8. Courtney Barnett - Tell Me How You Really Feel
7. Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
6. Aidan Moffat and RM Hubbert - Here Lies the Body
5. Robyn - Honey
4. IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance
3. Mitski - Be the Cowboy
2. Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
1. Young Fathers - Cocoa Sugar
Last edited by charliepanayi on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Post by Harold »

charliepanayi wrote: 9. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy
First appearance on an eligible list so far for this - it's way too early to look for trends, but I was starting to wonder whether the album (one of the highest-ranked 2018 albums on both RYM and Best Ever Albums, in addition to its high Mega-Critic rank here) might suffer in the EOY lists for being a re-recording of previously issued material. Again, too early to tell, but it's good to see it finally show up.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Harold wrote:
First appearance on an eligible list so far for this - it's way too early to look for trends, but I was starting to wonder whether the album (one of the highest-ranked 2018 albums on both RYM and Best Ever Albums, in addition to its high Mega-Critic rank here) might suffer in the EOY lists for being a re-recording of previously issued material. Again, too early to tell, but it's good to see it finally show up.
Also coming out all the way back in February.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

charliepanayi wrote:
Harold wrote:
Also coming out all the way back in February.
That shouldn't really have any impact. Back in 2009, Merriweather Post Pavilion was released in January, and it thoroughly dominated the EOY lists.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

I never said it was something that affected ALL albums (there are always exceptions, especially phenomenons like Blackstar and Merriweather), but I have noticed that many albums coming out in January/February often suffer a bit in end of year lists
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Harold wrote:
I just hope it will be possible to sort out which recording the critics will refer to in their end of decade lists.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henrik wrote:I just hope it will be possible to sort out which [version of Twin Fantasy the critics will refer to in their end of decade lists.
It wouldn't surprise me to see both listed as a single entry, more often than not.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

With any luck, they'll be thoughful enough to post a date alongside and/or give the full title.
discord
Let's Get It On

Post by discord »

I think the fact most of the tracks are over-long detracts from the listening experience.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Beach Life-in-Death finishes too soon ...
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

#1 yet to be revealed as I write this. I have a feeling what it might be, and I continue to be surprised. The album had a somewhat CHILLY reception upon release, but now that it's EOY time everyone seems to be over THE MOON about it.

(If #1 turns out to be something else the above is going to look even sillier than it already is...)
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Harold wrote:#1 yet to be revealed as I write this. I have a feeling what it might be, and I continue to be surprised. The album had a somewhat CHILLY reception upon release, but now that it's EOY time everyone seems to be over THE MOON about it.

(If #1 turns out to be something else the above is going to look even sillier than it already is...)
Maybe being a bit slow, but can't actually work out what album you're referring to but their top 3 in July was

3) Parquet Courts – Wide Awake!
2) Hookworms – Microshift
1) Young Fathers – Cocoa Sugar

presume #2 has disappeared completely for obvious reasons, leaving #1, plus they're Scottish.

https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/opini ... 018-so-far
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Harold wrote:#1 yet to be revealed as I write this. I have a feeling what it might be, and I continue to be surprised. The album had a somewhat CHILLY reception upon release, but now that it's EOY time everyone seems to be over THE MOON about it.
Maybe being a bit slow, but can't actually work out what album you're referring to
Arctic Monkeys, Tranquility Base...
1) Young Fathers – Cocoa Sugar
Yeah, that would make sense. It would be a good choice, too. Their best album so far.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Harold wrote:
JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Maybe being a bit slow, but can't actually work out what album you're referring to
Arctic Monkeys, Tranquility Base...
That's what I thought, but wasn't aware of the moon connection until just there now. Actually also separately started to listen to it properly for the 1st time, having been put off by the initial chilly reception...
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

It sucks that The Skinny gave Fucked Up's Dose Your Dreams five stars but it didn't show up here. I haven't seen it any YE lists so far, sadly.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

JohnnyBGoode wrote:
presume #2 has disappeared completely for obvious reasons, leaving #1, plus they're Scottish.
What are the "obvious reasons" that Hookworms would have dropped off? Was there a scandal I missed?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Jackson wrote:
JohnnyBGoode wrote:
What are the "obvious reasons" that Hookworms would have dropped off? Was there a scandal I missed?
They broke up last month after their lead singer was accused by multiple women of sexual and emotional abuse.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Harold wrote:
Jackson wrote:
JohnnyBGoode wrote:
They broke up last month after their lead singer was accused by multiple women of sexual and emotional abuse.
That'll do it!
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Jackson wrote:It sucks that The Skinny gave Fucked Up's Dose Your Dreams five stars but it didn't show up here. I haven't seen it any YE lists so far, sadly.
They gave out (at least) 38 top marks according to AOTY, but even if they hadn't, reviews are only 1 person, eligible lists need to be at least 3 different people, not to mention reviews are at time of release, Y.E. lists allow for 'growers'.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Jackson wrote:It sucks that The Skinny gave Fucked Up's Dose Your Dreams five stars but it didn't show up here. I haven't seen it any YE lists so far, sadly.
They gave out (at least) 38 top marks according to AOTY, but even if they hadn't, reviews are only 1 person, eligible lists need to be at least 3 different people, not to mention reviews are at time of release, Y.E. lists allow for 'growers'.
Yes, but I was always afraid that this great punk/ hard rock output of this year would not be reflected on the End of Year lists because it doesn't fit the current music narrative around poptimism and hiphop of many publications. Could still be wrong of course.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Rob wrote:
JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Yes, but I was always afraid that this great punk/ hard rock output of this year would not be reflected on the End of Year lists because it doesn't fit the current music narrative around poptimism and hiphop of many publications. Could still be wrong of course.
They do have Parquet Courts and Idles in their top five here
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

charliepanayi wrote:
Rob wrote: Yes, but I was always afraid that this great punk/ hard rock output of this year would not be reflected on the End of Year lists because it doesn't fit the current music narrative around poptimism and hiphop of many publications. Could still be wrong of course.
And those two albums (my two favorites of the year, actually) are already doing quite well overall and will no doubt continue to do so (I fully expect Wide Awake! to be a top three album on the USA lists, at least).
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

charliepanayi wrote:
Rob wrote:
JohnnyBGoode wrote:
I love those albums too. 2/3 isn't bad. It just seems like Dose Your Dreams isn't catching on with critics like David Comes to Life did despite similarly positive reviews - maybe when more U.S./Canada lists start rolling in, that will change.

Post by _______________ »

Jackson wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:
Rob wrote:
I love those albums too. 2/3 isn't bad. It just seems like Dose Your Dreams isn't catching on with critics like David Comes to Life did despite similarly positive reviews - maybe when more U.S./Canada lists start rolling in, that will change.
I'm convinced it will.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Not sure why they're waiting so long to post the rest of their list. Last year their top 50 was up within a day after they finished unveiling the top 10.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

They've probably just left doing it until Monday this time. Or maybe they forgot before they left for the weekend!
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Harold wrote:Not sure why they're waiting so long to post the rest of their list. Last year their top 50 was up within a day after they finished unveiling the top 10.
I have to admit that this delay is really bugging the crap out of me. I realize that in the larger scheme of things a website being lax in posting a top albums list is an extremely minor concern, but stuff like this happens a lot and it bothers me.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

charliepanayi wrote:Albums (ongoing)

https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/opini ... f-the-year

10. Nils Frahm - All Melody
9. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy
8. Courtney Barnett - Tell Me How You Really Feel
7. Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
6. Aidan Moffat and RM Hubbert - Here Lies the Body
5. Robyn - Honey
4. IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance
3. Mitski - Be the Cowboy
2. Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
1. Young Fathers - Cocoa Sugar
Charlie, the top 50 is finally up! Transcription when you can get to it - thanks!
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Done! Thanks
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

First appearance for Mount Eerie's Now Only, a bit of a surprise considering how well-received it was when it came out (not to mention the reception for its predecessor). I wonder if the album suffered from what we might call "grief fatigue," given how similar it is to A Crow.... (Given the upturn Phil Elverum's life has had this year - if anyone missed it, he's remarried, to actress Michelle Williams - I wonder what the next ME album has in store.)

Return to “EOY 2018”