Best Moderately Acclaimed Album of 2020 - Voting

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Best Moderately Acclaimed Album of 2020 - Voting

Post by Jirin »

Here's the list of nominations for Best Moderately Acclaimed Album of 2020. You'll have until the end of January to listen to as many albums as possible and rank the ones you managed to listen to from best to worst:

Jirin: Georgia Anne Muldrow - Mana You Can Bet!
Bang Jan: Gard Nilssen’s Supersonic Orchestra - If You Listen Carefully The Music Is Yours
Brad: Arboretum - Let It All In
acroamor - Dogleg - Melee
Holden - Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar
Jackson: Actress - Karma & Desire
Wisnu Tirta Aji: Nadin Amizah - Selamat Ulang Tahun
rumpdoll: Melkbelly - PITH
Gillingham: Slift - Ummon
Romain: Calibro 35 - Momentum
Edre Peraza: The 1975 - Notes On A Conditional Form
Arsalan - Declan McKenna - Zeros
mileswide: Moor Mother - Circuit City
rdwdbob: The Aces - Under My Influence
bonnielaurel: Gosta Berlings Saga - Konkret Music
votingbloc: Boniface - Boniface
bootsy: Victoria Monét - Jaguar
starchman46:Various Artists - Live At The Windmill
TheLastEnemy: iLiKeTRAiNS - Kompromat
Madzong: The Beths - Jump Rope Gazers
Rob: Eefje de Visser - Bitterzoet
spiritualized: Kvelertak - Splid
Nassim: Ths Is The Kit - Off Off On
Schuttelbirne: Été Large - When The Birds Upraise Their Choir
sonofsamiam: Clarice Jensen - The Experience of Repetition as Death
DaveC: Ichiko Aoba - アダンの風 (Adan no kaze)

The results will be determined based on a win-loss formula, matching every album against every other album on the lists that include both of them, and the winner will gain automatic entry to next year's Best Moderately Acclaimed Album.

Lists should be PMed to me. Deadline is not strict, but if you need more time you need to ask for it.
Last edited by Jirin on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Best Moderately Acclaimed Album of 2020 - Voting

Post by Rob »

I've looked up all the albums on Spotify and all of them are on there (at least around here), except Various Artists - Live at the Windmill. It is on Bandcamp, as it is an album made for a fundraiser: https://windmillbrixton.bandcamp.com/al ... e-windmill

However, the song by Shame isn't playable there. There are some versions of their Tasteless played live at the Windmill on YouTube. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgasugM ... =Daaave%21
Can Starchman46 confirm if this version (or any other on YouTube) is correct?
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I expect The Beths, Dogleg, and Ichiko Aoba to be the top contenders here.

Not that this matters but I'm not credited above for nominating the Actress album.
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Just randomly picked my first album to listen to and Calibro 35 - Momentum is already better then last years complete selection. Good that I didn't submit my year end lists yet
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

rumpdoll wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:27 am Just randomly picked my first album to listen to and Calibro 35 - Momentum is already better then last years complete selection. Good that I didn't submit my year end lists yet
I'm really happy you like this album. it was a great discovery for me.
In this album alone there are at least two songs (Stan Lee and Black Moon) that should have been in the top 20 songs of the year for me. :music-rockon:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Jackson wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:35 am I expect The Beths, Dogleg, and Ichiko Aoba to be the top contenders here.

Not that this matters but I'm not credited above for nominating the Actress album.
Fixed the two missing names.

So far, Nadin Amizah and Slift are great discoveries.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Out of curiosity, has anyone been converted from their original pick yet? Found one of these that is better than your own entry? I’ve only listened to seven so far, but I will say that Let It All In is pretty close to being above Mystic Familiar in my list.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Holden wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:50 pm Out of curiosity, has anyone been converted from their original pick yet? Found one of these that is better than your own entry? I’ve only listened to seven so far, but I will say that Let It All In is pretty close to being above Mystic Familiar in my list.
Nope but PITH could make a late bid for my top 100 of 2020 once I've had another listen or so!
All I got inside is vacancy!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Holden wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:50 pm Out of curiosity, has anyone been converted from their original pick yet? Found one of these that is better than your own entry? I’ve only listened to seven so far, but I will say that Let It All In is pretty close to being above Mystic Familiar in my list.
Not yet, but in the six editions I played this I found a better one than my nominations no less than five times! I also need to hear 17 of these still, so there is still enough of a chance. Slift and Actress came close.

Speaking of Actress, is this album close in sound to his earlier work? I never heard his albums before, but I know he has some fans here and I really liked this one.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Also, unless I’m mistake , the album is “Mama, You Can Bet!” and is credited to Jyoti
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

I already knew from the start that my nomination wouldn't be my number #1 because Gard Nilssen was nominated by someone else (which makes me enormously glad). I do believe he could win this, because I don't see how anyone can dislike that album. If it isn't him, it's probably Aoba.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Rob wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:50 pm Speaking of Actress, is this album close in sound to his earlier work? I never heard his albums before, but I know he has some fans here and I really liked this one.
His debut Splazsh is kind of similar, only 'wonkier' and without much piano. The follow-up RIP drifted further from the sparseness on Karma & Desire imo, so it might not be what you're looking for. Too Many Voices by Andy Stott might be up your street; it covers the same sort of airy, ambient 'dance music you can't dance to' as K & D and is void of the confrontation of many other Stott projects.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Moor Mother's Circuit City was already my album of the year, and Gard Nilssen's was up there as well, but they were already taken!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

mileswide wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:30 am
Rob wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:50 pm Speaking of Actress, is this album close in sound to his earlier work? I never heard his albums before, but I know he has some fans here and I really liked this one.
His debut Splazsh is kind of similar, only 'wonkier' and without much piano. The follow-up RIP drifted further from the sparseness on Karma & Desire imo, so it might not be what you're looking for. Too Many Voices by Andy Stott might be up your street; it covers the same sort of airy, ambient 'dance music you can't dance to' as K & D and is void of the confrontation of many other Stott projects.
Splazsh is probably his most popular and acclaimed album and would be a good place to start; it has "Maze" which is one of my favorite instrumental electronic songs ever. RIP is my personal favorite, more ambient and abstract than his other albums but striking and emotionally affective to me. All of his albums are quite distinct in creating their own sonic worlds. Karma & Desire is the only one to feature a lot of guest vocalists and is probably his prettiest album, but you should definitely check out at least those other two.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Thought this would be an interesting metric, so here is the list of nominees by their current position in the EOY spreadsheet:

54 | The 1975 | Notes On A Conditional Form
96 | Dogleg | Melee
120 | Actress | Karma & Desire
131 | Eefje de Visser | Bitterzoet
132 | The Beths | Jump Rope Gazers
158 | Declan McKenna | Zeros
181 | Kvelertak | Splid
185 | Jyoti | Mama, You Can Bet!
223 | This Is The Kit | Off Off On
282 | iLiKeTRAiNS | Kompromat
332 | Slift | Ummon
363 | Victoria Monét | Jaguar
400 | Dan Deacon | Mystic Familiar
422 | Ichiko Aoba | アダンの風 (Adan no kaze)
462 | Moor Mother | Circuit City
1008 | Melkbelly | PITH
1455 | Calibro 35 | Momentum
1651 | Gard Nilssen’s Supersonic Orchestra | If You Listen Carefully The Music Is Yours
1846 | Clarice Jensen | The Experience of Repetition as Death
2104 | Boniface | Boniface

Unranked:
Arboretum | Let It All In
Nadin Amizah | Selamat Ulang Tahun
The Aces | Under My Influence
Gosta Berlings Saga | Konkret Music
Various Artists | Live At The Windmill
Été Large | When The Birds Upraise Their Choir
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Moor Mother is another excellent discovery.

About halfway through and I haven’t heard a single one I don’t at least like. My last place album so far is one I’d rate about 77.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

131 | Eefje de Visser | Bitterzoet - this is a very pleasant surprise, and I suppose it's Rob's (but I may be wrong). Although as much as I liked it, I'm currently listening to 2013's "Het Is", which I find superior. However I don't think I would have listened to that one if it weren't for AMF !
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

spiritualized wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:52 pm 131 | Eefje de Visser | Bitterzoet - this is a very pleasant surprise, and I suppose it's Rob's (but I may be wrong). Although as much as I liked it, I'm currently listening to 2013's "Het Is", which I find superior. However I don't think I would have listened to that one if it weren't for AMF !
That is indeed my nomination (as is mentioned on top of this page). Glad you like it! I haven't heard Het Is yet, but I did here the album in between Nachtlicht, which really propelled Eefje de Visser's career (though she is only moderately famous around here). Ik didn't connect to Nachtlicht, but she finally connected with me on Bitterzoet. I should go back to her early work again.

I'm also surprised that it made it all the way up to 131 on the official list, based entirely on Dutch-language publications. There usually aren't enough of these list to really propel a Dutch language album, even an acclaimed one, really high, but it seems that everyone gathered behind Bitterzoet. 131 may not seem that much, but for this type of release it is quite awesome.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Listening to The Aces, I’m surprised it’s completely unranked, this is the exact kind of album the critics have been eating up these last few years. Not to say it’s bad, of course, it reminds me a lot of Future Nostalgia, and will very likely make my Top 100.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

But for its glacial ending, the Gösta Berlings Saga record would be higher in my affections. Thankfully, their Detta har hänt album has no such problems and, if anything, could scarcely be more backloaded. At their best, both are entrancing, invaluable discoveries!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I’m having trouble finding Live At The Windmill on Spotify, any other keywords I can search?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Rob wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:11 am I've looked up all the albums on Spotify and all of them are on there (at least around here), except Various Artists - Live at the Windmill. It is on Bandcamp, as it is an album made for a fundraiser: https://windmillbrixton.bandcamp.com/al ... e-windmill

However, the song by Shame isn't playable there. There are some versions of their Tasteless played live at the Windmill on YouTube. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgasugM ... =Daaave%21
Can Starchman46 confirm if this version (or any other on YouTube) is correct?
See above post by Rob
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

9 albums in and apart from my nomination, two EXCELLENT albums discovered.

The Beths - perfect mix of great vocals and sharp power chords indie rock.
Arbouretum - amazing album ! psychedelic stuff, but not too much to be difficult to follow, the title track is simply awesome.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I investigated Ete Large's album, and mileswide is the only rating of it on RYM!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Holden wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:24 am I investigated Ete Large's album, and mileswide is the only rating of it on RYM!
I think it wasn't even on RYM when I first listened to it, so this poll might have helped in getting it added.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

10 albums in and the one's that are blowing me away are Calibro 35 and Arboretum.

The Beths will most likely land on top of my list. Glad to see the nom from Madzong as I had decided to present The Aces instead feeling that most of you probably hadn't given it a spin.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

That's it, I've gone through all the albums by putting a note on them... I still have to do the second listening to classify those who have the same note.

There's an album that I loved, in addition to my own, which I put very high and four very beautiful discoveries, including, I think, the future winner. A good selection.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Reminder, one more week to vote. If you need extensions you can ask.

Ete Large is really interesting. Almost seems like X Ray Spex meets This Heat but with a brass section.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Jirin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:54 pm Reminder, one more week to vote. If you need extensions you can ask.

Ete Large is really interesting. Almost seems like X Ray Spex meets This Heat but with a brass section.
How many submissions have you gotten so far?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Definitely will need an extension if possible...halfway through it.
But don't delay more than needed, I'll post until the last minute !
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Will have a list on the 31st although it may not be entirely complete
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm also will hand in my list on the last day. I have heard all albums once by now, but want to listen to as many albums as I can twice. You don't have to delay any deadlines for that, however.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Holden wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:07 pm
Jirin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:54 pm Reminder, one more week to vote. If you need extensions you can ask.

How many submissions have you gotten so far?
Five, not including mine which is almost finished. I’ll post a list later tonight when I’m home.

Small note, the Ichiko Aoba album on Spotify is translated in English as “Windswept Adan”.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

My list is forthcoming. Got a few more to listen to. Some really great new discoveries. (Fortunately there were only a couple that really tested my patience to get all the way through. :? )
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The lists I have received so far are from
Schuttelbirne
mileswide
Romain
Holden
bootsy
DaveC
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Like some of the others here, I have a list ready but will keep refining until the end of the week. I think an extension until next Friday would be ideal for me, but not absolutely necessary (though might help spiritualized as well?).

Thanks - some really good (and otherwise) stuff in this mix!
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

My list is out, really good albums this time, only 2-3 I disliked and my cutoff for albums i'll listen to again was at 14.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Whew, got em all in! A bunch of great albums in there. Not as positive on the entire list as some but it was a fun listen.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I now have ballots from:
Schuttelbirne
mileswide
Romain
Holden
bootsy
DaveC
Rdwdbob
rumpdoll
Safetycat
Brad
Rob
Jirin
sonofsamiam

The voting is supposed to close tonight but let me know if anyone needs more time.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I've now gotten ballots from spiritualized and Nassim.

I'll start the tabulation this evening.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

And bonnielaurel's ballot is now also received.

Sorry about my slowness to roll out the votes, I have less time now than I used to, I'll get to it sometime this week.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”