Greil Marcus - The History of Rock 'N Roll in Ten Songs (2014)

Lists by single critics or musicians, published in magazines or on websites, have lower priority. The amount of such lists would be impossible to handle.
(However, priority is given to single author lists from books, very famous music critics and artists with albums or songs ranked on Acclaimed Music. Single author lists are also more likely to get priority if they are not limited to a genre or artist.)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Greil Marcus - The History of Rock 'N Roll in Ten Songs (2014)

Post by StevieFan13 »

I'm not sure if this one's eligible. I think it's about how great each song is and its impact on rock, but I'm not sure.

https://www.amazon.com/History-Rock-Rol ... 0300187378

- The Flamin' Groovies: Shake Some Action
- Joy Division: Transmission
- The Five Satins: In the Still of the Nite
- Etta James: All I Could Do Was Cry
- Buddy Holly: Crying, Waiting, Hoping
- Barrett Strong: Money (That's What I Want)
- The Brains: Money Changes Everything
- The Drifters: This Magic Moment
- Christian Marclay: Guitar Drag
- The Teddy Bears: To Know Him is to Love Him
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Greil Marcus - The History of Rock 'N Roll in Ten Songs (2014)

Post by Harold »

It's a great book, possibly one of Marcus' considerable best, but it in no way should be eligible for Acclaimed Music. It's certainly not a list of "the ten greatest songs" - it's no more and no less than what the title implies, a collection of highly personal, idiosyncratic essays spinning off from Marcus' reflections on a particular piece of music. (Or, in the case of the Christian Marclay selection, an art installation. "Guitar Drag," as Marcus describes it, is a video/audio piece depicting a plugged-in electric guitar being dragged down a road behind a pickup truck and gradually, excruciatingly disintegrating - it's intended as a metaphor for the notorious, horrifying James Byrd murder.)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Greil Marcus - The History of Rock 'N Roll in Ten Songs (2014)

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:It's a great book, possibly one of Marcus' considerable best, but it in no way should be eligible for Acclaimed Music. It's certainly not a list of "the ten greatest songs" - it's no more and no less than what the title implies, a collection of highly personal, idiosyncratic essays spinning off from Marcus' reflections on a particular piece of music. (Or, in the case of the Christian Marclay selection, an art installation. "Guitar Drag," as Marcus describes it, is a video/audio piece depicting a plugged-in electric guitar being dragged down a road behind a pickup truck and gradually, excruciatingly disintegrating - it's intended as a metaphor for the notorious, horrifying James Byrd murder.)
Never mind, then. But it definitely makes me want to check it out more.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

Return to “Single critics & musicians”