Albums of 2013

Amoux
Are You Experienced?

Re: Albums of 2013

Post by Amoux »

Nick wrote:Just finished listening to the new Janelle Monae album. It's really, really good (no surprise there).
I'm listening to it right now! It's been such a long wait - I'm so excited! :D Will post my initial thoughts later.

EDIT: Verdict. I'm really disappointed. Devastated. I was getting a bad feeling as I was going through the fourth suite. I was always a bit iffy with the single 'Q.U.E.E.N.' the hook is not that good and quite repetitive and it could easily do without the preachy finale. I don't like the mix of 'Electric Lady' it sounds much better live. I don't like the radio skits, it reminds me awfully of the pointless skits in hip-hop albums. I'm disappointed with the number of forgettable tracks - like to me 'Primetime' is completely forgettable and 'We Were Rock & Roll' is cheesy.

'Look Into My Eyes' was the sort of tracks I was expecting. It was sort of thing that was in 'The ArchAndroid'. The fifth suite fares better in that regard, but dynamically I'm missing that nerdy sci-fi 'emotional picture of the mind' concept that was such a big part of her previous two albums and there is a severe lack of great pop hits. Truly, The Electric Lady doesn't sound like it belongs to the Metropolis concept series. Even the second suite isn't that great in my opinion - every song flows into the next but nothing catches me until track 16(!) 'Can't Live Without Your Love' which is a pretty catchy number. 'Dorothy Dandridge Eyes' is another song that sounds considerably better live - it's like on the studio version she has sped it up and added some unfitting drum beat to it (I don't remember it being like that).

Choice cut would only be "Dance Apocalyptic". Not much else to salvage in my opinion. Her weakest album by far, I don't even want to listen to it again that is how bitter I'm feeling right now. 5/10 (and I'm feeling ever-so generous)
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I'm on my second listen. Feeling much better about it this time around, I still feel just a little let down.

1. The tracks really need to be re-ordered.
2. The radio skits are cheap narrative devices (like a terrible voiceover in a film).
3. Two or three tracks need to be dropped ('We Were Rock & Roll' first please)
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Sleigh Bells! Woop! Woop!

(I think I'm the only one who cares)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Zorg wrote:Sleigh Bells! Woop! Woop!

No you're not ! Bitter Rivals is interesting, sounds both pretty new and very Sleigh Bell at the same time, so even if it is not their best track ever, I feel pretty excited (also cause it means I might get to see them live again and even if Born to Lose was a bit disappointing despite a great first single!). Woop ! Woop !

I should be able to listen to new Janelle Monae and Arctic Monkeys this afternoon.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Thanks for reminding me!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I care! "Treats" was one of my top ten albums of 2010, and while I only thought "Reign of Terror" was okay, I'm still excited to see what they put out next.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

These New Puritans - Field of Reeds is climbing my best of the year list really quickly. It's the sort of album that when I'm listening to it I don't realize how much I'm enjoying it, then look back and think it was awesome.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Electric Lady was a little disappointing for me on first listen. There are definitely some highlights, and "Q.U.E.E.N." sounds better in the context of the album, but I don't think this album has either the peaks or the consistency that made The ArchAndroid so great. I feel like Janelle may have gotten a little overconfident leading up to this album, focusing more on who she could get to guest star and what her public image should be rather than the quality of the music. But then again, I might be overreacting to one stream of the album.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

This is what I have come up with Re: The Electric Lady, I'd love it if anyone could help with improving it.

It's confusing as The Chase Suite and The Archandroid are presented as cinematic experiences. With The Electric Lady we have three radio skits that give a bit of insight into what is happening in Metropolis, however, we retain the Overtures. These two different types of interlude are conflicting. Am I listening to a film or the radio?
Another problem with the radio skits is that we don't hear the first (Good Morning Midnight) until the listener has already invested 16 minutes into this album. The second skit is 8 minutes after the first and the third 18 minutes after that. These gaps are inconsistent, not to mention that between the second and third skits the tone of the album dramatically shifts (and we hear another Overture).

This could have all been avoided by a few changes in the running order. It's worth noting that Janelle has mentioned that this album is a prequel to The Archandroid (Our Favourite Fugitive basically states this). If the album had gone a bit more like this:

1. Suite IV Electric Overture
2. Electric Lady
3. Good Morning Midnight (interlude)
4. Q.U.E.E.N.
5. Givin Em What They Love
6. Our Favorite Fugitive (interlude)
7. PrimeTime
8. We Were Rock & Roll
9. The Chrome Shoppe (interlude)
10. Dance Apocalyptic

A ) It's a bit more obvious that these are the tracks that Cindy has released to the citizens of Metropolis.
B ) We understand what an Electric Lady is from the get go. Also I like the Prince track, but not as an opener.
C ) The flow would be so much nicer and, you know, the suite now makes sense.

Suit 5 then returns back to the cinematic excellence we expect from Janelle:

11. Suite V Electric Overture
12. Look Into My Eyes
13. It's Code
14. Ghetto Woman
15. Victory
16. Can't Live Without Your Love
17. Sally Ride
18. Dorothy Dandridge Eyes
19. What An Experience

A ) By moving the subtle Look Into My Eyes away from the jumpy Dance Apocalyptic it really stands out and is a great suite opener.
B ) Removing Our Favourite Fugitive helps with the flow of the second act.

Unfortunately because the tracks bleed into each other it's still a bit off, but vastly improves it.

*shrugs*
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Simply continuing my running list on a new page

Mind blown:
My Bloody Valentine- m b v
Julia Holter- Loud City Song
Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City

Great:
The National- Trouble Will Find Me
Laura Marling- Once I Was an Eagle
Arctic Monkeys- AM
Deerhunter- Monomania
Savages- Silence Yourself
Deafheaven- Sunbather
Sigur Ros- Kveikur
Disclosure- Settle
Julianna Barwick- Nepenthe
Kurt Vile- Wakin on a Pretty Daze
Jon Hopkins- Immunity
Kanye West- Yeezus
Run the Jewels- Run the Jewels
The Knife- Shaking the Habitual
Matthew E. White- Big Inner
Daft Punk- Random Access Memories
Neko Case- The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You

Really Good:
Forest Swords- Engravings
Queens of the Stone Age- ...Like Clockwork
James Blake- Overgrown
David Bowie- The Next Day
Mikal Cronin-MCII
Kacey Musgraves- Same Trailer Different Park
Chance the Rapper- Acid Rap
Rhye-Woman
Parquet Courts- Light Up Gold
The Haxan Cloak- Excavation
Yo La Tengo-Fade
Justin Timberlake- 20/20 Experience Part 1
Iceage- You're Nothing
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- Push the Sky Away
Kvelertak- Meir

Good:
Foxygen- We are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
Colin Stetson- New History Warfare Vol 3: To See More Light
Autre Ve Neut-Anxiety
Ghostface Killah- 12 Reasons to Die
Ashley Monroe- Like a Rose

Ok:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Mosquito

Meh:
Jay-Z: Magna Carta Holy Grail
Last edited by Mattceinicram on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

I personally really enjoy Electric Lady. I'm not as hung up as Machine Man about the track order and the conceptual quagmires of radio vs cinematic and things like that. The radio skits don't bother me. Because of the close name-sakes and similar ambition, I found myself comparing the album to Hendrix's Electric Ladyland. Now, if you wanna talk about a sprawling album that was all over the place conceptually and sonically, that one probably takes the cake. So I forgive Electric Lady its uneven fluctuations and lack of conceptual clarity, because to me it's just emulating Hendrix's masterpiece.
blackandbianco
Start Me Up

Post by blackandbianco »

Really looking forward to this next week, what with Arctic Monkeys, The Weeknd, and Janelle Monae. Haven't listened to any yet, although they have been streaming, haven't gotten to it, but I think Arctic Monkeys have got a really good record, could be their best since the debut, and who would have thought than an NME darling's fifth album could be worth any hype at all, although probably not as potentially great as what Janelle and Abel have coming, just have to see.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Excellent:

1. MBV- My Bloody Valentine
2. Modern Vampires of the City- Vampire Weekend

Great:

3. Random Access Memories- Daft Punk
4. Settle- Disclosure
5. Yeezus- Kanye West

Very Good:

6. Kveikur- Sigur Ros
7. The Electric Lady- Janelle Monae
8. Overgrown- James Blake
9. Sunbather- Deafheaven
10. Shaking the Habitual- The Knife
11. The 20/20 Experience- Justin Timberlake
12. Slow Focus- Fuck Buttons
13. The Next Day- David Bowie
14. Trouble Will Find Me- The National
15. Tomorrow’s Harvest- Boards of Canada
16. Monomania- Deerhunter
17. Muchacho- Phosphorescent
18. We Are the 21th Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic- Foxygen
19. Engravings- Forest Swords

Good:

20. AM- Arctic Monkeys
21. Push the Sky Away- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
22. Wakin On A Pretty Daze- Kurt Vile
23. Long. Live. A$AP- A$AP Rocky
24. More Light- Primal Scream
25. Silence Yourself- Savages
26. Acid Rap- Chance the Rapper
27. Fade- Yo La Tengo
28. Run the Jewels- Run the Jewels
29. Kiss Land- The Weeknd
30. The Terror- The Flaming Lips
31. Hesitation Marks- Nine Inch Nails
32. …Like Clockwork- Queens of the Stone Age

Alright:

33. Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action- Franz Ferdinand
34. Wondrous Bughouse- Youth Lagoon
35. Amok- Atoms for Peace
36. Excavation- The Haxan Cloak
37. Comedown Machine- The Strokes
38. Stop Pretending (EP)- Default Genders
39. Bankrupt!- Phoenix
40. You’re Nothing- Iceage
41. Magna Carta… Holy Grail- Jay-Z
42. Mosquito- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Upcoming Albums:

MGMT- MGMT- September 17th
Justin Timberlake- The 20/20 Experience (2 of 2)- September 30th
Danny Brown- Old- September 30th
Sleigh Bells- Bitter Rivals- October 8th
Arcade Fire- Reflektor- October 29th
M.I.A.- Matangi- November 5th
Azealia Banks- Broke With Expensive Taste- TBA
Cloud Nothings- Body Music- TBA
Four Tet- Beautiful Rewind- TBA
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

irreduciblekoan wrote:I personally really enjoy Electric Lady. I'm not as hung up as Machine Man about the track order and the conceptual quagmires of radio vs cinematic and things like that. The radio skits don't bother me. Because of the close name-sakes and similar ambition, I found myself comparing the album to Hendrix's Electric Ladyland. Now, if you wanna talk about a sprawling album that was all over the place conceptually and sonically, that one probably takes the cake. So I forgive Electric Lady its uneven fluctuations and lack of conceptual clarity, because to me it's just emulating Hendrix's masterpiece.
I very much enjoyed my first listen of Electric Lady. The album appears to take advantage of Janelle's great vocals and has some tasty guitar efforts as well. There seems to be more of an R&B and old school emphasis in this album compared to her earlier efforts which had a bit more of a hip-hop influence. None of the songs on this album moved me as much as Cold War, but in terms of consistency, I think this album is quite good.

My top six albums this year so far are:

Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Janelle Monae - Electric Lady
Camera Obscura - Desire Lines
Foxygen - We Are the 21th Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Todd Rundgren - State
Last edited by Henry on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I was certainly one of the most anti-Suburbs on AMF, but Arcade Fire's new single is probably my favorite thing they've done since Funeral, and probably the most creative track of their entire career. I'm far more excited for the new album than I had been before.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Anyone listen to the new MGMT album? I'm listening to it right now. It's......alright. The first half is really good, but so far the second half is a huge let down. The first half sounds like a really good combination of the second half of "Oracular Spectacular", Animal Collective, and Tame Impala's newest album. The second half sounds like a meandering psychedelic mess. There's nothing on the album as good as "Time to Pretend", "Kids", or "Electric Feel"- but let's be honest- you probably already knew that.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Nick, I noticed you only named songs that were on Oracular Spectacular. What if, like me, one thought that Congratulations was the better album? Anything on there as good as, or similar to, great tunes such as Flask Delirium or Siberian Breaks? I don't want to give it a listen until there's at least a lossless download (it's just how I am; mp3s sound so bad to me) so right now I just have your words to go on.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

irreduciblekoan wrote:Nick, I noticed you only named songs that were on Oracular Spectacular. What if, like me, one thought that Congratulations was the better album? Anything on there as good as, or similar to, great tunes such as Flask Delirium or Siberian Breaks? I don't want to give it a listen until there's at least a lossless download (it's just how I am; mp3s sound so bad to me) so right now I just have your words to go on.
If you like "Congratulations" more then you might be a bit more partial to their self-titled album.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

I'm pretty much loving the new Arctic Monkeys album!
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Yeah love that Arctic Monkeys are back in their prime. So many bands with so much potential release amazing debuts and fizzle out after their sophomore slump although like the Jesus and Mary Chain they still release sensational singles. I'm really liking the new Au Revoire Simone single. What I love about them is they don't sound like they're from pretentious hipster Brooklyn and this new single actually sounded better than anything off their last release, maybe even their entire collection.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

I personally don't think Arctic Monkeys ever fizzled out. I loved Favourite Worst Nightmare and really really liked Humbug and Suck It And See. I do think AM is their best since their first or second albums, but I've been impressed by all of them and I like the development they've gone through.

And to follow up on Nick about MGMT. Well, I listened to their self-titled. As a big fan of Congratulations... I was severely disappointed by their new one. At least Congratulations had structure and tunes and melody. Speaking of fizzling out, MGMT are in trouble of doing just that.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Over at NPR there is an embarrassment of riches today. New Mazzy Star and new Au Revoir Simone, both sounding very fresh.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

I heard Chvrches stole the show at all the Brit fests they played this summer and their new album is already scoring in the 80s. I hear they're synth but are always being compared to Kate Bush like just about every female alt artist nowadays. So they have two strikes against them for me but I'll still give em a try.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Wow. I made a post about my top 20 with detailed comments about each one earlier today and it seems like it's not here. Henrik, there's problems with this site. Posts are disappearing and every time I post anything I see a bunch of scripting errors. And when I connect from Safari the site keeps dropping my cookie and forcing me to re-log in, and when it does so mid-post and I re-login it erases my post. This site has hella technical problems.

Here are my top 20 WITHOUT comments since I don't want to do the whole thing again.

1. The Knife - Shaking THe Habitual
2. Mountains - Centralia
3. Asaf Avidan - Different Pulses
4. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
5. Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace & Magic
6. Kurt Vile - Field Of Reeds
7. These New Puritans - Field of Reeds
8. Anais Mitchell - Child Ballads
9. Matthew E White - Big Inner
10. Rhye - Woman
11. The Drones - I See Seaweed
12. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
13. Ocean Colour Scene - Paintings
14. Flaming Lips - The Terror
15. Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol 3: To See More Light
16. The Haxan Cloak - Excavation
17. James Blake - Overgrown
18. Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know
19. Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
20. Fire! Orchestra - Exit
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jirin wrote:Wow. I made a post about my top 20 with detailed comments about each one earlier today and it seems like it's not here. Henrik, there's problems with this site. Posts are disappearing and every time I post anything I see a bunch of scripting errors. And when I connect from Safari the site keeps dropping my cookie and forcing me to re-log in, and when it does so mid-post and I re-login it erases my post. This site has hella technical problems.

Here are my top 20 WITHOUT comments since I don't want to do the whole thing again.

1. The Knife - Shaking THe Habitual
2. Mountains - Centralia
5. Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace & Magic
6. Kurt Vile - Field Of Reeds
8. Anais Mitchell - Child Ballads
9. Matthew E White - Big Inner
10. Rhye - Woman
11. The Drones - I See Seaweed
12. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
13. Ocean Colour Scene - Paintings
14. Flaming Lips - The Terror
15. Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol 3: To See More Light
16. The Haxan Cloak - Excavation
17. James Blake - Overgrown
18. Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know
19. Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
20. Fire! Orchestra - Exit
Jirin, you posted in the MAA 4.1 thread...

I have updated to the latest phpBB version, and it seems like the script errors disappeared for me. Let me know if you (or anyone) have further problems.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Ahh, sorry about that. Well, the site does drop my cookie pretty often and force me to re-login. And when that happens while you're writing something you lose what you wrote.

1. The Knife - Shaking The Habitual

This album has a haunting way of just sinking into your brain. The Knife take a eight year break between best albums of the year.

2. The Mountains - Centralia

There were a few good of these minimal instrumental rock records this year, Centralia really nails the emotions it tries to express.

A great album with charismatic vocals and soul-pop melodies.

Probably the first National album that was not superior to their previous effort, like the National are settling into a groove and declaring themselves veterans. But still manages to sneak up from behind with understated vocals.

5. Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic

This was my #1 for most of the year and now comes down a little, but it's still the album that captures that late 60s pop-rock feel better than other recent efforts.

6. Kurt Vile - Walkin On A Pretty Daze

Huge grower.

This indie rock album manages to conjure up such unique and mesmerizing melodies.

8. Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Damer - Child Ballads

Another folk album full of operatic songs, this time telling stories in medieval Europe involving love and magic. Not as good as Hadestown, way better than Young Man In America, all ver emotionally evocative. Might be my nomination for Best Moderately Acclaimed Album Of The Year 2013.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jirin wrote:the site does drop my cookie pretty often and force me to re-login
This almost never happens to me. Are you sure it's not an issue at your end? How about other websites you log on to?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Illiniq
Strange Fruit

Post by Illiniq »

Jirin wrote: 4. The National - Trouble Will Find Me

Probably the first National album that was not superior to their previous effort, like the National are settling into a groove and declaring themselves veterans. But still manages to sneak up from behind with understated vocals.

8. Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Damer - Child Ballads

Another folk album full of operatic songs, this time telling stories in medieval Europe involving love and magic. Not as good as Hadestown, way better than Young Man In America, all ver emotionally evocative. Might be my nomination for Best Moderately Acclaimed Album Of The Year 2013.
As to your comment on the National, completely agree, and yet, I still feel it's 2013's best album.

Didn't see Anais had another release ought...I think she's one of the most under recognized artists out there right now...will have to check this out.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

The National - Trouble Will Find Me 7/10 Sorry, I don't know why but I never able to really love this band.
Junip - Junip 7,5/10 Hypnotic !
Savages - Silence Yourself 8/10 Exciting.
The Virgins - Strike Gently 8,5/10 A very great album with a lot of intertainment.
The Strokes - Comedown Machine 8,5/10 A very very pleasant surprise. I really dislike their previous effort but this one is excellent.
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City 7/10 Good but not I don't fell in love like their previous album.
Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action 8,5/10 Un sans-faute !
MGMT - MGMT 7/10 A little deception for me
Endless Boogie - Long Island 6,5/10 An old school album. Too "hard" for me.

Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends 9/10

Jacco Gardner - Cabinet Of Curiosities 8,5/10
Asaf Avidan - Different Pulses 8,5/10
David Bowie - The Next Day 8,5/10
Ólafur Arnalds - For Now I Am Winter 8,5/10
Deerhunter - Monomania 8,5/10
Suede - Bloodsports 8,5/10
The Strokes - Comedown Machine 8,5/10
Atom For Peace - Amok 8,5/10
Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action 8,5/10
The Virgins - Strike Gently 8,5/10

Allah-Las - Allah-Las 8/10
Aline - Regarde Le Ciel 8/10
Cold War Kids - Dear Miss Lonelyhearts 8/10
Sigur Ros - Kveikur 8/10
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine 8/10
Woodkid - The Golden Age 8/10
Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away 8/10
Matthew E. White - Big Inner 8/10
Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork 8/10
Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace and Magic 8/10
Savages - Silence Yourself 8/10

Albin de la Simone - Un homme7,5/10
Devendra Banhart - Mala 7,5/10
Eels - Wonderful, Glorious 7,5/10
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II 7,5/10
Alex Beaupain - Après Moi, le Déluge 7,5/10
Junip - Junip 7,5/10

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City 7/10
The National - Trouble Will Find Me 7/10
Sweet Baboo - Ships 7/10
Granville - Les voiles 7/10
Arman Méliès - AM IV 7/10
Iggy and The Stooges - Ready to Die 7/10
The National - Trouble Will Find Me 7/10
MGMT - MGMT 7/10

Foals - Holy Fire 6,5/10
Daft Punk - Random Access Memory 6,5/10
Endless Boogie - Long Island 6,5/10
Phoenix - Bankrupt 6/10
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast 6/10
Rachid Taha - Zoom 6/10
The Virginmarys - King of Conflict 5,5/10
Camera Obscura - Desire Lines 5,5/10
Editors - The Weight of Your Love 5/10
Villagers - Awayland 5/10
The Knike - Shaking The Habitual 5/10
My Bloody Valentine - M B V 4,5/10
Darwin Deez - Song for imaginary people 4/10
Jamie Lidell - Jamie Lidell 3,5/10
Toro y Moi - Anything in return 3/10
Suuns - Images du futur 3/10
The Flaming Lips - The Terror 2,5/10

Kanye West - Yeezus 0/10
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Romain wrote:The National - Trouble Will Find Me 7/10 Sorry, I don't know why but I never able to really love this band.
Junip - Junip 7,5/10 Hypnotic !
Savages - Silence Yourself 8/10 Exciting.
The Virgins - Strike Gently 8,5/10 A very great album with a lot of intertainment.
The Strokes - Comedown Machine 8,5/10 A very very pleasant surprise. I really dislike their previous effort but this one is excellent.
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City 7/10 Good but not I don't fell in love like their previous album.
Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action 8,5/10 Un sans-faute !
MGMT - MGMT 7/10 A little deception for me
Endless Boogie - Long Island 6,5/10 An old school album. Too "hard" for me.
You still haven't listened to the best French album of the year, La Femme - Psycho Tropical Berlin ?
Inadmissible ! Allez au boulot, hop hop hop.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

I'm on holidays, which means more time to listen to music. Three new albums today are making my top ten (Which looks nothing like anyone else's top ten), along with one from last week. September Rocks!

So Far:

1.) Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle
2.) Torres - Torres
3.) The National - Trouble Will Find Me
4.) Grouplove - Spreading Rumours
5.) Au Revoir Simone - Move In Spectrums
6.) Phosphorescent - Muchacho
7.) Savages - Silence Yourself
8.) Mazzy Star - Seasons of Your Day
9.) Deer Tick - Negativity
10.) Civil Wars - Civil Wars

Seven of ten are female-fronted bands or male/female vocal duos ... what a year for women.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Anyone listen to the new Neko Case album?? It's goooood :D
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I am very much looking forward to listening to the new Arcade Fire album. 4.5 stars from Rolling Stone at http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... newsletter
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Rolling Stone knows the album is going to stir up hype. The wanted the first review so they can seem ahead of the curb like with the White Stripes' Elephant. I'm seriously doubting anyone actually listened to the entire album over at RS. Watch if the reviews for this album are decent to so so I could totally picture them giving their next album 3.5 stars. Their "cop out" rating.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

DocBrown wrote:I'm on holidays, which means more time to listen to music.
Same here when it comes to holidays, but the result is the opposite. Not just less time, but no time at all for new music. Been traveling in the US all the time. Now I'm on the airport to head back to Europe where I can do some catching up, hopefully.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

luvulongTIM wrote:Rolling Stone knows the album is going to stir up hype. The wanted the first review so they can seem ahead of the curb like with the White Stripes' Elephant. I'm seriously doubting anyone actually listened to the entire album over at RS. Watch if the reviews for this album are decent to so so I could totally picture them giving their next album 3.5 stars. Their "cop out" rating.
I don't know- that review had a lot of specifics about songs that would be impossible to know without actually listening to them.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Ah! things Rolling Stone Magazine do to artists that they already consider veterans and established with their audience. All this writer did was namedrop other people and quote lyrics. The hype for this is already building. In my opinion, The Suburbs was an uneven record. The album had its fair share of highs, but most of the tracks didn't match the quality of the title-track or We Used to Wait and Sprawl-II; also, the album had a weaker middle section, full of songs that never fully set them apart from each other. I think Reflektor might be hyped a lot and end up overshadowing it in the long-run; The Suburbs is already faded to lose power over My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and The Archandroid for best record of 2010, so, may this album receive an overwhelming positive reception from critics, I can see The Suburbs being reminded more as Arcade Fire's mainstream breakthrough rather than their second masterpiece after Funeral -- since Neon Bible has been kind of cementing its reputation as the underrated record of their catalogue. For now, I don't see a backlash coming for the band, only critics following Rolling Stone magazine's reaction -- I think even Pitchfork will fully restore the love for the band and have a record by them scored higher than 9 and placed inside the their top 10 of best records of the year since 2004; n the very least, I believe it will match a reception to that of Kanye West's Yeezus. Let's wait and see if this whole anticipation is worthy or not.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

HRS wrote:The Suburbs is already faded to lose power over My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and The Archandroid for best record of 2010.
I wonder why MBDTF is rated so low currently.
I feel like that
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

PlasticRam wrote: I wonder why MBDTF is rated so low currently.
I've wondered the same thing. However, I think it will rise in the next update, especially after Entertainment Weekly ranked it number 8 all time.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

PlasticRam wrote:
HRS wrote:The Suburbs is already faded to lose power over My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and The Archandroid for best record of 2010.
I wonder why MBDTF is rated so low currently.
MBDTF was release relatively late (late November I think) while lots of end of year lists were already published, or at least soon to be published (and thus votes were already in quite likely). A few sites and magazines compensate that by including albums from Nov and Dec of the previous year in the EOY year poll, but most don't.
Same happened for Undun by the Roots which would be at least top 2000 otherwise.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The only reason it's rated so high is because of Kanye West's brilliant grasp of how to use the internet to hype yourself.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jirin wrote:The only reason it's rated so high is because of Kanye West's brilliant grasp of how to use the internet to hype yourself.
Not to call you out here or anything Jirin, but this is always an attitude that I've encountered throughout many music critic based discussions. The kind of attitude that goes-

"The critics liked an album I like? The critics really know what they're talking about here! Oh, the critics liked an album I didn't like? The critics are weak minded fools who can't see past simple marketing gimmicks."

I'm exaggerating, that's obvious. But this is always been an attitude that hasn't sat well with me, so I felt like I needed to say something. Or maybe it's because I think "MBDTF" is the greatest album of the past 5 years.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

luvulongTIM wrote:Rolling Stone knows the album is going to stir up hype. The wanted the first review so they can seem ahead of the curb like with the White Stripes' Elephant. I'm seriously doubting anyone actually listened to the entire album over at RS. Watch if the reviews for this album are decent to so so I could totally picture them giving their next album 3.5 stars. Their "cop out" rating.
RS weren't even the first ones to review it. Uncut and Q have also published reviews of Reflektor. So press copies have obviously been out there to listen to.

Interestingly, however, while the Uncut and Q reviews were simply "good" (7/10 and 3 stars, respectively), RS is the only rave review so far.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

the hype was undoubtedly huge, but the record was even bigger.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

irreduciblekoan wrote:
RS weren't even the first ones to review it. Uncut and Q have also published reviews of Reflektor. So press copies have obviously been out there to listen to.

Interestingly, however, while the Uncut and Q reviews were simply "good" (7/10 and 3 stars, respectively), RS is the only rave review so far.

WOW! Really? Not good. Looks like the reviews wont be as high as I thought they'd be since these publications seem to give out 4 star reviews (or 8/10) left and right just like EW in the US.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

luvulongTIM wrote:
irreduciblekoan wrote:

WOW! Really? Not good. Looks like the reviews wont be as high as I thought they'd be since these publications seem to give out 4 star reviews (or 8/10) left and right just like EW in the US.
There is a song by song review on LesInrocks' website, no grade given but safe for one song, all the descriptions are full of superlatives.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Anyone else feel like 2013 is shaping up to be a year with a lot of very good releases, but not so many really, REALLY great releases? Anyway, here's my list of albums I've heard from this year now that I've hit 50 albums-

Excellent:

1. MBV- My Bloody Valentine
2. Modern Vampires of the City- Vampire Weekend
3. Random Access Memories- Daft Punk

Great:

4. Settle- Disclosure
5. Yeezus- Kanye West
6. Kveikur- Sigur Ros

Very Good:

7. The Electric Lady- Janelle Monae
8. Overgrown- James Blake
9. Sunbather- Deafheaven
10. Shaking the Habitual- The Knife
11. The 20/20 Experience- Justin Timberlake
12. Slow Focus- Fuck Buttons
13. Trouble Will Find Me- The National
14. The Next Day- David Bowie
15. Cupid’s Head- The Field
16. AM- Arctic Monkeys
17. Old- Danny Brown
18. Tomorrow’s Harvest- Boards of Canada
19. Monomania- Deerhunter
20. Muchacho- Phosphorescent
21. We Are the 21th Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic- Foxygen
22. Engravings- Forest Swords

Good:

23. Push the Sky Away- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
24. Wakin On A Pretty Daze- Kurt Vile
25. Long. Live. A$AP- A$AP Rocky
26. More Light- Primal Scream
27. Silence Yourself- Savages
28. Acid Rap- Chance the Rapper
29. Fade- Yo La Tengo
30. Run the Jewels- Run the Jewels
31. The Terror- The Flaming Lips
32. …Like Clockwork- Queens of the Stone Age
33. Born Sinner- J. Cole
34. Beautiful Rewind- Four Tet
35. Factory Floor- Factory Floor
36. Hesitation Marks- Nine Inch Nails

Alright:

37. MGMT- MGMT
38. Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action- Franz Ferdinand
39. Wondrous Bughouse- Youth Lagoon
40. Amok- Atoms for Peace
41. Excavation- The Haxan Cloak
42. Comedown Machine- The Strokes
43. The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2- Justin Timberlake
44. Kiss Land- The Weeknd
45. Bitter Rivals- Sleigh Bells
46. Stop Pretending (EP)- Default Genders
47. Bankrupt!- Phoenix
48. You’re Nothing- Iceage
49. Magna Carta… Holy Grail- Jay-Z
50. Mosquito- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

And here's what's got me excited-

Reflektor- Arcade Fire- October 29th

Matangi- M.I.A.- November 5th

Free Your Mind- Cut Copy- November 5th

Five Spanish Songs (EP)- Destroyer- November 29th

Broke With Expensive Taste- Azealia Banks- TBA

TBA- Cloud Nothings- TBA
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Julia Holter's Loud City Song just keeps getting better. It's my number 4 now for the year, which would be her second straight top 5 album. I'm not sure whether I'll end up liking it more than Ekstasis--both albums are just otherworldly and I'm sure that debate will vex her fans for years to come.

I also finally listened to Forest Swords' Engravings. It was as great as I expected from the reviews and singles, and I'll probably end up liking it more than Daggar Paths, which made my top 10 for 2010. He's accumulating a nice under-the-radar discography.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Love Loud City Song too. Top of my list so far and it has really put into perspective how much I'd been overrating some of my other favourites this year. Really hope it does well in all the EoY lists.
Nick wrote:Anyone else feel like 2013 is shaping up to be a year with a lot of very good releases, but not so many really, REALLY great releases? Anyway, here's my list of albums I've heard from this year now that I've hit 50 albums...
Yeah, that's very understandable. This year is feeling a lot more like 2011 to me, which I feel really didn't have as many obvious top-grade releases as either 2010 or 2012. Maybe many of this year's releases will take a little longer to unravel their brilliance and there's still hope yet for the upcoming months. Including the aforementioned Arcade Fire release, the week of October 28th/29th in particular is lining-up several exciting releases all on its own:

Laurel Halo - Chance of Rain
Los Campesinos! - No Blues
Robert Glasper Experiment - Black Radio 2
Russian Circles - Memorial
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Blue Record
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

The new Justin Timberlake was pretty awful honestly. I just found it extremely boring and uninteresting. I feel as if all the effort went into part 1, and he packaged his leftovers into another "album"

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”