Radiohead, Kid A (Never cared for it, but I don't think it's that bad)

78. Fun, Some Nights

77. One Direction, Four

76. Korn, Korn

75. Coldplay, Ghost Stories

74. Papa Roach, Infest

73. Elvis Presley, Today

72. Robbie Williams, Swing When You’re Winning

71. Giorgio Moroder, Déja-Vu

70. Weezer, Make Believe

69. Ed Sheeran, +

68. Daughtry, Leave This Town

67. Calvin Harris, I Created Disco

66. Maroon 5, Hands All Over

65. Metallica, Death Magnetic

64. Steve Miller Band, The Joker

63. Lil Wayne, Rebirth

62. Mötley Crüe, Generation Swine

61. Timbaland, Shock Value

60. Sufjan Stevens, Illinois

59. The Rolling Stones, Dirty Work

58. Borgore, #NEWGOREORDER

57. Sting, Ten Summoner’s Tales

56. Chingy, Hate It or Love It

55. Arcade Fire, The Suburbs


54. Toby Keith, Shock’n Y’all

53. Uncle Kracker, No Stranger to Shame

52. Plain White T’s, All That We Needed

51. Imagine Dragons, Smoke + Mirrors

50. Staind, Break the Cycle

49. Miles Davis, Doo Bop

48. Cee Lo Green, Heart Branch

47. 98 Degrees, Revelation

46. Ted Nugent, Cat Scratch Fever

45. Oasis, Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

44. Brad Paisley, Wheelhouse

43. Savage Garden, Savage Garden

42. Josh Groban, Closer

41. Nelly, 5.0

40. Sting, Sacred Love

39. Belle & Sebastian, Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant

38. Orgy, Punk Statik Paranoia

37. The Black Eyed Peas, Elephunk

36. Jack Johnson, In Between Dreams

35. Magic!, Primary Colours

34. Charlie Puth, Nine Track Mind

33. The Strokes, Comedown Machine

32. Enrique Iglesias, Sex and Love

31. Placebo, Placebo

30. Nickelback, Silver Side Up

29. Rapeman, Two Nuns and a Pack Mule

28. Limp Bizkit, Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water

27. Lou Reed, Metal Machine Music

26. The Doors, Strange Days (Is it just me, or have The Doors been getting a lot of hate lately?)

25. James Blunt, Back to Bedlam

24. 311, 311

23. Jay-Z, Kingdom Come

22. Barenaked Ladies, Stunt

21. Matchbox Twenty, Mad Season

20. Robin Thicke, Paula

19. Trapt, Amalgamation

18. Methods of Mayhem, A Public Disservice Announcement

17. Train, Bulletproof Picasso

16. James Taylor, Greatest Hits

15. Justin Timberlake, 20/20 Part II

14. Creed, Human Clay

13. U2, Songs of Innocence

12. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, This Unruly Mess I’ve Made

11. Joe Scarborough Band, Mystified

10. Maná, Drama y Luz

9. Eminem, Relapse

8. Bruce Willis, The Return of Bruno

7. Bob Dylan, Christmas in the Heart

6. Kevin Federline, Playing With Fire

5. Toby Keith, 35 MPH Town

4. Chainsmokers, Memories... Do Not Open

3. Lou Reed & Metallica, Lulu

2. Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Last Rebel

1. Kid Rock, Rock N Roll Jesus

Obvious choices (Hoobastank, Nickelback, Creed, Kid Rock), some I'd defend to an extent (Twenty One Pilots, Barenaked Ladies, Macklemore, "Songs of Innocence"), some big shock value entries (Kid A, Sgt. Pepper, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot). The "no blurbs so we don't have to listen to these again" justification feels like a lazy way to weasel out of explaining how the more beloved albums wound up here.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

Jackson
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby Jackson » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:50 pm

Overall interesting list that leans mainstream at times but also surprisingly finds room for Alice Coltrane, Nico, the Raincoats, and Laurie Anderson (the inclusion of these artists makes me surprised/disappointed Julia Holter didn't make it).

Pierre wrote:79 | Portishead | Dummy | 1994


I wonder how this one ended up on here given the band is 2/3 male.

Jackson
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby Jackson » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:55 pm

Pierre wrote:
Rob wrote:
Pierre wrote:Whatever, it's already cool that such a list exists in the first place.


Yes and no. It's true that women are still ignored too much on many lists (although their albums are getting more acclaim nowadays; part of the problem was that they didn't get much attention during the so-called golden days of the sixties). The problem of such a list is that it posits women as a specialty group, perhaps as a genre. It makes them once again an Other. I know this list is meant to be positive, but the fact that nobody would ever see a male-only list as necessary shows we haven't got complete equality yet. You mention yourself a lot of artists that deserve an album on the list. There are even more and most of the women that do rank have multiple deserving albums. 150 is really small for such a small group.

Not that the albums selected are bad choices.


I see your points and of course I agree. Hopefully the day will come where we'll have lists with a real 50/50 ratio between women and men. And also, I agree 150 is way too short. In the meantime, it's always a good thing to have it so as to balance things out a bit here on AM.


I'm all for increased popularity of female artists, but why should there be a 50/50 ratio between men and women? In genres like rap, punk, electronic, jazz, metal, etc. there simply aren't enough female artists who've made music worthy of being included in all-time lists (though women have contributed some important albums in each of those genres).

User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby Pierre » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:58 am

Jackson wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Rob wrote:
Yes and no. It's true that women are still ignored too much on many lists (although their albums are getting more acclaim nowadays; part of the problem was that they didn't get much attention during the so-called golden days of the sixties). The problem of such a list is that it posits women as a specialty group, perhaps as a genre. It makes them once again an Other. I know this list is meant to be positive, but the fact that nobody would ever see a male-only list as necessary shows we haven't got complete equality yet. You mention yourself a lot of artists that deserve an album on the list. There are even more and most of the women that do rank have multiple deserving albums. 150 is really small for such a small group.

Not that the albums selected are bad choices.


I see your points and of course I agree. Hopefully the day will come where we'll have lists with a real 50/50 ratio between women and men. And also, I agree 150 is way too short. In the meantime, it's always a good thing to have it so as to balance things out a bit here on AM.


I'm all for increased popularity of female artists, but why should there be a 50/50 ratio between men and women? In genres like rap, punk, electronic, jazz, metal, etc. there simply aren't enough female artists who've made music worthy of being included in all-time lists (though women have contributed some important albums in each of those genres).


I always go by the perhaps idealistic assumption that we believe some genres have less great female artists because they have in average less media coverage than male artists, and for reasons that can lead to endless discussions less commercial success.

Perhaps in hip-hop I'm wrong. In electronic, punk, jazz and metal, I'm actually more optimistic. If you go read the specialist press in these genres, they will most likely reflect far more male artists than female ones, but you will also discover a decent amount of great female acts you just never heard about elsewhere. I recently experienced that myself in both metal and electronic music.

User avatar
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3996
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

Postby StevieFan13 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:21 pm

StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:
babydoll wrote:Taylor Swift's Red and 1989 are two of my favorite albums of all time. I think Taylor deserves a spot on here. However, I'm not so sure that Fearless should have been the one to represent Taylor, though. Just because she's not indie doesn't mean she's bad.


Yeah, I only meant that the list tended to lean toward the mainstream for the last decade, even though there were some more alternative stuff before, and I found it odd. I didn't want to criticize Taylor. In fact, for the mainstream, I regret Carly Rae Jepsen and Rihanna's absence.

Now that I've seen this list, I'm left hungry for more. It would have been easy to push the concept way beyond the #150 mark.

Could be a good idea for a tournament here, actually

Can we just say that I totally called it?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)


Return to “Critics' lists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot] and 23 guests