EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post Reply
charliepanayi
Different Class
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by charliepanayi » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Albums (taken from the magazine I bought today)

75. Gorillaz - The Now Now
74. Candi Staton - Unstoppable
73. Jack White - Boarding House Reach
72. Hailu Mergia - Lala Belu
71. Shame - Songs of Praise
70. Neil Young & Promise of the Real - The Visitor
69. Jungle - For Ever
68. Johnny Marr - Call the Comet
67. Willie Nelson - Last Man Standing
66. Lump - Lump
65. Bjork - Utopia (2017)
64. Jim James - Uniform Distortion
63. Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile
62. Mitski - Be the Cowboy
61. Jon Hopkins - Singularity
60. Jon Hassell - Listening to Pictues (Pentimento Volume One)
59. Cedric Burnside - Benton County Relic
58. Laura Veirs - The Lookout
57. John Grant - Love is Magic
56. Swamp Dogg - Love, Loss and Auto-Tune
55. Mudhoney - Digital Garbage
54. Go-Kart Mozart - Mozart's Mini-Mart
53. Courtney Marie Andrews - May Your Kindness Remain
52. Confidence Man - Confident Music for Confident People
51. Belle and Sebastian - How to Solve Our Human Problems
50. Hookworms - Microshift
49. Villagers - The Art of Pretending to Swim
48. Phosphorescent - C'est La Vie
47. Imarhan - Temet
46. Binker & Moses - Alive in the East?
45. Wye Oak - The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs
44. Yo La Tengo - There's a Riot Going On
43. Chris Carter - Chris Carter's Chemistry Lessons Volume 1
42. Prince - Piano & A Microphone 1983
41. Richard Thompson - 13 Rivers
40. Maisha - There is a Place
39. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Sparkle Hard
38. Ty Segall - Freedom's Goblin
37. The Goon Sax - We're Not Talking
36. Sleep - The Sciences
35. Suede - The Blue Hour
34. Insecure Men - Insecure Men
33. Ry Cooder - The Prodigal Son
32. Gruff Rhys - Babelsberg
31. Anna Calvi - Hunter
30. Khruangbin - Con Todo El Mundo
29. Gwenno - Le Kov
28. Eleanor Friedberger - Rebound
27. Paul McCartney - Egypt Station
26. Elvis Costello - Look Now
25. Cat Power - Wanderer
24. Oh Sees - Smote Reverser
23. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
22. Field Music - Open Here
21. Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
20. Let's Eat Grandma - I'm All Ears
19. Low - Double Negative
18. Young Fathers - Cocoa Sugar
17. Gaz Coombes - World's Strongest Man
16. Cypress Hill - Elephants on Acid
15. Tracey Thorn - Record
14. Paul Weller - True Meanings
13. Kurt Vile - Bottle It In
12. Pusha-T - Daytona
11. Fatoumata Diawara - Fenfo
10. Breeders - All Nerve
9. Spiritualized - And Nothing Hurt
8. Courtney Barnett - Tell Me How You Really Feel
7. Ryley Walker - Deafman Glance
6. Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance
5. Christine and the Queens - Chris
4. Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
3. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Hope Downs
2. Arctic Monkeys - Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino
1. Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth

hectorthebat
Let's Get It On
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by hectorthebat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:41 pm

5 lists so far, all with different number ones! Interesting...

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1940
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by Harold » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:15 pm

hectorthebat wrote:5 lists so far, all with different number ones! Interesting...
There definitely has not been one album that's dominated the year the way there has been the last three years (DAMN., Blackstar, and To Pimp a Butterfly). Unless something starts to leap away from the pack - the only potential candidate I can think of is Dirty Computer - the spreadsheet could end up being very interesting (not that it isn't always interesting, but the toppermost-of-the-poppermost is usually pretty anticlimactic).

charliepanayi
Different Class
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by charliepanayi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:14 pm

Yeah, there's nothing that looks set to totally dominate this year.

User avatar
SpankyRevolution
Are You Experienced?
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:34 am

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by SpankyRevolution » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:20 pm

I think it'll be interesting to see where TBH&C ends up. It seemed to have quite polarizing reviews which I feel can help. If half of the publications think it was really great and half hated it, it still means it'll find its way on a lot of lists unlike, say, another album that everyone agreed was like 7/10.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1940
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by Harold » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:38 pm

SpankyRevolution wrote:I think it'll be interesting to see where TBH&C ends up. It seemed to have quite polarizing reviews which I feel can help. If half of the publications think it was really great and half hated it, it still means it'll find its way on a lot of lists unlike, say, another album that everyone agreed was like 7/10.
Took me a second to figure out this was Tranquility Base Hotel + Casino. I think it's going to be one of those albums that received a somewhat lukewarm response on initial release but ends up with a high ranking on the EOY spreadsheet, kind of like most of Lana Del Rey's albums, or a couple of Kanye's - or, for that matter, most of Arctic Monkeys' own other albums besides the debut and AM.

User avatar
JohnnyBGoode
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 am

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by JohnnyBGoode » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever the big surprise so far. I loved French Press, thought the album was good, but had to go back & listen to it again. Certainly risen in my list to edge of top 10.

User avatar
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2470
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by Rob » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:32 am

Harold wrote:
SpankyRevolution wrote:I think it'll be interesting to see where TBH&C ends up. It seemed to have quite polarizing reviews which I feel can help. If half of the publications think it was really great and half hated it, it still means it'll find its way on a lot of lists unlike, say, another album that everyone agreed was like 7/10.
Took me a second to figure out this was Tranquility Base Hotel + Casino. I think it's going to be one of those albums that received a somewhat lukewarm response on initial release but ends up with a high ranking on the EOY spreadsheet, kind of like most of Lana Del Rey's albums, or a couple of Kanye's - or, for that matter, most of Arctic Monkeys' own other albums besides the debut and AM.
Jack White might pull of something similar this year, too.

Future Critic
Let's Get It On
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:04 am

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by Future Critic » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:05 pm

Anyone else surprised that Robyn missed the cut for both Mojo and Uncut?

charliepanayi
Different Class
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by charliepanayi » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Future Critic wrote:Anyone else surprised that Robyn missed the cut for both Mojo and Uncut?
Not really, looks like neither has even reviewed it.

discord
Strange Fruit
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by discord » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:04 pm

Anyone putting the Arctic Monkeys anywhere near the top 10 needs their head examined.

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: EOY 2018 - Mojo (UK)

Post by Nick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:21 am

discord wrote:Anyone putting the Arctic Monkeys anywhere near the top 10 needs their head examined.
Respectfully disagree! I love me some lounge-pop Bowie-esque concept album about a lunar hotel/casino. But I get that it's a super hard sell.

Post Reply