❓ Andrew Southwood - 500 Great Albums (2015)

Lists of all time (or back to the early rock years) that include all genres (or rock or pop music in a broad sense).
lagire
Into the Groove

❓ Andrew Southwood - 500 Great Albums (2015)

Post by lagire »

Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Andrew Southwood - 500 Great Albums (2015)

Post by Harold »

Who is this guy, though? This looks like a self-published book. Are we just going to start declaring eligible every list ever made by anybody?
lagire
Into the Groove

Post by lagire »

Seems to be an author in AHS Publications in London, but don't know more about relation with music.
https://ca.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Andrew/Southwood
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Harold wrote:Who is this guy, though? This looks like a self-published book. Are we just going to start declaring eligible every list ever made by anybody?

Why not?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

lagire wrote:Seems to be an author in AHS Publications in London, but don't know more about relation with music.
https://ca.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Andrew/Southwood
Hmm, I wonder what the A and S in AHS stand for...
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

panam wrote:
Harold wrote:Who is this guy, though? This looks like a self-published book. Are we just going to start declaring eligible every list ever made by anybody?
Why not?
Seriously? So, any time any self-styled music writer decides to self-publish, or post online, a list of his or her 100 or 500 favorite songs or albums, it should be deemed eligible for AM, no questions asked? Maybe Henrik should incorporate our own lists for the forthcoming albums poll (and yes, I'm aware that people in the past have actually asked, half-seriously, whether that was a possibility, and yes, I'm aware that any of our own lists probably have just as much credibility as many of the "official" ones).
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
panam wrote:
Why not?
Seriously? So, any time any self-styled music writer decides to self-publish, or post online, a list of his or her 100 or 500 favorite songs or albums, it should be deemed eligible for AM, no questions asked? Maybe Henrik should incorporate our own lists for the forthcoming albums poll (and yes, I'm aware that people in the past have actually asked, half-seriously, whether that was a possibility, and yes, I'm aware that any of our own lists probably have just as much credibility as many of the "official" ones).
If it got published by an actual company, it's more legit than just some random schmo's list.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote:If it got published by an actual company, it's more legit than just some random schmo's list.
But it's not an actual company! I'm pretty sure Southwood IS the company - I'm 99.9999% sure that this is a self-published book. Which makes him exactly the "random schmo" you mention above. Again, that doesn't negate the value of his opinions - it just means that the list shouldn't be included here.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:If it got published by an actual company, it's more legit than just some random schmo's list.
But it's not an actual company! I'm pretty sure Southwood IS the company - I'm 99.9999% sure that this is a self-published book. Which makes him exactly the "random schmo" you mention above. Again, that doesn't negate the value of his opinions - it just means that the list shouldn't be included here.
Oh yeah, like that 100 songs book I shared a while back. In which case, yeah, he is a random schmo.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Harold wrote:
Oh yeah, like that 100 songs book I shared a while back. In which case, yeah, he is a random schmo.
That 100 songs book (Eric Mack, right?) was an e-book only, while this is also a printed book. If I would exclude this list from AM, that would really be an exception from all other books that have ever been suggested to me. It is however kind of refreshing that the eligibilty is questioned by somebody else for a change. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who think there should be any rules at all. Harold, is this a one-thing, or do you think that I have accepted too many other lists, and this was the drop that got the cup to flow over (as we say in Sweden)?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Harold wrote:
That 100 songs book (Eric Mack, right?) was an e-book only, while this is also a printed book. If I would exclude this list from AM, that would really be an exception from all other books that have ever been suggested to me. It is however kind of refreshing that the eligibilty is questioned by somebody else for a change. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who think there should be any rules at all. Harold, is this a one-thing, or do you think that I have accepted too many other lists, and this was the drop that got the cup to flow over (as we say in Sweden)?
Yeah, that's the one. I try to stay mindful of the rules - only way to get an accurate picture. I remember that book of '80s and '70s songs I suggested is a similar criteria to this one, and it was declared eligible (and I sure hope it's still eligible).
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henrik wrote:That 100 songs book (Eric Mack, right?) was an e-book only, while this is also a printed book. If I would exclude this list from AM, that would really be an exception from all other books that have ever been suggested to me. It is however kind of refreshing that the eligibilty is questioned by somebody else for a change. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who think there should be any rules at all. Harold, is this a one-thing, or do you think that I have accepted too many other lists, and this was the drop that got the cup to flow over (as we say in Sweden)?
I don't know why I reacted so strongly - it might just be list fatigue, or something. Are there other similar, completely self-published books by otherwise unknown writers that are included on AM? If the only criterion is, "if it's available between actual bound covers, it's eligible," then I guess there's no need to set a precedent. But that opens the door to ... well, to exactly this kind of thing.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
Henrik wrote:That 100 songs book (Eric Mack, right?) was an e-book only, while this is also a printed book. If I would exclude this list from AM, that would really be an exception from all other books that have ever been suggested to me. It is however kind of refreshing that the eligibilty is questioned by somebody else for a change. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who think there should be any rules at all. Harold, is this a one-thing, or do you think that I have accepted too many other lists, and this was the drop that got the cup to flow over (as we say in Sweden)?
I don't know why I reacted so strongly - it might just be list fatigue, or something. Are there other similar, completely self-published books by otherwise unknown writers that are included on AM? If the only criterion is, "if it's available between actual bound covers, it's eligible," then I guess there's no need to set a precedent. But that opens the door to ... well, to exactly this kind of thing.
I think getting it published physically as opposed to digitally, especially if the author fancies themselves some kind of music critic, adds a level of legitimacy that just quickly publishing it for cheap online doesn't. And eligibility is something I've monitored with both the lists I've shared and others' (such as the recent influx of New Zealand lists).

Return to “ALL TIME”