Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post Reply
User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4413
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post by StevieFan13 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:03 am

http://loudwire.com/most-game-changing- ... -all-time/
Almost done!

At the Gates, 'Slaughter of the Soul' (1995)
Bad Religion, 'Suffer' (1988)
Black Flag, 'My War' (1984)
Black Sabbath, 'Black Sabbath' (1970)
Blasphemy, 'Fallen Angel of Doom...' (1990)
Cannibal Corpse, 'Butchered at Birth' (1991)
Carcass, 'Symphonies of Sickness' (1989)
Darkthrone, 'A Blaze in the Northern Sky' (1992)
Death, 'Human' (1991)
Deep Purple, 'In Rock' (1970)
Entombed, 'Wolverine Blues' (1993)
Green Day, 'Dookie' (1994)
Guns N' Roses, 'Appetite for Destruction' (1987)
Helloween, 'Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II' (1988)
Iron Maiden, 'Killers' (1981)
Jane's Addiction, 'Nothing's Shocking' (1988)
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, 'Are You Experienced' (1967)
Job for a Cowboy, 'Doom' EP (2005)
Judas Priest, 'Sad Wings of Destiny' (1976)
King Crimson, 'In the Court of the Crimson King' (1969)
Korn, 'Korn' (1994)
Led Zeppelin, 'Led Zeppelin' (1969)
Mayhem, 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' (1994)
Metallica, 'Kill 'Em All' (1983)
Metallica, 'Metallica' aka 'The Black Album' (1991)
Morbid Angel, 'Altars of Madness' (1989)
Ministry, 'The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste' (1989)
Minor Threat, 'Filler' EP (1981)
Motley Crue, 'Too Fast for Love' (1981)
Motorhead, 'Overkill' (1979)
Napalm Death, 'Scum' (1987)
Necrophagist, 'Epitaph' (2004)
Nine Inch Nails, 'Pretty Hate Machine' (1989)
Nirvana, 'Nevermind' (1991)
Opeth, 'My Arms, Your Hearse' (1998)
Ozzy Osbourne, 'Blizzard of Ozz' (1980)
Pantera, 'Cowboys From Hell' (1990)
Rage Against the Machine, 'Rage Against the Machine' (1992)
Ramones, 'Ramones' (1976)
Sex Pistols, 'Never Mind the Bollocks' (1977)
Slayer, 'Reign in Blood' (1986)
Suffocation, 'Effigy of the Forgotten' (1991)
System of a Down, 'Toxicity' (2001)
The Dillinger Escape Plan, 'Calculating Infinity' (1999)
The Stooges, 'The Stooges' (1969)
Tool, 'Ænima' (1996)
Type O Negative, 'Bloody Kisses' (1993)
Van Halen, 'Van Halen' (1978)
Venom, 'Black Metal' (1982)
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Pierre
Keep On Movin'
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post by Pierre » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:11 am

This one's decidedly death + doom + black metal-oriented... I guess that's the state of mind of the metal community right now. Personally not my favourite subgenres of the beast.

As a side-note, I think you forgot to add this one in the lists-not-decided-yet thread :P

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4413
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post by StevieFan13 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 am

Pierre wrote:This one's decidedly death + doom + black metal-oriented... I guess that's the state of mind of the metal community right now. Personally not my favourite subgenres of the beast.

As a side-note, I think you forgot to add this one in the lists-not-decided-yet thread :P
I'll admit, the idea of an album called "Altars of Madness" sitting alongside the likes of Horses and Astral Weeks is bizarre, but I have to thank you a million times over for adding all those metal lists (especially since the hip-hop/Radio X lists made for a lot of adding). I'm trying to get more into metal - I'm listening to the Rock Hard 250 songs list - but the harder genres are not my thing at all.

And d'oh! Will do. I'm all done now.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4413
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post by StevieFan13 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:24 am

And for all the death metal, at least it's balanced out with (relatively) lighter stuff like Nevermind or Dookie.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Pierre
Keep On Movin'
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post by Pierre » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 am

StevieFan13 wrote:[
I'll admit, the idea of an album called "Altars of Madness" sitting alongside the likes of Horses and Astral Weeks is bizarre, but I have to thank you a million times over for adding all those metal lists (especially since the hip-hop/Radio X lists made for a lot of adding). I'm trying to get more into metal - I'm listening to the Rock Hard 250 songs list - but the harder genres are not my thing at all.

And d'oh! Will do. I'm all done now.
You're welcome and yeah, same here. I've been trying to use this opportunity to discover more metal but I'm not fond of what's coming after the late 80s in metal (not counting grunge and skate-punk). Not yet, perhaps :D It's less fun to my ears, but perhaps I'm not in the right state of mind.

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4413
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post by StevieFan13 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:25 am

Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:[
I'll admit, the idea of an album called "Altars of Madness" sitting alongside the likes of Horses and Astral Weeks is bizarre, but I have to thank you a million times over for adding all those metal lists (especially since the hip-hop/Radio X lists made for a lot of adding). I'm trying to get more into metal - I'm listening to the Rock Hard 250 songs list - but the harder genres are not my thing at all.

And d'oh! Will do. I'm all done now.
You're welcome and yeah, same here. I've been trying to use this opportunity to discover more metal but I'm not fond of what's coming after the late 80s in metal (not counting grunge and skate-punk). Not yet, perhaps :D It's less fun to my ears, but perhaps I'm not in the right state of mind.
It's an acquired taste to be sure. Also: second only to Nevermind, Metallica's Black Album may be the biggest beneficiary of the new lists, since a lot of pop and rock lists include it in addition to the metal lists.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Pierre
Keep On Movin'
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post by Pierre » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:57 am

StevieFan13 wrote:Also: second only to Nevermind, Metallica's Black Album may be the biggest beneficiary of the new lists, since a lot of pop and rock lists include it in addition to the metal lists.
Well, bummer then, because I like the 80s Metallica albums better :mrgreen: Whatever, I got used to it.

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4413
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post by StevieFan13 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:04 am

Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Also: second only to Nevermind, Metallica's Black Album may be the biggest beneficiary of the new lists, since a lot of pop and rock lists include it in addition to the metal lists.
Well, bummer then, because I like the 80s Metallica albums better :mrgreen: Whatever, I got used to it.
First Nevermind stands a chance of bumping off Pet Sounds, now The Black Album might knock back Master of Puppets. You just can't get a break!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Pierre
Keep On Movin'
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post by Pierre » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:16 am

StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Also: second only to Nevermind, Metallica's Black Album may be the biggest beneficiary of the new lists, since a lot of pop and rock lists include it in addition to the metal lists.
Well, bummer then, because I like the 80s Metallica albums better :mrgreen: Whatever, I got used to it.
First Nevermind stands a chance of bumping off Pet Sounds, now The Black Album might knock back Master of Puppets. You just can't get a break!
Well, not eligible apparently, so this time I got one :D Is this really a single-writer list though? They do use the mighty "We". Whatever, there's probably no way to confirm.

Marlon
Let's Get It On
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:58 am

Re: Loudwire - 50 Most Game-Changing Hard Rock + Metal Albums of All Time

Post by Marlon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:04 am

Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force (1984) is missing...

Post Reply