Recent Purchases

Gillingham
Into the Groove

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Gillingham »

Charles Mingus - Oh Yeah
Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd - Samba Jazz (vinyl)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
Pearl Jam - Ten (Special Edition)
and Jack White - Lazaretto

All on 180 - gram vinyl. My kids know how to celebrate Fathers' Day!
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

^ What do you think of all the extra bits and bobs of the Ultra LP?

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not : I like that the label on the second side is a close up of an ash tray.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Maschine_Man wrote:^ What do you think of all the extra bits and bobs of the Ultra LP?
Even being prepared for what to expect it took me several tries to get out of the A side lock track. Much like the music, this was just too much of Jack White being JACK WHITE.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

This past month

On vinyl:
Swans- To Be Kind
Godspeed You! Black Emperor- Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
The Antlers- Hospice
American Football- American Football
Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes

These on CD
Killer Mike- R.A.P. Music
Earl Sweatshirt- Doris
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib- Piñata
Haim- Days are Gone
The Postal Service- Give Up
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
digifuwill
Are You Experienced?

Post by digifuwill »

Hit the used cd shop the other day. For less than the price of one CD was able to pick up a few I was curious about.

Squeeze - East Side Story.
I love their Singles collection. The sound quality on this CD was about as disappointing as I've ever encountered. But, as expected, the songs are consistently good.

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
Liked it more than I thought it would. I hadn't realized that it's actually very much a Rundgren record.

Bob Dylan - Desire
I have a large Dylan collection, but somehow never had listened to this one. Don't know what took me so long.

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
1995 me would scoff, but 20 years later there are several songs that have grown on me more than perhaps any other radio-friendly hits from that era.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

I picked up vinyl copies of Slint- Spiderland and Yes- Close to the Edge at Pitchfork fest last week.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

The 1975 poll has given me an excuse to go back and buy cheap used vinyl of several albums I'd never heard before, but needed to own as soon as I did:

Brian Eno - Discreet Music
Klaus Schulze - Timewind

I also bought Can's Tago Mago on vinyl.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

My local record shop is clearing out vinyl overstock at 30% off, and I'm broke! But I did pick up Sigur Ros' "Kveikur" and Beirut's "The Flying Club Cup" for pennies. (Well, 30% off anyway)
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Since last time:

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch (vinyl)
A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms...
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Danny Brown- Old
Burzum- Filosofem
Madvillian- Madvilliany
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Kangding Ray - Automne Fold
Derek and the Dominos - Layla and other assorted Love Songs
Aphex Twin - Syro (pre-order)
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I received a small comp 10" from Milk! Records (home of Courtney Barnett) called A Pair Of Pears (With Shadows).
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Just scored two pristine (as in never-played) treats at my used record connection; the Bob Dylan mono box and a good re-pressing of London Calling. A very expensive indulgence; I am about to put on the headphones for ten hours or so of... data entry.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

My name is Craig, and I have a problem with vinyl...

Today's find... A1978 UK pressing of Datapanik in the Year Zero. Thank you to whoever nominated this to Moderately Acclaimed!
Also - Dan Mangan's Nice, Nice, Very Nice. Road Regrets may have finished dead last in the Unacclaimed round of 64, but I still heartily recommend giving this gentle, humorous album a listen (after all, its title is a Kurt Vonnegut quote)
Esben and the Witch - A New Nature, already recommended in the Albums of 2014 thread.
Robyn Hitchcock, The Man Upstairs. A promo release I know nothing about. Must review.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

DocBrown wrote:Just scored (a) pristine (as in never-played) treat at my used record connection; the Bob Dylan mono box
Man, finally finished listening to these nine classic discs, they have been a big part of my soundtrack as I did... something else, the past two weeks. If you are a Dylan fan, go and pony up for this box. These are the cleanest, best mastered, best pressed vinyl in my collection. I was really reluctant to drop the equivalent of a months vinyl budget on Dylan I already owned, but it was worth every penny.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Amazon is getting frighteningly good with its recommendations.

I just went to the site to buy five albums:

Iceage - Plowing Into The Field Of Love
Flying Lotus - You're Dead
Sondre Lerche - Please
Steph Cameron - Sad Eyed Lonesome Lady
Perfume Genius - Too Bright

After I added Iceage to the cart, first recommendation was: Flying Lotus.
After I added Sondre Lerche to the cart, first recommendation was: Perfume Genius.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Foxygen - ...And Star Power
The Notwist - Neon Golden (vinyl)
Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love

Have a concert of Foxygen coming up in about two weeks. ...And Star Power is not as good as their previous effort, but still looking foward to the gig.
The vinyl version of Neon Golden was only slightly more expensive than the cd version and doesn't include a DVD I probably would't use more than once or twice anyway.
Although I did like Springsteen before, especially his three most acclaimed albums, recently I have been re-appreciating his tremendous music. The amount of (good) music he has made through the years is really impressive. Still have quite a bit of his music to explore, which is a good thing!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Hey, is anybody else having a problem getting records lately? I have ~10 or 12 records on order from the first of the year, all of which are back-ordered. Apparently U.S. pressing plants are currently looking at a twenty week backlog for new pressings, and the usual record store day hysteria is gonna push more new releases even further out.

Having said that, I just added two more releases to my list... very excited about this. :music-listening:

So what have I acquired recently?
A second pressing, mint, of Black Flag's Damaged.
A first pressing of Double Nickels on the Dime.
A Japanese Atlantic pressing of Court of the Crimson King.
BB King's Now Appearing at Ole Miss, apparently out of print since 1982. (My personal favourite of BB King despite the odd audio quality)

As for new stuff, the only purchases I've made this year are Sleater-Kinney and Dan Mangan+Blacksmith, both somewhat disappointing (S-K is not holding up as well on repeated listens.)

I'm also starting a collection of classical recordings, though not yet in any sort of organized fashion.

This thread has been dead for awhile. Anybody else finding those sweet deals?
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

^ I wonder how long RSD can continue, at least in the way it runs now. Each year it seems to gather more and more criticism. It's never been big in Australia and we don't really get many things in, due to their scarcity + Australian shipping + tax + profit for the few struggling small record stores = $$$$

I picked up (more of) a collection of Australia World Record Club records at a big Lifeline event (called Bookfest) at the end of January. It was sale day and I got 91 records for $10. I started collecting them for their covers (I do want to listen to them all at some point), they are beautifully designed for mostly classical recordings (which are not known for innovate covers):

This is what I had before this year, I'll post an update later.

At the sale I also got the Immaculate Collection and Thriller for $5 each :music-listening:
I picked up (and got signed) Jungle S/T and the 12" for Busy Earnin.
I have pre-ordered the new Courtney Barnett for the price of an arm and a leg (Give me all your money and I'll make some origami, honey)
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

So I created two giant collages to show them all off. You can view full sized by clicking on them:

by Maschine Design, on Flickr

by Maschine Design, on Flickr

It's a eclectic collection. From The Art Of The Recorder to Schubert's Trout Quintet to Themes For Secret Agents. There's also a country collection, religious hymns, a Slavic spectacular and music of the incas.

If anyone wants more info on a record or a closer look, I can post that info for you :)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

It's beautiful Maschine-Man. Great job. I really love it.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Bookfest is around again, and as I set up this time, I was able to be one of the firsts to shuffle through the high quality records. Best find was a *still sealed* copy of Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes for $5!!! No really rare pressings, but because they're Australian Imagine, The Wall and Physical Graffiti are fantastic picks (though the later is missing a record - I'll try to find it tomorrow). I haven't listened to most of these properly before, so picking them up will be the push I need. I actually got many of them because I knew they were high up on the All Time list.

I picked up these for $20:

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”