✅ Oor (NL) - De 40 beste albums van de jaren '10 (The 40 best albums of the '10's)

Critics’ lists published at the end of the decade.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

✅ Oor (NL) - De 40 beste albums van de jaren '10 (The 40 best albums of the '10's)

Post by Rob »

The year-end list of Oor has already been posted some time ago, but I noticed that the Decade list hasn't, despite being eligible (like the year list, it is based on combined top 10's of about 60 critics) and appearing in the very same magazine. Here goes:

1. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
2. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
3. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
4. David Bowie - Blackstar
5. Low - Double Negative
6. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
7. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
8. Adele - 21
9. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
10. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
11. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
12. Tame Impala - Currents
13. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
14. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2
15. Typhoon - Lobi Da Basi
16. Spoon - They Want My Soul
17. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
18. Kanye West - Yeezus
19. Idles - Joy As An Act of Resistance
20. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
21. Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!
22. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
23. The National - High Violet
24. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
25. Solange - A Seat At the Table
26. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City
27. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
28. Kamasi Washington - The Epic
29. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
30. The War On Drugs - Lost in the Dream
31. Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
32. Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
33. D'Angelo & The Vanguard - Black Messiah
34. Beyoncé - Beyoncé
35. Moss - Strike
36. Frank Ocean - Blonde
37. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
38. The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
39. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
40. Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer

So, except the Moss album nothing too out of the ordinary here (Typhoon's Lobi Di Basi may be unfamiliar to most here, but was a sensation in The Netherlands). No Lemonade, but otherwise most of the usual suspects are here. However, what is unusual is the order. Push the Sky Away is an odd one, as is An Awesome Wave at 6. Not the kind of consensus results you expect when you let over 60 people vote. Nice to see Double Negative and A Crow Looked At Me so high. Not so nice that once again the year 2019 is mostly ignored (only Norman Fucking Rockwell appears).
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Re: Oor (NL) - De 40 beste albums van de jaren '10 (The 40 best albums of the '10's)

Post by acroamor »

Having Push the Sky Away at number one is such a European move.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Oor (NL) - De 40 beste albums van de jaren '10 (The 40 best albums of the '10's)

Post by Rob »

acroamor wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:55 pm Having Push the Sky Away at number one is such a European move.
In what way?
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Cave is just an artist that does so much better in Europe than he does stateside. I also find many European publications have a bit of a contrarian streak, which is why it's funny they picked Push the Sky Away, which is a well-regarded album, but not as acclaimed as either of its two follow-ups.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

acroamor wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:54 pm Cave is just an artist that does so much better in Europe than he does stateside. I also find many European publications have a bit of a contrarian streak, which is why it's funny they picked Push the Sky Away, which is a well-regarded album, but not as acclaimed as either of its two follow-ups.
Contrarian suggests that there is intent behind it, but this list is an aggregation of over 60 individual lists, so it is more coincidence than choice. And although Push the Sky Away is certainly an unusual number 1 - indeed even among Nick Cave albums - I do not find much contrarianism in this publication when reading it, nor in most European ones, unless you find a greater love for artists not from the USA from countries that are not the USA a form of rebellion, which it isn't; it's a difference in exposure (and Europe is not a country, so there are big differences in music exposure from country to country).

Nick Cave is not exactly mainstream here, although I believe he has become far more popular than ever. He is no longer the cult figure of less than ten years ago, but I think that is a worldwide phenomenon. Kind of an odd thing to happen for a guy with a very prolific career who is in his sixties, but that is cool.
Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

Edit,
Last edited by Monte on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Monte wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 am #10 is different here : https://oor.nl/achtergronden/de-20-best ... ie-lowell/
Are you sure? I can't read the article, as I don't have an account for Oor.nl (I got their list from the printed magazine); do you? From the part that I can see, nothing contradicts what I posted above?
Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

Rob wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:32 am
Monte wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 am #10 is different here : https://oor.nl/achtergronden/de-20-best ... ie-lowell/
Are you sure? I can't read the article, as I don't have an account for Oor.nl (I got their list from the printed magazine); do you? From the part that I can see, nothing contradicts what I posted above?
I misread, sorry man
lagire
Keep On Movin'

Post by lagire »

Rob wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:23 pm The year-end list of Oor has already been posted some time ago, but I noticed that the Decade list hasn't, despite being eligible (like the year list, it is based on combined top 10's of about 60 critics) and appearing in the very same magazine. Here goes:
Did you know if the complete lists votes can be found on the printed magazine?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

lagire wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:30 pm
Rob wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:23 pm The year-end list of Oor has already been posted some time ago, but I noticed that the Decade list hasn't, despite being eligible (like the year list, it is based on combined top 10's of about 60 critics) and appearing in the very same magazine. Here goes:
Did you know if the complete lists votes can be found on the printed magazine?
Nope, just the aggregate list.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

1. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
2. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
3. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
4. David Bowie - Blackstar
5. Low - Double Negative
6. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
7. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
8. Adele - 21
9. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
10. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
11. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
12. Tame Impala - Currents
13. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
14. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2
15. Typhoon - Lobi Da Basi
16. Spoon - They Want My Soul
17. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
18. Kanye West - Yeezus
19. Idles - Joy As An Act of Resistance
20. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
21. Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!
22. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
23. The National - High Violet
24. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
25. Solange - A Seat At the Table
26. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City
27. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
28. Kamasi Washington - The Epic
29. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
30. The War On Drugs - Lost in the Dream
31. Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
32. Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
33. D'Angelo & The Vanguard - Black Messiah
34. Beyoncé - Beyoncé
35. Moss - Strike
36. Frank Ocean - Blonde
37. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
38. The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
39. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
40. Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer

So, except the Moss album nothing too out of the ordinary here (Typhoon's Lobi Di Basi may be unfamiliar to most here, but was a sensation in The Netherlands). No Lemonade, but otherwise most of the usual suspects are here. However, what is unusual is the order. Push the Sky Away is an odd one, as is An Awesome Wave at 6. Not the kind of consensus results you expect when you let over 60 people vote. Nice to see Double Negative and A Crow Looked At Me so high. Not so nice that once again the year 2019 is mostly ignored (only Norman Fucking Rockwell appears).
https://www.muzieklijstjes.nl/10s.htm
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Most important lists
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s

Return to “EOD 2010s”