CBC Radio - The Band's Ten Best Songs

Lists of artists’ favourite albums/songs and critics’ lists of the best songs by a specific artist, with 10 songs or less.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

CBC Radio - The Band's Ten Best Songs

Post by DocBrown »

10. King Harvest (Has Surely Come)
9. Tears of Rage
8. Stage Fright
7. Acadian Driftwood
6. Up On Cripple Creek
5. The Shape I'm In
4. Ophelia
3. It Makes No Difference
2. The Weight
1. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

http://music.cbc.ca/#!/Lists/blogs/2015 ... best-songs
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Re: CBC Radio - The Band's Ten Best Songs

Post by JR »

Just a note- artist lists, I believe, are now a 30-position minimum for inclusion at AM.
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

How is "The Weight" not #1?
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Daniel wrote:How is "The Weight" not #1?
Some people prefer The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down slightly more. It is after all their other super-acclaimed song.
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

babydoll wrote:
Some people prefer The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down slightly more. It is after all their other super-acclaimed song.
"The Weight" - #123 on AcclaimedMusic
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - #572 on AcclaimedMusic

That's kind of like "20th Century Boy" being named T. Rex's best song over "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" or "Hard to Explain" being named the Strokes' best song over "Last Nite" or "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" as the Animals' best song over "House of the Rising Sun" or "All Apologies" being named Nirvana's best song.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Daniel wrote:
babydoll wrote:

That's kind of like "20th Century Boy" being named T. Rex's best song over "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" or "Hard to Explain" being named the Strokes' best song over "Last Nite" or "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" as the Animals' best song over "House of the Rising Sun" or "All Apologies" being named Nirvana's best song.
How is #572 out of billions of recordings bad? And actually I do prefer 20th Century Boy over Bang a Gong (Get It On) and All Apologies (but not my #1) over Smells Like Teen Spirit (which I do not like). Plus I wouldn't be against We Gotta Get Out of This Place being #1 in a list of top 10 Animals songs even if I love House of the Rising Sun.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

babydoll wrote:
Daniel wrote:
babydoll wrote: Some people prefer The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down slightly more. It is after all their other super-acclaimed song.

How is #572 out of billions of recordings bad? And actually I do prefer 20th Century Boy over Bang a Gong (Get It On) and All Apologies (but not my #1) over Smells Like Teen Spirit (which I do not like). Plus I wouldn't be against We Gotta Get Out of This Place being #1 in a list of top 10 Animals songs even if I love House of the Rising Sun.
And "Hard to Explain" is better than "Last Nite." Also, Nirvana's best song is "Lithium."

As for The Band, I have no problem with "Dixie" outranking "The Weight." I would also rank "King Harvest" higher than #10, and it would have been great to see "Across the Great Divide" or "Whispering Pines" in there somewhere. That self-titled second album is as perfect as it gets, and I'm sorry to see both it and Big Pink slowly-but-steadily dropping in estimation as time goes by.

Return to “Short lists”