Rank the Tracks: The Cure's Disintegration (1989)

Honorio
Higher Ground

Rank the Tracks: The Cure's Disintegration (1989)

Post by Honorio »

Rank the Tracks faces its own disintegration in a mere two weeks…

The Cure's "Disintegration" (1989)

Tracklisting:
01 | Plainsong
02 | Pictures of You
03 | Closedown
04 | Lovesong
05 | Last Dance
06 | Lullaby
07 | Fascination Street
08 | Prayers for Rain
09 | The Same Deep Water as You
10 | Disintegration
11 | Homesick
12 | Untitled

Note: I've decided to include tracks 5 and 11 despite not being included on the original vinyl release because they were included on the original CD releases.

And on the last week of Rank the Tracks we will have the more than probable winner of our incoming Women Artists Poll…
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Re: Rank the Tracks: The Cure's Disintegration (1989)

Post by bonnielaurel »

02 | Pictures of You
03 | Closedown
07 | Fascination Street
10 | Disintegration
01 | Plainsong
08 | Prayers for Rain
04 | Lovesong
05 | Last Dance
06 | Lullaby
12 | Untitled
11 | Homesick
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

"Dropping through sky, through the glass of the roof, through the roof of your mouth, through the mouth of your eye, through the eye of the needle."

01 | Lovesong
02 | Pictures of You
03 | Disintegration
04 | Fascination Street
05 | Prayers for Rain
06 | Last Dance
07 | Lullaby
08 | Untitled
10 | Closedown
11 | Homesick
12 | Plainsong
There is No More Firmament.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

The reasons this album are great are pretty clear-cut. Amazing grooves, emotive vocals, an atmosphere that soothes and bathes the soul. I think the musicians performing the music manage to convey their humanity, making this cold-on-paper album sound warm and comforting.

02 | Pictures of You
01 | Plainsong
06 | Lullaby
04 | Lovesong
08 | Prayers for Rain
10 | Disintegration
11 | Homesick
07 | Fascination Street
03 | Closedown
05 | Last Dance
12 | Untitled
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

06 | Lullaby
02 | Pictures of You
04 | Lovesong
01 | Plainsong
07 | Fascination Street
10 | Disintegration
11 | Homesick
03 | Closedown
08 | Prayers for Rain
12 | Untitled
05 | Last Dance

In my opinion, a case of an album whose vinyl version is better than the (extended) CD version, the two extra songs clearly overstays the album's welcome.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Honorio wrote:In my opinion, a case of an album whose vinyl version is better than the (extended) CD version, the two extra songs clearly overstays the album's welcome.
Certainly not for me. I've been holding off on rating this album because it has meant more to my life than any other, being the album I listened to incessantly the summer of my graduation. To me, no other song reminds me more of that feeling of fear, anxiety, hope and longing than "Homesick." It is so incredibly layered and builds in sad intensity, leading up to Robert Smith's languishing in the form of a simple but potent chorus. We all miss people, places and times in our lives and "inspire in me the desire in me to never go home" seems a plea to someone, anyone to pull him from the emptiness and nostalgia overwhelming him, some place or time to which he wishes he could return.

Then again, this might just be the ramblings of a long-lost teen associating a little to strongly to a certain song from his youth. ;)
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

11 | Homesick*
09 | The Same Deep Water as You*
04 | Lovesong*
07 | Fascination Street*
05 | Last Dance*
10 | Disintegration*
08 | Prayers for Rain*
06 | Lullaby
02 | Pictures of You
01 | Plainsong
03 | Closedown
12 | Untitled

Personal favorites *
Overall album rating: 10 (Perhaps the all-time favorite.)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

jamieW wrote:Certainly not for me. I've been holding off on rating this album because it has meant more to my life than any other, being the album I listened to incessantly the summer of my graduation. To me, no other song reminds me more of that feeling of fear, anxiety, hope and longing than "Homesick." It is so incredibly layered and builds in sad intensity, leading up to Robert Smith's languishing in the form of a simple but potent chorus. We all miss people, places and times in our lives and "inspire in me the desire in me to never go home" seems a plea to someone, anyone to pull him from the emptiness and nostalgia overwhelming him, some place or time to which he wishes he could return.

Then again, this might just be the ramblings of a long-lost teen associating a little to strongly to a certain song from his youth. ;)
Just listened again to "Homesick" and I agree that the song is great, it should have closed the vinyl album instead "Untitled." Maybe our age difference is the reason for the different connection with the song. The Cure were very important on my teenage years too, I bought "Faith" in 1981 (when I was sixteen) and it changed my life, the bleakness of the album connected strongly with me at the time. It ignited a goth period for me and I became an avid fan of The Cure, I purchased many of their releases (including now rare 12" like "The Walk"). My affection for them peaked with "The Head on the Door" (my favourite album by them) but began to vanish with the double album "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" (too long, uneven and disperse). When "Disintegration" came out my first reaction was positive (wow, "Plainsong" sound like "The Funeral Party" from "Faith"!) but I failed to connect with the album on the same level that I did with previous albums. I don't know why, maybe I saw the album as a step back to previous and familiar sounds. I don't think like that right now, this coming back to their goth roots was the right move, giving them strength and focus, being moreover a sincere and not commercial move (oddly achieving both their highest charting and their more acclaimed album). Maybe the reason for my lack of connection was the length of the album and the long instrumental passages on some songs (I still think like that, this motivated my comment about the vinyl and CD versions) but maybe at the time (24 years old then) it was time for me to move away from The Cure and look for another favourite bands...
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Honorio wrote:
jamieW wrote:Certainly not for me. I've been holding off on rating this album because it has meant more to my life than any other, being the album I listened to incessantly the summer of my graduation. To me, no other song reminds me more of that feeling of fear, anxiety, hope and longing than "Homesick." It is so incredibly layered and builds in sad intensity, leading up to Robert Smith's languishing in the form of a simple but potent chorus. We all miss people, places and times in our lives and "inspire in me the desire in me to never go home" seems a plea to someone, anyone to pull him from the emptiness and nostalgia overwhelming him, some place or time to which he wishes he could return.

Just listened again to "Homesick" and I agree that the song is great, it should have closed the vinyl album instead "Untitled." Maybe our age difference is the reason for the different connection with the song. The Cure were very important on my teenage years too, I bought "Faith" in 1981 (when I was sixteen) and it changed my life, the bleakness of the album connected strongly with me at the time. It ignited a goth period for me and I became an avid fan of The Cure, I purchased many of their releases (including now rare 12" like "The Walk"). My affection for them peaked with "The Head on the Door" (my favourite album by them) but began to vanish with the double album "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" (too long, uneven and disperse). When "Disintegration" came out my first reaction was positive (wow, "Plainsong" sound like "The Funeral Party" from "Faith"!) but I failed to connect with the album on the same level that I did with previous albums. I don't know why, maybe I saw the album as a step back to previous and familiar sounds. I don't think like that right now, this coming back to their goth roots was the right move, giving them strength and focus, being moreover a sincere and not commercial move (oddly achieving both their highest charting and their more acclaimed album). Maybe the reason for my lack of connection was the length of the album and the long instrumental passages on some songs (I still think like that, this motivated my comment about the vinyl and CD versions) but maybe at the time (24 years old then) it was time for me to move away from The Cure and look for another favourite bands...
Thanks, Honorio, for both the response and for giving "Homesick" another listen. Yes, you're right about everything - "The Head on the Door" was actually the first Cure album that I heard, so "Disintegration" was the peak for me (much the way "The Head on the Door" was for you). I then went back and listened to all their earlier albums (which I also loved). I've always just sat back and immersed myself in those long instrumental passages, but you're certainly not alone in feeling that they're overlong. One of my coworkers borrowed "Wish" from me in the '90's because she liked "High" and "Friday I'm in Love." She ended up returning it to me the next day and telling me she just couldn't get past the instrumental interludes on some songs that felt like they went on forever.

As is the case with many songs I have a personal connection with, there's a trepidation in discovering how others feel about them; which is why I was both excited and fearful to see "Disintegration" ranked - and the main reason was "Homesick." (I didn't consider it a great sign that it wasn't even included on the original LP, so I was really happy to see you include it here.) I also don't typically put a lot of store in what others think of the music I like, but the two exceptions would be the people on this forum and musicians (and you're both!). In your past reviews, you've pointed out to me a number of things about a particular song/artist that I'd never considered before. In this case, I figured I might just be reading attributes into the song that didn't really exist. (Hence, my disclaimer at the end of my review.) The good news is that I think this might be the first step to getting me to finally (after six years) nominate some songs and albums for the forum games. "Homesick" means as much to me as just about any song, and isn't doing particularly well in RTT, yet I seem to be surviving it quite well! :D
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

After listening on repeat "Homesick" I've pushed up it two positions on my list. It's really a great song. I read on the Internet that it was the last creative input by Lol Tolhurst (the first-drummer-then-keyboard-player and founding member of The Cure) before leaving the band after the sessions for "Disintegration." I don't know but maybe the Tolhurst contribution was the splendid piano part that opens the song (a piano-ballad-type arrangement quite unusual for The Cure).

Results after the first week of voting:

01 | Pictures of You | 3,0 points
02 | Lovesong | 3,8 points
03 | Fascination Street | 4,8 points
04 | Disintegration | 5,2 points
05 | Lullaby | 5,8 points
06 | Plainsong | 6,6 points
07 | The Same Deep Water as You | 6,6 points
08 | Prayers for Rain | 6,6 points
09 | Homesick | 7,8 points
10 | Closedown | 8,4 points
11 | Last Dance | 8,6 points
12 | Untitled | 10,8 points
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Honorio wrote:After listening on repeat "Homesick" I've pushed up it two positions on my list. It's really a great song. I read on the Internet that it was the last creative input by Lol Tolhurst (the first-drummer-then-keyboard-player and founding member of The Cure) before leaving the band after the sessions for "Disintegration." I don't know but maybe the Tolhurst contribution was the splendid piano part that opens the song (a piano-ballad-type arrangement quite unusual for The Cure).
Great information - I never knew that. I think you're correct about the credit being because Tolhurst was the creative force behind that haunting piano part, since he was the keyboardist at the time and I don't think he ever actually played on the record itself. Lol was sure missed after he left (though I think he did reunite with the band for some live shows about a decade later). Thanks again, Honorio!
talking
The Only Way Is Up

Post by talking »

1. Plainsong*
2. Prayers for Rain
3. Pictures of You
4. Disintegration
5. Closedown
6. Untitled
7. Lovesong
8. Lullaby
9. Same Deep Water As You
10. Homesick
11. Fascination Street
12. Last Dance

*Among my favorite songs of all time.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

6 | Lullaby
4 | Lovesong
1 | Plainsong
2 | Pictures of You
7 | Fascination Street
10 | Disintegration
8 | Prayers for Rain
9 | The Same Deep Water as You
3 | Closedown
11 | Homesick
5 | Last Dance
12 | Untitled
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

04 | Lovesong
07 | Fascination Street
01 | Plainsong
06 | Lullaby
08 | Prayers for Rain
02 | Pictures of You
12 | Untitled
10 | Disintegration
03 | Closedown
05 | Last Dance
11 | Homesick

Amazing album.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

How I love the guitar sound of the Cure!

Great:
06 | Lullaby
04 | Lovesong
05 | Last Dance
12 | Untitled

Good:
02 | Pictures of You
01 | Plainsong
10 | Disintegration
08 | Prayers for Rain
11 | Homesick
07 | Fascination Street
03 | Closedown

OK:
Not for me:
fasbjd
Wannabe

Post by fasbjd »

Another front to back stunner:

01 | Lovesong
02 | Lullaby
03 | Fascination Street
04 | Pictures of You
05 | Disintegration
06 | Last Dance
07 | Untitled
08 | The Same Deep Water as You
09 | Prayers for Rain
10 | Plainsong
11 | Homesick
12 | Closedown
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

02 | Pictures of You
06 | Lullaby
04 | Lovesong
12 | Untitled
01 | Plainsong
08 | Prayers for Rain
07 | Fascination Street
03 | Closedown
05 | Last Dance
10 | Disintegration
11 | Homesick
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

07| Fascination Street
02| Pictures of You
09| The Same Deep Water As You
12| Untitled
04| Lovesong
08| Prayers for Rain
06| Lullaby
11| Homesick
03| Closedown
01| Plainsong
05| Last Dance
10| Disintegration
Last edited by mileswide on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
All I got inside is vacancy!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Sorry, mileswide, you forgot "Plainsong."
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Same job half-done as ever, sorry Honorio- I've edited it now though...
All I got inside is vacancy!
ArcadeFire
Wannabe

Post by ArcadeFire »

01 | Pictures of You
02 | Lovesong
03 |Lullaby
04 |Fascination Street
05 | Disintegration
06 | Closedown
07 | Homesick
08 | Last Dance
09 | Plainsong
10 | Prayers for Rain
11 | The Same Deep Water as You
12 | Untitled
ShepBranson
Superunknown

Post by ShepBranson »

1-.Pictures of You
2-.Lovesong
3-.Lullaby
4-.Fascination Street
5-.Untitled
6-.Prayers for Rain
7-.Plainsong
8-.Last Dance
9-.Homesick
10-.Closedown
11-.Disintegration
12-.The Same Deep Water as You
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

02 | Pictures of You
04 | Lovesong
08 | Prayers for Rain
05 | Last Dance
03 | Closedown
06 | Lullaby
01 | Plainsong
07 | Fascination Street
12 | Untitled
10 | Disintegration
11 | Homesick

This is a great album. No bad songs on it.

Return to “Rank the tracks”