Albums of 2013

Stephan
Site Admin

Albums of 2013

Post by Stephan »

Heard my first album of 2013 just now; Villagers' {Awayland}, and it's a very good start to the year.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Re: Albums of 2013

Post by irreduciblekoan »

I came to the forum just to say the same thing. 2013's first great album, and it came early. I've listened to it about 10 times now and I still haven't gotten tired of it yet, which is a very good sign.

Becoming A Jackal was excellent, but it was practically ignored by US lists in 2010 (it still did well enough in the UK and worldwide to be #59 overall). I hope Awayland will be the one to get them more popular in the states.

Anyone hear the Christopher Owens and Yo La Tengo albums? I'm thinking of getting them this week.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

irreduciblekoan wrote:Anyone hear the Christopher Owens and Yo La Tengo albums? I'm thinking of getting them this week.
I listened to Fade by Yo La Tengo a couple of times. It's good, for sure, so it's a recommendation. I need to hear it more often for a final judgment though.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Here's what I've heard so far...

1. We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic- Foxygen
2. Fade- Yo La Tengo
3. Long. Live. A$AP- A$AP Rocky

All 3 albums are good, but the Foxygen album is the only one I'd call "very good" at this point. I highly recommend the Foxygen album for anyone who likes The Beatles/ The Kinks/ The Zombies/ The Velvet Underground/ etc.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Another week begins with Kevin Shields saying that will release the new My Bloody Valentine in two or three days after performing a new song live.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

That Foxygen album is close to perfect.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Another week begins with Kevin Shields saying that will release the new My Bloody Valentine in two or three days after performing a new song live.
Come on MBV. If that's true give us an album cover or tracklist like other artists would at this stage.
That Foxygen album is close to perfect.
I wasn't expecting to like this so much but it really grew on me as it went along. It definitely deserves another listen in the near future.
Last edited by Matski on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

My favorite album of 2013 so far came completely out of left field. Paul Banks (of Interpol) released an instrumental hip-hop mixtape called (ahem) Everybody On My Dick Like They Supposed To Be. The very idea is ridiculous but the album itself is incredible.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

I don't understand why the Tegan and Sara album is getting good reviews. I've loved Tegan and Sara in the past especially The Con. This album is very pop oriented but unfortunately not in a good way. It sounds dated to me.
killjoy
Debut

Post by killjoy »

I've listened to the latest Yo La Tengo LP and I can vouch for it, I really enjoyed it. I wish I could say the same about the new Joy Formidable LP, didn't enjoy that very much at all.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

John wrote:That Foxygen album is close to perfect.
That's quite a compliment, but I do agree it's great. Easily the best album I've heard so far.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

So far the only 'notables' for me are Foxygen, which is excellent though maybe a little uneven, and Riverside.

But I just started up Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing and it's very intriguing.
Billy
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Billy »

I really enjoyed the new Yo La Tengo album as well, however it doesn't really jump out at me as amazing or anything like that. Will need another listen.

My first impression (listen) of the Frightened Rabbit album Pedestrian Verse is as it stands my favorite album of the year (month) so far. It sounds so emotionally genuine to me.

Still haven't made up my mind about the MBV album as I was kinda busy listening to it so I'll have to give it another listen.

The Eels album is pretty good as well, though for me it felt that there were a couple strong songs but also some weaker ones as well. I still need to listen to it again though.

This is officially my first post, though I was a longtime lurker as I'm always looking to find new music. Look forward to "meeting" you all.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Welcome to the boards Billy! Your first post is certainly more informed than my first post many years ago, so you're off to a good start.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

So far the albums that have resonated with me are:

Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic
Riverside - Shrine of the New Generation Slaves
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob
Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
Ben Harper - Get Up

Ben Harper is very roots bluesy, have you heard it Nicolas?
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

The new Autechre double album, Exai, has just been released digitally. Very interesting on first listen. There's a lot more going on then on Oversteps/Move of Ten. It's a monster of an album at over two hours, so it'll take some time to absorb it properly. Even more so because, well, it's Autechre.
Rodneyontheblock
Strange Fruit

Post by Rodneyontheblock »

Looking forward to listening to the new Veronica Falls. Like most Scotts they know how to write a hell of a hook. In fact with all the talk of the new MBV and how innovative and influencial Loveless was I can't help but roll my eyes a little even though I do enjoy many of the songs off of it. Sounds like NOTHING else at the time? Off the top of my head two Scotts come to mind right off the bat: Cocteau Twins and Jesus and Mary Chain. And every album Loveless influenced these two bands had a major part in making it all possible and I consider them more influencial than MBV.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

The new Nick Cave is not stellar, but still allright.

I quite like Grouper's ambientish The Man Who Dies in His Boat.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

No I haven't heard Ben Harper. I've never been a total fan (he's very popular here in France). He's a good musician but think that sometimes he's carrying a lot of clichés but he's able of doing great things. I'll try his album. I haven't heard anything from 2013 yet, but I have planned to listen to Foxygen tomorrow.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Rodneyontheblock wrote: Sounds like NOTHING else at the time? Off the top of my head two Scotts come to mind right off the bat: Cocteau Twins and Jesus and Mary Chain. And every album Loveless influenced these two bands had a major part in making it all possible and I consider them more influencial than MBV.
Loveless sounds absolutely nothing like either of those two bands production-wise. Like not even close. Give me one song that's similar to anything on Loveless.

For the record, I like JAMC a lot. Cocteau Twins are just OK. And I'll agree that MBV was definitely influenced by those bands, they just don't have that special, timeless sound that Loveless has (and now m b v too).
Rodneyontheblock
Strange Fruit

Post by Rodneyontheblock »

Loveless sounds more like Cocteaus and JAMC than Nevermind ever did the Pixies Blown a Wish is very Cocteau Twins for example and vocally sorry but Belinda sounds like a watered down Liz Frasier. Sonic Youth and Lush also come to mind influencially and I know MBV predates Lush but their early EPs predate Loveless. You put 11 of Cocteau Twins best songs up against Loveless and its not even close. Same can be said for JAMC. Like Loveless I do find Psychocandy to be very good just not a masterpiece. But they have made superior singles over their next 13 years. I do hear a more etheralized Psychocandy production with its ribbons of feedback in Loveless. My problem with alternative rock is most people could give two craps about vocals and they pay more attention to production and songwriting which is why Waits and Pavement and RATM pass for acclaimed. Loveless is great but for me flashy fuzz and a half million dollar production just doesn't compare to the goddess like vocals if Liz Frasier. I just want see MBVs influences get their just rewards as well. But we all hear things differently. Hell I think Suede sounds like Rush and Suede fans will fight me to the death to prove me wrong:)
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Rodneyontheblock wrote:Loveless sounds more like Cocteaus and JAMC than Nevermind ever did the Pixies Blown a Wish is very Cocteau Twins for example and vocally sorry but Belinda sounds like a watered down Liz Frasier. Sonic Youth and Lush also come to mind influencially and I know MBV predates Lush but their early EPs predate Loveless. You put 11 of Cocteau Twins best songs up against Loveless and its not even close. Same can be said for JAMC. Like Loveless I do find Psychocandy to be very good just not a masterpiece. But they have made superior singles over their next 13 years. I do hear a more etheralized Psychocandy production with its ribbons of feedback in Loveless. My problem with alternative rock is most people could give two craps about vocals and they pay more attention to production and songwriting which is why Waits and Pavement and RATM pass for acclaimed. Loveless is great but for me flashy fuzz and a half million dollar production just doesn't compare to the goddess like vocals if Liz Frasier. I just want see MBVs influences get their just rewards as well. But we all hear things differently. Hell I think Suede sounds like Rush and Suede fans will fight me to the death to prove me wrong:)
I think a more concise way to say this would have been "I like Cocteau Twins and JAMC more than My Bloody Valentine." I couldn't really dispute that.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Rodneyontheblock wrote:Loveless sounds more like Cocteaus and JAMC than Nevermind ever did the Pixies Blown a Wish is very Cocteau Twins for example and vocally sorry but Belinda sounds like a watered down Liz Frasier. Sonic Youth and Lush also come to mind influencially and I know MBV predates Lush but their early EPs predate Loveless. You put 11 of Cocteau Twins best songs up against Loveless and its not even close. Same can be said for JAMC. Like Loveless I do find Psychocandy to be very good just not a masterpiece. But they have made superior singles over their next 13 years. I do hear a more etheralized Psychocandy production with its ribbons of feedback in Loveless. My problem with alternative rock is most people could give two craps about vocals and they pay more attention to production and songwriting which is why Waits and Pavement and RATM pass for acclaimed. Loveless is great but for me flashy fuzz and a half million dollar production just doesn't compare to the goddess like vocals if Liz Frasier. I just want see MBVs influences get their just rewards as well. But we all hear things differently. Hell I think Suede sounds like Rush and Suede fans will fight me to the death to prove me wrong:)
Waits' voice is one of the reasons I like his music a lot, actually. And a voice doesn't need to be 'beautiful' for me to like it a lot.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

We are almost two months in 2013. Time for a first top 10:

01. Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic
02. Autechre - Exai
03. Grouper - The Man Who Died in His Boat
04. Ulrich Schnauss - A Long Way to Fall
05. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
06. Atoms for Peace - Amok
07. Yo La Tengo - Fade
08. Foals - Holy Fire
09. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II
10. Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba - Jama Ko
Miguel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Miguel »

This is the list of my favorite albums of 2013. I’ve made a playlist on Spotify with a song from each album.

1. Veronica Falls - Waiting for Something to Happen (UK)
2. Yo La Tengo – Fade (USA)
3. Aline - Regarde le ciel (France)
4. Camper Van Beethoven - La costa perdida (USA)
5. Ocean Colour Scene – Paintings (UK)
6. Amor de Días - The House at Sea (UK/Spain)
7. Ben Harper with Charllie Musselwhite - Get Up! (USA)
8. Lisa Germano - No Elephants (USA)
9. Adam Green & Binki Shapiro - Adam Green & Binki Shapiro (USA)
10. Patricia Barber - Smash (USA)
11. Ólöf Arnalds – Elevation (Iceland)
12. Low - The Invisible Ways (USA)

Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I guess Low will enter my list pretty high up when The Invisible Way will be released. I really liked the two songs I've heard so far.
dumbangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by dumbangel »

Fans of '60s psyche/sunshine/baroque pop reminiscent of Milliennium/Sagittarius/Left Banke/Zombies with touches of Syd Barrett, I recommand the first album of a young dutch artist : "Cabinet of curiosities" by Jacco Gardner.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

My three first loving albums of this year :

Aline - Regarde Le Ciel 8/10 The Smith....but in French.
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II 8/10 Not as good as the first album but very ejoyable.
Granville - Les voiles 7/10

[
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

New Flaming Lips is bleak and enjoyable! Think is my favorite record of the year, as for now on!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I know this album was released in Israel in 2012 but in Europe, the release is only in 2013.

Asaf Avidan - Different Pulses 9/10 The first big shock this year. What a voice! What a music! Goosebumpsin all my arms. Seriously, try to listen this incredible album. All the songs are excellent or at least very good.

The list :

Asaf Avidan - Different Pulses 9/10

Aline - Regarde Le Ciel 8/10
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II 8/10

Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Centralia by Mountains
A gorgeous, blissed-out electronic/post-rock record - really enjoying this at the moment. There's something about its production that leaves quite an impressionable after-taste, sucking you back into giving further chances.
Miguel wrote:1. Veronica Falls - Waiting for Something to Happen (UK)
I must listen to this one again soon. Their debut was wonderful but I'm unsure how I felt about this follow-up after the first spin through...
HRS wrote:New Flaming Lips is bleak and enjoyable! Think is my favorite record of the year, as for now on!
Looking forward to this. How does it compared to their previous albums?
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Matski wrote:
HRS wrote:New Flaming Lips is bleak and enjoyable! Think is my favorite record of the year, as for now on!
Looking forward to this. How does it compared to their previous albums?
Matksi, the first track is a sonic assault that wouldn't sound so out of place last time around, but the album suddenly settles as a tense, rather downbeat affair; the hisses present all over the lo-fi mixing of Embryonic is toned down and this ones sound like a far more atmospheric album, focused on its ambience features. It's very cohesive and this might turn off some people expecting explosive tracks like See the Leaves or Worm the Mountains and the diversity present on previous works like Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi. As with all the past Lips efforts of the last 20 years, there's always the neo-psychedelic production, and this one sounds particularly modern state-of-mind and industrial -- the latter not in the sense of the music genre itself, but there's an approach to the instrumentation that bring to mind the sounds created by machines and factories and an unsettling bleak atmosphere that brought to my mind David Lynch's Eraserhead. I wish I could understand the lyrics better, but I guess I'll have to settle with the bits I deciphered until April.

I first listened to it late at night and I do think that nighttime helped a lot in enhancing the experience, since I haven't appreciated the songs on their own through my headphones as much as that day while doing other stuff during daytime. i still haven't checked the album you just posted about it, though I have it on my computer and read great things about its fusion of electronica and folk. And this has been another rather slow start for a year, albeit better than 2012 and perhaps even 2011. Haven't been returning to m b v as much as I thought and even less to Yo La Tengo's rather-safe Fade. Grouper's The Man Who Died in His Boat had two haunting tracks -- Vital and Cloud in places -- and others that, so far, is closer to background music than enrapturing ambience. I have Doldrums in line, have read a good amount of pieces about its experimental pop and I want to see how much of each it actually is; I also haven't listened to the new Nick Cave, very excited about this one. Reviews of the new Bowie are coming up and it's a toe-to-toe competition between the Thin White Duke and The Bloody Valentines for comeback of 2013 -- and we still have the new Knife record and there are (as usual) rumors of new records from Daft Punk and Avalanches. The National have announced a new record to be released this first semester -- though I'm not as excited about it as I thought I'd be -- and Joanna Newsom is engaged to Andy Samberg -- this is all I have from the class of 2010! :D

The new James Blake single is my favorite from him since The Wilhelm Scream and it beats anything on his rather disappointing first record. There's also the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs song, Sacrilege. It starts as something closer to the heart of Fever to Tell, then progresses into a slick lo-fi piece and then, finally, morphs itself half-way trough into a gospel number. I've enjoyed it; It's always nice to listen to something coming from Karen and the boys. Meanwhile, the Strokes are too close to a style of music we call technobrega in Brazil for its own sake; although I find them irrelevant these days and haven't enjoyed anything from the band for quite a long time -- truth be told I'm not even head over hells for Is this It. I'll also check the albums Romain recommended and I really hope France give me something à la Brigitte Fontaine this year because I have her on repeat alongside Laurie Anderson and Suzanne Vega for days now! :whistle:
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Allah-Las - Allah-Las 8/10 And another good new group who come to the 60's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQmBdvzLiWU

The list :

Asaf Avidan - Different Pulses 9/10

Allah-Las - Allah-Las 8/10
Aline - Regarde Le Ciel 8/10
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II 8/10

nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I'm listening to m b v right now and at first listen it sounds more accessible than Loveless but not particularly better
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Matski wrote:Image

Centralia by Mountains
A gorgeous, blissed-out electronic/post-rock record - really enjoying this at the moment. There's something about its production that leaves quite an impressionable after-taste, sucking you back into giving further chances.
Sounds interesting. Would like to hear that one sometime soon.
Optical
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Optical »

Jirin wrote: Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob
I enjoyed this album, having really enjoyed Tegan and Sara's early releases, and being unimpressed with the last couple of albums. This one is more like the Tegan and Sara I remember from previous albums.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

The great year in music continues. I wasn't even done digesting David Bowie's wonderful The Next Day when John Grant blew my mind with his new one, Pale Green Ghosts.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I'm not a fan of the new John Grant; he's following Sufjan Stevens in the wrong direction. Bowie was also a little disappointing after all the rave reviews. It's good, but definitely not great.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I still haven't heard anything really good. Nick Cave and Foxygen are Ok but just Ok to my ears
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

HRS wrote:Matksi, the first track is a sonic assault that wouldn't sound so out of place last time around, but the album suddenly settles as a tense, rather downbeat affair; the hisses present all over the lo-fi mixing of Embryonic is toned down and this ones sound like a far more atmospheric album, focused on its ambience features. It's very cohesive and this might turn off some people expecting explosive tracks like See the Leaves or Worm the Mountains and the diversity present on previous works like Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi. As with all the past Lips efforts of the last 20 years, there's always the neo-psychedelic production, and this one sounds particularly modern state-of-mind and industrial -- the latter not in the sense of the music genre itself, but there's an approach to the instrumentation that bring to mind the sounds created by machines and factories and an unsettling bleak atmosphere that brought to my mind David Lynch's Eraserhead. I wish I could understand the lyrics better, but I guess I'll have to settle with the bits I deciphered until April.
Thanks for getting back to me on this in detail.

Today I had my first chance to listen to it. My initial thoughts were that I'll be quite surprised if this isn't too divisive amongst listeners who already like the band. As you previously mentioned, this will very much a leap away from the crystalline pop that they had crafted on their 'turn of the millennium' albums and I wonder whether the fans who enjoyed them because of that succinct style may feel left in the cold by this new effort.

If many older fans don't like it, I won't feel sorry for their loss. This is a very interesting step forward for the Lips and it is perhaps the most unified statement that their band has released so far. The album title now seems very appropriate - it was a pervasive and foreboding experience, with little-to-none of the (almost childlike) sense of hope found on their most successful albums. Like yourself, the biggest question I was left with was about the extent to which this leaked version remains unpolished by the production team. But from what is to be heard so far, it sounds very promising...
chet_baker
Start Me Up

Post by chet_baker »

I've never been so excited about so much music in 1 year! Already we've been treated to the return of mbv, realistically we could be looking at albums from Vampire Weekend (my #1 of 2010), James Blake (my #1 of 2011), D'Angelo (my #15 of all time), Jay - Z, Kanye, Avalanches (optimistic?), David bloody Bowie!!, The-Dream, The Knife, Azealia Banks ...
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Still no great discoveries. Only 4 albums that I like, all 3.5 stars (out of 5).

1.Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba - Jama Ko (World/Malian)
2. Keaton Henson - Birthdays (Rock/Alternative folk)
3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
4. Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic

Keaton Henson is good, but it sounds like something I've already heard. What? I'm not an expert on recent music, but I'm sure one of you guys will find out.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I've just heard Electric by Richard Thompson. Best album of the year so far (but you've got to like rootsy stuff). 4 stars. But I'm sure I'll find better because it's not exceptionnal but very solid.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Finally heard 10 albums from this year. Here's how they stack up.

Great:

1. MBV- My Bloody Valentine

Very Good:

2. The Next Day- David Bowie
3. The 20/20 Experience- Justin Timberlake
4. We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic- Foxygen
5. Push the Sky Away- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
6. Long. Live. A$AP- A$AP Rocky

Good:

7. Wondrous Bughouse- Youth Lagoon
8. Amok- Atoms for Peace
9. Fade- Yo La Tengo

Alright:

10. You're Nothing- Iceage

The new Bowie and Timberlake albums were very pleasant surprises.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I don't really get all that praise for Foxygen. IMO they can write really great songs ("No Destruction") that sound like the Beatles, Stones or Kinks, but why on hell ruin the whole thing with that noisy and messy indie production? Why not keep the whole thing simple? Everybody's not Beck. An album like that could have been very good is just good to me.
That indie obsession of confusing everything to make a so called "smart music" is really tiring sometimes.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The noise and distortion aren't for the sake of making 'smart music' or for other pretentious reasons. A lot of indie pop bands benefit from playing slightly off expected melodies. It changes the mood and emotional state of the song, and it also has this effect where your mind produces the melody the song is playing off of and your attention is drawn to the difference that throws it a little off balance.
FinnsMusic
Superunknown

Post by FinnsMusic »

2013 is starting out great - like many of you have said, I too agree that 'm b v' is the greatest album of 2013 (so far). The albums that have really stuck out for me so far are:
  • m b v - My Bloody Valentine
    Waiting for Something to Happen - Veronica Falls
    The 20/20 Experience - Justin Timberlake
    Goldenheart - Dawn Angeliqué Richard
    Centralia - Mountains
    The Waiting Room - Lusine
    The New Life - Girls Names
    Wonderful, Glorious - Eels
    Push the Sky Away - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Really anticipating the new James Blake, Suede, Depeche Mode, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, M.I.A., Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips and Azealia Banks records...
Currently listening to albums from 2012 to stay 'up-to-date' with culture, as well as 'classic' electronic and indie albums, the additional hip hop record here and there, as well as my collection of comedy albums, from Louie C.K. to Bill Cosby.

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Romain, just listened to Allah-Las. Great rec.

Simple low key guitar pop songs with fun lyrics, reminds me a little of Raveonettes but with more interesting instrumentals and no vocal harmony.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

And Nicolas, I agree with you about Electric. It's not my #1 of the year but it's definitely up there.

It's awesome to get this kind of album from a person you think of as a cooled off veteran.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

For those who like the new Steven Wilson album (and I'm happy to see it getting so much attention, since I've been a Porcupine Tree fan for a while now), I would like to recommend the new album by Big Big Train, "English Electric Part Two." I thought Part One last year was great, but I liked this one even better. (For those who don't know Big Big Train, I wonder if you'll be struck by just how much the lead singer sounds like Peter Gabriel, which is a good thing to my ears!) I have a lot of 2013 listening to catch up on once I finish school, but this is my personal favorite album of the year so far.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”