Albums of 2013

Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Re: Albums of 2013

Post by Zorg »

The National are back! On May 20th, we will be treated to "Trouble Will Find Me".
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Stephan wrote:Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
What if they go electro-indiepop too, Stephan? :D

Great news, indeed - and crazy album cover!
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

i kinda liked the dark bleakness of the Alligator and Boxer covers, it felt hush hush. The white of High Violet and the new one are alien to me! But no matter. Trouble Will Find Me is the album I'm looking forward to most this year.

and with the Vampire Weekend and now the Deerhunter announcements, 2010 is back! All we need now is Janelle...
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Can't wait for the new National, they've been on a hot streak for about a decade. I even like Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers. Love that album cover too.

I can't get into the new Bowie. It reminds me of Love This Giant: Not bad, very quirky, but very forced.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I like that cover! I went like...

1. Oh, that's disgusting
2. Oh, it's not that disgusting
3. Um, it's still a bit disgusting
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

There are new albums announced by Sigur Ros and Queens of the Stone Age, too. Talk about some great-regarded returning acts for this first semester!

Excited for Deerhunter and -- to a lesser-extent after the uneven Contra -- Vampire Weekend.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

1. Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
2. Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away
3. Matthew E White - Big Inner
4. Parquet Courts - LIght Up Gold
5. Mountains - Centralia
6. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
7. Ben Harper - Get Up!
8. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob
9. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
10. Riverside - Shrine of the New Generation Slaves

Only heard once so far but excellent:
Allah-las - Allah-has
Asaf Avidan - Different Pulse
Richard Thompson - Electric
Mindrocker
Let's Get It On

Post by Mindrocker »

It still kinda early in the year but as others have pointed out 2013 seems already a better year than the rather ordinary 2012. My top 5 so far:

01. RETRIBUTION GOSPEL CHOIR - 3
02. B-MOVIE ORCHESTRA - The Ultimate In Thrilling, Erotic And Raunchy Film Music!
03. CULT OF LUNA - Vertikal
04. Falty DL - Hardcourage
05. PANTHA DU PRINCE & THE BELL LABORATORY - Elements Of Light
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Yes the Richard Thompson album is fantastic even better after the second listen . Could have been recorded in 1969.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Now we have Daft Punk returning in May!
FinnsMusic
Superunknown

Post by FinnsMusic »

Seems like it's already a great year for country... would highly recommend "Same Trailer Different Park" by Kacey Musgraves, and "Like a Rose" by Ashley Monroe is getting very good reviews...
Currently listening to albums from 2012 to stay 'up-to-date' with culture, as well as 'classic' electronic and indie albums, the additional hip hop record here and there, as well as my collection of comedy albums, from Louie C.K. to Bill Cosby.

guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Ashley Monroe's "Like A Rose" is incredible!!! And I'm also in love with Bowie's "The Next Day"
Immerse your soul in love. No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts.
dumbangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by dumbangel »

1. Jacco Gardner - Cabinet of Curiosities
2. Ron Sexsmith - Forever Endeavour
3. Suede - Bloodsports
4. Rhye - Woman
5. The James Hunter Six - Minute By Minute
6. Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic
7. Ed Harcourt - Back Into the Woods
8. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)
9. John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
10. Foals - Holy Fire
11. Josh Rouse - The Happiness Waltz
12. Depeche Mode - Delta Machine
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

The last year, I only talked about the albums I loved, this year, I'm going to make a list with all the albums I listened.

David Bowie - The Next Day 8,5/10 The album grow on me each time I listen it.
Atom For Peace - Amok 8/10 Surprisly good.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast 6/10 Nothing original but some great songs
Villagers - Awayland 5/10 Very very tepid.
Toro y Moi - Anything in return 3/10 Very disapointing
Suuns - Images du futur 3/10 Like thier previous effort, I was deeply annoyed by this one.
The Flaming Lips - The Terror 2,5/10 If this thing doesn't have the name "Flaming Lips" I would not have listened to more than 2 minutes.

The list :
Asaf Avidan - Different Pulses 9/10
David Bowie - The Next Day 8,5/10
Allah-Las - Allah-Las 8/10
Aline - Regarde Le Ciel 8/10
Atom For Peace - Amok 8/10
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II 7,5/10
Granville - Les voiles 7/10
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast 6/10
The Virginmarys - King of Conflict 5,5/10
Villagers - Awayland 5/10
Toro y Moi - Anything in return 3/10
Suuns - Images du futur 3/10
The Flaming Lips - The Terror 2,5/10
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Throughout the weekend I've been listening to the Top 10 of 2013 albums that otisredding is compiling. I've enjoyed it a lot, especially:
- Three brilliant exercises on styles usually not too appreciated by the critics: sophisti-pop (the excellent "Woman"), soft-rock ("Big Inner") and even prog-rock ("The Raven That Refused to Sing").
- Two albums from artists/bands that showcases their permanent state of inspiration that last for decades and still got no signs of exhaustion ("Push the Sky Away" and "Fade").
- Two long-awaited comebacks that in my opinion are good but not great ("m b v" and "The Next Day").

The rest of the Top 10 got interesting things too:
- The drone-based dream-pop of "The Man Who Died in His Boat" is very original but it gets boring after a while.
- The funny albums, the punk-pop "Light Up Gold" and the synth-pop "Anxiety," were also very good within its own styles but on a first listen they failed to cause an impact on me.

If I had to rank the albums the ranking could be:
1. Rhye - Woman
2. Yo La Tengo - Fade
3. Matthew E. White - Big Inner
4. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
5. David Bowie - The Next Day
6. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
7. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
8. Grouper - The Man Who Died in His Boat
9. Autre Ne Veut – Anxiety
10. Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

The Knife's Shaking the Habitual is streaming; I'm listening to it right now and so far sounds like a clash of the nordics with afrobeat tribes - and let's just pretend that the 19 minutes drone track and similars are the sounds produced by two forces clashing. :D
Greg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Greg »

The First Quarter...

1. Killah Priest - The Psychic World of Walter Reed
2. Richard Thompson - Electric
3. Suede - Bloodsports
4. David Bowie - The Next Day
5. Ashley Monroe - Like a Rose
6. Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park
7. Yo La Tengo - Fade
8. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
9. Daniel Romano - Come Cry with Me
10. Cult of Luna - Vertikal
11. The James Hunter Six - Minute by Minute
12. Charles Bradley - Victim of Love
13. The Flaming Lips - The Terror
14. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
15. Bassekou Kouyate & Ngona Ba - Jama Ko
16. Josh Rouse - The Happiness Waltz
17. Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell - Old Yellow Moon
18. A$AP Rocky - Long.Live.A$AP
19. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
20. The Mavericks - In Time
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

The Knife...what IS it?

What a weird, weird album.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

I got halfway through the Knife album last night, but I finally had to call it quits midway through that twenty-minute track and go to bed. I'll finish it tonight, but I imagine it's going to take me a lot longer to form a coherent opinion about it. I'm still feeling pretty confused about the whole thing, and I even liked Tomorrow in a Year.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

I can see where you're both coming from. Based on first opinions, there is an undeniable quality to many of the songs there but the combined sequencing of memorable vocal tracks, short bursts of wailing sound and long, slow-building instrumentals can come across like a very splintered, endurance test - as if the band intentionally wanted to test its listeners. I imagine the initiated who loved them from the get-go will see this as a masterpiece but those who are yet to be fully converted may find it to be convoluted.

For those that are interested, the stream for the album 'Shaking the Habitual', can be found here.

EDIT: Yeah, given this a few more spins and while I love most of the tracks their experimental tendencies after the first five songs really cripple the album's clarity and cohesion for me. At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, the album plays much better by ditching tracks 7 & 12 - recommended to those who found it all a little too laborious.

-----

Elsewhere in the world of electronic music, James Blake's new album is causing quite a stir. Some of my favourite critical outlets have already given it top marks. Anyone agree with all the positive feedback it's getting?
Last edited by Matski on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

I've heard Kurt Vile's new album, and while I can't remember very much of it quite yet, the first song is utterly stunning. Smoke Ring For My Halo was my favourite album of 2011, and this seems like a suitable follow-up.
Amoux
Are You Experienced?

Post by Amoux »

Haven't listened to James Blake's new album, although I too noticed the positive reviews,

I know it might seem petty, but I've never been able to forgive James Blake for slaughtering Joni Mitchells' "A Case of You". I don't generally like his vocals - I think his voice would appeal more if he utilised it differently. They're sometimes too all over the place for me personally.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

I was listening yesterday to The National's High Violet in vinyl once more this month and I really enjoyed every single moment of it; that album was one of those definitions to the word 'grower' for my ears. Back in 2010, I couldn't get past Anyone's Ghost; judged the album as a disappointment compared to the greatness of Boxer and Alligator. Now, I feel like it's more than just on pair with those two records -- that I want to add to my collection soon! Maybe it's my all time favorite by them and I would place it just behind Have One on Me as my favorite record of 2010. They have a new song out and it's their signature sound put into practice once again. The band gave up the detail that they were much more comfortable while making this record, and by this first look it sounds like it.
Amoux wrote:Haven't listened to James Blake's new album, although I too noticed the positive reviews,

I know it might seem petty, but I've never been able to forgive James Blake for slaughtering Joni Mitchells' "A Case of You". I don't generally like his vocals - I think his voice would appeal more if he utilised it differently. They're sometimes too all over the place for me personally.
He reinvented Feist's Limit to Your Love in a way I admire him for doing it. I don't listen to that version often, but it took the coffee-shop approach of that song to other levels. That being said, A Case of You is one of the most naked, raw and emotional powerful moments in popular music, in my opinion; his version didn't make it any favors, sounded closer to American Idol-ish show off than the emotional powerhouse that is the original -- and speeding up the phrases was not a good idea, was like the song couldn't breath. Perhaps I'm biased, since Joni Mitchell's 60-70s albums streak is easily one of my top 5 favorites of all time and she's inside my top 3.

Back to Blake, I found his debut album uneven; for every Wilhelm Scream there were two pointless tracks with faux-profound one-liners repeated over an ambient production. I also found the record mostly forgetful. So far, the samples from this new record sound more melodic and less underdeveloped
Last edited by HRS on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Stuff I've Heard From This Year:

Great:

1. MBV- My Bloody Valentine
2. Overgrown- James Blake

Very Good:

3. Muchacho- Phosphorescent
4. The Next Day- David Bowie
5. The 20/20 Experience- Justin Timberlake
6. We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic- Foxygen
7. Push the Sky Away- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
8. Long. Live. A$AP- A$AP Rocky

Good:

9. Shaking the Habitual- The Knife
10. Wondrous Bughouse- Youth Lagoon
11. Amok- Atoms for Peace
12. Fade- Yo La Tengo
13. The Terror- The Flaming Lips

Alright:

14. Comedown Machine- The Strokes
15. You're Nothing- Iceage

Stuff I'm Looking Forward To Later This Year:

M.I.A.- Matangi- April 15th
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Mosquito- April 16th
Phoenix- Bankrupt!- April 22nd
Deerhunter- Monomania- May 7th
Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City- May 14th
Daft Punk- Random Access Memories- May 17th
The National- Trouble Will Find Me- May 20th
Queens of the Stone Age- …Like Clockwork- June 3rd
Sigur Ros- Kveikur- June 17th
MGMT- MGMT- June
Arcade Fire- TBA- Summer/Fall
Janelle Monae- The Electric Lady- TBA
Azealia Banks- Broke With Expensive Taste- TBA
The Weeknd- Kiss Land- TBA
Nine Inch Nails- TBA- TBA
Franz Ferdinand- TBA- TBA
Cloud Nothings- TBA- TBA
Amoux
Are You Experienced?

Post by Amoux »

HRS, I agree with everything you said and I am happy that there is someone here with as much appreciation for Joni Mitchell as myself. ;)

So I gave the new James Blake album a complete runthrough - I think it deserves that much. Allmusic calls it an understated album which is a good description of it I think. I'd say it's also pretty boring. It's no doubt an improvement from the debut and probably rewards repeated listens. I'll give it a 5/10 for now.

Gotta admit I haven't listened to many albums this year. Only MBV, this album and half of Shaking the Habitual. I was really enjoying The Knife's new album until it got to the 20 minute track. I've realised that my attention span hasn't been as good as it used to be - I'm finding it increasingly difficult to sit through all these minimalistic tracks.

Going to listen to M.I.A - Matangi when it comes out this month. The mixtape was pretty promising.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

A lot of artists have taken to only releasing one or two songs off an album on Spotify.

I don't get this. Why would one ever buy an album if you haven't been able to hear it first? Who makes a full purchase based on an album having one or two good songs on it? I mean, other than teenagers in the 90s.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Daft Punk will have a listening party (for over 4000 people!) of R.A.M. in Wee Waa, Australia.

http://www.crossingtheatre.com.au/Events/events1.html

It's only a 7 hour drive away, highly considering it.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

The new Kurt Vile = big wow. My personal album of the year so far.

I was just talking to a friend last week about how, with rock music, I judge on two things mostly: guitar solos and lyrics. The better one is, the more I'll forgive the lack of the other. At least in the old days most bands played guitar solos so average lyrics were fine. These days nary an artist/band has guitar solos in their music, so lyrics have become more important to me for newer music, which leaves me disappointed at most music these days. Kurt Vile, however, has both great lyrics and guitar solos, so it's an album I would immediately be drawn to.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

jamieW wrote:For those who like the new Steven Wilson album (and I'm happy to see it getting so much attention, since I've been a Porcupine Tree fan for a while now), I would like to recommend the new album by Big Big Train, "English Electric Part Two." I thought Part One last year was great, but I liked this one even better. (For those who don't know Big Big Train, I wonder if you'll be struck by just how much the lead singer sounds like Peter Gabriel, which is a good thing to my ears!) I have a lot of 2013 listening to catch up on once I finish school, but this is my personal favorite album of the year so far.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm still catching up and listening to English Electric Part One. Sounds great so far.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Henry wrote:
jamieW wrote:For those who like the new Steven Wilson album (and I'm happy to see it getting so much attention, since I've been a Porcupine Tree fan for a while now), I would like to recommend the new album by Big Big Train, "English Electric Part Two." I thought Part One last year was great, but I liked this one even better. (For those who don't know Big Big Train, I wonder if you'll be struck by just how much the lead singer sounds like Peter Gabriel, which is a good thing to my ears!) I have a lot of 2013 listening to catch up on once I finish school, but this is my personal favorite album of the year so far.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm still catching up and listening to English Electric Part One. Sounds great so far.
Glad you're enjoying it, Henry. I know it's a little off-topic with the albums of 2013, but if you like neo-prog music like Big Big Train and Steven Wilson, I'd be curious to hear what you think of this song, since I always felt that it was Steven Wilson's shining moment (with Porcupine Tree). The song (fittingly called "Sentimental") manages to be bleak, gloomy, eerie, melodic, and somehow beautiful all at the same time. If you do like it, it's off of the 2007 album "Fear of a Blank Planet," which I think is also outstanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ITNnBRveU
mattadam
Start Me Up

Post by mattadam »

Just listened to the new single 'Dont Swallow the Cap' off the new National album via YouTube...not as good as the greatness of Boxer or High Violet IMO...Im a fan too...seen them live twice...I guess it was just one song though

Muchacho by Phosphorescent and Wakin on a Pretty Daze by Kurt Vile are both superb
Best album of 2013: Reflektor by Arcade Fire

How did it only get an 80 on metacritic!?
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

jamieW wrote: Steven Wilson's shining moment (with Porcupine Tree). The song (fittingly called "Sentimental") manages to be bleak, gloomy, eerie, melodic, and somehow beautiful all at the same time. If you do like it, it's off of the 2007 album "Fear of a Blank Planet," which I think is also outstanding.

Thanks for the recommendation. I very much enjoyed "Sentimental" but I am not yet able to agree that it is outstanding. Perhaps after a few more listens.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Henry wrote:
jamieW wrote: Steven Wilson's shining moment (with Porcupine Tree). The song (fittingly called "Sentimental") manages to be bleak, gloomy, eerie, melodic, and somehow beautiful all at the same time. If you do like it, it's off of the 2007 album "Fear of a Blank Planet," which I think is also outstanding.

Thanks for the recommendation. I very much enjoyed "Sentimental" but I am not yet able to agree that it is outstanding. Perhaps after a few more listens.
I think I had the exact same reaction the first time I heard it. (I liked it, but nowhere near to the level that I do now.) Thanks for listening!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

After enjoying quite a lot the Top 10 of the MCCh 2013 list (see my last post on this thread) I tried to continue but I got extremely bored with the next 5 albums. I don't get why the critics give so much acclaim to new artists that uses post-punk or synth-pop as only references while they simply ignore so many artists that use other references that are perceived as regressive or uncool. After all post-punk or synth-pop are old styles (more than 30 years!!) that moreover were overplayed in recent years. But that's another whole debate.
So I went to the Rockdelux recommendations from last month issue and I found three albums that I enjoyed quite a lot and I would like to share with you. You can argue that there are not so original but at least you can find here paths that not so many people walked before unlike the crowded roads of post-punk and synth-pop. Styles like a cappella, rebetiko, sea shanties… Come in, don't be afraid.

Petra Haden - Petra Goes to the Movies

A very interesting work, Petra Haden recreates diverse movie soundtracks only with her voice (with isolated collaborations from Brad Mehldau, Bill Frisell and -her father- Charlie Haden). These three songs with instrumental backing are quite good but the most amazing are the a cappella numbers. She is not afraid to jump on instrumental works from Lalo Schiffrin, Bernard Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, Nino Rota, John Barry or John Williams. Not every track works, some of them sound too forced, but the amazing vocal range of Petra and her ability to recreate vocally many different instruments are remarkable. Hey, Henrik, I'm sure you will like this.

The Spotify link and the You Tube full album stream

Vinicio Capossela - Rebetiko gymnastas

A truly fascinating work. Vinicio Capossela, probably the most interesting Italian artist right now turn his eyes to Greek Rebetiko style, a style that carries the perfume of the Mediterranean Sea and the tragic halo of the music from the damned (a common trait with other styles than come from dark taverns like -let say- Argentinian tango, Portuguese fado, Irish ballads, Mexican ranchera, Spanish flamenco or American blues). Vinicio sings accompanied by double bass, accordion, buzuki (the Greek master Manolis Pappos) and electric guitar (no less than Marc Ribot) pieces from his previous albums adapted to the style and surprising covers like two Argentinian songs and (notably) "Misirlou." Hey, Dan, I'm sure you will like this.

A You Tube playlist

Various – Sons of Rogues Gallery. Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys

Every tribute album produced by Hal Willner is a special event, with so many great artists answering to his call. After tributes to Nino Rota, Thelonious Monk, Kurt Weill, Disney films, Charles Mingus, Harold Arlen or Harry Smith it came "Rogues Gallery" in 2006, a collection of pirate songs. This second part is even better than the first one and the quality of the guests is impressive. Some names: Shane MacGowan, Tom Waits, Keith Richards, Iggy Pop (those first four would make four perfect old pirates, lol), Patti Smith, Michael Stipe, Courtney Love, Beth Orton, Macy Gray, Todd Rundgren, Marianne Faithfull, Michael Gira, Nick Cave or Mary Margaret O'Hara. And many more: 37 songs and 139 minutes (of pure sonic pleasure). Hey, nicolas, I'm sure you will like this.

The Spotify link and the official You Tube full album stream of Disc 1 and Disc 2.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Honorio wrote:Hey, Dan, I'm sure you will like this.
I do!! And now I know which album from 2013 I'll listen to first!

I enjoyed reading your post, Honorio. Thanks in particular for this accurate observation...
Honorio wrote:I don't get why the critics give so much acclaim to new artists that uses post-punk or synth-pop as only references while they simply ignore so many artists that use other references that are perceived as regressive or uncool. After all post-punk or synth-pop are old styles (more than 30 years!!) that moreover were overplayed in recent years.
...will keep us together.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

And I indeed love this Psycho remake too! Actually, I heard it yesterday already when I saw in my Spotify activity list what you were listening to. :P
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Many thanks for your quick answer, my friends. Glad you liked the recommendations...
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

There was a lot of buzz in France around La Femme much waited first album and it wasn't disappointing at all (and in all honesty, I expected it to be). I really feared all songs would sound the same but they found a way to make their "surf-punk" both coherent and varied, some lyrics are a bit lame but others are surprisingly witty, the music is pretty exciting and that's a great throwback, as bizarre as fun, to the best of French 80s pop (Etienne Daho, Taxi Girl, Rita Mitsouko, Jacno and such... heck even early Lio).
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

No genre is old if you make it your own.

The Knife's new album is pretty awesome, I'm still looking for a way to hear Flaming Lips, James Blake and Kurt Vile before plopping any money down on them.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jirin wrote:'m still looking for a way to hear Flaming Lips, James Blake and Kurt Vile before plopping any money down on them.
Try grooveshark, that's what I use for listening to albums.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Wow, nice new suggestions to (try to) check out!

I found the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs rather uneven. Some of the tracks have poor construction, sounding underdeveloped. The title track captured the energy of Fever to Tell in a rather kitschy way; there are some synthetisers present and they are mostly put to good use in the boderline-annoying Always and the tender Subway - the latter being further evidence that YYYs don't need much to be powerful. I still find the gospel moment in Sacrilege rather tacky, but it is still a nice anthem. The rest of the record wasn't very much memorable and the James Murphy produced Buried Alive featuring rapper Dr Octagon is a career-low to all involved. Other highlights include These Paths and Under the Earth. 5/10

The new Deerhunter record is my current favorite of the year. So far, Monomania lacks the clean production and the incredible highs of Halcyon Digest. It sounds closer to the guitar moments of Microcastle and sounds more like a logical follow up that record than their celebrated 2010 album was. At first I didn't know if this record was consistently great or mediocre, but I had such a blast time with their approach to guitar music; it's the best full-fledged indie rock album I've heard in a long time. I have bad news for those who expected more of the ambient influenced songs and the minor electronic tendencies of the last record and Atlas Sound, since they are mostly gone. The atmosphere is now tinged with a strong 60s garage flavor filtred through noise music. They have the hooks and Monomania is the most immediate batch of songs released in 2013. May this be a grower! 8/10
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I finally got to hear James Blake's album.

I was lukewarm on his first album, but Overgrown is awesome. It takes all the things that worked in the first album and puts them into a much better composed context.

Kurt Vile's album is good too. Still need to hear Flaming Lips and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

It's exciting, looks like all the artists who released albums in 2010 are releasing albums in 2013. Could shape up to be a great year.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

If you don't mind track-by-track intros, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs posted an entire stream of their new album on Youtube.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Anyone love the new Flaming Lips as much as I do? I'm speaking as someone who definitely isn't a big fan of the band. The only album of theirs I can fully enjoy all the way through (before this one) is Soft Bulletin. Embryonic, overly long. Yoshimi, didn't reward repeat listens. Mystics, yuck. Their early work? Uneven. When I read that The Terror was a darker Flaming Lips with strange elements, I didn't know what to think. Would that mean overly ambitious yet uneven, like many of their more experimental work? But no, it's a beautiful album all the way through. Pleasantly surprised.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Everything from 'In a Priest Driven Ambulance' onwards has been worth a few listens and even those considered by many to be on the lower end of their oeuvre since ('Hit to Death in the Future Head', 'At War with the Mystics') had their moments. While I won't disagree with people saying their best work is 'The Soft Bulletin', my favourite has always been 'Clouds Taste Metallic'. End-to-end full of wonderful songs, it hits a solid middle ground between their playful/scuzzy earlier sound and the more-polished, crystalline pop of the last fifteen years.

As for the 'The Terror', in comparison to all their other studio albums it's a solid four star album for me.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Siw new albums this week.

Depeche Mode - Delta Machine 8,5/10 As good as Playing the Angel, a great album by this great band.
Matthew E. White - Big Inner 8/10 How this guy doesn't be more well known? His music is fabulous.
Devendra Banhart - Mala 7,5/10 As usual, a lot of great songs with beautiful melodies.
Eels - Wonderful, Glorious 7,5/10 A mix between Tom waits and Beck. This guy know how to make good songs.
My Bloody Valentine - M B V 4,5/10 Definitively not my cup of tea (not so different that easy listening)
Jamie Lidell - Jamie Lidell 3,5/10 A lot of noise for nothing

The complete list :

Asaf Avidan - Different Pulses 9/10
David Bowie - The Next Day 8,5/10
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine 8,5/10
Allah-Las - Allah-Las 8/10
Aline - Regarde Le Ciel 8/10
Matthew E. White - Big Inner 8/10
Atom For Peace - Amok 8/10
Devendra Banhart - Mala 7,5/10
Eels - Wonderful, Glorious 7,5/10
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II 7,5/10
Granville - Les voiles 7/10

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast 6/10
The Virginmarys - King of Conflict 5,5/10
Villagers - Awayland 5/10
My Bloody Valentine - M B V 4,5/10
Jamie Lidell - Jamie Lidell 3,5/10
Toro y Moi - Anything in return 3/10
Suuns - Images du futur 3/10
The Flaming Lips - The Terror 2,5/10
Miguel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Miguel »

My favourites of 2013, to this date. I’ve made a playlist with a song from each album, except the ones by Lady Lazarus and Rose Melberg, not available on Spotify:

1. Veronica Falls - Waiting for Something to Happen (UK)
2. Yo La Tengo - Fade (USA)
3. Ed Harcourt - Back Into the Woods (UK)
4. Torres - Torres (USA)
5. Low - The Invisible Ways (USA)
6. Aline - Regarde le ciel (France)
7. Amor de Días - The House at Sea (UK/Spain)
8. Ben Harper & Charllie Musselwhite - Get Up! (USA)
9. Boz Scaggs - Memphis (USA)
10. Lady Lazaurus - All My Love in Half Life (USA)
11. Camper Van Beethoven - La costa perdida (USA)
12. Mark Kozelek - Like Rats (USA)
13. Lisa Germano - No Elephants (USA)
14. Elliot Murphy - It Takes A Worried Man (USA)
15. Frisja Viljor - Remember Our Name (Sweden)
16. Ólöf Arnalds - Elevation (Iceland)
17. Ocean Colour Scene - Paintings (UK)
18. Rose Melberg - September (USA)
19. Ron Sexsmith - Forever Endeavour (Canada)
20. Billy Bragg - Tooth and Nail (UK)

Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

So, Boards of Canada will release a new album on June 10, finally!
It's called Tomorrow's Harvest. Really looking forward to that.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Sweet stuff. This news keeps up with the recent trend of long delayed album releases from acclaimed acts finally seeing daylight. Here's to hoping that the Avalanches will release some new album info next...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”