EOY Albums: Sources

Holden
Never Going Back Again

EOY Albums: Sources

Post by Holden »

Mexico: IndieRocks, Rolling Stone (Mexico)
Norway: Dagbladet, Dagbladet (National), Dagsavisen
Sweden: Noiesquiden, Noiesquiden (Natl)
UK: Classic Rock, Electronic Sound (Electronic), Metal Hammer, Shindig!, Vive Le Rock!
USA: Alternative Press, American Songwriter, Downbeat (Beyond), Downbeat (Blues), Downbeat (Jazz), Noisey, XLR8R
Last edited by Holden on Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:52 am, edited 134 times in total.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Re: EOY Albums: Sources

Post by Donchano »

May I know why Guitar.com gets excluded from the list? It's printed magazine dedicated for music, they do album review although it's not 10 or more per monthly but I've been told that printed magazine always eligible for the list. Any explanation?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Donchano wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:00 am May I know why Guitar.com gets excluded from the list? It's printed magazine dedicated for music, they do album review although it's not 10 or more per monthly but I've been told that printed magazine always eligible for the list. Any explanation?
It should be eligible too if the list is by multiple reviewers.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Would you ever include that Needledrop subscription channel on YouTube with that big foreheaded Anthony guy that no one likes? As much as people hate on him it’s still on the popular side.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

luvulongTIM wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:12 am Would you ever include that Needledrop subscription channel on YouTube with that big foreheaded Anthony guy that no one likes? As much as people hate on him it’s still on the popular side.
In Year End lists lists must be made by three+ critics. His classic picks and decade-end lists are included.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I'll be updating this as I go as well. Up there are the sources remaining.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

luvulongTIM wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:12 am Would you ever include that Needledrop subscription channel on YouTube with that big foreheaded Anthony guy that no one likes? As much as people hate on him it’s still on the popular side.
Bruh thats factually wrong, I love melon head and watch him all the time! :D :D :D
(but I do understand the polarizing opinions of him lol)
Edre the Depeche Head
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I don't want to be that person, but there are YouTube critics with more impact than many written sources. I hope that at some point the rules will be revised, if not for the audience at least valuing continuity (there are some who have 5 or more years criticing albums non-stoping and have more independent opinions than some media that are influenced by sponsors or monetary issues)
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Since last november Rolling Stone Mexico and Rolling Stone Colombia have fusioned into Rolling Stone en Español.

Both previously published their songs list of 2021 separately. In december, they published its first list as Rolling Stone en Español (albums list)

There are rumours than Rolling Stone Argentina will join to Rolling Stone en Español soon (not 100% confirmed), but it seems they will be publishing their lists (album and song) by their own.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Alright y’all. I’m aware that the Needle Drop has a wider influence than Gorilla vs. Bear and other publications. I’m not adding it to the list, because of the rules established. There’s not going to be another update until 2024 anyways, so we can discuss this then. It can stop being brought up, because I’m not changing the rules right now. Thanks.
Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Donchano »

Holden wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:12 pm Alright y’all. I’m aware that the Needle Drop has a wider influence than Gorilla vs. Bear and other publications. I’m not adding it to the list, because of the rules established. There’s not going to be another update until 2024 anyways, so we can discuss this then. It can stop being brought up, because I’m not changing the rules right now. Thanks.
That being said 2020 was a major change for critics most likely due to pandemic. Some old regular sources have stopped operating but at the same some new publications have emerged. I wonder if the new ones will be counted later on for 2020 aggregate list considering some of them didn't meet requirements last year especially the Alexa ranking as they were new established website but have gained so much in 2021.
Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Donchano »

In addition, just my opinion regarding the rules I hope that we can bend a bit on Alexa ranking for non-English sites. I see a lot of sources from small non-Anglo countries but they are excluded simply because their Alexa ranking are not in the Top 1,000,000. The language barrier leads to smaller audiences which explains their low Alexa ranking.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

This year IndieRocks from Mexico didn't release its list and it seems isn't going to do it. Every year did it before New Year Eve.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

American Songwriter

They published their staff lists individually. Only one album is listed twice, out of the 41 albums total. Your call - if you want it to be included then I can transcribe it all but if not then you can cross it off the list.

Link - Website

Downbeat (Jazz, Blues & Beyond)

For their list, Downbeat just listed the albums their writers gave a five-star rating to. Again, is this worth transcribing or do you want to delist them instead?

Link - Website
Link - PDF
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Holden wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:12 pm Alright y’all. I’m aware that the Needle Drop has a wider influence than Gorilla vs. Bear and other publications. I’m not adding it to the list, because of the rules established. There’s not going to be another update until 2024 anyways, so we can discuss this then. It can stop being brought up, because I’m not changing the rules right now. Thanks.
Speaking of future updates (and apologise in advance if this has already been answered elsewhere) are there any plans to expand from the current 'Top 3,000' albums to the 4,000 or even 5,000? Or will you be sticking to the current number?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Matski wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:20 pm
Speaking of future updates (and apologise in advance if this has already been answered elsewhere) are there any plans to expand from the current 'Top 3,000' albums to the 4,000 or even 5,000? Or will you be sticking to the current number?
I’m certainly not in charge of this! Additionally, I think that if Henrik wants to expand the number I’m sure he will, and doesn’t need us to ask him.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

It's okay, I'm not advocating for a change. Just enquiring if there's been any mention of one. I'll possibly PM Henrik later. Thanks.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

It looks like Dagsavisen has released a list, but it's behind a paywall. Is anyone subscribed to this service?

Return to “EOY 2021”