Song List Special #5: Honorio

Honorio
Higher Ground

Song List Special #5: Honorio

Post by Honorio »

So this is my list (many thanks JamieW for allowing me to post my list instead of yours). I wrote an initial all-time list for the first Songs Poll on AM Forum (hosted by sonofsamiam) in 2005 and I did a minor update for the next poll in 2007. It remains unedited since then (despite having three more polls on the Forum on the subject). Looking again at my list I acknowledge that it needs an urgent update and not only in the sense of adding songs released these last 5 years (that were not that interesting after all) but mainly in the sense of adding songs I discovered these last 5 years especially thanks to AM Forum and wonderful polls like the 1900-1949 Song Poll and the World Cup Poll.
Probably you are not going to find many hidden gems on it (except maybe the Spanish songs). The choices were quite obvious but I was not looking for a shock effect, I just wanted to list the song I love. And I really LOVE every song on it.
Here it is anyway. You can find the list in a complete form (including the complete album covers and more complete credits) on Rate Your Music. Hope you like it.

1. BOB DYLAN “Like a Rolling Stone” (1965).
Bruce Springsteen once described the drum hit at the beginning of “Like a Rolling Stone” like the “snare shot that sounded like somebody’d kicked open the door to your mind”. And it’s not a fan exaggeration, this snare shot opened a lot of doors: it introduced folk into rock (and rock into folk), it introduced literature and poetry into pop lyrics and it introduced adulthood complexities into a mostly teenager style.

2. THE BEATLES “Strawberry Fields Forever” (1967).
Nostalgic vignettes of a misty Liverpool dreamed from the sunny Almeria. Lennon turned his childhood memories into a psychedelic trip where “nothing is real” and “living is easy with eyes closed”. Now we know that his infancy was not exactly happy, being abandoned by his parents and evolving hardly from the classroom strangest boy to the working class hero he would become.

3. DAVID BOWIE “Ashes to Ashes” (1980).
Bowie succeeded with “Ashes to Ashes”, a second part better than the first one, “Space Oddity”, turning the heroic Major Tom into a junkie “strung out in heaven’s high, hitting an all-time low”. In Bowie’s own words: “Ashes to Ashes deals about the dissolution of the big dream that had send Major Tom to space; ten years later everything’s turned bitter because there was no reason to send him there the first time”.

4. THE BEACH BOYS “God Only Knows” (1966).
If someone asked me which is my favourite minute of music (although why the hell somebody could ask me that) I would choose for sure the last minute of “God Only Knows”, where the vocal harmonies of the boys from the beach goes intertwining and intertwining forming a spiral that elevates you to heaven.

5. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN “Born to Run” (1975).
The backstreet Romeo and Juliet stories of the previous two albums, the stories about girls that “comb their hair in rear-view mirrors” and boys that “try to look so hard” got here its culmination with Springsteen fighting hard to achieve his more focused and intense effort. Yes, intense is the word. It sounds more like a flood of music overflowing than a band playing.

6. TOM WAITS “In the Neighborhood” (1983).
Waits paints the life in the suburbs with accurate brushstrokes: poverty (“and the newspaper sleeping bags blows down the lane”) lack of opportunities (“and Butch join the Army”), immigration (“there’s a couple Filipino girls gigglin’ by the church”), insecurity (“Sey’s got a pistol on the register side”). The dark side of the American Dream.

7. THE SMITHS “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986).
Love according to Morrissey. Mozzer sings verses of desperate love (“And if a double-decker bus crashes into us / to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die / And if a ten ton truck kills the both of us / to die by your side, the pleasure and the privilege is mine”) wrapped by The Smiths in state of grace, with dreamy orchestral arrangements courtesy of Johnny Marr.

8. MARVIN GAYE “What’s Going On” (1971).
Marvin going from the individual to the universal, from the hard experience of his brother Frankie fighting in Vietnam to all the “far too many” brothers dying (black, white and, yes, yellow too). And to all the people dying and suffering because of war. Then and now. Now still “we’ve got to find a way / to bring some understanding here today”.

9. SEX PISTOLS “Anarchy in the U.K.” (1976).
“Know what I mean? / I wanna be anarchist / Get pissed / Destroooyy”. Crisis. Unemployment. Torn clothes. Hair spiked high. Dyes. Piercings with safety pins. A of anarchy. Swastikas. Pogo. Fast rhythms. Powerful guitars. Distortion. Combative lyrics. Provocation. Scandal. Easy money. Swindle. Excitement. Defiance. Row. Anarchy. Anger. Rage. Fury. Punk.

10. RADIOHEAD “No Surprises” (1997).
Morrissey said in his song “Panic” that we should hang the DJ “because the music that he constantly play it says nothing to me about my life”. Songs are pieces of the other’s lives that only gets its true sense when are integrated in yours. That’s why I’ve decided that “No Surprises” talks about my life. About my job that slowly kills me. About my pretty house and my pretty garden. About my life with no alarms and no surprises.

11. THE RONETTES “Be My Baby” (1963).
An Ellie Greenwich lyrics about a promise of teenager love ’til eternity. A bright melody from Jeff Barry. A brilliant vocal performance from Ronnie Bennett and some delicious harmonies from the other Ronettes. A dramatic drum introduction from Hal Blaine. And the Wall of Sound due to the talents of Jack Nitzsche and, above all, Phil Spector. Cannot fail. These are the perfects ingredients for an immortal pop symphony.

12. THE ROLLING STONES “Let’s Spend the Night Together” (1967).
The Stones were forced to change the title of the song in its performance in the Ed Sullivan Show for “Let’s Spend Some Time Together” in their 1967 show because the original one was considered an incitement to sex. Useless attempt. The spasmodic movements on stage of Mick Jagger still were more sexually explicit that the song lyrics itself.

13. HENRY MANCINI “Moon River” (1961).
An unrepeatable conjunction. Truman Capote as the novel writer. Blake Edwards as the efficient director. Givenchy as the history-making costume designer. Henry Mancini as the composer of a score straight to eternity. And, of course, Audrey Hepburn creating a pop icon of her Holly Golightly. And singing sitting on her windowsill (while George Peppard is peeping) the most beautiful song in the world, “Moon River”.

14. PRINCE & THE REVOLUTION “Kiss” (1986).
Dance, music, sex, romance. Dancing under the cherry moon. Swaying with an irresistible funk rhythm. Embracing under blankets of synthesizers and wah-wahs. Whispering sensual verses with a provocative falsetto. Nobody like Prince to turn seduction, desire and sex into music. “I just need your body, baby, from dusk till dawn”. It can be said louder but not clearer.

15. SIMON & GARFUNKEL “America” (1968).
Paul Simon describes the journey of a young couple in a bus trip to “look for America”, travel in which reappears Kathy (Simon’s ex-girlfriend and protagonist of several previous songs). The songs is running with a gentle tone till it takes a restlessness touch (“I’m empty and aching and I don’t know why”) understanding the uselessness of the trip cause “they’ve all come to look for America”.

16. DAVID BOWIE “Life on Mars?” (1971).
It’s not by chance that Bowie had chosen his dramatic “Life on Mars?” for his 2005 comeback with Arcade Fire. Backed by Rick Wakeman’s piano and Mick Ronson’s string arrangements, Bowie brilliantly croons a cryptic litany about the strange times going on 1971, with “the mice (hippies?) in their million hordes”, when “the workers struck out for fame / cause Lennon’s (Lenin?) on sale again” and “Mickey Mouse’s grown up a cow”.

17. KRAFTWERK “Das Model” (1978).
Kraftwerk, the pioneers par excellence of electronica, made with “Das Model” the track most similar to a pop song of their entire repertoire. Even the usual cold and robotic tone of the voice of Florian Schneider slightly minimizes in that song, keeping an unheard ironic taste. But, of course, its entrance in the universe of the models, the playgirls, the women-machine fitted very well with the world of the men-machine.

18. OTIS REDDING “(Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay” (1968).
Like Spanish hero Cid, Otis Redding won battles after his death. Steve Cropper completed this track that Otis left unfinished. A calm song that was composed in a rented houseboat at San Francisco Bay after the Monterey Festival, pointing that “nothing’s gonna change / everything still remains the same”. He had already conquered the throne of soul in Monterey, but this great song gives us an idea of the heights he could have reached.

19. THE CLASH “Spanish Bombs” (1979).
Yes, I know, viewed from Spain the song is filled with mistakes, historical (bayonets?), geographical (Costa Rica?) and grammatical (vendanna?), but the emotion is absolutely genuine. Four English punk-rockers reminiscing the days of the Spanish Civil War. Days of infamy but also days of glory. Days of “bullet holes in the cemetery walls” but also of “trenches full of poets” and “hillsides ringing with ‘Free the people’”. Chilling.

20. BELLE & SEBASTIAN “Like Dylan in the Movies” (1996).
“If they follow you don’t look back / like Dylan in the movies”. Fragile and sensitive pop from Scotland, with references to “Don’t Look Back”, the D.A. Pennebaker documentary about Dylan. A band of braggarts (being heavy-metal or hip-hop) would have not been bold enough to talk about the fear you feel when somebody follows you down the street. But is fear what you feel, don’t you?

21. THE BYRDS “My Back Pages” (1967).
Dylan in a crossroad. Fed up of being considered the messiah of the angry young men, he says farewell to those ideals “too noble to neglect” and those “confusion boats mutiny from stern to bow”. And the Byrds followed him adding dreamy vocal harmonies and delicate jangly guitars. “Ah, but I was so much older then / I’m younger than that now”.

22. BJÖRK “It’s Oh So Quiet” (1995).
Lunatic jazz. Björk had shown previously in its Icelandic 1990 album “Gling-Gló” her fondness to recreate-pervert jazz standards. But in its cover of “It’s Oh So Quiet”, and in the splendid clip directed by Michel Gondry, she created a fantastic and unreal world that was a step forward from the Broadway musical comedies and served for sure as a departure point for Lars Von Trier’s “Dancer in the Dark”.

23. LOU REED “Walk on the Wild Side” (1972).
Lou Reed got back to some emblematic people from Andy Warhol’s Factory in order to taking us for a walk on the New York wild side, with a smooth jazz rhythm build on Herbie Flower’s upright bass. Holly Woodlawn, Candy Darling, Jose D’Allesandro, Jackie Curtis. Transvestism, prostitution, hustle, drugs, decadence. “I said, babe, take a walk on the wild side / and the coloured girls go doo, doo, doo”.

24. THE POGUES “Fairytale of New York” (1987).
The best possible Christmas carol for today. Irish flavours for a love and hate story happening in a New York where “they’ve got cars big as bars” and “rivers of gold”. While “the bells are ringing out on Christmas day” Shane MacGowan (in a duet with Kirsty MacColl) tells us big tales of a great failures like only him could tell. “I could have been someone / well, so could anyone”.

25. THE BEATLES “Nowhere Man” (1965).
The Beatles freeing themselves of their bonds, their musical roots and the Beatlemania for creating each time with greater freedom. “Rubber Soul” was the turning point of a restless and creative musicians who were about to break the limits. But in that exact point they were able to create songs that would serve to explain to an extraterrestrial what is pop music. That three-part vocal harmonies, that guitars, that beat, …

26. R.E.M. “Losing My Religion” (1991).
“Life is bigger / bigger than you”. Michael Stipe sending out a string of inscrutable confessions. “That’s me in the spotlight / losing my religion”. Peter Buck playing a timeless mandolin. “Consider this / the hint of the century”. The poetic (and commercial) zenith that R.E.M. were pursuing from the middle eighties. But “I’ve said too much / I haven’t said enough”.

27. THE JAM “Going Underground” (1980).
They (and Costello) invented it. Then it was called new wave, now we call it power pop. Melodies came from the sixties pop but the energy came from the punk. And the fury. Paul Weller attacked against the mass media and the nuclear and military policy of Thatcher government. “You choose your leaders and place your trust / as their lies wash you down and their promises rust / you’ll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns”.

28. THE BEACH BOYS “Good Vibrations” (1966).
Brian Wilson made a titanic effort to obtain what many people consider the best song ever. Seven months of recordings in four different recording studios, creating small musical fragments later placed in a meticulous sound collage, complex but accessible, innovative but addictive, luminous, magical, exciting. But now we know that this creative effort left the unstable Brian exhausted and disturbed.

29. THE BAND “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” (1969).
While its contemporaries were facing the Vietnam War, Robbie Robertson and The Band got us back to the American Civil War. And they did it with sympathy for the loser’s side, telling the story of a Confederate soldier who comes back from the front after burying his brother only to find his world and his life shattered. “They should never have taken the very best”. So they weren’t really talking about Vietnam after all?

30. NEW ORDER “Bizarre Love Triangle (Extended)” (1986).
How to survive to the suicide of the writer, singer and leader of the band, Ian Curtis. How to give itself to the hedonism of the dance without losing the mysterious halo of Joy Division. And how to create songs equally moving polished with sumptuous electronic clothes or, like in Frente!’s cover, naked or barely dressed with a simple acoustic guitar.

31. WILLIE COLÓN & RUBÉN BLADES “Pedro Navaja” (1978).
“La vida te da sorpresas (life’s full of surprises)”. Few artists can combine so easily as Rubén Blades the dance rhythms with deep lyrics tinged with social concerns. In his first record, “Siembra” (“Harvest”), he made a gorgeous reworking of Bertolt Brecht & Kurt Weill’s “Mack the Knife” in which one not only can hear the sounds, but even feel the flavours, the smells, the lights and the shadows of the mean streets.

32. FRANK SINATRA & COUNT BASIEFly Me to the Moon” (1964).
“The Voice” has so many splendid songs, but “Fly Me to the Moon” is one of my soft spots. In the movie “Down With Love” there was a scene which offered simultaneously two lovers getting ready for a rendez-vous. She (Renée Zellweger) sweetly caressed with the feminine bossa rhythm of Astrud Gilberto’s cover while he (Ewan McGregor) energetically dressed up with the strong, masculine swing rhythm of Frank’s cover.

33. DAVID BOWIE “Heroes” (1977).
Sometimes fiction surpasses reality. Bowie peeped two lovers dating by the Berlin wall (legend says that it was Bowie’s producer Tony Visconti having an extramarital affair) and created a heroic lover’s tale with “guns shooting above our heads”. The atmospheric Eno’s dynamics, the awesome Fripp guitar work and the terrific Bowie vocal performance made the rest. Just for one day…

34. EMINEM featuring DIDO “Stan” (2000).
It’s my favourite song from the 00s, and the eight years passed by hadn’t dethroned it yet. Probably the best example of storytelling in music, it’s more a novel or a movie than a song. And the story cleverly told as fan mail and the perfectly build dramatic crescendo was astonishingly brilliant. It puts a lump in my throat. Amazing.

35. THE BEATLES “A Day in the Life” (1967).
Lennon wrote a song from fragments of newspapers (it was usual for him these times), played acoustic guitar and sang with a haunting beautiful voice. McCartney wrote and sang a middle section, played piano and bass and was responsible for the drug references (“I had a smoke / and I went into a dream” or “I’d love to turn you on”). And Starr played the best drums you can actually hear on a Beatles song.

36. AL GREEN “Let’s Stay Together” (1971).
Hot. The best song for f…, well, for making love, winning this particular league to Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On”. The swaying rhythm, the smooth arrangements with silky guitars and “horny” horns, the lascivious backing vocals and, of course, the lustful vocal performance from Al Green are enough arguments to rise the temperature of every couple on every bedroom.

37. BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS “Is This Love” (1978).
I remember that, after a particularly boring concert by Sting in the late eighties, the sound engineer played “Is This Love” that came out the speakers like fresh rain on a hot summer. All the audience exited the stadium dancing and singing the Marley song with smiles on our faces. That song was enough to shake all the previous tedium. It’s easy to explain. Marley was “the real thing”.

38. LEONARD COHEN “Suzanne” (1967).
Poetry. The revolution of pop music that Dylan ignited allowed Cohen, already a successful Canadian writer on his thirties, to try his luck. And he opened his first album with this gem, filled with religious references (Jesus “sank beneath your wisdom like a stone”), strange love references (“you know that she’s half crazy / but that’s why you want to be there”), and of course, poetry. Among the garbage and the flowers.

39. MICHAEL JACKSON “Billie Jean” (1982).
No doubt, the most important cross-over hit that deserved all its success. The usual impeccable singing of Michael Jackson met here with great song-writing, with lyrics about a fictional paternity suit. And let me point to the polite and detailed production of Quincy Jones. Every note, every sigh, every cry, every element of the song is perfectly executed and exactly placed.

40. THE SUPREMES “Baby Love” (1964).
From a European point of view, the work of the auteur is usually considered with more artistic value than the industrial approach, more common in the US. A more than unfair opinion if we talk about a team of producers, composers, musicians and singers like the Motown team. In Motown they’ve got the secret formula, the exact amount of every ingredient to make the best pop songs ever.

41. MASSIVE “Unfinished Sympathy” (1991).
Culling elements from diverse styles, Massive Attack designed the everlasting electronic hymn of the 90s, equally apt for dancing madly on the dance floor (courtesy of its house rhythm and hip-hop scratching) and for listening quietly in your bedroom (courtesy of its amazing string arrangements and the soulful Shara Nelson vocals).

42. VAN MORRISON “Into the Mystic” (1970).
Few songs got the power of evocation of this one. The breezy playing, the ethereal lyrics, the placid mood, the soulful singing makes you, quoting Nando Cruz, “feel the imperative need of finding a map and looking for this corner of the world where Morrison imagined these fables, these scenes of wild happiness and running to hide there forever and ever”.

43. NINO ROTAThe Godfather Waltz” (1972).
The screen is completely in black. Then a single trumpet plays an incredibly sad melody with a distant Mediterranean flavour (the introduction of the mandolin makes this Italian connection much clearer). But not in the movie. After the trumpet intro a voice out of nowhere says: “I believe in America”. Then an overhead-lighted closed-up Bonasera asks Don Corleone to kill someone. Terrific. And terrifying.

44. DEREK & THE DOMINOS “Layla” (1970).
Eric Clapton teamed with members of Delaney and Bonnie and Allman Brothers Band to form Derek & the Dominos. Their masterpiece was these pleading of love for the wife of his best friend (no other than George Harrison). The first part of the song is superb, with its legendary riff and the desperate lyrics. But the second part, built around a wonderful piano part, is pure beauty.

45. THE LA’S “There She Goes” (1990).
This song creates addiction. But don’t blame it to heroin, blame it to the secret ingredient of the formula of pop, the one that makes you sing along and hear the song again and again, the one that makes this style superior to any other (in my opinion). By the way, I don’t know the secret ingredient. If I knew it maybe I would be Paul McCartney. Or Lee Mavers.

46. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO “Sunday Morning” (1966).
My favourite Velvet song, a pretty moody song from an awesome album. I always thought that Nico was the singer but I was puzzled some months ago when I read that Lou Reed sang the song with a falsetto. I didn’t believe it initially but the more times I listened to the song the more I realized that this voice didn’t come from the icy blonde German beauty but from Lou-Lou. Quite disturbing.

47. LOVE “Alone Again Or” (1967).
A delicious anomaly in 60s California psychedelic scene, and even an anomaly within its own band and album. While “Forever Changes” was the work of art of Arthur Lee, “Alone Again Or” was written and sang by Bryan MacLean and featured a flamenco-style chord pattern and a Tijuana Brass-style trumpet solo. But it had a bittersweet tone common with Lee material: “And I will be alone again tonight my dear”.

48. STAN GETZ & JOAO GILBERTO “The Girl From Ipanema” (1964).
Vinícius de Moraes and Antonio Carlos Jobim used to go to Ipanema Beach to chat and have some drinks in the terrace of the Veloso Bar. One fine day that graceful garota (girl) passed by and right there they laid down that famous tune. It’s amazing that such a daily affair (who had not fallen immediately in love with some pretty thing walking?) gave birth to a superb song that swings and sways just like the hips of that real girl from Ipanema.

49. SUFJAN STEVENS “John Wayne Gacy, Jr.” (2005).
A quite recent song that has climbed directly to my Top 50. Sufjan tells the scary story of John Wayne Gacy, Jr., a famous serial killer that killed “twenty-seven people / even more”. But the most disturbing is the gentle and sweet tone that Sufjan applies to that tremendous story. And its devastating conclusion: “And in my best behaviour / I am really just like him / Look beneath the floorboards / for the secrets I have hid”.

50. SERGEY PROKOFIEV “Romeo and Juliet, Suite No. 2 for orchestra, No. 1 Montagues and Capulets” (1936).
Vicente Sáez, friend, musician and producer of my band back in 1984, used to say that the first orchestral tutti “contains all the music in the world”. Maybe he was true, but the real highlight of this classical piece is this dramatic ascending and descending melody line played by the strings over an ominous march-like rhythm pattern sustained by the double basses and the horns. The sounds of the tragedy.

51. THE FLAMING LIPS “Do You Realize??” (2002).
52. JACQUES BREL “Les paumés du petit matin” (1962).
53. ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS “Oliver’s Army” (1979).
54. BLUR “End of a Century” (1994).
55. THE ZOMBIES “Time of the Season” (1968).
56. CAMARÓN “Volando voy” (1979).
57. THE STONE ROSES “This Is the One” (1989).
58. LOU REED “Dirty Blvd.” (1989).
59. PIXIES “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989).
60. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN “The River” (1980).
61. THE STOOGES “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969).
62. JANE BIRKIN avec SERGE GAINSBOURG “Je t’aime… moi non plus” (1969).
63. BILLIE HOLIDAY “Strange Fruit” (1939).
64. TALKING HEADS “Psycho Killer” (1977).
65. BOB DYLAN “Just Like a Woman” (1966).
66. JUDY GARLAND “Over the Rainbow” (1939).
67. ELVIS PRESLEY “Mystery Train” (1955).
68. JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE “All Along the Watchtower” (1968).
69. THE ROLLING STONES “Honky Tonk Women” (1969).
70. CHIC “Le Freak” (1978).
71. THE TEMPTATIONS “My Girl” (1964).
72. PREFAB SPROUT “Goodbye Lucille #1” (1985).
73. JOY DIVISION “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (1980).
74. SUPER FURRY ANIMALS “Juxtapozed With U” (2001).
75. SUEDE “Beautiful Ones” (1996).
76. SISA “Qualsevol nit pot sortir el sol” (1975).
77. PUBLIC ENEMY “Don’t Believe the Hype” (1988).
78. STEVIE WONDER “Superstition” (1972).
79. SLY & THE FAMILY STONE “Family Affair” (1971).
80. HERBIE HANCOCK “Cantaloupe Island” (1964).
81. DIONNE WARWICK “Walk on By” (1964).
82. THE KINKS “Waterloo Sunset” (1967).
83. VAN MORRISON “Brown-Eyed Girl” (1967).
84. JANIS JOPLIN “Me and Bobby McGee” (1971).
85. NIRVANA “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991).
86. JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH “Matthäuspassion (St. Matthew Passion), No. 1 Chorus: Kommt, ihr Tochter, helft mir Klagen” (1736).
87. TINDERSTICKS featuring CARLA TORGESON “Travelling Light” (1995).
88. LOS PLANETAS “Segundo premio” (1998), comment and translation.
89. NEIL YOUNG “Tired Eyes” (1975).
90. BIG STAR “Thirteen” (1972).
91. PAUL SIMON “Diamonds on the Sole of Her Shoes” (1986).
92. GORAN BREGOVIC “Mesecina” (1995).
93. RUFUS WAINWRIGHT “The One You Love” (2005).
94. LED ZEPPELIN “Whole Lotta Love” (1969).
95. THE POLICE “Roxanne” (1978).
96. ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN “The Killing Moon” (1984).
97. EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL “Missing (Todd Terry Remix)” (1995).
98. THE POSTAL SERVICE “Such Great Heights” (2003).
99. JAMES BROWN “Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine” (1970).
100. ROBERT WYATT “Insensatez” (2003).

101. DEPECHE MODE “It’s No Good” (1997).
102. KYLIE MINOGUE “Can’t Get You Out of My Head” (2001).
103. PETER GABRIEL “Games Without Frontiers” (1980).
104. AZTEC CAMERA “Walk Out to Winter (Extended)” (1983).
105. IKE & TINA TURNER “River Deep, Mountain High” (1966).
106. DONNA SUMMER “I Feel Love” (1977).
107. THE STROKES “Last Nite” (2001).
108. THE ROLLING STONES “Dead Flowers” (1971).
109. LED ZEPPELIN “Black Dog” (1971).
110. PRINCE “Sign ‘O’ the Times” (1987).
111. OUTKAST “Hey Ya!” (2003).
112. DJANGO REINHARDT “Nuages” (1940).
113. LOTTE LENYA “Seeräuberjenny” (1931).
114. MORRISSEY “First of the Gang to Die” (2004).
115. PORTISHEAD “Roads” (1994).
116. JEFF BUCKLEY “Hallelujah” (1994).
117. DEEE-LITE “Groove Is in the Heart” (1990).
118. RADIO FUTURA “Han caído los dos” (1985), comment and translation.
119. PINK FLOYD “Wish You Were Here” (1975).
120. THE PATTI SMITH GROUP “Because the Night” (1978).
121. CARL PERKINS “Blue Suede Shoes” (1956).
122. NICK DRAKE “River Man” (1969).
123. ANTONIO VIVALDI “Violin Concerto for violin, strings and continuo in G minor, ‘L’estate’ The Four Seasons ‘Il cimento, No 2’, 3rd Movement: Presto” (1725).
124. YOUSSOU N’DOUR & NENEH CHERRY “7 Seconds” (1994).
125. BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB “Chan Chan” (1997).
126. TOM JOBIM & ELIS REGINA “Águas de Março” (1974).
127. THE RAMONES “The KKK Took My Baby Away” (1981).
128. PJ HARVEY “C’mon Billy” (1995).
129. LAURYN HILL “Ex-Factor” (1998).
130. LA BUENA VIDA “Qué nos va a pasar” (2001), comment and translation.
131. LEONARD BERNSTEIN “Somewhere” (1957).
132. OTIS REDDING “Try a Little Tenderness (‘Monterey International Pop Festival’ Live Version)” (1970).
133. SAM COOKE “A Change Is Gonna Come” (1964).
134. CHARLIE PARKER SEPTET “A Night in Tunisia” (1946).
135. KING CRIMSON “Starless” (1974).
136. THE BEACH BOYS “I Get Around” (1964).
137. THE BEE GEES “Stayin’ Alive” (1977).
138. THE CURE “In Between Days” (1985).
139. SOFT CELL “Tainted Love” (1981).
140. PIXIES “Debaser” (1989).
141. SPIRITUALIZED “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space” (1997).
142. SONIC YOUTH “Kool Thing” (1990).
143. THE WHO “I Can See for Miles” (1967).
144. THE LEFT BANKE “Walk Away Renée” (1966).
145. STEPPENWOLF “Born to Be Wild” (1968).
146. T.REX “Bang a Gong (Get It On)” (1971).
147. KIKO VENENO “En un Mercedes blanco” (1992), comment and translation.
148. CARLOS GARDEL “Mano a mano” (1923).
149. CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL “Have You Ever Seen the Rain?” (1970).
150. GLORIA GAYNOR “I Will Survive” (1978).

151. SOUL II SOUL “Get a Life” (1989).
152. BJÖRK “Violently Happy” (1993).
153. FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE “Stacy’s Mom” (2003).
154. DAMIEN RICE “The Blower’s Daughter” (2002).
155. JAMES TAYLOR “You’ve Got a Friend” (1971).
156. THE DOORS “Riders on the Storm” (1971).
157. THE WHITE STRIPES “Seven Nation Army” (2003).
158. RADIOHEAD “Creep” (1992).
159. GRAM PARSONS “She” (1973).
160. THE STREETS “Dry Your Eyes” (2004).
161. MANU CHAO “Clandestino” (1998).
162. KHALED “Didi” (1992).
163. DAVID BOWIE “Golden Years” (1975).
164. JOHN CALE “Paris 1919” (1973).
165. SEBADOH “Skull” (1994).
166. THE CHIFFONS “One Fine Day” (1963).
167. ABBA “Dancing Queen” (1976).
168. BLONDIE “Heart of Glass” (1978).
169. MADONNA “Into the Groove” (1985).
170. ARCADE FIRE “Rebellion (Lies)” (2004).
171. GOLPES BAJOS “No mires a los ojos de la gente” (1983), comment and translation.
172. MERCURY REV “Goddess on a Hiway” (1998).
173. JOHN COLTRANE “My Favorite Things” (1961).
174. ERIK SATIE “Gymnopédie No. 1” (1888).
175. PSYCHIC TV “Just Drifting (For Caresse)” (1982).
176. PALE FOUNTAINS “Palm of My Hand” (1983).
177. TOM WAITS “Jockey Full of Bourbon” (1985).
178. ARETHA FRANKLIN “I Say a Little Prayer” (1968).
179. THE SHINS “Saint Simon” (2003).
180. DONOVAN “Hurdy Gurdy Man” (1968).
181. THE BEATLES “Helter Skelter” (1968).
182. ROY ORBISON “In Dreams” (1963).
183. THE MAMA’S AND THE PAPA’S “California Dreamin’” (1965).
184. GENESIS “The Carpet Crawlers” (1974).
185. PINK FLOYD “Comfortably Numb” (1979).
186. THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND “Ramblin’ Man” (1973).
187. JAPAN “Visions of China” (1981).
188. THE CHURCH “Already Yesterday” (1985).
189. PACO DE LUCÍA “Entre dos aguas” (1973), comment and translation.
190. NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS “Into My Arms” (1997).
191. GEORGES BRASSENS “La mauvaise réputation” (1953).
192. THE SPECIALS “A Message to You Rudy” (1979).
193. THE SUGARHILL GANG “Rapper’s Delight” (1979).
194. CHUCK BERRY “Johnny B. Goode” (1958).
195. LOUIS JORDAN “Five Guys Named Moe” (1943).
196. ELVIS PRESLEY “Trouble” (1958).
197. GUNS N’ ROSES “Sweet Child o’ Mine” (1987).
198. THE VERVE “The Drugs Don’t Work” (1997).
199. U2 “Sunday Bloody Sunday” (1983).
200. JOHN WILLIAMS “Theme from Schindler’s List” (1993).

201. TALKING HEADS “Once in a Lifetime” (1980).
202. DAVID SYLVIAN & RYUICHI SAKAMOTO “Forbidden Colours” (1983).
203. BASEMENT JAXX “Red Alert” (1999).
204. PAUL SIMON “Kodachrome” (1973).
205. BIG STAR “September Gurls” (1974).
206. DAVE BRUBECK QUARTET “Take Five” (1959).
207. THE MARCELS “Blue Moon” (1961).
208. DICK DALE & THE DEL-TONES “Miserlou” (1962).
209. CHRIS ISAAK “Wicked Game” (1989).
210. JOHNNY CASH “Hurt” (2002).
211. RY COODER “A Canción Mixteca” (1985).
212. WILCO “Jesus, etc.” (2002).
213. TODD RUNDGREN “I Saw the Light” (1972).
214. DEEP PURPLE “Highway Star (‘Made in Japan’ Live Version)” (1972).
215. KING CRIMSON “Cadence and Cascade” (1970).
216. LLUÍS LLACH “Abril 74” (1975).
217. MARLENE DIETRICH “Sag’ mir, wo die Blumen sind” (1962).
218. FRANK ZAPPA “The Torture Never Stops” (1976).
219. AC/DC “Highway to Hell” (1979).
220. THE AVALANCHES “Since I Left You” (2000).
221. DE LA SOUL “Me, Myself & I” (1989).
222. STANLEY MYERS “Cavatina (Theme from the Deer Hunter)” (1978).
223. FRANKIE VALLI “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” (1967).
224. THE BEATLES “Eleanor Rigby” (1966).
225. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN “Symphony No. 3 in E flat major ‘Eroica’, 2nd Movement: Marcia funebre, Adagio assai” (1803).
226. THE ASSOCIATION “Never My Love” (1967).
227. BOB DYLAN “The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll” (1964).
228. DOMINIQUE A. “Pour la peau” (2001).
229. JAMES BROWN “I Got You (I Feel Good)” (1965).
230. THE CURE “Boys Don’t Cry” (1979).
231. MADNESS “My Girl” (1979).
232. THE THE “Uncertain Smile (Extended)” (1982).
233. A GIRL CALLED EDDY “Golden” (2004).
234. HANK WILLIAMS “Long Gone Lonesome Blues” (1950).
235. GLENN MILLER “Moonlight Serenade” (1939).
236. LOVE UNLIMITED ORCHESTRA “Love’s Theme” (1973).
237. BRIAN ENO & DAVID BYRNE “Regiment” (1981).
238. JOSELE SANTIAGO “Con las manos vacías” (2004), comment and translation.
239. ANDRÉS CALAMARO “No son horas” (1999), comment and translation.
240. THE WHO “5:15” (1973).
241. JOE JACKSON “Not Here, Not Now” (1984).
242. NEIL YOUNG “Like a Hurricane” (1977).
243. THE CLASH “Version City” (1980).
244. EDDIE COCHRAN “Somethin’ Else” (1959).
245. FRANÇOISE HARDY “Tous les garçons et les filles” (1962).
246. TORTOISE “Glass Museum” (1996).
247. MILES DAVIS “Sanctuary” (1970).
248. BOB DYLAN “Workingman’s Blues #2” (2006).
249. MOJAVE 3 “In Love With a View” (2000).
250. ROBERT JOHNSON “Cross Road Blues” (1936).
Last edited by Honorio on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Re: Song List Special #5: Honorio

Post by jamieW »

Thanks for posting, Honorio! I'm looking really forward to exploring your list as soon as school allows me the time. I can already see a number of personal favorites on the list, and quite a few unfamiliar titles as well. It definitely gives me something to look forward to during a time of my life that's been rather stressful lately.
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

How about links to some "underrated" or "unknown" songs? :music-listening: :music-listening: :music-guitarred: :music-listening: :music-listening:
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Why not? I'll try to include it on Saturday...
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Well, it’s Saturday so finally I found some time to look for some links. I’ve edited the list and I’ve included You Tube links (and my comments for the Spanish songs) for every song except:
- The songs included on Acclaimed Music Top 3000 Songs.
- Songs not in Top 3000 songs but part of an album included on Acclaimed Music Top 3000 Albums.
As you can see, not many “unknown” songs apart of classical works, Spanish songs and some oldies.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Can't wait to dig in! Thanks for stepping up, Honorio!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Just getting started on this great list.

32. FRANK SINATRA & COUNT BASIE “Fly Me to the Moon” (1964).
How could I have missed this on my list. This song will definitely make my list next time, likely in the top 3000. Frank is at his best in this song. The interplay with the horns and keyboards is playful and catchy.

Hopefully, I will get a chance to listen to more of your great recommendations in the next week or so.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

What an interesting list! I know a lot of these songs, but there are still plenty that are unknown to me:

Henry Mancini - "Moon River": I may have heard this before, but not for a long time. There is such an elegance and grace to this song. It's really quite lovely. :)

Willie Colon & Ruben Blades - "Pedro Navaja": I'm most interested in exploring some of the songs sung in Spanish, and this did not disappoint. I studied for a semester in Mexico and it turned out to be one of the highlights of my entire life. This song just bursts with color and life.

Camaron de la Isla - "Volando Voy": Another song with an exuberant joy! It's hard not to feel better having listened to these two back to back.

Prefab Sprout - "Goodbye Lucille #1": Some friends have raved about Prefab Sprout, but I never really dug in deeply. Every time I've tried, I've thought that they were nice, but not something that would really excite me. I'm not sure which songs I had heard, but this certainly wasn't one of them, or I would have certainly taken notice. What a song! There is such an emotional tug and a wonderful intensity!

More to come...
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Herbie Hancock - "Cantaloupe Island": I loved Us3's "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)" as a kid, mostly for the jazzy sample. I thought I had heard it was Hancock before, but I'm not sure if I'd heard it until now. It's just wonderful - a timeless feel-good groove. Scribble-dabble-Scrabble-on-the-microphone-I-babble!

Peter Gabriel - "Games Without Frontiers": The only PG album I have is So. It's ok, but not very exciting to me. I have always liked "Shock the Monkey" and felt that his earlier solo efforts would be to my taste. This certainly confirms it. She is so funnnnky!

Radio Futura - "Han Caido los Dos": Hell yeah! A little funky new wave with great feeling. I don't think stuff like this is celebrated enough in terms of Spanish-language music. Great find.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Many thanks Moonbeam (and Henry) for your comments. I'm glad you liked those songs!
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

By the way it seems that we've given up on this thread which is a pity. We stooped after Whuntva's list and now we are 3 lists late.

Here is the schedule initially set up :

7. Gillingham (March 5 - March 18)
8. Henrik (March 19 - April 1)
9. Dan (April 2 - April 15)
10. slick (April 16 - April 29)
11. Fred (April 30 - May 13)
12. TimmyWing (May 14 - May 27)
13. Jackson (May 28 - June 10)
14. nicolas (June 11 - June 24)
15. Nassim (June 25 - July 8)
16. sonofsamiam (July 9 - July 22)
17. JamieW (July 23 - August 5)

So what do we do?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I'm really sorry I haven't commented on others' lists. This was a great idea Moonbeam, and for some time very successful too. I'm afraid my name has to be removed from the list. I would feel bad posting my list when I haven't commented on others, plus I haven't got time to make any comments to my own picks. Maybe I could catch up after the next site update.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Golpes Bajos - "No mires a los ojos de la gente": My favorite of the tracks so far. It just screams 1983 in all of the right ways!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

nicolas wrote:By the way it seems that we've given up on this thread which is a pity. We stooped after Whuntva's list and now we are 3 lists late.

Here is the schedule initially set up :

7. Gillingham (March 5 - March 18)
8. Henrik (March 19 - April 1)
9. Dan (April 2 - April 15)
10. slick (April 16 - April 29)
11. Fred (April 30 - May 13)
12. TimmyWing (May 14 - May 27)
13. Jackson (May 28 - June 10)
14. nicolas (June 11 - June 24)
15. Nassim (June 25 - July 8)
16. sonofsamiam (July 9 - July 22)
17. JamieW (July 23 - August 5)

So what do we do?
I feel like I let the ball drop, and I'm sorry for that. I was busy frantically trying to submit my thesis so I had little time, but I'm happy to keep this going, if others are still interested.

I think giving more time to this list and whuntva's will be a good start to revive the idea, and then we can continue with whoever still wants to participate.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Fantastic list Honorio, particularly the #1 of course. :whistle:
Moonbeam wrote:Willie Colon & Ruben Blades - "Pedro Navaja": I'm most interested in exploring some of the songs sung in Spanish, and this did not disappoint. I studied for a semester in Mexico and it turned out to be one of the highlights of my entire life. This song just bursts with color and life.
You should definitely check out some of the earlier rounds of the AM Foreign World Cup; some real masterpieces sung in Spanish.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Stephan wrote: You should definitely check out some of the earlier rounds of the AM Foreign World Cup; some real masterpieces sung in Spanish.
Indeed!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

52. JACQUES BREL “Les paumés du petit matin” (1962) - this song seems to be playful both lyrically and musically. But, I do not find it compellingly appealing. Perhaps if you described what appeals to you about this song, my appreciation would increase.

54. BLUR “End of a Century” (1994). - I enjoyed this song. One of the potential discoveries for me in this list, even if does not make my faves list.

57. THE STONE ROSES “This Is the One” (1989). - I've heard this song before, but only a few times. It appears to be a grower.

72. PREFAB SPROUT “Goodbye Lucille #1” (1985). - I seem to enjoy many Prefab Sprout songs. This song should make my faves list based on my first listen.

Hopefully, I will make more progress going through your list in the next week or so.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Honorio, now that I have a little more spare time, I’m trying to catch up with the song lists. Here are a few of my favorites so far from your list that I didn’t know well (or at all, in a few cases):

SERGEY PROKOFIEV “Romeo and Juliet, Suite No. 2 for orchestra, No. 1 Montagues and Capulets”
I’ve seen this on a number of lists, and I certainly understand why. What I enjoy as much as the famous, more dramatic moments is the atmosphere of tension it creates beforehand. One of my personal favorite classical/romantic pieces has always been Tchaikovsky’s “Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture,” and it’s interesting to compare the two interpretations. My dad has an expansive classical music collection (his favorite composer being Mahler), so I grew up enjoying classical music without (unfortunately) taking the time to get to know the names of the pieces. I’m looking forward to exploring Dan’s Spotify list of classical music, since I’m sure it will be a great way to rediscover lost favorites from my youth.

NINO ROTA “The Godfather Waltz”
I always loved this beautiful music, but never knew the composer. I should be embarrassed to admit this, but one of my favorite songs growing up was the “Love Theme to the Godfather (Speak Softly Love)” by Andy Williams. I should probably be even more embarrassed to admit that I still love it.

JACQUES BREL “Les paumés du petit matin”
I’ve always felt that Brel was one of the most charismatic performers of all time. (The first time I saw a performance of “Amsterdam,” it left me speechless.) This is another cool, confident performance, and I really like the smooth, subtle instrumental accompaniment. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the English translation for this one, since I know that Brel lyrics never disappoint.

CAMARÓN “Volando voy”
And speaking of great instrumentation! I really enjoyed everything about this song (which I’d never heard before), from the great flamenco guitars, to the flute and percussion. I even appreciated the hint of disco, since I’m someone who still has fond memories of the disco era.

SISA “Qualsevol nit pot sortir el sol”
Of course, I knew this one already from the World Cup, but I thought it deserved a special mention, since it continues to grow on me the more I hear it. It’s like a beautiful, all-encompassing lullaby.

HERBIE HANCOCK “Cantaloupe Island”
While I know much of Herbie Hancock’s music, I’m ashamed to admit that the only familiarity I had with this piece was from the US3 song that sampled it in the 90s. (And I wasn’t terribly impressed with that song, either, since it just felt gimmicky to me.) Now “Cantaloupe Island” is impressive! It instantly becomes one of my favorites by the legendary musician.

JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH “Matthäuspassion (St. Matthew Passion), No. 1 Chorus: Kommt, ihr Tochter, helft mir Klagen”
Another classical piece that I instantly remembered as soon as the choir started. Thank you for reintroducing me to this beautiful music!

Of course, there are also many, many great songs on your list that I already knew well. More to come as I find time!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Finally found some more time for this great list and here's what I found:

86. JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH “Matthäuspassion (St. Matthew Passion), No. 1 Chorus: Kommt, ihr Tochter, helft mir Klagen” (1736). - This will make my all time faves list, but not super high

101. DEPECHE MODE “It’s No Good” (1997). First listen was impressive enough to put in my all time faves list, but again not particularly high on the list.

123. ANTONIO VIVALDI “Violin Concerto for violin, strings and continuo in G minor, ‘L’estate’ The Four Seasons ‘Il cimento, No 2’, 3rd Movement: Presto” (1725). Fantastic masterpiece. Hopefully, this composition will be getting some raves in our classical music discussion.

191. GEORGES BRASSENS “La mauvaise réputation” (1953). More in the appreciate than enjoy category for me.

200. JOHN WILLIAMS “Theme from Schindler’s List” (1993). Excellent, definitely in my faves list.

215. KING CRIMSON “Cadence and Cascade” (1970). Great discovery for me. WIll make my faves list, but not yet very high. This song could be a grower.

218. FRANK ZAPPA “The Torture Never Stops” (1976). Another delightful discovery for me. I saw Zappa live back in the
1980's in Berkeley, CA - but did not collect much of his music.

225. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN “Symphony No. 3 in E flat major ‘Eroica’, 2nd Movement: Marcia funebre, Adagio assai” (1803). Doesn't captivate me in the manner of the 9th or 5th Symphonies; but still an all time fave.

Thanks so much for providing these songs on your list.
SavoyBG
Let's Get It On

Post by SavoyBG »

39. MICHAEL JACKSON “Billie Jean” (1982).
No doubt, the most important cross-over hit that deserved all its success. The usual impeccable singing of Michael Jackson met here with great song-writing, with lyrics about a fictional paternity suit. And let me point to the polite and detailed production of Quincy Jones. Every note, every sigh, every cry, every element of the song is perfectly executed and exactly placed.

Quincy Jones hated the song and did not think it was good enough to be on the album. Michael had to fight him tooth and nail to even put the song on the album, so I would not be crediting Jones with anything on this one. The story of the recording of the track is fascinating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Jean
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Great list!!! I'm glad to see The Girl From Ipanema :D
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Moonbeam wrote:I studied for a semester in Mexico and it turned out to be one of the highlights of my entire life.
I would love to hear the story behind that semester. If you ever go back to Mexico, or anyone on this forums decide to visit the country, remember that in Mexico City you already have a friend: me. :greetings-waveyellow:
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

My unknow picks (1)

JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH “Matthäuspassion (St. Matthew Passion), No. 1 Chorus: Kommt, ihr Tochter, helft mir Klagen”

Everything from Bach moves me. Vocal works and instrumental alike.

KING CRIMSON "Cadence and Cascade"

I love the 70s. King Crimson are well known for their long and complex songs, and that one is short and simple. Touching. I love the flute. It reminds me of my childhood.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Blanco wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:I studied for a semester in Mexico and it turned out to be one of the highlights of my entire life.
I would love to hear the story behind that semester. If you ever go back to Mexico, or anyone on this forums decide to visit the country, remember that in Mexico City you already have a friend: me. :greetings-waveyellow:
In the US, we keep on hearing nightmarish stories about certain cities in Mexico, including Mexico City.

My guess is that if you know someone that keeps you out of harm's way, Mexico City is a lot of fun and reasonably safe.

If it's not so safe, please describe what precautions a tourist visiting Mexico City should prudently consider.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

This time I'm going from top to bottom listening to songs I don't know or am not familiar with

13. HENRY MANCINI “Moon River” (Vocals Audrey Hepburn) (1961).
I totally forgot this song in your list. Realized I'd never heard the Audrey Hepburn version. Chills and shivers! What a great song! She achieves what Carla Bruni will never be able to achieve. Short, simple and strong.

32. FRANK SINATRA & COUNT BASIE “Fly Me to the Moon” (1964)
Classy. I love Basie's orchestra. Great. Never been a Sinatra fan (i don't really like his vocals) but this song is great.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Henry wrote: In the US, we keep on hearing nightmarish stories about certain cities in Mexico, including Mexico City.

My guess is that if you know someone that keeps you out of harm's way, Mexico City is a lot of fun and reasonably safe.

If it's not so safe, please describe what precautions a tourist visiting Mexico City should prudently consider.
Henry, to avoid answer you here and change the subject of Honorio's topic, I wrote the answer on a different topic. You can see it here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1150
I hope that I have answered your question. If you have any other, do not hesitate to ask.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”