Radio Veronica (The Netherlands) - Top 750 Songs of the '90s (2015)

Lists based on votes from readers, listeners, viewers, etc.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Radio Veronica (The Netherlands) - Top 750 Songs of the '90s (2015)

Post by StevieFan13 »

Found this while searching for international lists. Here's a link to the website: http://www.radioveronica.nl/special/ver ... s-top-750/
And here's the list itself: http://www.radioveronica.nl/specials/li ... gustus.pdf
They don't mention anything about having people vote for the songs, so I think it was chosen by the station. It also specifically says they're the "best" '90s songs, so I don't think they're judging just based on chart success. Let me know if it looks eligible and I'll transcribe it (god help me).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Radio Veronica (The Netherlands) - Top 750 Songs of the '90s (2015)

Post by StevieFan13 »

On the other hand, it doesn't explain the presence of songs from the '80s (1999, The Miracle), or, most bizarrely, the '60s (Born to Be Wild???).
EDIT: OK, so a quick Wikipedia search says it re-entered the Dutch charts in 1991, somehow. Maybe it's considered one of those decade-defining songs that wasn't actually made in that decade?
Also, another factor that makes me pretty sure this is based on quality over chart success is because I don't care where you're from, no way in hell was Creep a bigger success on the charts than a worldwide smash like I Will Always Love You. Then again, I don't know the Dutch charts very well.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Good find!
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Bruno wrote:Good find!
Thanks! Also, they have separate lists with the favorite songs of the DJs, so if the list itself doesn't turn out to be eligible, maybe those will be.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

The '80s list could count if the '90s one does. The albums one I'm less sure about, since it says to let them know which album should be #1.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

(If it does turn out that they're eligible, good on them for putting Goodnight Saigon all the way in the top 20).
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

StevieFan13 wrote:(If it does turn out that they're eligible, good on them for putting Goodnight Saigon all the way in the top 20).
Top 25, no?
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Bruno wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:(If it does turn out that they're eligible, good on them for putting Goodnight Saigon all the way in the top 20).
Top 25, no?
Oh yeah. If only it was the top 20...
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Also, between these two lists, I'm very happy at the percentage of Queen songs. They're already getting a bunch of songs onto AM, but these could hopefully help out.
750 '80s songs and not one of them are by the Smiths?!
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

I don't remember right now, but has any radio's list ever been considered eligible?
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Bruno wrote:I don't remember right now, but has any radio's list ever been considered eligible?
Yes, several times. In each case, they were lists selected by the station or the DJs as opposed to the listeners. The list I just posted from FM4 would be eligible because the editorial team selected the songs.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Bruno wrote:I don't remember right now, but has any radio's list ever been considered eligible?
Yes, several times. In each case, they were lists selected by the station or the DJs as opposed to the listeners. The list I just posted from FM4 would be eligible because the editorial team selected the songs.
Thanks.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Also, I found a '00s list that explicitly says it's voted on by the listeners, so that one's out.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I'm highly sceptical about this one. It would be good if a Dutch person could confirm if the list is a staff list (or musician/dj) or a listeners' list.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

As a Dutch speaker and someone who is familiar with the radio station (it was the main radio station at my work some 5 years ago) I can confirm that all these lists are listener's based. Radio Veronica does a lot of listener's polls and these decade lists are broadcast every year. I see that the link provided for the 90's list doesn't actually state it is a listener's list, but elsewhere on the website it does. The link to the album's list mentions the listener's input and the info for the 80's one was easy to find too. I don't think Radio Veronica ever do staff lists.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Rob wrote:As a Dutch speaker and someone who is familiar with the radio station (it was the main radio station at my work some 5 years ago) I can confirm that all these lists are listener's based. Radio Veronica does a lot of listener's polls and these decade lists are broadcast every year. I see that the link provided for the 90's list doesn't actually state it is a listener's list, but elsewhere on the website it does. The link to the album's list mentions the listener's input and the info for the 80's one was easy to find too. I don't think Radio Veronica ever do staff lists.
Thanks, Mr. Dutch Speaker Person! I had a sinking feeling that that was probably the case, but now it's confirmed. Bummer - I don't usually see decade lists this long.

Return to “Readers’ lists/public vote”