✅ Pitchfork (US) - Best songs of the 70s

Nassim
Full of Fire

✅ Pitchfork (US) - Best songs of the 70s

Post by Nassim »

Every year at the end of August, Pitchfork releases a decade list.
Not surprisingly they are going for one of the few they haven't done yet : best songs of the 70s (so expect next year either a best albums of the 60s or a "best albums of Pitchfork lifetime" list... though I guess they have to redo the 00s at some point).

List to be revealed next week, any guesses ?
I'd bet on Heroes to top it all, though Low made it 1st on the album side and Pitchfork doesn't like having the same #1 on both... but the song opened Pitchfork 500, have to end very high.
Other guesses for the top 10 (in no order) : Good Times, I Feel Love, Trans-Europe Express, Psycho Killer, Marquee Moon, What's Going On, Tangled Up in Blue, Family Affair and London Calling (though I would not be stunned if a Stevie Wonder song made it instead of Family Affair).
Fingers crossed : Maggot Brain, By This River in the top 20 ; Search and Destroy, River Man, some Can and Wire song in the top 50.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: Pitchfork (US) - Best songs of the 70s

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Nassim wrote:River Man
One year too early. ;)

I really hoping that "Kiss Me Again" shows up somewhere. I fell in love with that song after it showed up in Unacclaimed.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: I really hoping that "Kiss Me Again" shows up somewhere. I fell in love with that song after it showed up in Unacclaimed.
I discovered it in the Pitchfork 500, so it's quite possible.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

My guesses for high spots on the list:
Heroes / Life on Mars?
I Feel Love
Marquee Moon
Tangled Up in Blue
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
Get Up (I Feel Like Being a Sex Machine)
Wuthering Heights
Move On Up
Living For the City / Superstition
What's Going On / Got to Give it Up
The Model
Disorder / Transmission
Search and Destroy
Sweet Jane
Zombie
Walk on the Wild Side / Perfect Day
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Maggot Brain

R&B is going to factor in heavily to this list...
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Could this be the chance for "Home Is Where the Hatred Is" to finally get some recognition?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Here will be the big winners...

Heroes
What's Going On
Marquee Moon
Life on Mars?
I Feel Love
Tangled Up in Blue
Superstition
Living for the City
Wuthering Heights
Maggot Brain
Thunder Road
Roadrunner
London Calling
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
September Gurls
Gloria
Pink Moon
Let's Stay Together
Zombie
The Model

...that's 20 songs right there. I'd be shocked if at least half of those songs didn't show up in their top 20.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I just got through the Pitchfork Tracks of the 1980s list! Interesting to see those top 3 (Purple Rain, Wanna Be Startin' Something, and Straight Outta Compton). I like "Rain" and "Compton", but to put "Startin'" as the #2 of the decade and the #1 MJ song, is plain wrong.

Really excited for the 70s list. I'm definitely more a tracks guy than a albums guy (but who knows, that may be shifting).
My predictions for top 20 are really similar to you guys'...
What's Going On
Life on Mars AND/OR Heroes
some Sex Pistols song
some Stevie Wonder song
Imagine
Let's Stay Together
Blitzkrieg Bop
Wuthering Heights
Bohemian Rhapsody
some The Clash song
some Bob Dylan song
Dancing Queen (pretty please, with a cherry on top)
some Bob Marley / Wailers song
some Bee Gees song
Psycho Killer (Talking Heads seem to be a favorite with Pitchfork)
some Stooges track
some Pink Floyd song
maybe Move On Up ??
some Bruce Springsteen track
maybe Marquee Moon ??

I put "some ___ song" because Pitchfork is so unpredictable with their top picks per artist! Makes reading through more interesting though.
My problem with predictions here is that I don't really know enough about influence and such.

Hopes for top 200:
I mean, I'd love for Lou Reed or Patti Smith to get in top 20, but it's iffy.
"Changes" or "Starman" for top 20!
I'd love multiple ABBA songs in there, at least 3.
I'd love some Kraftwerk, being electronic pioneers and all.
I hope "Rock Lobster" gets a good showing!
I certainly like the Eagles, but I'm not sure Pitchfork does.
Hopefully some Carole King shows up, but the 1960s list already aimed a shot at her, so not likely...
I hope Black Sabbath places high.
High hopes for Curtis Mayfield!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I definitely don't expect the traditional classic rock favorites (like Stairway to Heaven, Free Bird, Hotel California, etc) to place all too high. Though of all the traditional classic rock favorites, I could see Bohemian Rhapsody doing pretty well.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Though it would be hard to ignore "Hotel California" entirely, I indeed don't expect Eagles, Jackson Browne and other artists of their sound to perform very well, as the only kind of 70s soft rock that Pitchfork seems interested in is the one with Ariel Pink's name tagged on it.

Jokes aside, as a French I'll be hoping for a track off "Melody Nelson" or "Comme à la radio". It sometimes happens.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

prosecutorgodot wrote:I just got through the Pitchfork Tracks of the 1980s list! Interesting to see those top 3 (Purple Rain, Wanna Be Startin' Something, and Straight Outta Compton). I like "Rain" and "Compton", but to put "Startin'" as the #2 of the decade and the #1 MJ song, is plain wrong.

Really excited for the 70s list. I'm definitely more a tracks guy than a albums guy (but who knows, that may be shifting).
What's Going On
Life on Mars AND/OR Heroes
some Sex Pistols song
some Stevie Wonder song
Imagine
Let's Stay Together
Blitzkrieg Bop
Wuthering Heights
Bohemian Rhapsody
some The Clash song
some Bob Dylan song
Dancing Queen (pretty please, with a cherry on top)
some Bob Marley / Wailers song
some Bee Gees song
Psycho Killer (Talking Heads seem to be a favorite with Pitchfork)
some Stooges track
some Pink Floyd song
maybe Move On Up ??
maybe Marquee Moon ??

I put "some ___ song" because Pitchfork is so unpredictable with their top picks per artist! Makes reading through more interesting though.
My problem with predictions here is that I don't really know enough about influence and such.

Hopes for top 200:
I mean, I'd love for Lou Reed or Patti Smith to get in top 20, but it's iffy.
"Changes" or "Starman" for top 20!
I hope "Rock Lobster" gets a good showing!
I certainly like the Eagles, but I'm not sure Pitchfork does.
Hopefully some Carole King shows up, but the 1960s list already aimed a shot at her, so not likely...
I hope Black Sabbath places high.
High hopes for Curtis Mayfield!
There was nothing wrong with putting that song at #2. It's a great song and one of my favorite MJ songs of all time.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Really excited for the 70s list. I'm definitely more a tracks guy than a albums guy (but who knows, that may be shifting).
Imagine
Bohemian Rhapsody
some Pink Floyd song

Hopes for top 200:
It's Pitchfork so no way Imagine and Bohemian Rhapsody are in the top 20 and Pink Floyd seems very unlikely. Springsteen is a possibility, pretty sure shot for top 100, but top 20 seems unlikely (he had no album in their 70s top 100)
Once again, it's Pitchfork, so Kraftwerk in the top 20 is a sure shot, most likely even top 10. Trans-europe-express was their #6 album of the 70s, and the title song is one of the first in the Pitchfork 500.
No way Abba gets 3 songs, they try not to put the same band too much in their tops (Prince in the 80s having 5 songs is probably the one big exception). One song is pretty much a given, 2 possibly, not 3.

Bowie will get at least 3 songs, The Clash too (at least London Calling, White Man (in Hammersmith Palais) and Guns of Brixton), Talking Heads possibly 3 (Psycho Killer, the Memories Can't Wait and another one), maybe Kraftwerk and Stevie Wonder too, even less likely Elvis Costello but that's probably all (maybe the Wailers or Black Sabbath have a shot though, which would be nice, but I'd bet on 2 each).
Though it's quite likely that Iggy + the Stooges will get to 3, same for Eno + Roxy Music.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I don't think the Eagles will make the list at all, and if Queen does, it probably won't be Bohemian Rhapsody. Led Zeppelin will definitely make the list, probably multiple times, but it's anyone's guess which song(s) they'd choose (I hope When the Levee Breaks).

They haven't been mentioned yet, but Wire's Outdoor Miner and Althea and Donna's Uptown Top Ranking are dark horses for high placements on this list.

Very curious to see which Brian Eno and Can songs make it...they're often ignored on songs lists, but they won't be here.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Jackson wrote:
Very curious to see which Brian Eno and Can songs make it...they're often ignored on songs lists, but they won't be here.
I'm thinking "Yoo Doo Right" for can.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
Jackson wrote:
I'm thinking "Yoo Doo Right" for can.
Except it was released in 1969 and it already made their 1960's list.
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jackson wrote:I don't think the Eagles will make the list at all, and if Queen does, it probably won't be Bohemian Rhapsody
I don't think the Eagles will make the list either, or if they do, they'll have "Hotel California" down at #196 or something.

"Bohemian Rhapsody", on the other hand, is probably the only Queen song I could see them putting on the list. I actually expect it to rank fairly high, though probably not in the top 20. And why not? Pitchfork usually shy away from the classic rock staples in favor of the artsier stuff, and while "Bohemian Rhapsody" may be the quintessential classic rock staple, it is a pretty damn weird, artsy song after all. I'd be surprised if they didn't include it.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Nassim wrote:Every year at the end of August, Pitchfork releases a decade list.
Not surprisingly they are going for one of the few they haven't done yet : best songs of the 70s (so expect next year either a best albums of the 60s or a "best albums of Pitchfork lifetime" list... though I guess they have to redo the 00s at some point).
I sometimes just wish Pitchfork would just go ahead to do an all-time list for albums and songs. I know they did one for songs, but that was a weird format. I just wish they would just do a ranking and all that jazz. Their list can't be any worse than Rolling Stone's.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

babydoll wrote:
Nassim wrote:Every year at the end of August, Pitchfork releases a decade list.
I sometimes just wish Pitchfork would just go ahead to do an all-time list for albums and songs. I know they did one for songs, but that was a weird format. I just wish they would just do a ranking and all that jazz. Their list can't be any worse than Rolling Stone's.
Maybe that's coming next August? Would be an interesting project; it feels like there hasn't been a standard "all-time" list from a major publication in a while.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Also, just had a realization that there's a very good chance Pitchfork would put "Spanish Bombs" on their list. Think about it, an offbeat pick by a highly acclaimed group. If they do, that'll be amazing, as it would surely put the song on AM. "Spanish Bombs" has to be in my top 5 songs not ranked or bubbling under so I'm happy if this prediction comes true.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

bootsy wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:I just got through the Pitchfork Tracks of the 1980s list! Interesting to see those top 3 (Purple Rain, Wanna Be Startin' Something, and Straight Outta Compton). I like "Rain" and "Compton", but to put "Startin'" as the #2 of the decade and the #1 MJ song, is plain wrong.
There was nothing wrong with putting that song at #2. It's a great song and one of my favorite MJ songs of all time.
The one thing that I love and hate about Pitchfork lists is that they take musical pretentiousness to another level. I love it when they introduce us to the works of lesser known but talented artists overlooked by other musical publications but I hate it when they seem to include some "left of the field" song by an established acclaimed artist just to create buzz and self-congratulate itself for its quirkiness. "Wanna Be Startin' Something" is not even the 3rd best Thriller song even if you judge it on its intrinsic merit and exclude chart position and cultural impact. "ONE of my favorite MJ songs" is not as persuasive as the one favorite or definitive MJ song.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Dexter wrote:
bootsy wrote:
The one thing that I love and hate about Pitchfork lists is that they take musical pretentiousness to another level. I love it when they introduce us to the works of lesser known but talented artists overlooked by other musical publications but I hate it when they seem to include some "left of the field" song by an established acclaimed artist just to create buzz and self-congratulate itself for its quirkiness. "Wanna Be Startin' Something" is not even the 3rd best Thriller song even if you judge it on its intrinsic merit and exclude chart position and cultural impact. "ONE of my favorite MJ songs" is not as persuasive as the one favorite or definitive MJ song.
Well to you it's not to me it is. It is my 2nd favorite song on that album behind Human Nature and of one of my favorite MJ songs period. So typing all that stuff out before you got to the main point makes no difference to me. I love that Pitchfork put it where it put it.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I agree: yours is yours mine's mine. I said my piece and I don't care if it makes a difference to you; I did not set out and comment to change your mind.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Nick wrote:Here will be the big winners...

Heroes
What's Going On
Marquee Moon
Life on Mars?
I Feel Love
Tangled Up in Blue
Superstition
Living for the City
Wuthering Heights
Maggot Brain
Thunder Road
Roadrunner
London Calling
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
September Gurls
Gloria
Pink Moon
Let's Stay Together
Zombie
The Model

...that's 20 songs right there. I'd be shocked if at least half of those songs didn't show up in their top 20.
The actual rankings...

1. Life on Mars?
2. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
3. What's Going On
4. I Feel Love
5. Wuthering Heights
6. Heroes
8. Marquee Moon
13. Let's Stay Together
14. Living for the City
20. Gloria
23. Tangled Up in Blue
46. Pink Moon
48. London Calling
53. Zombie
59. Superstition
62. Roadrunner
63. Maggot Brain
67. September Gurls

Not Ranked:

Thunder Road
The Model

Looks like my prediction came true! Half the songs I picked as "big winners" came up in the top 20!!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Well, Serge Gainsbourg has a main entry and Brigitte Fontaine and Françoise Hardy have secondary entries! Here I'm satisfied :D Also yay for Parliament/Funkadelic having three entries.

Also there is quite a bit of soft rock in this list actually, although "Hotel California" did take the shaft. The sense of humor of Pitchfork perhaps 8-)

No Zappa however. Hmph.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Here is the 200-101 part :

200 Marianne Faithfull: “Broken English”
See also: Lene Lovich: “Lucky Number” / Amanda Lear: “Follow Me”
199 Patrice Rushen: “Haven’t You Heard”
See also: Anita Ward: “Ring My Bell” / “Herb Alpert: Rise”
198 Waylon Jennings: “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?”
See also: Willie Nelson: “Whiskey River” / Jerry Reed: “Amos Moses”
197 Art Ensemble of Chicago: “Théme de Yoyo”
See also: Brigitte Fontaine, Areski Belkacem & Art Ensemble of Chicago: “Comme à la Radio” / Pharoah Sanders: “Love Is Everywhere”
196 Jorge Ben: “Taj Mahal”
See also: Jorge Ben: “Ponta De Lanca Africano (Umbabarauma)” / Tim Maia: “No Caminho Do Bem”
195 Lee Perry & the Full Experiences: “Disco Devil”
See also: Max Romeo: “Chase the Devil” / Augustus Pablo: “Kings Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown”
194 Manu Dibango: Soul Makossa
See also: Chakachas: “Jungle Fever” / Lafayette Afro Rock Band: “Darkest Light”
193 James Chance & the Contortions: “Contort Yourself”
See also: A Certain Ratio: “Do the Du (Casse)” / Teenage Jesus & The Jerks: “Orphans”
192 Brian Eno: “Baby's on Fire”
See also: Brian Eno: “Here Come the Warm Jets” / Brian Eno: “Third Uncle”
191 Tom Zé: “Doi”
See also: Tom Zé: “Um Oh! E Um Ah!” / Secos & Molhados: “Sangue Latino”
190 Betty Davis: “He Was a Big Freak”
See also: Betty Davis: “Anti-Love Song” / Millie Jackson:“ If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Wanna Be Right)”
189 Idris Muhammad: “Could Heaven Ever Be Like This”
See also: Candido: “Thousand Finger Man” / Kiki Gyan: “Disco Dancer”
188 Junior Murvin: “Police & Thieves”
See also: Junior Murvin: “Cool Out Son” / Horace Andy: “Skylarking”
187 Cerrone: “Supernature”
See also: Space: “Carry On, Turn Me On” / Gino Soccio: “Dancer”
186 The Whispers: “And the Beat Goes On”
See also: Detroit Emeralds: “Feel the Need in Me” / Leon Haywood: “I Want' A Do Something Freaky To You”
185 Thelma Houston: “Don’t Leave Me This Way”
See also: Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes: “Don't Leave Me This Way” / Evelyn "Champagne" King: “Shame”
184 The Spinners: “Could It Be I’m Falling in Love”
See also: Spinners: “I'll Be Around” / Isley Brothers: “(At Your Best) You Are Love”
183 Todd Rundgren: “International Feel”
See also: The Move: “Feel Too Good” / Dennis Wilson: “Pacific Ocean Blues”
182 Delta 5: “Mind Your Own Business”
See also: Mekons: “Where Were You” / Slits: “I Heard It Through the Grapevine”
181 Van Morrison: “Caravan”
See also: Van Morrison: “Into the Mystic” / Randy Newman: “Sail Away”
180 The Damned: “Neat Neat Neat”
See also: Damned: “New Rose” / Wipers: “Better Off Dead”
179 The Germs: “Lexicon Devil”
See also: Misfits: “Bullet” / Dead Kennedys: “California Uber Alles”
178 Siouxsie and the Banshees: “Hong Kong Garden”
See also: Patti Smith: “Because the Night” / Magazine: “The Light Pours Out of Me”
177 Faust: “It’s a Rainy Day, Sunshine Girl”
See also: The Fall: “It's a New Thing” / Amon Düül II - “Rattlesnakeplumcake”
176 Loretta Lynn: “The Pill”
See also: Loretta Lynn: “Rated X” / Loretta Lynn: “Coal Miner's Daughter”
175 Giorgio Morodor: “Chase”
See also: Giorgio Moroder: “(Theme From) Midnight Express” / Sparks: “No. 1 Song In Heaven”
174 Dillinger: “Cokane in My Brain”
See also: Linval Thompson: “I Love Marijuana” / Dennis Brown: “The Man Next Door”
173 Eddie Kendricks: “Girl, You Need a Change of Mind”
See also: Eddie Kendricks: “Keep On Truckin'” / Dramatics: “Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get”
172 The Equals: “Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys”
See also: Cymande: “Bra” / Segun Bucknor & His Revolution: “La La La”
171 The Walker Brothers: “The Electrician”
See also: Lee Hazlewood: “The Night Before” / Captain Beefheart: “Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles”
170 The Roches: “Hammond Song”
See also: Sibylle Baier: “Tonight” / Michael Hurley: “Werewolf”
169 Plastic Bertrand: “Ça Plane Pour Moi”
See also: Flying Lizards: “Money (That's What I Want)” / Buggles: “Video Killed the Radio Star”
168 Sun Ra: “Door of the Cosmos”
See also: Sun Ra: “When There Is No Sun” / Sun Ra: “Space Is the Place”
167 Milton Nascimento: “Tudo Que Você Podia Ser”
See also: Milton Nascimento: “Cravo e Canela” / Chico Buarque: “Construção”
166 Karen Dalton: “Something on Your Mind”
See also: Vashti Bunyan: “Diamond Day” / Robbie Basho: “Blue Crystal Fire”
165 Donnie & Joe Emerson: “Baby”
See also: Shuggie Otis: “Island Letter” / Delfonics: “Hey! Love”
164 Don Cherry: “Brown Rice”
See also: Archie Shepp: “Attica Blues” / George Duke: “For Love I Come”
163 Bruce Springsteen: “Darkness on the Edge of Town”
See also: Bruce Springsteen: “Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)” / Bruce Springsteen: “Promised Land”
162 Black Flag: “Nervous Breakdown”
See also: Dead Boys: “Sonic Reducer” / The Bags: “Survive”
161 The Nerves: “Hanging on the Telephone”
See also: Adverts: “One Chord Wonders” / Saints: “(I'm) Stranded”
160 The Chi-Lites: “Have You Seen Her”
See also: Chi-Lites: “Oh Girl” / Temptations: “Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)”
159 Rose Royce: “I’m Going Down”
See also: Rose Royce: “I Wanna Get Next to You” / Jackson 5: “I’ll Be There”
158 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: “American Girl”
See also: Bob Seger: “Night Moves” / Joe Walsh: “Life's Been Good”
157 Bobby Caldwell: “What You Won’t Do for Love”
See also: Isley Brothers: “Footsteps in the Dark” / Bill Withers: “Lovely Day”
156 William DeVaughn: “Be Thankful for What You Got”
See also: Timmy Thomas: “Why Can't We Live Together” / Curtis Mayfield: “The Makings of You”
155 Chic: “I Want Your Love”
See also: Norma Jean: “Saturday” / Sister Sledge: “Thinking of You”
154 T. Rex: “Metal Guru”
See also: T. Rex: “20th Century Boy” / T. Rex: “Jeepster”
153 Faces: “Ooh La La”
See also: Faces: “Stay With Me” / Rod Stewart: “Maggie May”
152 Harry Nilsson: “Without You”
See also: Carole King: “So Far Away” / Carpenters: “Superstar”
151 Townes Van Zandt: “Pancho & Lefty”
See also: Gene Clark: “Lady of the North” / Willie Nelson: “Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain”
150 Grateful Dead: “Friend of the Devil”
See also: Grateful Dead: “Box of Rain” / Creedence Clearwater Revival: “Long As I Can See the Light”
149 Shuggie Otis: “Information Inspiration”
See also: Donald Byrd: “(Fallin' Like) Dominoes” / Leroy Hutson: “All Because of You”
148 Wire: “Outdoor Miner”
See also: Wire: “The 15th” / Wire: “Map Ref 41°N 93°W”
147 Nina Simone: “Baltimore”
See also: Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson: “We Almost Lost Detroit” / Labi Siffre: “I Got The...”
146 Donny Hathaway: “A Song for You”
See also: Donny Hathaway: “I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know” / Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes: “If You Don't Know Me By Now”
145 Ramones: “Sheena Is a Punk Rocker”
See also: The Ramones: “Judy is a Punk” / Vibrators: “Baby Baby”
144 Elvis Costello & the Attractions: “Radio Radio”
See also: Blondie: “Hanging on the Telephone” / Wire: “Ex Lion Tamer”
143 XTC: “Making Plans for Nigel”
See also: The Police: “Message in a Bottle” / Joe Jackson: “Is She Really Going Out With Him?”
142 Cheap Trick: “Surrender”
See also: Boston: “More Than a Feeling” / Raspberries: “Go All The Way”
141 The Undertones: “Teenage Kicks”
See also: Television Personalities: “Part Time Punks” / The Only Ones: “Another Girl, Another Planet”
140 The Raincoats: “In Love”
See also: Raincoats: “Fairytale in the Supermarket” / Scritti Politti: “Skank Bloc Bologna”
139 Throbbing Gristle: “Hot on the Heels of Love”
See also: The Normal: “Warm Leatherette” / Devo: “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction”
138 Bauhaus: “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”
See also: Tubeway Army: “Are ‘Friends’ Electric?” / Iggy Pop: “Sister Midnight”
137 Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson: “The Bottle”
See also: Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson: “Delta Man (Where I’m Comin’ From)” / Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson: “Angola, Louisiana”
136 Isaac Hayes: “The Look of Love”
See also: Barry White: “Never, Never Gonna Give You Up” / Tom Brock: “I Love You More and More”
135 Marvin Gaye: “I Want You”
See also: Leon Ware: “Learning How to Love You” / Minnie Riperton: “Inside My Love”
134 Brothers Johnson: “Strawberry Letter 23”
See also: Rufus & Chaka Khan: “Do You Love What You Feel” / Lamont Dozier: “Going Back to My Roots”
133 The Abyssinians: “Satta Massagana”
See also: Melodians: “Rivers of Babylon” / Derrick Harriott: “Brown Baby”
132 The Five Stairsteps: “O-o-h Child”
See also: Jackson 5: “Never Can Say Goodbye” / Chi-Lites: “Oh Girl”
131 The Rolling Stones: “Miss You”
See also: Rolling Stones: “Angie” / Rolling Stones: “Beast of Burden”
130 Electric Light Orchestra: “Mr. Blue Sky”
See also: Electric Light Orchestra: “Turn to Stone” / Wings: “Band on the Run”
129 Toots & the Maytals: “Funky Kingston”
See also: Toots & The Maytals: “Time Tough” / Dennis Brown: “Money in My Pocket”
128 Herbie Hancock: “Chameleon”
See also: Miles Davis: “Maiysha” / Lonnie Liston Smith: “Expansions”
127 Diana Ross: “Love Hangover”
See also: Bee Gees: “More Than a Woman” / Sylvia: “Pillow Talk”
126 Roxy Music: “Love Is the Drug”
See also: Roxy Music: “Virginia Plain” / Roxy Music: “Do the Strand”
125 Kool & the Gang: “Summer Madness”
See also: Quincy Jones: “Summer in the City” / Isaac Hayes: “Bumpy's Lament”
124 John Lennon: “Jealous Guy”
See also: John Lennon: “Instant Karma (We All Shine)” / Donny Hathaway: “Jealous Guy”
123 Roberta Flack: “Killing Me Softly With His Song”
See also: Rufus & Chaka Khan: “Sweet Thing” / Gladys Knight & The Pips: “Midnight Train to Georgia”
122 The Beach Boys: “Surf’s Up”
See also: The Beach Boys: “Feel Flows” / Beach Boys: “Til I Die”
121 Neu!: “Hallogallo”
See also: Ashra: “Sunrain” / La Düsseldorf: “La Düsseldorf”
120 Serge Gainsbourg: “Melody”
See also: John Martyn: “Glory Box ”/ Françoise Hardy: “Message Personnel”
119 Blue Öyster Cult: “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper”
See also: Dire Straits: “Sultans of Swing” / Doors: “Riders on the Storm”
118 Sex Pistols: “Anarchy in the UK”
See also: Sex Pistols: “Holidays in the Sun” / Sex Pistols: “Pretty Vacant”
117 Thin Lizzy: “The Boys Are Back in Town”
See also: AC/DC: “Highway to Hell” / Van Halen: “Runnin' With the Devil”
116 Richard Hell & the Voidoids: “Blank Generation”
See also: Richard Hell & the Voidoids: “Love Comes in Spurts” / New York Dolls: “Personality Crisis”
115 James Brown: “The Payback”
See also: James Brown: “Down and Out in New York City” / Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band: “Express Yourself”
114 Steely Dan: “Deacon Blues”
See also: Steely Dan: “Do It Again” / Boz Scaggs: “Lowdown”
113 Gang of Four: “Damaged Goods”
See also: Gang of Four: “I Found That Essence Rare” / Magazine: “Shot by Both Sides”
112 Sparks: “This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us”
See also: Sparks: “Tryouts for the Human Race” / Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark: “Electricity”
111 Judee Sill: “The Kiss”
See also: Judee Sill: “Jesus Was a Crossmaker” / Linda Perhacs: “Chimicum Rain”
110 Hall & Oates: “She’s Gone”
See also: Hall & Oates: “Sara Smile” / Joan Armatrading: “Love and Affection”
109 Elvis Costello: “Alison”
See also: Robert Wyatt: “Shipbuilding” / Jackson Browne: “Late for the Sky”
108 Earth, Wind & Fire: “September”
See also: Earth, Wind & Fire: “Shining Star” / Earth, Wind & Fire: “Fantasy”
107 Minnie Riperton: “Les Fleurs”
See also: Rotary Connection: “I Am the Blackgold of the Sun” / Dells: “Love Is Blue / I Can Sing a Rainbow”
106 Joni Mitchell: “Free Man in Paris”
See also: Joni Mitchell: “Help Me” / Joni Mitchell: “The Hissing of Summer Lawns”
105 The Doobie Brothers: “What a Fool Believes”
See also: Doobie Brothers: “Long Train Runnin'” / Gerry Rafferty: “Right Down the Line”
104 The Clash: “Train in Vain”
See also: Clash: “Spanish Bombs” / Clash: “Lost in the Supermarket”
103 Led Zeppelin: “Immigrant Song”
See also: Led Zeppelin: “Over the Hills and Far Away” / Heart: “Barracuda”
102 Elton John “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”
See also: Elton John: “Bennie and the Jets” / Billy Joel: “Piano Man”
101 Neil Young: “After the Gold Rush”
See also: Neil Young: “Heart of Gold” / Neil Young: “Will to Love”

Seeing the name "Amanda Lear" on Pitchfork is a bit of a surprise but it seems her 70s career is more acclaimed than I expected.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Here's 100-1 (sorry, Nassim):

100. Brian Eno, “1/1”
See also: Fripp & Eno: “Wind on Water” / Tangerine Dream: “Sequent C”
99. Miles Davis, “Right Off”
See also: Miles Davis: “On the Corner” / Miles Davis: “Bitches Brew”
98. Jimi Hendrix, “Machine Gun”
See also: Mandrill: “Peace and Love (Movement IV)” / Miles Davis: “Honky Tonk”
97. Bob Marley & the Wailers, “Concrete Jungle”
See also: Bob Marley & the Wailers: “No Woman No Cry” / Bob Marley & the Wailers: “War”
96. Can, “Future Days”
See also: Can: “Moonshake” / Agitation Free: “First Communication”
95. Iggy Pop, “The Passenger”
See also: Iggy Pop: “Nightclubbing” / The Jam: “Down in the Tube Station at Midnight”
94. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn”
See also: Harmonia: “Deluxe (Immer Weiter)” / Cluster: “Sowiesoso”
93. Patti Smith, “Land”
See also: Patti Smith: “Pissing in a River” / Lizzy Mercier Descloux & Patti Smith: “Morning High”
92. Suicide, “Ghost Rider”
See also: Suicide: “Frankie Teardrop” / Suicide: “Cheree”
91. Joy Division, “Disorder”
See also: Joy Division: “Warsaw” / Public Image Ltd: “Public Image”
90. The Congos, “Fisherman”
See also: Congos: “Ark of the Covenant” / Culture: “Two Sevens Clash”
89. Blondie, “Dreaming”
See also: Pretenders: “Kid” / The Records: “Starry Eyes”
88. The Cars, “Just What I Needed”
See also: Cars: “Moving in Stereo” / Tubeway Army: “Down in the Park”
87. Steely Dan, “Peg”
See also: Steely Dan: “F.M. (No Static at All)” / Steely Dan: “Kid Charlemagne”
86. Stevie Wonder, “As”
See also: Stevie Wonder: “I Wish” / Syreeta: “I Love Every Little Thing About You”
85. The Isley Brothers, “That Lady”
See also: Donny Hathaway: “The Ghetto” / Jackson 5: “ABC”
84. The O’Jays, “For the Love of Money”
See also: O'Jays: “Backstabbers” / Baby Huey: “Hard Times”
83. The Kinks, “Lola”
See also: The Raincoats: “Lola” / John Cale: “Paris 1919”
82. George Harrison, “My Sweet Lord”
See also: George Harrison: “What Is Life” / Paul McCartney: “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey”
81. The B-52’s, “Rock Lobster”
See also: B-52's: “52 Girls” / B-52's: “Dance This Mess Around”
80. ABBA, “Dancing Queen”
See also: Gloria Gaynor: “I Will Survive” / Andrea True Connection: “More More More”
79. Talking Heads, “Life During Wartime”
See also: Talking Heads: “Take Me to the River“ / Talking Heads: “Heaven”
78. The Who, “Baba O’Riley”
See also: The Who: “Don't Get Fooled Again” / The Who: “Love, Reign O'er Me”
77. The Velvet Underground, “Rock & Roll”
See also: Velvet Underground: “Who Loves the Sun” / Lou Reed: “Vicious”
76. Brian Eno, “St. Elmo’s Fire”
See also: Brian Eno: “The Big Ship” / Brian Eno: “Needles In the Camel’s Eye”
75. Leonard Cohen, “Famous Blue Raincoat”
See also: Tom Waits: “Tom Traubert's Blues (Three Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen)” / Jacques Brel: “Ne Me Quitte Pas”
74. Jimmy Cliff, “The Harder They Come”
See also: Alton Ellis: “I Am Still in Love” / John Holt: “You'll Never Find (Another Love Like Mine)”
73. Caetano Veloso, “You Don’t Know Me”
See also: Caetano Veloso: “Nine Out of Ten” / Os Mutantes: “Baby (1971)”
72. Roy Ayers Ubiquity, “Everybody Loves The Sunshine”
See also: Roy Ayers Ubiquity: “We Live in Brooklyn, Baby” / Donald Byrd: “Think Twice”
71. 10cc, “I’m Not in Love”
See also: Todd Rundgren: “Hello It's Me” / Beach Boys: “All I Wanna Do”
70. The Slits, “Typical Girls”
See also: The Slits: “Instant Hit” / Lizzy Mercier Descloux: “Fire”
69. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain”
See also: Jean Knight: “Mr. Big Stuff” / Gladys Knight & The Pips: “If I Were Your Woman”
68. Bobby Womack, “Across 110th Street”
See also: Bobby Bland: “Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City” / Willie Hutch: “Brothers Gonna Work It Out”
67. Big Star, “September Gurls”
See also: Big Star: “The Ballad of El Goodo” / Flamin' Groovies: “Shake Some Action”
66. Lou Reed, “Perfect Day”
See also: Lou Reed: “Satellite of Love” / Lou Reed: “Caroline Says”
65. The Rolling Stones, “Wild Horses”
See also: Rolling Stones: “Tumbling Dice” / Rolling Stones: “Rocks Off”
64. Neil Young & Crazy Horse, “Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)”
See also: Neil Young: “Tonight's the Night” / Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: “Ohio”
63. Funkadelic, “Maggot Brain”
See also: Funkadelic: “Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts” / Bootsy Collins: “I'd Rather Be With You”
62. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner”
See also: Modern Lovers: “Pablo Picasso” / Blondie: “One Way Or Another”
61. The Beatles, “Let It Be”
See also: Paul McCartney: “Maybe I'm Amazed” / John Lennon: “Gimme Some Truth”
60. Alice Coltrane, “Journey in Satchidananda”
See also: Alice Coltrane: “Universal Consciousness” / Pharoah Sanders: “Astral Traveling”
59. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition”
See also: Stevie Wonder: “Sir Duke” / Stevie Wonder: “Signed Sealed Delivered (I'm Yours)”
58. Parliament, “Flash Light”
See also: Kool & the Gang: “Jungle Boogie” / Heatwave: “Boogie Nights”
57. The Temptations, “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone”
See also: The Temptations: “Ball of Confusion” / The Temptations: “Smiling Faces Sometimes”
56. Bob Marley & the Wailers, “Waiting in Vain”
See also: Bob Marley & the Wailers: “Is This Love” / Buster Brown: “Aware of Love”
55. Sly & the Family Stone, “Family Affair”
See also: Sly & the Family Stone: “You Caught Me Smilin'” / Ike & Tina Turner: “Proud Mary”
54. Can, “Vitamin C”
See also: Can: “Halleluhwah” / Can: “I'm So Green”
53. Fela Kuti & Africa 70, “Zombie”
See also: Fela Kuti: “Water No Get Enemy” / Letta Mbulu: “Mahlalela”
52. Fleetwood Mac, “The Chain”
See also: Fleetwood Mac: “Go Your Own Way” / Fleetwood Mac: “Walk a Thin Line”
51. Black Sabbath, “War Pigs”
See also: Black Sabbath: “Paranoid” / Motorhead: “Bomber”
50. Sugarhill Gang, “Rapper’s Delight”
See also: Younger Generation: “We Rap More Mellow” / Incredible Bongo Band: “Apache”
49. Dinosaur, “Kiss Me Again”
See also: Cerrone: “Give Me Love” / Belle Epoque: “Miss Broadway”
48. The Clash, “London Calling”
See also: The Clash: “(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais” / The Clash: “Complete Control”
47. The Cure, “Boys Don’t Cry”
See also: The Police: “Roxanne” / The Cure: “Killing an Arab”
46. Nick Drake, “Pink Moon”
See also: Tim Buckley: “Song to the Siren” / Bill Fay: “Be Not So Fearful”
45. James Brown, “Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine”
See also: James Brown: “Funky Drummer” / Lyn Collins: “Think (About It)”
44. David Bowie, “Young Americans”
See also: David Bowie: “Fame” / Mott the Hoople: “All the Young Dudes”
43. Talking Heads, “Psycho Killer”
See also: Talking Heads: “Thank You for Sending Me an Angel” / Talking Heads: “I Zimbra”
42. Althea & Donna, “Uptown Top Ranking”
See also: Trinity: “Three Piece Suit” / Marcia Griffiths: “Dreamland”
41. Chic, “Good Times”
See also: Chic: “Le Freak” / Sister Sledge: “Lost in Music”
40. Gil Scott Heron, “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised”
See also: Gil Scott-Heron: “Home Is Where the Hatred Is” / Eddie Kendricks: “My People...Hold On”
39. Pink Floyd, “Wish You Were Here”
See also: Pink Floyd: “Us and Them” / Pink Floyd: “Time”
38. Neil Young, “On the Beach”
See also: Neil Young: “Cortez the Killer” / Neil Young: “Ambulance Blues”
37. Suicide, “Dream Baby Dream”
See also: Lou Reed: “Street Hassle” / Neu!: “Isi”
36. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side”
See also: Lou Reed: “Coney Island Baby” / Lou Reed: “Wild Child”
35. Buzzcocks, “Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)”
See also: Buzzcocks: “Everybody's Happy Nowadays” / Buzzcocks: “What Do I Get”
34. X-Ray Spex, “Oh Bondage! Up Yours!”
See also: X-Ray Spex: “Germ Free Adolescence” / Essential Logic: “Wake Up”
33. Ramones, “Blitzkrieg Bop”
See also: Ramones: “Rockaway Beach” / Runaways: “Cherry Bomb”
32. Funkadelic, “Can You Get to That”
See also: Funkadelic: “Standing on the Verge of Getting It On” / Funkadelic: “One Nation Under a Groove”
31. Michael Jackson, “Rock With You”
See also: Michael Jackson: “I Can't Help It” / Michael Jackson: “I Wanna Be Where You Are”
30. Dolly Parton, “Jolene”
See also: Vicki Lawrence: “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” / Freda Payne: “Band of Gold”
29. Marvin Gaye, “Got to Give It Up”
See also: Marvin Gaye: “Let's Get It On” / Marvin Gaye: “Distant Lover”
28. Al Green, “Love and Happiness”
See also: Al Green: “Call Me” / Bill Withers: “Use Me”
27. The Velvet Underground, “Sweet Jane”
See also: Velvet Underground: “New Age” / Leonard Cohen: “Chelsea Hotel No. 2”
26. The Stooges, “Search and Destroy”
See also: Stooges: “Gimme Danger” / MC5: “Over and Over”
25. Curtis Mayfield, “Move on Up”
See also: Curtis Mayfield: “Superfly” / Curtis Mayfield: “(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Gonna Go”
24. Led Zeppelin, “When the Levee Breaks”
See also: Led Zeppelin: “Kashmir” / Led Zeppelin: “In My Time of Dying”
23. Bob Dylan, “Tangled Up in Blue”
See also: Bob Dylan: “I Believe in You” / Bob Dylan: “Shelter From the Storm”
22. Big Star, “Thirteen”
See also: Big Star: “Holocaust” / Chris Bell: “I Am the Cosmos”
21. David Bowie, “Changes”
See also: David Bowie: “Five Years” / David Bowie: “Starman”
20. Patti Smith, “Gloria”
See also: Patti Smith: “Free Money” / Patti Smith: “Dancing Barefoot”
19. Kraftwerk, “Trans Europe Express”
See also: Kraftwerk: “The Robots” / Kraftwerk: “Radioactivity”
18. Blondie, “Heart of Glass”
See also: Sylvester: “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” / Amii Stewart: “Knock on Wood”
17. Iggy Pop, “Lust for Life”
See also: Stooges: “Down on the Street” / Elvis Costello: “Pump It Up”
16. Bruce Springsteen, “Born to Run”
See also: Bruce Springsteen: “Thunder Road” / Bruce Springsteen: “Jungleland”
15. Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
See also: Queen: “Killer Queen” / Queen: “We Are the Champions”
14. Stevie Wonder, “Living for the City”
See also: Stevie Wonder: “Higher Ground” / Stevie Wonder: “Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing”
13. Al Green, “Let’s Stay Together”
See also: Al Green: “Tired of Being Alone” / Al Wilson: “Show and Tell”
12. Joni Mitchell, “A Case Of You”
See also: Joni Mitchell: “River” / Joni Mitchell: “Blue”
11. Bill Withers, “Ain’t No Sunshine“
See also: Bill Withers: “Grandma's Hands” / Bill Withers: “Harlem”
10. Joy Division, “Transmission“
See also: Joy Division: “She's Lost Control” / Joy Division: “Shadowplay”
9. Fleetwood Mac, “Dreams”
See also: Fleetwood Mac: “Sara” / Fleetwood Mac: “Landslide”
8. Television, “Marquee Moon”
See also: Television: “Venus” / Johnny Thunders: “You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory”
7. Prince, “I Wanna Be Your Lover“
See also: Prince: “Soft and Wet” / Prince: “I Feel for You”
6. David Bowie, ““Heroes””
See also: David Bowie: “Sound and Vision” / David Bowie: “Golden Years”
5. Kate Bush, “Wuthering Heights”
See also: Kate Bush: “Moving” / Kate Bush: “The Man With the Child in His Eyes”
4. Donna Summer, “I Feel Love”
See also: Donna Summer: “Love to Love You Baby” / Giorgio Moroder: “From Here to Eternity”
3. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”
See also: Marvin Gaye: “Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)” / Marvin Gaye: “Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler)”
2. Michael Jackson, “Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough”
See also: Michael Jackson: “Off the Wall” / Michael Jackson: “Workin' Day and Night”
1. David Bowie, “Life on Mars?”
See also: David Bowie: “Ziggy Stardust” / David Bowie: “Station to Station”
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

All entries sorted by artist:

071 | 10cc, “I’m Not in Love”
201 | A Certain Ratio: “Do the Du (Casse)”
080 | ABBA, “Dancing Queen”
133 | The Abyssinians: “Satta Massagana”
201 | AC/DC: “Highway to Hell”
201 | Adverts: “One Chord Wonders”
201 | Agitation Free: “First Communication”
013 | Al Green, “Let’s Stay Together”
028 | Al Green, “Love and Happiness”
201 | Al Green: “Call Me”
201 | Al Green: “Tired of Being Alone”
201 | Al Wilson: “Show and Tell”
060 | Alice Coltrane, “Journey in Satchidananda”
201 | Alice Coltrane: “Universal Consciousness”
042 | Althea & Donna, “Uptown Top Ranking”
201 | Alton Ellis: “I Am Still in Love”
201 | Amanda Lear: “Follow Me”
201 | Amii Stewart: “Knock on Wood”
201 | Amon Düül II - “Rattlesnakeplumcake”
201 | Andrea True Connection: “More More More”
201 | Anita Ward: “Ring My Bell”
069 | Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain”
201 | Archie Shepp: “Attica Blues”
197 | Art Ensemble of Chicago: “Théme de Yoyo”
201 | Ashra: “Sunrain”
201 | Augustus Pablo: “Kings Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown”
081 | The B-52’s, “Rock Lobster”
201 | B-52's: “52 Girls”
201 | B-52's: “Dance This Mess Around”
201 | Baby Huey: “Hard Times”
201 | The Bags: “Survive”
201 | Barry White: “Never, Never Gonna Give You Up”
138 | Bauhaus: “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”
201 | Beach Boys: “All I Wanna Do”
201 | The Beach Boys: “Feel Flows”
122 | The Beach Boys: “Surf’s Up”
201 | Beach Boys: “Til I Die”
061 | The Beatles, “Let It Be”
201 | Bee Gees: “More Than a Woman”
201 | Belle Epoque: “Miss Broadway”
201 | Betty Davis: “Anti-Love Song”
190 | Betty Davis: “He Was a Big Freak”
067 | Big Star, “September Gurls”
022 | Big Star, “Thirteen”
201 | Big Star: “Holocaust”
201 | Big Star: “The Ballad of El Goodo”
201 | Bill Fay: “Be Not So Fearful”
011 | Bill Withers, “Ain’t No Sunshine“
201 | Bill Withers: “Grandma's Hands”
201 | Bill Withers: “Harlem”
201 | Bill Withers: “Lovely Day”
201 | Bill Withers: “Use Me”
201 | Billy Joel: “Piano Man”
162 | Black Flag: “Nervous Breakdown”
051 | Black Sabbath, “War Pigs”
201 | Black Sabbath: “Paranoid”
089 | Blondie, “Dreaming”
018 | Blondie, “Heart of Glass”
201 | Blondie: “Hanging on the Telephone”
201 | Blondie: “One Way Or Another”
119 | Blue Öyster Cult: “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper”
023 | Bob Dylan, “Tangled Up in Blue”
201 | Bob Dylan: “I Believe in You”
201 | Bob Dylan: “Shelter From the Storm”
097 | Bob Marley & the Wailers, “Concrete Jungle”
056 | Bob Marley & the Wailers, “Waiting in Vain”
201 | Bob Marley & the Wailers: “Is This Love”
201 | Bob Marley & the Wailers: “No Woman No Cry”
201 | Bob Marley & the Wailers: “War”
201 | Bob Seger: “Night Moves”
201 | Bobby Bland: “Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City”
157 | Bobby Caldwell: “What You Won’t Do for Love”
068 | Bobby Womack, “Across 110th Street”
201 | Bootsy Collins: “I'd Rather Be With You”
201 | Boston: “More Than a Feeling”
201 | Boz Scaggs: “Lowdown”
100 | Brian Eno, “1/1”
076 | Brian Eno, “St. Elmo’s Fire”
192 | Brian Eno: “Baby's on Fire”
201 | Brian Eno: “Here Come the Warm Jets”
201 | Brian Eno: “Needles In the Camel’s Eye”
201 | Brian Eno: “The Big Ship”
201 | Brian Eno: “Third Uncle”
201 | Brigitte Fontaine, Areski Belkacem & Art Ensemble of Chicago: “Comme à la Radio”
134 | Brothers Johnson: “Strawberry Letter 23”
016 | Bruce Springsteen, “Born to Run”
163 | Bruce Springsteen: “Darkness on the Edge of Town”
201 | Bruce Springsteen: “Jungleland”
201 | Bruce Springsteen: “Promised Land”
201 | Bruce Springsteen: “Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)”
201 | Bruce Springsteen: “Thunder Road”
201 | Buggles: “Video Killed the Radio Star”
201 | Buster Brown: “Aware of Love”
035 | Buzzcocks, “Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)”
201 | Buzzcocks: “Everybody's Happy Nowadays”
201 | Buzzcocks: “What Do I Get”
073 | Caetano Veloso, “You Don’t Know Me”
201 | Caetano Veloso: “Nine Out of Ten”
096 | Can, “Future Days”
054 | Can, “Vitamin C”
201 | Can: “Halleluhwah”
201 | Can: “I'm So Green”
201 | Can: “Moonshake”
201 | Candido: “Thousand Finger Man”
201 | Captain Beefheart: “Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles”
201 | Carole King: “So Far Away”
201 | Carpenters: “Superstar”
088 | The Cars, “Just What I Needed”
201 | Cars: “Moving in Stereo”
201 | Cerrone: “Give Me Love”
187 | Cerrone: “Supernature”
201 | Chakachas: “Jungle Fever”
201 | Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band: “Express Yourself”
142 | Cheap Trick: “Surrender”
041 | Chic, “Good Times”
155 | Chic: “I Want Your Love”
201 | Chic: “Le Freak”
201 | Chico Buarque: “Construção”
160 | The Chi-Lites: “Have You Seen Her”
201 | Chi-Lites: “Oh Girl”
201 | Chi-Lites: “Oh Girl”
201 | Chris Bell: “I Am the Cosmos”
048 | The Clash, “London Calling”
201 | The Clash: “(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais”
201 | The Clash: “Complete Control”
201 | Clash: “Lost in the Supermarket”
201 | Clash: “Spanish Bombs”
104 | The Clash: “Train in Vain”
201 | Cluster: “Sowiesoso”
090 | The Congos, “Fisherman”
201 | Congos: “Ark of the Covenant”
201 | Creedence Clearwater Revival: “Long As I Can See the Light”
201 | Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: “Ohio”
201 | Culture: “Two Sevens Clash”
047 | The Cure, “Boys Don’t Cry”
201 | The Cure: “Killing an Arab”
025 | Curtis Mayfield, “Move on Up”
201 | Curtis Mayfield: “(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Gonna Go”
201 | Curtis Mayfield: “Superfly”
201 | Curtis Mayfield: “The Makings of You”
201 | Cymande: “Bra”
180 | The Damned: “Neat Neat Neat”
201 | Damned: “New Rose”
006 | David Bowie, ““Heroes””
021 | David Bowie, “Changes”
001 | David Bowie, “Life on Mars?”
044 | David Bowie, “Young Americans”
201 | David Bowie: “Fame”
201 | David Bowie: “Five Years”
201 | David Bowie: “Golden Years”
201 | David Bowie: “Sound and Vision”
201 | David Bowie: “Starman”
201 | David Bowie: “Station to Station”
201 | David Bowie: “Ziggy Stardust”
201 | Dead Boys: “Sonic Reducer”
201 | Dead Kennedys: “California Uber Alles”
201 | Delfonics: “Hey! Love”
201 | Dells: “Love Is Blue / I Can Sing a Rainbow”
182 | Delta 5: “Mind Your Own Business”
201 | Dennis Brown: “Money in My Pocket”
201 | Dennis Brown: “The Man Next Door”
201 | Dennis Wilson: “Pacific Ocean Blues”
201 | Derrick Harriott: “Brown Baby”
201 | Detroit Emeralds: “Feel the Need in Me”
201 | Devo: “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction”
127 | Diana Ross: “Love Hangover”
174 | Dillinger: “Cokane in My Brain”
049 | Dinosaur, “Kiss Me Again”
201 | Dire Straits: “Sultans of Swing”
030 | Dolly Parton, “Jolene”
164 | Don Cherry: “Brown Rice”
201 | Donald Byrd: “(Fallin' Like) Dominoes”
201 | Donald Byrd: “Think Twice”
004 | Donna Summer, “I Feel Love”
201 | Donna Summer: “Love to Love You Baby”
165 | Donnie & Joe Emerson: “Baby”
146 | Donny Hathaway: “A Song for You”
201 | Donny Hathaway: “I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know”
201 | Donny Hathaway: “Jealous Guy”
201 | Donny Hathaway: “The Ghetto”
201 | Doobie Brothers: “Long Train Runnin'”
105 | The Doobie Brothers: “What a Fool Believes”
201 | Doors: “Riders on the Storm”
201 | Dramatics: “Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get”
201 | Earth, Wind & Fire: “Fantasy”
108 | Earth, Wind & Fire: “September”
201 | Earth, Wind & Fire: “Shining Star”
173 | Eddie Kendricks: “Girl, You Need a Change of Mind”
201 | Eddie Kendricks: “Keep On Truckin'”
201 | Eddie Kendricks: “My People...Hold On”
130 | Electric Light Orchestra: “Mr. Blue Sky”
201 | Electric Light Orchestra: “Turn to Stone”
102 | Elton John “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”
201 | Elton John: “Bennie and the Jets”
144 | Elvis Costello & the Attractions: “Radio Radio”
109 | Elvis Costello: “Alison”
201 | Elvis Costello: “Pump It Up”
172 | The Equals: “Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys”
201 | Essential Logic: “Wake Up”
201 | Evelyn "Champagne" King: “Shame”
153 | Faces: “Ooh La La”
201 | Faces: “Stay With Me”
201 | The Fall: “It's a New Thing”
177 | Faust: “It’s a Rainy Day, Sunshine Girl”
053 | Fela Kuti & Africa 70, “Zombie”
201 | Fela Kuti: “Water No Get Enemy”
132 | The Five Stairsteps: “O-o-h Child”
201 | Flamin' Groovies: “Shake Some Action”
009 | Fleetwood Mac, “Dreams”
052 | Fleetwood Mac, “The Chain”
201 | Fleetwood Mac: “Go Your Own Way”
201 | Fleetwood Mac: “Landslide”
201 | Fleetwood Mac: “Sara”
201 | Fleetwood Mac: “Walk a Thin Line”
201 | Flying Lizards: “Money (That's What I Want)”
201 | Françoise Hardy: “Message Personnel”
201 | Freda Payne: “Band of Gold”
201 | Fripp & Eno: “Wind on Water”
032 | Funkadelic, “Can You Get to That”
063 | Funkadelic, “Maggot Brain”
201 | Funkadelic: “Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts”
201 | Funkadelic: “One Nation Under a Groove”
201 | Funkadelic: “Standing on the Verge of Getting It On”
113 | Gang of Four: “Damaged Goods”
201 | Gang of Four: “I Found That Essence Rare”
201 | Gene Clark: “Lady of the North”
201 | George Duke: “For Love I Come”
082 | George Harrison, “My Sweet Lord”
201 | George Harrison: “What Is Life”
179 | The Germs: “Lexicon Devil”
201 | Gerry Rafferty: “Right Down the Line”
040 | Gil Scott Heron, “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised”
201 | Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson: “Angola, Louisiana”
201 | Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson: “Delta Man (Where I’m Comin’ From)”
137 | Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson: “The Bottle”
201 | Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson: “We Almost Lost Detroit”
201 | Gil Scott-Heron: “Home Is Where the Hatred Is”
201 | Gino Soccio: “Dancer”
201 | Giorgio Moroder: “(Theme From) Midnight Express”
201 | Giorgio Moroder: “From Here to Eternity”
175 | Giorgio Morodor: “Chase”
201 | Gladys Knight & The Pips: “If I Were Your Woman”
201 | Gladys Knight & The Pips: “Midnight Train to Georgia”
201 | Gloria Gaynor: “I Will Survive”
201 | Grateful Dead: “Box of Rain”
150 | Grateful Dead: “Friend of the Devil”
201 | Hall & Oates: “Sara Smile”
110 | Hall & Oates: “She’s Gone”
201 | Harmonia: “Deluxe (Immer Weiter)”
201 | Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes: “Don't Leave Me This Way”
201 | Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes: “If You Don't Know Me By Now”
152 | Harry Nilsson: “Without You”
201 | Heart: “Barracuda”
201 | Heatwave: “Boogie Nights”
201 | Herb Alpert: “Rise”
128 | Herbie Hancock: “Chameleon”
201 | Horace Andy: “Skylarking”
189 | Idris Muhammad: “Could Heaven Ever Be Like This”
017 | Iggy Pop, “Lust for Life”
095 | Iggy Pop, “The Passenger”
201 | Iggy Pop: “Nightclubbing”
201 | Iggy Pop: “Sister Midnight”
201 | Ike & Tina Turner: “Proud Mary”
201 | Incredible Bongo Band: “Apache”
201 | Isaac Hayes: “Bumpy's Lament”
136 | Isaac Hayes: “The Look of Love”
085 | The Isley Brothers, “That Lady”
201 | Isley Brothers: “(At Your Best) You Are Love”
201 | Isley Brothers: “Footsteps in the Dark”
201 | Jackson 5: “ABC”
201 | Jackson 5: “I’ll Be There”
201 | Jackson 5: “Never Can Say Goodbye”
201 | Jackson Browne: “Late for the Sky”
201 | Jacques Brel: “Ne Me Quitte Pas”
201 | The Jam: “Down in the Tube Station at Midnight”
045 | James Brown, “Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine”
201 | James Brown: “Down and Out in New York City”
201 | James Brown: “Funky Drummer”
115 | James Brown: “The Payback”
193 | James Chance & the Contortions: “Contort Yourself”
201 | Jean Knight: “Mr. Big Stuff”
201 | Jerry Reed: “Amos Moses”
098 | Jimi Hendrix, “Machine Gun”
074 | Jimmy Cliff, “The Harder They Come”
201 | Joan Armatrading: “Love and Affection”
201 | Joe Jackson: “Is She Really Going Out With Him?”
201 | Joe Walsh: “Life's Been Good”
201 | John Cale: “Paris 1919”
201 | John Holt: “You'll Never Find (Another Love Like Mine)”
201 | John Lennon: “Gimme Some Truth”
201 | John Lennon: “Instant Karma (We All Shine)”
124 | John Lennon: “Jealous Guy”
201 | John Martyn: “Glory Box ”
201 | Johnny Thunders: “You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory”
012 | Joni Mitchell, “A Case Of You”
201 | Joni Mitchell: “Blue”
106 | Joni Mitchell: “Free Man in Paris”
201 | Joni Mitchell: “Help Me”
201 | Joni Mitchell: “River”
201 | Joni Mitchell: “The Hissing of Summer Lawns”
201 | Jorge Ben: “Ponta De Lanca Africano (Umbabarauma)”
196 | Jorge Ben: “Taj Mahal”
091 | Joy Division, “Disorder”
010 | Joy Division, “Transmission“
201 | Joy Division: “Shadowplay”
201 | Joy Division: “She's Lost Control”
201 | Joy Division: “Warsaw”
201 | Judee Sill: “Jesus Was a Crossmaker”
111 | Judee Sill: “The Kiss”
201 | Junior Murvin: “Cool Out Son”
188 | Junior Murvin: “Police & Thieves”
166 | Karen Dalton: “Something on Your Mind”
005 | Kate Bush, “Wuthering Heights”
201 | Kate Bush: “Moving”
201 | Kate Bush: “The Man With the Child in His Eyes”
201 | Kiki Gyan: “Disco Dancer”
083 | The Kinks, “Lola”
201 | Kool & the Gang: “Jungle Boogie”
125 | Kool & the Gang: “Summer Madness”
094 | Kraftwerk, “Autobahn”
019 | Kraftwerk, “Trans Europe Express”
201 | Kraftwerk: “Radioactivity”
201 | Kraftwerk: “The Robots”
201 | La Düsseldorf: “La Düsseldorf”
201 | Labi Siffre: “I Got The...”
201 | Lafayette Afro Rock Band: “Darkest Light”
201 | Lamont Dozier: “Going Back to My Roots”
024 | Led Zeppelin, “When the Levee Breaks”
103 | Led Zeppelin: “Immigrant Song”
201 | Led Zeppelin: “In My Time of Dying”
201 | Led Zeppelin: “Kashmir”
201 | Led Zeppelin: “Over the Hills and Far Away”
201 | Lee Hazlewood: “The Night Before”
195 | Lee Perry & the Full Experiences: “Disco Devil”
201 | Lene Lovich: “Lucky Number”
201 | Leon Haywood: “I Want' A Do Something Freaky To You”
201 | Leon Ware: “Learning How to Love You”
075 | Leonard Cohen, “Famous Blue Raincoat”
201 | Leonard Cohen: “Chelsea Hotel No. 2”
201 | Leroy Hutson: “All Because of You”
201 | Letta Mbulu: “Mahlalela”
201 | Linda Perhacs: “Chimicum Rain”
201 | Linval Thompson: “I Love Marijuana”
201 | Lizzy Mercier Descloux & Patti Smith: “Morning High”
201 | Lizzy Mercier Descloux: “Fire”
201 | Lonnie Liston Smith: “Expansions”
201 | Loretta Lynn: “Coal Miner's Daughter”
201 | Loretta Lynn: “Rated X”
176 | Loretta Lynn: “The Pill”
066 | Lou Reed, “Perfect Day”
036 | Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side”
201 | Lou Reed: “Caroline Says”
201 | Lou Reed: “Coney Island Baby”
201 | Lou Reed: “Satellite of Love”
201 | Lou Reed: “Street Hassle”
201 | Lou Reed: “Vicious”
201 | Lou Reed: “Wild Child”
201 | Lyn Collins: “Think (About It)”
201 | Magazine: “Shot by Both Sides”
201 | Magazine: “The Light Pours Out of Me”
201 | Mandrill: “Peace and Love (Movement IV)”
194 | Manu Dibango: Soul Makossa
201 | Marcia Griffiths: “Dreamland”
200 | Marianne Faithfull: “Broken English”
029 | Marvin Gaye, “Got to Give It Up”
003 | Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”
201 | Marvin Gaye: “Distant Lover”
135 | Marvin Gaye: “I Want You”
201 | Marvin Gaye: “Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler)”
201 | Marvin Gaye: “Let's Get It On”
201 | Marvin Gaye: “Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)”
201 | Max Romeo: “Chase the Devil”
201 | MC5: “Over and Over”
201 | Mekons: “Where Were You”
201 | Melodians: “Rivers of Babylon”
201 | Michael Hurley: “Werewolf”
002 | Michael Jackson, “Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough”
031 | Michael Jackson, “Rock With You”
201 | Michael Jackson: “I Can't Help It”
201 | Michael Jackson: “I Wanna Be Where You Are”
201 | Michael Jackson: “Off the Wall”
201 | Michael Jackson: “Workin' Day and Night”
099 | Miles Davis, “Right Off”
201 | Miles Davis: “Bitches Brew”
201 | Miles Davis: “Honky Tonk”
201 | Miles Davis: “Maiysha”
201 | Miles Davis: “On the Corner”
201 | Millie Jackson:“ If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Wanna Be Right)”
201 | Milton Nascimento: “Cravo e Canela”
167 | Milton Nascimento: “Tudo Que Você Podia Ser”
201 | Minnie Riperton: “Inside My Love”
107 | Minnie Riperton: “Les Fleurs”
201 | Misfits: “Bullet”
062 | The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner”
201 | Modern Lovers: “Pablo Picasso”
201 | Motorhead: “Bomber”
201 | Mott the Hoople: “All the Young Dudes”
201 | The Move: “Feel Too Good”
064 | Neil Young & Crazy Horse, “Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)”
038 | Neil Young, “On the Beach”
101 | Neil Young: “After the Gold Rush”
201 | Neil Young: “Ambulance Blues”
201 | Neil Young: “Cortez the Killer”
201 | Neil Young: “Heart of Gold”
201 | Neil Young: “Tonight's the Night”
201 | Neil Young: “Will to Love”
161 | The Nerves: “Hanging on the Telephone”
121 | Neu!: “Hallogallo”
201 | Neu!: “Isi”
201 | New York Dolls: “Personality Crisis”
046 | Nick Drake, “Pink Moon”
147 | Nina Simone: “Baltimore”
201 | Norma Jean: “Saturday”
201 | The Normal: “Warm Leatherette”
084 | The O’Jays, “For the Love of Money”
201 | O'Jays: “Backstabbers”
201 | The Only Ones: “Another Girl, Another Planet”
201 | Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark: “Electricity”
201 | Os Mutantes: “Baby (1971)”
058 | Parliament, “Flash Light”
199 | Patrice Rushen: “Haven’t You Heard”
020 | Patti Smith, “Gloria”
093 | Patti Smith, “Land”
201 | Patti Smith: “Because the Night”
201 | Patti Smith: “Dancing Barefoot”
201 | Patti Smith: “Free Money”
201 | Patti Smith: “Pissing in a River”
201 | Paul McCartney: “Maybe I'm Amazed”
201 | Paul McCartney: “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey”
201 | Pharoah Sanders: “Astral Traveling”
201 | Pharoah Sanders: “Love Is Everywhere”
039 | Pink Floyd, “Wish You Were Here”
201 | Pink Floyd: “Time”
201 | Pink Floyd: “Us and Them”
169 | Plastic Bertrand: “Ça Plane Pour Moi”
201 | The Police: “Message in a Bottle”
201 | The Police: “Roxanne”
201 | Pretenders: “Kid”
007 | Prince, “I Wanna Be Your Lover“
201 | Prince: “I Feel for You”
201 | Prince: “Soft and Wet”
201 | Public Image Ltd: “Public Image”
015 | Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
201 | Queen: “Killer Queen”
201 | Queen: “We Are the Champions”
201 | Quincy Jones: “Summer in the City”
201 | Raincoats: “Fairytale in the Supermarket”
140 | The Raincoats: “In Love”
201 | The Raincoats: “Lola”
033 | Ramones, “Blitzkrieg Bop”
201 | The Ramones: “Judy is a Punk”
201 | Ramones: “Rockaway Beach”
145 | Ramones: “Sheena Is a Punk Rocker”
201 | Randy Newman: “Sail Away”
201 | Raspberries: “Go All The Way”
201 | The Records: “Starry Eyes”
116 | Richard Hell & the Voidoids: “Blank Generation”
201 | Richard Hell & the Voidoids: “Love Comes in Spurts”
201 | Robbie Basho: “Blue Crystal Fire”
201 | Robert Wyatt: “Shipbuilding”
123 | Roberta Flack: “Killing Me Softly With His Song”
170 | The Roches: “Hammond Song”
201 | Rod Stewart: “Maggie May”
065 | The Rolling Stones, “Wild Horses”
201 | Rolling Stones: “Angie”
201 | Rolling Stones: “Beast of Burden”
131 | The Rolling Stones: “Miss You”
201 | Rolling Stones: “Rocks Off”
201 | Rolling Stones: “Tumbling Dice”
201 | Rose Royce: “I Wanna Get Next to You”
159 | Rose Royce: “I’m Going Down”
201 | Rotary Connection: “I Am the Blackgold of the Sun”
201 | Roxy Music: “Do the Strand”
126 | Roxy Music: “Love Is the Drug”
201 | Roxy Music: “Virginia Plain”
072 | Roy Ayers Ubiquity, “Everybody Loves The Sunshine”
201 | Roy Ayers Ubiquity: “We Live in Brooklyn, Baby”
201 | Rufus & Chaka Khan: “Do You Love What You Feel”
201 | Rufus & Chaka Khan: “Sweet Thing”
201 | Runaways: “Cherry Bomb”
201 | Saints: “(I'm) Stranded”
201 | Scritti Politti: “Skank Bloc Bologna”
201 | Secos & Molhados: “Sangue Latino”
201 | Segun Bucknor & His Revolution: “La La La”
120 | Serge Gainsbourg: “Melody”
118 | Sex Pistols: “Anarchy in the UK”
201 | Sex Pistols: “Holidays in the Sun”
201 | Sex Pistols: “Pretty Vacant”
149 | Shuggie Otis: “Information Inspiration”
201 | Shuggie Otis: “Island Letter”
201 | Sibylle Baier: “Tonight”
178 | Siouxsie and the Banshees: “Hong Kong Garden”
201 | Sister Sledge: “Lost in Music”
201 | Sister Sledge: “Thinking of You”
070 | The Slits, “Typical Girls”
201 | Slits: “I Heard It Through the Grapevine”
201 | The Slits: “Instant Hit”
055 | Sly & the Family Stone, “Family Affair”
201 | Sly & the Family Stone: “You Caught Me Smilin'”
201 | Space: “Carry On, Turn Me On”
201 | Sparks: “No. 1 Song In Heaven”
112 | Sparks: “This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us”
201 | Sparks: “Tryouts for the Human Race”
184 | The Spinners: “Could It Be I’m Falling in Love”
201 | Spinners: “I'll Be Around”
087 | Steely Dan, “Peg”
114 | Steely Dan: “Deacon Blues”
201 | Steely Dan: “Do It Again”
201 | Steely Dan: “F.M. (No Static at All)”
201 | Steely Dan: “Kid Charlemagne”
086 | Stevie Wonder, “As”
014 | Stevie Wonder, “Living for the City”
059 | Stevie Wonder, “Superstition”
201 | Stevie Wonder: “Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing”
201 | Stevie Wonder: “Higher Ground”
201 | Stevie Wonder: “I Wish”
201 | Stevie Wonder: “Signed Sealed Delivered (I'm Yours)”
201 | Stevie Wonder: “Sir Duke”
026 | The Stooges, “Search and Destroy”
201 | Stooges: “Down on the Street”
201 | Stooges: “Gimme Danger”
050 | Sugarhill Gang, “Rapper’s Delight”
037 | Suicide, “Dream Baby Dream”
092 | Suicide, “Ghost Rider”
201 | Suicide: “Cheree”
201 | Suicide: “Frankie Teardrop”
168 | Sun Ra: “Door of the Cosmos”
201 | Sun Ra: “Space Is the Place”
201 | Sun Ra: “When There Is No Sun”
201 | Sylvester: “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)”
201 | Sylvia: “Pillow Talk”
201 | Syreeta: “I Love Every Little Thing About You”
201 | T. Rex: “20th Century Boy”
201 | T. Rex: “Jeepster”
154 | T. Rex: “Metal Guru”
079 | Talking Heads, “Life During Wartime”
043 | Talking Heads, “Psycho Killer”
201 | Talking Heads: “Heaven”
201 | Talking Heads: “I Zimbra”
201 | Talking Heads: “Take Me to the River“
201 | Talking Heads: “Thank You for Sending Me an Angel”
201 | Tangerine Dream: “Sequent C”
201 | Teenage Jesus & The Jerks: “Orphans”
201 | Television Personalities: “Part Time Punks”
008 | Television, “Marquee Moon”
201 | Television: “Venus”
057 | The Temptations, “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone”
201 | The Temptations: “Ball of Confusion”
201 | Temptations: “Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)”
201 | The Temptations: “Smiling Faces Sometimes”
185 | Thelma Houston: “Don’t Leave Me This Way”
117 | Thin Lizzy: “The Boys Are Back in Town”
139 | Throbbing Gristle: “Hot on the Heels of Love”
201 | Tim Buckley: “Song to the Siren”
201 | Tim Maia: “No Caminho Do Bem”
201 | Timmy Thomas: “Why Can't We Live Together”
201 | Todd Rundgren: “Hello It's Me”
183 | Todd Rundgren: “International Feel”
201 | Tom Brock: “I Love You More and More”
158 | Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: “American Girl”
201 | Tom Waits: “Tom Traubert's Blues (Three Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen)”
191 | Tom Zé: “Doi”
201 | Tom Zé: “Um Oh! E Um Ah!”
129 | Toots & the Maytals: “Funky Kingston”
201 | Toots & The Maytals: “Time Tough”
151 | Townes Van Zandt: “Pancho & Lefty”
201 | Trinity: “Three Piece Suit”
201 | Tubeway Army: “Are ‘Friends’ Electric?”
201 | Tubeway Army: “Down in the Park”
141 | The Undertones: “Teenage Kicks”
171 | The Walker Brothers: “The Electrician”
201 | Van Halen: “Runnin' With the Devil”
181 | Van Morrison: “Caravan”
201 | Van Morrison: “Into the Mystic”
201 | Vashti Bunyan: “Diamond Day”
198 | Waylon Jennings: “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?”
077 | The Velvet Underground, “Rock & Roll”
027 | The Velvet Underground, “Sweet Jane”
201 | Velvet Underground: “New Age”
201 | Velvet Underground: “Who Loves the Sun”
186 | The Whispers: “And the Beat Goes On”
078 | The Who, “Baba O’Riley”
201 | The Who: “Don't Get Fooled Again”
201 | The Who: “Love, Reign O'er Me”
201 | Vibrators: “Baby Baby”
201 | Vicki Lawrence: “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia”
156 | William DeVaughn: “Be Thankful for What You Got”
201 | Willie Hutch: “Brothers Gonna Work It Out”
201 | Willie Nelson: “Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain”
201 | Willie Nelson: “Whiskey River”
201 | Wings: “Band on the Run”
201 | Wipers: “Better Off Dead”
201 | Wire: “Ex Lion Tamer”
201 | Wire: “Map Ref 41°N 93°W”
148 | Wire: “Outdoor Miner”
201 | Wire: “The 15th”
034 | X-Ray Spex, “Oh Bondage! Up Yours!”
201 | X-Ray Spex: “Germ Free Adolescence”
143 | XTC: “Making Plans for Nigel”
201 | Younger Generation: “We Rap More Mellow”

Oh yeah! I'll be back with the songs that will be added to AM.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Main surprises imo :
- No Wire in the top 100
- Making Plans for Nigel, Teenage Kicks and Damaged Goods not in the top 100 (or even 50)
- Bohemian Rhapsody top 20
- Another Girl, Another Planet and Shot by Both Sides not in the main list (would have hoped for One Chorded Wonders too)
- No AC/DC in the main list (not that I expected them very high, but still)

Happy to see Thirteen so high and Concrete Jungle as one of the 2 Bob Marley picks.
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

Glad to see Minnie Riperton's Les Fleurs gets more recognition.
Last edited by EmilienDelRey on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Some nice surprises on here (Dolly Parton, Carpenters, etc.) And decent Stevie Wonder representation. And yay for EW&F "September."
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

JR wrote:And yay for EW&F "September."

Definitely. It is perhaps the most shocking exclusion on the acclaimed music list. It's a classic radio and wedding staple (at least around here...). It was a hit in its own time, and everyone I know who knows it likes it. Maybe I'm living in some weird "September" bubble, but it's nice to see it get some recognition from a major source.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

See also: Robert Wyatt: “Shipbuilding”
A rare mistake.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Henrik wrote:
See also: Robert Wyatt: “Shipbuilding”
A rare mistake.
John Martyn's "Glory Box" is in there as well, and it is, in fact, a cover of the Portishead song. So I think they're being a tad lenient with which songs can make the "see also" sections.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Very nice to see The Electrician finally get some recognition as it's my favourite song of 1975-1999 IMO.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

All in all a very good list, at least from a representation point of view (order can always be argued). I was pleased like Bang Jan about "The Electrician"; also very glad to see Judee Sill's "The Kiss" on there. They did a pretty nice job covering Brazilian music, too, as well as funk and soul.

The one big gap, to me, continues to be the ignoring of prog (unless one counts krautrock as prog). Aside from Pink Floyd, who generally falls into classic rock anyway, there is nothing listed. Now, I know that prog was reviled by the critical mass of prior decades, but I thought critics had gotten beyond the broad brush used on whole genres.

And yes, I realize how ridiculous much of prog rock can be, but to entirely exclude King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, and Rush from a list of good '70s tracks seems problematic. And annoying.

Also, there's no modern classical at all (the '70s had a ton of great stuff), but I can understand that being excluded as P-fork concerns itself with popular music (though again, the areas can get gray here).

Other than that, an excellent list, and there are some nuggets strewn around there I will need to check out or re-visit.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Seen the list 200-101 so far.
So far, cool list. Like bleupanda, pleased to see September.
I think Donna Summer's I Feel Love may actually hit top 20.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Indeed, Bleu- though let's try not to lump it in the "weddings" category- it's stronger than some of those staples- "Macarena," "The Chicken Dance," etc. :P
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

These songs will be added to AM.

Al Wilson | Show and Tell
The Andrea True Connection | More, More, More
Art Ensemble of Chicago | Thème de Yoyo
The B-52's | 52 Girls
Betty Davis | He Was a Big Freak
Bill Fay | Be Not So Fearful
Bill Withers | Harlem
Black Flag | Nervous Breakdown
Brian Eno | St. Elmo's Fire
Caetano Veloso | You Don't Know Me
Can | Future Days
The Cars | Moving in Stereo
The Chakachas | Jungle Fever
Chic | I Want Your Love
The Clash | Spanish Bombs
Cluster | Sowiesoso
Dinosaur | Kiss Me Again
Don Cherry | Brown Rice
Donnie & Joe Emerson | Baby
Donny Hathaway | A Song for You
Donny Hathaway | I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know
Eddie Kendricks | Girl You Need a Change of Mind
Eddie Kendricks | My People...Hold On
The Equals | Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys
The Fall | It's the New Thing
Funkadelic | Can You Get to That
Funkadelic | Standing on the Verge of Getting It On
Gang of Four | I Found That Essence Rare
Gene Clark | Lady of the North
Germs | Lexicon Devil
Gil Scott-Heron | Home Is Where the Hatred Is
Giorgio Moroder | (Theme From) Midnight Express
Idris Muhammad | Could Heaven Ever Be Like This
Isaac Hayes | The Look of Love
The Isley Brothers | (At Your Best) You Are Love
The Isley Brothers | Footsteps in the Dark
Jimi Hendrix | Machine Gun
Joy Division | Warsaw
Karen Dalton | Something on Your Mind
Kate Bush | Moving
Kool & the Gang | Summer Madness
Lamont Dozier | Going Back to My Roots
Lee Perry & the Full Experiences | Disco Devil
Leon Haywood | I Want'a Do Something Freaky to You
Lou Reed | Caroline Says I
Michael Jackson | I Can't Help It
Michael Jackson | Workin' All Day and Night
Miles Davis | Right Off
Millie Jackson | If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don’t Want To Be Right)
Milton Nascimento | Tudo Que Você Podia Ser
Neil Young | Will to Love
Neu! | Isi
Nina Simone | Baltimore
Patrice Rushen | Haven't You Heard
Patti Smith | Pissing in a River
Prince | I Feel For You
Prince | Soft and Wet
The Raincoats | In Love
The Raincoats | Lola
Ramones | Judy Is a Punk
Rose Royce | I Wanna Get Next to You
Rose Royce | I'm Going Down
Scritti Politti | Shank Bloc Bologna
Secos & Molhados | Sangue Latino
Shuggie Otis | Information Ispiration
The Slits | Instant Hit
Sly and the Family Stone | (You Caught Me) Smilin'
Sparks | Tryouts for the Human Race
Steely Dan | F.M. (No Static at All)
Steely Dan | Kid Charlemagne
Sun Ra | Space Is the Place
Sun Ra and His Arkestra | Door of the Cosmos
Talking Heads | Heaven
Teenage Jesus and the Jerks | Orphans
Television | Venus
Television Personalities | Part-Time Punks
Todd Rundgren | International Feel
Tom Zé | Doi
Trinity | Three Piece Suite
The Velvet Underground | New Age
Vicki Lawrence | The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia
The Walker Brothers | The Electrician
Waylon Jennings | Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way
Willie Nelson | Whiskey River
The Younger Generation [Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five] | We Rap More Mellow

That's a quite long and undoubtedly great list of additional songs. I had a blast adding this list to my spreadsheet. But it was actually frustrating to find out that many great "See also" songs never have appeared in any lists before and therefore still won't be added to AM. I could add them, but it wouldn't make sense, because even with the addition of ca. 3000 songs there are still thousands of other songs that appear in multiple lists (well, usually 2 lists and those are weighted rather low) that are not on AM.

How on earth have no critics before Pitchfork listed these songs?

Archie Shepp | Attica Blues
Baby Huey | Hard Times
The Beach Boys | All I Wanna Do (not even in the two top 50 Beach Boys lists!)
Bootsy's Rubber Band | I'd Rather Be with You
Brian Eno | The Big Ship & Third Uncle
Cymande | Bra
Dennis Brown | The Man Next Door
Gerry Rafferty | Right Down the Line
Giorgio Moroder | From Here to Eternity
Lee Hazlewood | The Night Before
Marvin Gaye | Distant Lover
Rotary Connection | I Am the Blackgold of the Sun
Shuggie Otis | Island Letter
Sister Sledge | Thinking of You
The Stooges | Down on the Street
Talking Heads | I Zimbra
Willie Hutch | Brothers Gonna Work It Out
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

If someone could make a Spotify list of the songs that will be added that would be great!
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Henrik wrote:If someone could make a Spotify list of the songs that will be added that would be great!
I'll take it.
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

Last edited by EmilienDelRey on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

This is a pretty good list, but it was also really easy to predict for everyone that took a stab at it on this thread. Here was my effort:

Heroes (6) / Life on Mars? (1)
I Feel Love (4)
Marquee Moon (8)
Tangled Up in Blue (23)
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough (2)
(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais (HM)
Get Up (I Feel Like Being a Sex Machine) (45)
Wuthering Heights (5)
Move On Up (25)
Living For the City (14) / Superstition (59)
What's Going On (3) / Got to Give it Up (29)
The Model (not listed)
Disorder (91) / Transmission (10)
Search and Destroy (26)
Sweet Jane (27)
Zombie (53)
Walk on the Wild Side (36) / Perfect Day (66)
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (40)
Maggot Brain (63)
When the Levee Breaks (24)
Uptown Top Ranking (42)
Outdoor Miner (148)

They covered a lot of great tracks and will give boosts to many underrated songs with this list, though sonofsam was right to note that they skipped over prog like it didn't happen (not even King Crimson?) and punk got oddly low-balled (highest Clash song at number 48, Wire only got one song at 148, some others were noted by Nassim).

My favorite placements (besides the songs listed above, which I all love) were Dream Baby Dream at 37, On the Beach at 38 (rightly chosen as the best Neil Young song), Kiss Me Again at 49, Journey in Satchidananda at 60, and Don't Fear the Reaper at 119.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Here's the playlist:

No unavailabilities at all.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

So sad about Dancing Queen at #80. How??
Nice to see Kate Bush - "Moving" get a nod.
Also, really happy to see Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough #2! It's my personal favorite MJ song. I certainly didn't expect Pitchfork of all publications to love it.
Loving that Kraftwerk made it to #19.

Did alright on my top 20 (Only got 10 of 'em. Ugh.)
What's Going On (3)
Life on Mars (1) AND/OR Heroes (6)
some Sex Pistols song (118)
some Stevie Wonder song (14)
I Feel Love (4)
Let's Stay Together (13)
Blitzkrieg Bop (33)
Wuthering Heights (5)
Bohemian Rhapsody (15)
some The Clash song (48)
some Bob Dylan song (23)
Dancing Queen (pretty please, with a cherry on top) (80)
some Bob Marley / Wailers song (56)
some Bee Gees song (HM)
Psycho Killer (Talking Heads seem to be a favorite with Pitchfork) (43)
some Stooges track (26)
some Pink Floyd song (39)
maybe Move On Up ?? (25)
some Bruce Springsteen track (16)
maybe Marquee Moon ?? (8)
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

JR wrote:And yay for EW&F "September."
1000 times THIS! :music-listening:
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Like the 80s list, they missed a lot of the best songs by certain artists, IMO.
Henrik wrote: 089 | Blondie, “Dreaming”
018 | Blondie, “Heart of Glass”
201 | Blondie: “Hanging on the Telephone”
201 | Blondie: “One Way Or Another”
"Atomic" is better than all of these, IMO.
201 | Bootsy Collins: “I'd Rather Be With You”
Very happy this got a mention!
100 | Brian Eno, “1/1”
076 | Brian Eno, “St. Elmo’s Fire”
192 | Brian Eno: “Baby's on Fire”
201 | Brian Eno: “Here Come the Warm Jets”
201 | Brian Eno: “Needles In the Camel’s Eye”
201 | Brian Eno: “The Big Ship”
201 | Brian Eno: “Third Uncle”
"Mother Whale Eyeless" would be my pick, though everything's great here.
201 | Cerrone: “Give Me Love”
187 | Cerrone: “Supernature”
"Je Suis Music" is my pick.
047 | The Cure, “Boys Don’t Cry”
201 | The Cure: “Killing an Arab”
"10:15 Saturday Night", "Grinding Halt", and "Jumping Someone Else's Train" are all better, IMO.
006 | David Bowie, ““Heroes””
021 | David Bowie, “Changes”
001 | David Bowie, “Life on Mars?”
044 | David Bowie, “Young Americans”
201 | David Bowie: “Fame”
201 | David Bowie: “Five Years”
201 | David Bowie: “Golden Years”
201 | David Bowie: “Sound and Vision”
201 | David Bowie: “Starman”
201 | David Bowie: “Station to Station”
201 | David Bowie: “Ziggy Stardust”
So much Bowie, so little "Moonage Daydream", "Aladdin Sane", "Lady Grinning Soul"... :(
201 | Devo: “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction”
"Mongoloid", "Jocko Homo", "Gut Feeling", "Swelling Itching Brain", "Secret Agent Man", "Uncontrollable Urge", "The Day My Baby Gave Me a Surprize", "Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA"... They really dropped the ball here, IMO.
004 | Donna Summer, “I Feel Love”
201 | Donna Summer: “Love to Love You Baby”
The expected picks, I suppose, and they're great. But "Rumour Has It", "Working The Midnight Shift", and "Our Love" would be my choices.
144 | Elvis Costello & the Attractions: “Radio Radio”
109 | Elvis Costello: “Alison”
201 | Elvis Costello: “Pump It Up”
"Pump It Up" deserves it. There are lots of songs on This Year's Model that could take the place of the other two, IMO.
053 | Fela Kuti & Africa 70, “Zombie”
201 | Fela Kuti: “Water No Get Enemy”
"Colonial Mentality" would be my pick.
009 | Fleetwood Mac, “Dreams”
052 | Fleetwood Mac, “The Chain”
201 | Fleetwood Mac: “Go Your Own Way”
201 | Fleetwood Mac: “Landslide”
201 | Fleetwood Mac: “Sara”
201 | Fleetwood Mac: “Walk a Thin Line”
How did they miss "Rhiannon"?!
032 | Funkadelic, “Can You Get to That”
063 | Funkadelic, “Maggot Brain”
201 | Funkadelic: “Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts”
201 | Funkadelic: “One Nation Under a Groove”
201 | Funkadelic: “Standing on the Verge of Getting It On”
"Can You Get to That" as their best?! Baffling. I think it's the worst song on Maggot Brain. Along with "Maggot Brain", the class of their 70s work is "Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock", "Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow", "You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks", "Miss Lucifer's Love", "Pussy", "March to the Witch's Castle", "I'll Stay", "Undisco Kidd", "(Not Just) Knee Deep", IMO.
017 | Iggy Pop, “Lust for Life”
095 | Iggy Pop, “The Passenger”
201 | Iggy Pop: “Nightclubbing”
201 | Iggy Pop: “Sister Midnight”
Surprised they didn't throw "China Girl" in there! Also would have loved to see "Neighborhood Threat" and especially "Mass Production".
091 | Joy Division, “Disorder”
010 | Joy Division, “Transmission“
201 | Joy Division: “Shadowplay”
201 | Joy Division: “She's Lost Control”
201 | Joy Division: “Warsaw”
"New Dawn Fades" and "Day of the Lords" compete with "Disorder" for top billing for me.
094 | Kraftwerk, “Autobahn”
019 | Kraftwerk, “Trans Europe Express”
201 | Kraftwerk: “Radioactivity”
201 | Kraftwerk: “The Robots”
I like the spread across the 4 main albums, but none of these would make my top 5 Kraftwerk songs of the 70s:

"Europe Endless", "The Model" (shocked they didn't include this), "Metropolis", "Neon Lights", and "Spacelab".
066 | Lou Reed, “Perfect Day”
036 | Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side”
201 | Lou Reed: “Caroline Says”
201 | Lou Reed: “Coney Island Baby”
201 | Lou Reed: “Satellite of Love”
201 | Lou Reed: “Street Hassle”
201 | Lou Reed: “Vicious”
201 | Lou Reed: “Wild Child”
"Sad Song" is his very best, IMO.
201 | Magazine: “Shot by Both Sides”
201 | Magazine: “The Light Pours Out of Me”
The ones you'd expect, but I much prefer "My Tulpa", "Motorcade", "Parade", and "Burst".
062 | The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner”
201 | Modern Lovers: “Pablo Picasso”
It's all about "Hospital" for me.
121 | Neu!: “Hallogallo”
201 | Neu!: “Isi”
Solid picks, but they are blown away by "Negativland", IMO.
058 | Parliament, “Flash Light”
Their best song, but only one? Parliament continue to be given only token consideration by critics, it seems. They are right up there with Bowie and anyone else as a hugely influential artist of the 70s.
020 | Patti Smith, “Gloria”
093 | Patti Smith, “Land”
201 | Patti Smith: “Because the Night”
201 | Patti Smith: “Dancing Barefoot”
201 | Patti Smith: “Free Money”
201 | Patti Smith: “Pissing in a River”
Give me "Birdland", "Godspeed", and "Easter" over most of these.
Over "Brass in Pocket"?
007 | Prince, “I Wanna Be Your Lover“
201 | Prince: “I Feel for You”
201 | Prince: “Soft and Wet”
All great, but none as great as "Bambi", "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad" or "When We're Dancing Close and Slow". My pick for For You would be "Just As Long As We're Together".
201 | Roxy Music: “Do the Strand”
126 | Roxy Music: “Love Is the Drug”
201 | Roxy Music: “Virginia Plain”
All great songs, but "Editions of You" might just be the best song of the 70s.
201 | Sparks: “No. 1 Song In Heaven”
112 | Sparks: “This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us”
201 | Sparks: “Tryouts for the Human Race”
"Amateur Hour" is my pick from Kimono My House, and "Academy Award Performance" from No 1 in Heaven. All three listed songs are worthy, though.
086 | Stevie Wonder, “As”
014 | Stevie Wonder, “Living for the City”
059 | Stevie Wonder, “Superstition”
201 | Stevie Wonder: “Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing”
201 | Stevie Wonder: “Higher Ground”
201 | Stevie Wonder: “I Wish”
201 | Stevie Wonder: “Signed Sealed Delivered (I'm Yours)”
201 | Stevie Wonder: “Sir Duke”
All big in their own right, but I long for "Saturn", "Knocks Me Off My Feet", and "Another Star".
201 | T. Rex: “20th Century Boy”
201 | T. Rex: “Jeepster”
154 | T. Rex: “Metal Guru”
"Cosmic Dancer", "Electic Slim and the Factory Hen", and "Left Hand Luke and the Beggar Boys" would be my picks. Seems weird they looked over "Get It On".
079 | Talking Heads, “Life During Wartime”
043 | Talking Heads, “Psycho Killer”
201 | Talking Heads: “Heaven”
201 | Talking Heads: “I Zimbra”
201 | Talking Heads: “Take Me to the River“
201 | Talking Heads: “Thank You for Sending Me an Angel”
"Cities" and "Air" are my go-to picks for 70s Talking Heads.
008 | Television, “Marquee Moon”
201 | Television: “Venus”
"Elevation" and "Torn Curtain" would be my two picks here.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Moonbeam wrote:
Over "Brass in Pocket"?
It made their '80s list.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:
Over "Brass in Pocket"?
It made their '80s list.
Nice! Should have checked that first.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I like that they have incorporated the "see also" part after every song. It'll probably take me about a couple of weeks to digest all the new songs. Dinosaur, Roy Ayers and the Congos are artists in the top 100 I'm unfamiliar with and I'm excited to discover them.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bang Jan wrote:Here's the playlist:

No unavailabilities at all.
Thanks Bang Jan! I highly recommend everyone to listen to these gems.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Part of Pitchfork's celebration of the 70s. I know this is not eligible but watching awesome 70s videos is a good way to pass the time. Note that the Prince video does not contain the original audio 'cuz you know why.

The 25 Best Music Videos of the 1970s

From Grace Jones’ erotic castle to Kraftwerk’s singing automatons to Kate Bush’s otherworldly hall of mirrors, these pre-MTV clips helped define what music videos could be.

As the ’70s went on, distribution networks for music videos (throughout this piece, I use “music video” as shorthand, even though it doesn’t directly apply in many cases) started emerging. Local television stations would often air the clips between programs, and discos started streaming them on loop via closed-circuit TV. Actual music video programs started taking shape as well: Australian television had two such shows, and ex-Monkee Mike Nesmith started a program called “Pop Clips” that briefly aired on Nickelodeon a year before MTV’s launch.

The music video format proliferated and matured during the 1980s and 1990s, but musicians and filmmakers developed its basic shape and first explored its creative limits during the ’70s, a time of tumult and innovation in the record business, from the rise of arena rock and prog through the emergence of disco, electronic dance music, punk, and new wave. Out of the hundreds of videos created during that heady decade, we’ve selected the 25 that best represent the format’s possibilities, eccentricities, and influence, and added a few dozen runners-up to cover all the bases.

25. The Rolling Stones: “It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)” (1974)
See also: The Rolling Stones: “Angie” (1973) and “Miss You” (1978)
24. Ray Spex: “Identity” (1978)
See also: The Jam: “In the City” (1977); The Clash: “London Calling” (1979)
23. Yellow Magic Orchestra: “Tong Poo” (1979)
22. Bee Gees: “Lonely Days” (1970)
See also: The Bee Gees: “Jive Talkin’” and “Stayin’ Alive” (1977)
21. Blondie: “Heart of Glass” (1978)
See also: Blondie: “Dreaming” and “Union City Blue” (1979)
20. Grace Jones: “Do or Die” (1978)
See also: Amanda Lear: “Gold” (1978); Asha Puthli: “Mister Moonlight” (1978)
19. Prince: “I Wanna Be Your Lover” (1979)
See also: Sparks: “This Town Ain’t Big Enough for the Both of Us” (1974); Bob Marley & the Wailers: “Is This Love?” (1978)
18. Gloria Gaynor: “I Will Survive” (1979)
See also: Dr. Buzzard’s Original Savannah Band: “Cherchez La Femme” (1976); Sister Sledge: “We Are Family” (1979)
17. The Alan Parsons Project: “I Wouldn’t Want to Be Like You” (1977)
See also: Pink Floyd: “Money” (1973); Kansas: “Dust in the Wind” (1977); Queen: “We Will Rock You” (1977)
16. The Boomtown Rats: “I Don’t Like Mondays” (1979)
See also: The Police: “Message in a Bottle” (1979); Cheap Trick: “Dream Police” (1979)
15. ABBA: “Take a Chance on Me” (1977)
See also: ABBA: “Waterloo” (1974), “SOS” (1975), “Dancing Queen” (1976), and “Fernando” (1976)
14. Joni Mitchell: “Big Yellow Taxi” (1971)
See also: Coven: “One Tin Soldier” (1972); Cher: “Dark Lady” (1974)
13. Giorgio Moroder: “From Here to Eternity” (1977)
See also: Donna Summer: “Last Dance” (1978)
12. Sylvester: “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” (1979)
See also: The Village People: “YMCA” (1978); Chic: “Le Freak” (1978)
11. David Bowie: “Life on Mars?” (1973)
See also: David Bowie: “Heroes” (1975), “Be My Wife” (1977), and “Boys Keep Swinging” (1979)
10. The Residents: “Third Reich & Roll” (1976)
See also: Captain Beefheart: “Lick My Decals Off, Baby” TV ad (1970); Suicide: “Frankie Teardrop” (1977)
9. Hall & Oates: “She’s Gone” (1973)
See also: Elton John: “Your Song” (1970); Gerry Rafferty: “Baker Street” (1977)
8. George Harrison: “This Song” (1976)
See also: John Lennon: “Imagine” (1971); Wings: “Silly Love Songs” (1976)
7. XTC: “Making Plans for Nigel” (1979)
See also: AC/DC: “Jailbreak” (1976); The Buggles: “Video Killed the Radio Star” (1979)
6. Michael Jackson: “Rock With You” (1979)
See also: Michael Jackson: “Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough” (1979)
5. Kraftwerk: “The Robots” (1978)
See also: Kraftwerk: “Autobahn” (1975)
4. Elvis Costello: “Accidents Will Happen” (1979)
See Also: Elvis Costello: “Radio Radio” (1978) and “Oliver’s Army” (1979)
3. Kate Bush: “Wuthering Heights” (1979)
See also: Brian Eno: “China My China” (1974); Bryan Ferry: “You Go To My Head” (1975)
2. Devo: “The Truth About De-Evolution” (1976)
See also: Suicide Commandos: “Burn it Down” (1977); Devo: “Satisfaction” (1978); Nick Lowe: “Cruel to be Kind” (1979)
1. Queen: “Bohemian Rhapsody” (1975)
See also: Queen: “You’re My Best Friend” (1976) and “Somebody to Love” (1976)

And here's the video presentation of the top 10 songs:
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “1970s”