2017 National Recording Registry

ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

2017 National Recording Registry

Post by ordinaryperson »

Comments from the LOC on each of these.

1. The 1888 London cylinder recordings of Col. George Gouraud (1888)
2. “Lift Every Voice and Sing”, Manhattan Harmony Four (1923); Melba Moore and Friends (1990)
3. “Puttin’ on the Ritz”, Harry Richman (1929)
4. “Over the Rainbow”, Judy Garland (1939)
5. “I’ll Fly Away”, The Chuck Wagon Gang (1948)
6. “Hound Dog”, Big Mama Thornton (1953)
7. Saxophone Colossus, Sonny Rollins (1956)
8. The Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Giants at the Polo Grounds, announced by Vin Scully (September 8, 1957)
9. Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs, Marty Robbins (1959)
10. The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery, Wes Montgomery (1960)
11. “People”, Barbra Streisand (1964)
12. “In the Midnight Hour”, Wilson Pickett (1965)
13. “Amazing Grace”, Judy Collins (1970)
14. “American Pie”, Don McLean (1971)
15. “All Things Considered,” first broadcast (May 3, 1971)
16. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, David Bowie (1972)
17. The Wiz, original cast album (1975)
18. Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975), Eagles (1976)
19. Scott Joplin’s Treemonisha, Gunter Schuller, arr. (1976)
20. Wanted: Live in Concert, Richard Pryor (1978)
21. “We Are Family” , Sister Sledge (1979)
22. Remain in Light, Talking Heads (1980)
23. Straight Outta Compton, N.W.A (1988)
24. Rachmaninoff’s Vespers (All-Night Vigil), Robert Shaw Festival Singers (1990)
25. Signatures, Renée Fleming (1997)

There is No More Firmament.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: 2017 National Recording Registry

Post by StevieFan13 »

Some good selections here. Someday they'll get to the 2000s...
(Side note: I actually tried sending in nominations. Sadly, doesn't look like my cheerleading for "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Hey Ya!" or Doolittle did anything).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

At the very least, I'm glad Remain in Light, Ziggy Stardust, and "In the Midnight Hour" have joined the ranks. Matter of fact, I actually remember mentioning Ziggy Stardust when submitting nominations...couldn't have hurt.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

For the record, if any of you want to make sure Doolittle gets a shot next year, you can nominate up to 40 recordings right here:
https://www.loc.gov/programs/national-r ... /nominate/
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Only saw this today.

I must admit that I'm slightly confused at to why they didn't include Elvis' version of "Hound Dog" with Big Mama Thornton's as they have done in the past (Rudy Vallee/Bing Crosby for "Brother, Can't You Spare Me a Dime" and Louis Armstrong/Bobby Darin for "Mack the Knife"), especially as it's important concerning racial issues in '50s Americana. (Just watch that Dreamgirls where that songwriter thinks it's an Elvis song through-and-through.)

And Judy Garland's "Over the Rainbow" wasn't inducted the first year? What the fuck were people thinking, leaving it out of the Registry all these years?

Maybe next year Dusty in Memphis and The Immaculate Collection will be included...
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:Only saw this today.

I must admit that I'm slightly confused at to why they didn't include Elvis' version of "Hound Dog" with Big Mama Thornton's as they have done in the past (Rudy Vallee/Bing Crosby for "Brother, Can't You Spare Me a Dime" and Louis Armstrong/Bobby Darin for "Mack the Knife"), especially as it's important concerning racial issues in '50s Americana. (Just watch that Dreamgirls where that songwriter thinks it's an Elvis song through-and-through.)

And Judy Garland's "Over the Rainbow" wasn't inducted the first year? What the fuck were people thinking, leaving it out of the Registry all these years?

Maybe next year Dusty in Memphis and The Immaculate Collection will be included...
Not entirely sure. They can be really weird about which artists get multiple recordings inducted and which cant (only one album each for the Beatles and Bob Dylan, three separate John Coltrane recordings).

Return to “REGULARLY UPDATED LISTS”