EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

charliepanayi
Different Class
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 am

Albums

https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/opini ... ms-of-2018

50. JPEGMAFIA – Veteran
49. Her's – Invitation to Her's
48. Porches – The House
47. Shame - Songs of Praise
46. Tomberlin - At Weddings
45. U.S. Girls – In a Poem Unlimited
44. Amanda Shires – To the Sunset
43. Low - Double Negative
42. Swearin' – Fall Into the Sun
41. Against All Logic – 2012-2017
40. Skee Mask – Compro
39. Superorganism – Superorganism
38. Phosphorescent - C'est La Vie
37. Iceage – Beyondless
36. Black Peaks – All That Divides
35. Snail Mail - Lush
34. Fatherson – Sum of All Your Parts
33. Khruangbin – Con Todo El Mundo
32. Amen Dunes - Freedom
31. Marie Davidson – Working Class Woman
30. Mastersystem – Dance Music
29. Mount Eerie – Now Only
28. Natalie Prass – The Future and the Past
27. Half Waif – Lavender
26. SOPHIE - Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides
25. Martha Ffion – Sunday Best
24. Virginia Wing – Ecstatic Arrow
23. Hop Along – Bark Your Head Off, Dog
22. Kali Uchis – Isolation
21. Jon Hopkins – Singularity
20. Noname – Room 25
19. Christine and the Queens - Chris
18. Nao - Saturn
17. Confidence Man – Confident Music for Confident People
16. Slaves – Acts of Fear and Love
15. Wye Oak – The Louder I Call the Faster it Runs
14. Dream Wife – Dream Wife
13. Blood Orange - Negro Swan
12. Beach House - 7
11. Kathryn Joseph – From When I Wake the Want Is
10. Nils Frahm - All Melody
9. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy
8. Courtney Barnett - Tell Me How You Really Feel
7. Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
6. Aidan Moffat and RM Hubbert - Here Lies the Body
5. Robyn - Honey
4. IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance
3. Mitski - Be the Cowboy
2. Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
1. Young Fathers - Cocoa Sugar
Last edited by charliepanayi on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:38 pm

charliepanayi wrote:9. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy


First appearance on an eligible list so far for this - it's way too early to look for trends, but I was starting to wonder whether the album (one of the highest-ranked 2018 albums on both RYM and Best Ever Albums, in addition to its high Mega-Critic rank here) might suffer in the EOY lists for being a re-recording of previously issued material. Again, too early to tell, but it's good to see it finally show up.

charliepanayi
Different Class
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:44 pm

Harold wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:9. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy


First appearance on an eligible list so far for this - it's way too early to look for trends, but I was starting to wonder whether the album (one of the highest-ranked 2018 albums on both RYM and Best Ever Albums, in addition to its high Mega-Critic rank here) might suffer in the EOY lists for being a re-recording of previously issued material. Again, too early to tell, but it's good to see it finally show up.


Also coming out all the way back in February.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:58 pm

charliepanayi wrote:
Harold wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:9. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy


First appearance on an eligible list so far for this - it's way too early to look for trends, but I was starting to wonder whether the album (one of the highest-ranked 2018 albums on both RYM and Best Ever Albums, in addition to its high Mega-Critic rank here) might suffer in the EOY lists for being a re-recording of previously issued material. Again, too early to tell, but it's good to see it finally show up.


Also coming out all the way back in February.


That shouldn't really have any impact. Back in 2009, Merriweather Post Pavilion was released in January, and it thoroughly dominated the EOY lists.

charliepanayi
Different Class
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:13 pm

I never said it was something that affected ALL albums (there are always exceptions, especially phenomenons like Blackstar and Merriweather), but I have noticed that many albums coming out in January/February often suffer a bit in end of year lists

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 5061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Henrik » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Harold wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:9. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy


First appearance on an eligible list so far for this - it's way too early to look for trends, but I was starting to wonder whether the album (one of the highest-ranked 2018 albums on both RYM and Best Ever Albums, in addition to its high Mega-Critic rank here) might suffer in the EOY lists for being a re-recording of previously issued material. Again, too early to tell, but it's good to see it finally show up.

I just hope it will be possible to sort out which recording the critics will refer to in their end of decade lists.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Henrik wrote:I just hope it will be possible to sort out which [version of Twin Fantasy the critics will refer to in their end of decade lists.


It wouldn't surprise me to see both listed as a single entry, more often than not.

User avatar
Matski
Different Class
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Matski » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:08 pm

With any luck, they'll be thoughful enough to post a date alongside and/or give the full title.

discord
Strange Fruit
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby discord » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:34 pm

I think the fact most of the tracks are over-long detracts from the listening experience.

User avatar
JohnnyBGoode
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 am

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby JohnnyBGoode » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Beach Life-in-Death finishes too soon ...

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:14 pm

#1 yet to be revealed as I write this. I have a feeling what it might be, and I continue to be surprised. The album had a somewhat CHILLY reception upon release, but now that it's EOY time everyone seems to be over THE MOON about it.

(If #1 turns out to be something else the above is going to look even sillier than it already is...)

User avatar
JohnnyBGoode
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 am

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby JohnnyBGoode » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:31 pm

Harold wrote:#1 yet to be revealed as I write this. I have a feeling what it might be, and I continue to be surprised. The album had a somewhat CHILLY reception upon release, but now that it's EOY time everyone seems to be over THE MOON about it.

(If #1 turns out to be something else the above is going to look even sillier than it already is...)


Maybe being a bit slow, but can't actually work out what album you're referring to but their top 3 in July was

3) Parquet Courts – Wide Awake!
2) Hookworms – Microshift
1) Young Fathers – Cocoa Sugar

presume #2 has disappeared completely for obvious reasons, leaving #1, plus they're Scottish.

https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/opini ... 018-so-far

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:35 pm

JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Harold wrote:#1 yet to be revealed as I write this. I have a feeling what it might be, and I continue to be surprised. The album had a somewhat CHILLY reception upon release, but now that it's EOY time everyone seems to be over THE MOON about it.


Maybe being a bit slow, but can't actually work out what album you're referring to


Arctic Monkeys, Tranquility Base...

1) Young Fathers – Cocoa Sugar


Yeah, that would make sense. It would be a good choice, too. Their best album so far.

User avatar
JohnnyBGoode
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 am

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby JohnnyBGoode » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:45 pm

Harold wrote:
JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Harold wrote:#1 yet to be revealed as I write this. I have a feeling what it might be, and I continue to be surprised. The album had a somewhat CHILLY reception upon release, but now that it's EOY time everyone seems to be over THE MOON about it.


Maybe being a bit slow, but can't actually work out what album you're referring to


Arctic Monkeys, Tranquility Base...


That's what I thought, but wasn't aware of the moon connection until just there now. Actually also separately started to listen to it properly for the 1st time, having been put off by the initial chilly reception...

User avatar
JohnnyBGoode
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 am

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby JohnnyBGoode » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:05 pm


Jackson
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Jackson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:46 am

It sucks that The Skinny gave Fucked Up's Dose Your Dreams five stars but it didn't show up here. I haven't seen it any YE lists so far, sadly.

Jackson
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Jackson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:48 am

JohnnyBGoode wrote:
presume #2 has disappeared completely for obvious reasons, leaving #1, plus they're Scottish.



What are the "obvious reasons" that Hookworms would have dropped off? Was there a scandal I missed?

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:47 am

Jackson wrote:
JohnnyBGoode wrote:
presume #2 has disappeared completely for obvious reasons, leaving #1, plus they're Scottish.



What are the "obvious reasons" that Hookworms would have dropped off? Was there a scandal I missed?


They broke up last month after their lead singer was accused by multiple women of sexual and emotional abuse.

Jackson
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Jackson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:32 am

Harold wrote:
Jackson wrote:
JohnnyBGoode wrote:
presume #2 has disappeared completely for obvious reasons, leaving #1, plus they're Scottish.



What are the "obvious reasons" that Hookworms would have dropped off? Was there a scandal I missed?


They broke up last month after their lead singer was accused by multiple women of sexual and emotional abuse.


That'll do it!

User avatar
JohnnyBGoode
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 571
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 am

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby JohnnyBGoode » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:27 am

Jackson wrote:It sucks that The Skinny gave Fucked Up's Dose Your Dreams five stars but it didn't show up here. I haven't seen it any YE lists so far, sadly.


They gave out (at least) 38 top marks according to AOTY, but even if they hadn't, reviews are only 1 person, eligible lists need to be at least 3 different people, not to mention reviews are at time of release, Y.E. lists allow for 'growers'.

User avatar
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:12 pm

JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Jackson wrote:It sucks that The Skinny gave Fucked Up's Dose Your Dreams five stars but it didn't show up here. I haven't seen it any YE lists so far, sadly.


They gave out (at least) 38 top marks according to AOTY, but even if they hadn't, reviews are only 1 person, eligible lists need to be at least 3 different people, not to mention reviews are at time of release, Y.E. lists allow for 'growers'.


Yes, but I was always afraid that this great punk/ hard rock output of this year would not be reflected on the End of Year lists because it doesn't fit the current music narrative around poptimism and hiphop of many publications. Could still be wrong of course.

charliepanayi
Different Class
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Rob wrote:
JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Jackson wrote:It sucks that The Skinny gave Fucked Up's Dose Your Dreams five stars but it didn't show up here. I haven't seen it any YE lists so far, sadly.


They gave out (at least) 38 top marks according to AOTY, but even if they hadn't, reviews are only 1 person, eligible lists need to be at least 3 different people, not to mention reviews are at time of release, Y.E. lists allow for 'growers'.


Yes, but I was always afraid that this great punk/ hard rock output of this year would not be reflected on the End of Year lists because it doesn't fit the current music narrative around poptimism and hiphop of many publications. Could still be wrong of course.


They do have Parquet Courts and Idles in their top five here

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:03 pm

charliepanayi wrote:
Rob wrote:Yes, but I was always afraid that this great punk/ hard rock output of this year would not be reflected on the End of Year lists because it doesn't fit the current music narrative around poptimism and hiphop of many publications. Could still be wrong of course.


They do have Parquet Courts and Idles in their top five here


And those two albums (my two favorites of the year, actually) are already doing quite well overall and will no doubt continue to do so (I fully expect Wide Awake! to be a top three album on the USA lists, at least).

Jackson
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Jackson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:04 pm

charliepanayi wrote:
Rob wrote:
JohnnyBGoode wrote:
They gave out (at least) 38 top marks according to AOTY, but even if they hadn't, reviews are only 1 person, eligible lists need to be at least 3 different people, not to mention reviews are at time of release, Y.E. lists allow for 'growers'.


Yes, but I was always afraid that this great punk/ hard rock output of this year would not be reflected on the End of Year lists because it doesn't fit the current music narrative around poptimism and hiphop of many publications. Could still be wrong of course.


They do have Parquet Courts and Idles in their top five here


I love those albums too. 2/3 isn't bad. It just seems like Dose Your Dreams isn't catching on with critics like David Comes to Life did despite similarly positive reviews - maybe when more U.S./Canada lists start rolling in, that will change.

User avatar
jade.palooka
Strange Fruit
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby jade.palooka » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:24 pm

Jackson wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:
Rob wrote:
Yes, but I was always afraid that this great punk/ hard rock output of this year would not be reflected on the End of Year lists because it doesn't fit the current music narrative around poptimism and hiphop of many publications. Could still be wrong of course.


They do have Parquet Courts and Idles in their top five here


I love those albums too. 2/3 isn't bad. It just seems like Dose Your Dreams isn't catching on with critics like David Comes to Life did despite similarly positive reviews - maybe when more U.S./Canada lists start rolling in, that will change.


I'm convinced it will.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Not sure why they're waiting so long to post the rest of their list. Last year their top 50 was up within a day after they finished unveiling the top 10.

charliepanayi
Different Class
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:35 pm

They've probably just left doing it until Monday this time. Or maybe they forgot before they left for the weekend!

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Harold wrote:Not sure why they're waiting so long to post the rest of their list. Last year their top 50 was up within a day after they finished unveiling the top 10.


I have to admit that this delay is really bugging the crap out of me. I realize that in the larger scheme of things a website being lax in posting a top albums list is an extremely minor concern, but stuff like this happens a lot and it bothers me.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:11 pm

charliepanayi wrote:Albums (ongoing)

https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/opini ... f-the-year

10. Nils Frahm - All Melody
9. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy
8. Courtney Barnett - Tell Me How You Really Feel
7. Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
6. Aidan Moffat and RM Hubbert - Here Lies the Body
5. Robyn - Honey
4. IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance
3. Mitski - Be the Cowboy
2. Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
1. Young Fathers - Cocoa Sugar


Charlie, the top 50 is finally up! Transcription when you can get to it - thanks!

charliepanayi
Different Class
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Done! Thanks

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - The Skinny (UK)

Postby Harold » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:36 pm

First appearance for Mount Eerie's Now Only, a bit of a surprise considering how well-received it was when it came out (not to mention the reception for its predecessor). I wonder if the album suffered from what we might call "grief fatigue," given how similar it is to A Crow.... (Given the upturn Phil Elverum's life has had this year - if anyone missed it, he's remarried, to actress Michelle Williams - I wonder what the next ME album has in store.)


Return to “EOY 2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests