Who's who in Acclaimed Music Forums : the demographic thread

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Who's who in Acclaimed Music Forums : the demographic th

Post by Jirin »

This just all seems confusing to me. I would get it if it were like Michael Vick or something. But Kanye West is just obnoxious and self-aggrandizing, he hasn't done anything morally outrageous. Is this really just one of those "I'm holding on more because I don't want to lose face than on actual principle" deals I've heard about?

Although, I do get why somebody would hate Kim Kardashian. I don't know how many of you saw the South Park episode with Kanye West last fall, but it was basically about how Kim Kardashian photoshops and plastics herself from looking normal into looking beautiful, and as a result little girls everywhere feel like they're ugly because they don't look as good as the photoshopped version of Kim Kardashian.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Jirin wrote:This just all seems confusing to me. I would get it if it were like Michael Vick or something. But Kanye West is just obnoxious and self-aggrandizing, he hasn't done anything morally outrageous. Is this really just one of those "I'm holding on more because I don't want to lose face than on actual principle" deals I've heard about?

Although, I do get why somebody would hate Kim Kardashian. I don't know how many of you saw the South Park episode with Kanye West last fall, but it was basically about how Kim Kardashian photoshops and plastics herself from looking normal into looking beautiful, and as a result little girls everywhere feel like they're ugly because they don't look as good as the photoshopped version of Kim Kardashian.
It's crazy just how accurate some episodes of South Park are on (some) people and issues! All that was in that episode, from what I've heard, is true! That basically sums up my feelings on the Kardashians. As for Kanye, of course there are far worse celebrities out there you could be offended by. He is just a typically arrogant, self-promoting music artist who is crazy stunts serve more as a punch line for comedians than anything else. He is definitely not even near the top of music celebrities who I genuinely could say I hate based on their actions (*cough* Chris Brown, Lindsay Lohan, Justin Bieber *cough*).
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Yeah after careful consideration I've decided that weighing all the stuff that's going on in our relationship besides Kanye too, I'm gonna break up with her. Thank you AMF! I've decided that I would truly be happier without her, in all honesty I don't love her that much anymore, so this will just be sort of relieving.
I feel like that
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Acclaimed Music Forums: Discussions About the Most Recommended Albums and Songs of All Time

Now with relationship advice!

In all seriousness, best of luck with respect to all future romantic endeavors, PlasticRam.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

PlasticRam wrote:Yeah after careful consideration I've decided that weighing all the stuff that's going on in our relationship besides Kanye too, I'm gonna break up with her. Thank you AMF! I've decided that I would truly be happier without her, in all honesty I don't love her that much anymore, so this will just be sort of relieving.
Hey bro, don't get the impression I was really trying to tell you to dump your gf! I was just offering observations! If she is a good person who really does love you, then stay with her! Of course, if there are other serious disagreements about stuff (forgetting the Kanye thing for a moment), then maybe that is the best thing for you. Don't let a musical issue alone destroy your relationship!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Nick wrote:Acclaimed Music Forums: Discussions About the Most Recommended Albums and Songs of All Time

Now with relationship advice!

In all seriousness, best of luck with respect to all future romantic endeavors, PlasticRam.
Thanks! I don't think I'll even need a new gf at least for a while. I'm free to do only the stuff I want when I'm alone. And also Asperger people are quite happy alone in general.
JimmyJazz wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:Yeah after careful consideration I've decided that weighing all the stuff that's going on in our relationship besides Kanye too, I'm gonna break up with her. Thank you AMF! I've decided that I would truly be happier without her, in all honesty I don't love her that much anymore, so this will just be sort of relieving.
Hey bro, don't get the impression we were really trying to tell you to dump your gf! We were just offering observations! If she is a good person who really does love you, then stay with her! Of course, if there are other serious disagreements about stuff (forgetting the Kanye thing for a moment), then maybe that is the best thing for you. Don't let a musical issue alone destroy your relationship!
Yeah no not at all! This is about other things too. We've really been The Beatles and Kanye has been Yoko, just a factor in breaking up.

Update: So yeah I actually decided to stay with her, like it was mainly other stuff that was wrong in our relationship, but we fixed those and it's really not that big of a deal to just listen a Kanye album like once a month when she's gone. I don't wanna continue this discussion.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Mon May 19, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

If this were me it wouldn't be a musical issue so much of an issue of her thinking she can tell me what I can and can't listen to.

That'd be very distressing and would remind me way too much of my mother. At one point she tried to forbid me from listening to Matchbox 20 because she misinterpreted the line 'I want to push you around' and similarly to Garbage because she misinterpreted the song 'Stupid Girl'.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Hello!

I just realized that I never actually posted in this thread even though I've been a member of the site for two years and a lurker for at least two years before that. In that time period, I've posted a decent amount but very sporadically. Anyways, on to the important bits.
I'm 19 years old and a sophomore at the University of Southern California. I'm in the film school there, studying Writing for Screen and Television, but I've (naturally) a great interest in music as well, specifically songwriting and music journalism. I'm originally from Georgia, where I spent all of my years until I started college. I write album reviews and other lifestyle coverage for my school newspaper, and I produce original films, sketches, songs, and music videos with my friends on both coasts. I won't plug the links here or anything though because I don't want to be another advertiser.
As far as my musical biography, I've traveled a very bizarre path. The first artist I ever listened to was Pink Floyd because that's what my dad was obsessed with and that naturally linked to Led Zeppelin. But I didn't really seriously get into music until freshman year of high school. All I really listened to up to that point were the aforementioned two bands, video game soundtracks, and Queen. But once I got to ninth grade, I discovered the three artists that would come to define my musical tastes from that moment on: The Beatles, Joni Mitchell, and The Velvet Underground. As the years went on, I voraciously consumed music that I discovered primarily through this website, with occasionally smatterings from Rolling Stone, Pitchfork (ugh), and Reddit. Oh yeah, and word of mouth. Most recently, I've become obsessed with Modest Mouse, listening to their entire back catalogue dozens of times and putting them up with the rest of my favorites.
Last edited by acroamor on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sketch
Strange Fruit

Post by Sketch »

Greetings, all. My name is Colin. I'm 38 for another week. I'm a Saudi-born, Ohio-raised, London-residing U.S. citizen. My wife, Sarah, and I (and her two older kids) got married last July. My newborn son, Ozzy, was born a little over a month ago. I earn money as a support tech for a business software company. What free time I have is normally spent with amateur dramatics and video games.

My parents raised me on 60s rock, Motown, and jazz, and in looking at my own tastes they are some modern equivalents in alt/indie rock, hip-hop, and... jazz. Throw in metal (older brother's influence) and ska (three years as a college radio DJ) for good measure. As a kid, I was kind of Billboard freak back when Casey Casem had his Top 40 radio show. Sixteen was the perfect age for Nevermind to be released, and I think most people have a bias toward music released between the ages of 15 and 25, using new releases as a way to identify themselves and their generation (I know I did and still do...). Biggest sources of new music since college have been CMJ monthly mags, CMJ forum + spinoff forums, metacritic, and this site. Thanks for being here. I think the AMF Chart may keep me here for a while.

Desert Island Discs:
Sugar - Copper Blue
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
Beth Orton - Trailer Park
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Son Volt - Trace
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Fugazi - 13 Songs
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Sketch wrote:I think most people have a bias toward music released between the ages of 15 and 25, using new releases as a way to identify themselves and their generation (I know I did and still do...). [/i]
Spot on observation. For me those years are 1971-1981 :music-rockon:
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henry wrote:
Sketch wrote:I think most people have a bias toward music released between the ages of 15 and 25, using new releases as a way to identify themselves and their generation (I know I did and still do...). [/i]
In my case my favorite years for music are mainly from before I was born and when I was a baby (1951-1958). I also like the years a lot when I was between 7 and 10 (1964-1967) even though I was not interested in music during those years.

I think that the year I graduated high school (1975) and the next 2-3 years are awful.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Well, the music I love is a general mixture of my parents' influence and of my own time period and findings. So, I guess it's different for everybody.
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

This thread is worth a bump, considering all the new blood we have around here these days :D
audioclectic
Are You Experienced?

Post by audioclectic »

I’m not really new blood. I’ve been paying attention to the website since early 2010. I posted a few times early on under a user name that I can’t recall anymore. Anyways…

I’m 57, male, live in subrural northern California. Married 31 years, two adult children, no grandkids. Heavily nostalgic. Interests are my library, my music library, medicinal herbalism and cooking. My library (about 5,000 volumes) spreads out over 9 rooms. About half the library is popular and academic non-fiction (history, philosophy, religion, science, art). The other half is predominantly classic and ancient literature with an emphasis on poetry, poetics, literary biographies and criticism. I've never listened to an mp3.

The first popular artists I can remember listening to are Marty Robbins, Johnny Horton, Johnny Cash and the Everly Brothers. When I was 5, my mother purchased a minor anthology of classical music. That music fascinated me. Two years later, I got an uncomplicated record player and The Beatles Second Album as a Christmas present. Somewhere along the way, I ended up with a nice GE desktop radio, and pretty much listened to AM Top 40 all through the 60s and into the early 70s. In high school, I was introduced to FM oriented music at poker parties. I remember listening to CSN&Y, the Woodstock soundtrack, Can’t Buy A Thrill and Aqualung. In my first two years in college (‘74-’76) I joined the hard rock camp, and that music has remained at the center for me (until recently).

Last winter my interests shifted, this time backwards. A family member gave me a Shout! Factory 3 CD compilation called The British Beat. Soon I found myself reading up on ‘60s music and the ‘lost period’ in rock (1958-1962). The aftermath was a new desire to begin buying music again (as cheaply as possible). An initial plan to focus on the Girl Groups quickly expanded to the goal of developing comprehensive yearly playlists from 1954 through the late ‘70s.

Now the goal has expanded again, and I’ve pushed the pursuit back into the decade of the ‘40s. In addition, I’ve begun working on separate playlists for country music (as far back as I can find good compilations for). I’m pretty sure the final phase will be exploration and accumulation of early R&B and its precursors.

As taboo as it might be, I have to say that I’m extremely thankful for the compilation CD sets that Time-Life has issued. Aside from the thorough song selection, the liner notes in the early rock series are excellent condensed recaps of rock ‘n’ roll history.

I appreciate the enormous effort that has been required to build and maintain this website. It was extremely helpful when I was trying to catch up to the history of pop music since 1980. Though it’s not as useful to me as it was in 2010, I still enjoy visiting when I need a refresher for a year, a decade or an artist.

Conversely, I wish I could say that I respect the opinions of the critics and publications whose writings are the basis for the rankings, but I can’t. The generational gap in music appreciation is something that I will never be able to relate to. After 4 years of trying to maintain objectivity for the aesthetic(s) in punk music and nearly 40 years of its derivatives, I’m parting ways with about 400 acclaimed CDs from the ‘80s, ‘90s and ‘00s. There are only four bands whose music I am keeping that were not already recording before 1979. It’s a freeing moment. It’s okay to like what you like.
Last edited by audioclectic on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Henry wrote:

My interest in music began around 13ish and nowadays at 19 I hardly listen to any new music at all, but just rehash things which I only kinda-liked but are actually really just amazing. At the moment it's Okkervil River's Black Sheep Boy and Joanna Newsom's Have One On Me.

I think my spiritual musical home is nerdy old 1978, with Devo, Talking Heads et al - snotty nerds trying to make kickass rock music. Though that's a theme I return to with lots of my favourite bands, eg. Zappa, Pavement, Ween etc.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Audioclectic - thanks for sharing your story.

It is tough for us oldsters to appreciate the some of the newer musical genres, but at least it appears that you tried for a few years.

I would be interested in understanding which three bands that started recording after 1979 have caught your fancy.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Henry wrote:Audioclectic - thanks for sharing your story.

It is tough for us oldsters to appreciate the some of the newer musical genres, but at least it appears that you tried for a few years.

I would be interested in understanding which three bands that started recording after 1979 have caught your fancy.
this could be a game!

1) The White Stripes
2) ...

I'm out.
audioclectic
Are You Experienced?

Post by audioclectic »

It isn't really a fancy, Henry, especially a late fancy. I felt lucky for these artists after I was sure the classic rock canon wouldn't be expanded once the '70s giants exhausted themeselves. I've corrected my original post as I realized I had a mistaken sense of time line for a 4th band.

The 4th band is Def Leppard, and least favorable among the 4. I feel about them like I feel about Foreigner. Most of the music hasn't aged well.

U2 (1979 single, first album 1980). It's hard to deny that they succesfully bridged the chasm between classic rock and alternative rock. No other band I'm aware of has done that to an appreciable degree. War (1983) and Joshua Tree (1987) are most obvious. I'm less enthusiastic about Achtung Baby, and after that it's all throwaway for me.

Guns 'N' Roses. Appetite for Destruction (1987) is really all I need to hear from this band, and thank goodness for it. By 1987, I thought I would never hear another album with fresh, powerful riffs and a snotty singer. I know many people are turned off by professional sports, but you can't argue with the money the major sports franchises churn out. They do it with a full marketing / entertainment package which includes music. Welcome To The Jungle will always be part of that.

Metallica. Just the Black Album (1991). I know the purists scoff at that album. Okay, fine. I'll just keep playing it.

Hi Zorg. I find Jack White to be unlistenable.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I still haven't properly introduced myself since joining this forum.

Hello all. My name is Chris. I'm 21 years old and have lived in Illinois my entire life. Currently going to the University of Illinois in Urbana Champaign, where I'm studying both Cinema Studies and Creative Writing. For the past year and a half I've been hard at work on a young adult fantasy novel. Hopefully my efforts will pay off. And if they don't, at least I'll have the experience :mrgreen:

I found this site back in my junior year of high school and stuck around once I discovered LCD Soundsystem, which I would have never heard of otherwise. They completely changed my opinion on music and convinced me to start checking out albums. I even got to see them live a year before they broke up, which would have never happened if I didn't discover this website.

I'm a couple weeks shy of starting up my senior year. I have no idea what I'm going to do after I graduate, so yeah... I want to stick around in Urbana and wait for my boyfriend to graduate (he's a year younger), but I'm not sure if that will be possible. Here's hoping I can figure things out. The life of a Creative Writing major...

My top 10 songs:
1. LCD Soundsystem-All My Friends
2. The Velvet Underground-Heroin
3. Bruce Springsteen-Born to Run
4. Frank Ocean-Pyramids
5. The Smiths-This Charming Man
6. The Who-My Generation
7. blur-Girls & Boys
8. The Beach Boys-Good Vibrations
9. OutKast-Hey Ya!
10. The Beatles-A Day in the Life

As stated, I'm also a film studies major. My top 10 in that area (I'm also obsessed with lists...) is:
1. Mulholland Dr.
2. Persona
3. Sunset Blvd.
4. Citizen Kane
5. The Rules of the Games
6. Spirited Away
7. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
8. 8 1/2
9. Pulp Fiction
10. Wings of Desire

I'll save my album list for the forum poll.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

BleuPanda wrote:
My top 10 songs:
4. Frank Ocean-Pyramids
6. The Who-My Generation
7. blur-Girls & Boys
9. OutKast-Hey Ya!
We have radically similar top ten songs. Here's mine-

1. LCD Soundsystem- All My Friends
2. The Beatles- A Day in the Life
3. The Verve- Bittersweet Symphony
4. The Beach Boys- Good Vibrations
5. Pulp- Common People
6. The Smiths- There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
7. R.E.M.- Losing My Religion
8. Joy Division- Love Will Tear Us Apart
9. Bob Dylan- Like a Rolling Stone
10. OutKast- Hey Ya!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Nick wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:
My top 10 songs:
4. Frank Ocean-Pyramids
6. The Who-My Generation
7. blur-Girls & Boys
9. OutKast-Hey Ya!
We have radically similar top ten songs. Here's mine-

1. LCD Soundsystem- All My Friends
2. The Beatles- A Day in the Life
3. The Verve- Bittersweet Symphony
4. The Beach Boys- Good Vibrations
5. Pulp- Common People
6. The Smiths- There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
7. R.E.M.- Losing My Religion
8. Joy Division- Love Will Tear Us Apart
9. Bob Dylan- Like a Rolling Stone
10. OutKast- Hey Ya!
The rest of those are in my top 100!
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

BleuPanda wrote: As stated, I'm also a film studies major. My top 10 in that area (I'm also obsessed with lists...) is:
Great list. Here is mine for what it's worth:

1. Metropolis
2. All About Eve
3. A Trip To The moon
4. Pan's Labyrinth
5. Juliette of The Spirits
6. Sunsent Blvd.
7. Spirited Away
8. My Neighbour Totoro
9. Rocky Horror Picture Show
10. Hot Fuzz

Just realized I haven't done an introduction. My name is Taro and I'm Australian. I studied product design and I'll be moving overseas (to San Fran, NYC or London hopefully) next year to pursue this full time. My musical history starts off with Rage and music video programs of the late 90's (I'm 22). My mother was young when she had me so I grew up on likes of The Smiths/Pixies. I continued to watch music videos, but not really listening to music for a long time.
This all changed when I discovered Limewire in late 2005. I know this because one of the first bands I went through and downloaded the entire discography was The White Stripes. They performed for the last time in Australia in 2006, I had just missed them. To be honest it was their album art and music videos that attracted me, and this is still a quality I regard highly.
I started collecting TWS records in 2007 (the Icky Thump 7" was the first record I bought) which was my final year of high school. I had known about records because my mum has a small collection and I used to play Frankly, Mr Shankly on repeat. I got hooked and during my gap year before uni I amassed a pretty impressive White Stripes collection (I realized it had got out of hand when I had purchased all their albums on cassette from Indonesia).
Once I moved to complete my degree I started branching out and I started to listen to more music and tried to discover new bands. It wasn't until the start of 2011 that I discovered AMF and later that year I started to rank my albums with my own formula. 2013 was the first year I was successfully proactive in discovering current/past music and 2014 is going well.

:character-beavisbutthead:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Maschine_Man wrote: 10. Hot Fuzz
"Hot Fuzz" over "Shaun of the Dead"? Ballsy pick, but I like it.

Anyway, here are my top ten films. I considered myself somewhat "well listened" when it comes to classic popular music, but not so much "well watched" when it comes to classic films. Oh well, here we go!

1. Pulp Fiction
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Fight Club
4. Goodfellas
5. Back to the Future
6. The Departed
7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
8. Toy Story
9. The Truman Show
10. Spirited Away
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Maschine_Man wrote: I studied product design and I'll be moving overseas (to San Fran, NYC or London hopefully) next year to pursue this full time.
Let me know if you make it to SF. It's a fabulous place. I live in Silicon Valley and occasionally make it up to SF for a concert.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm happy to see the love for Spirited Away! That's the movie that made me get seriously interested in art, and probably why I'm attempting to write young adult fantasy.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Spirited Away is a beautiful film. I showed my bf and by halfway through he had no clue what was going on haha.
Henry wrote: SF for a concert.
Yes! I think this is the biggest thing I have been looking forward to about moving overseas. Concerts. The Rolling Stones, Janelle Monae and a few others within the last year have had to cancell tours (not their fault, but still) and when people do come down (and don't cancel) it's either in an over-priced festival setting or they go to Melbourne and Sydney (I'm looking at you Damon Albarn and St. Vincent).
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Nick wrote:Anyway, here are my top ten films. I considered myself somewhat "well listened" when it comes to classic popular music, but not so much "well watched" when it comes to classic films. Oh well, here we go!

1. Pulp Fiction
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Fight Club
4. Goodfellas
5. Back to the Future
6. The Departed
7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
8. Toy Story
9. The Truman Show
10. Spirited Away
We have some overlap. Pulp Fiction is in my top 10 and Goodfellas is prolly in my top 20, but Toy Story and Truman Show being in my top 10 too are the real coincidences since they're not huge critics' favorites at least. And I'm the exact same way about movies, I don't have so much of a "refined" taste.

Edit: Okay, Toy Story actually is quite acclaimed.
I feel like that
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Doesn't look like I participated earlier.

I'm Jim, 39, born in Brooklyn, New York, but a resident of Northeast Pennsylvania most of my life. I'm of Irish, German, Italian and Polish (and a tad of Scottish).

I've been interested in entertainment goings-on since I was a kid. I would listen to American Top 40 with Casey Kasem at the age of 8. And then I became interested in Nielsen ratings, which overtook my music interest for a handful of years. I then returned to the love of music around the age of 13, and it's remained my primary entertainment interest ever since. (Though favorite TV shows and movies also are dear to me).

My favorite overall act is... surprise... Madonna. Aside from enjoying her music thoroughly, I was drawn to her no-nonsense, don't-give-a-f*ck, rock-n-roll attitude. I loved the way she tackled all sorts of topics, riling people up with what she did in her work, and giving us the opportunity to discuss and debate all sorts of cultural hot buttons.

My favorite male act probably is Stevie Wonder- I had liked his music prior to becoming a big fan, but it was his four-CD box set, At the Close of a Century, that got me hooked.

Other than those two, I also have other favorites, and I enjoy a variety of music. Never got into heavy , heavy metal/headbanging music, or extreme hardcore rap. Other than that, good music is good music.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Hi, everybody. My name is Will and I'm 18, living in a small town in Northeast Ohio, about an hour south of Lake Erie.

There isn't really much to say about myself except that I'm a huge music fan. Shocking, I know. For much of my life, I wasn't really interested in music. Throughout middle school I just listened to the hundred or so songs that I got from my sisters on my iPod and whatever was on the radio. Thinking back, a significant chunk of it was garbage. I wasn't emotionally invested in it anyway, though. However, I was fortunate to have two or three Red Hot Chili Peppers songs on it that I really enjoyed. My freshman year in study hall, I decided to start checking out some more of their music on YouTube. I was falling in love with it all. What especially interested me, though, was John Frusciante's guitar playing. I couldn't believe how good he was (and to this day, he's still my favorite guitarist, while Flea's my favorite bassist). He inspired me to take up guitar lessons which lasted for maybe two years.

After getting sucked in by RHCP, I started to branch off, listening to more and more music, mostly alternative rock at that point, though. My best friend introduced me to Springsteen and The Gaslight Anthem, which are big favorites of mine now (though I'm disappointed with the latter's newest album). Those two artists, along with Counting Crows, inspired me to start writing songs.

So at this point I was starting to think I might want to do this as a career, but I was missing something. Playing guitar and writing songs wasn't enough. I needed some kind of added ambition, which is what I got when I discovered Radiohead. They changed me from simply wanting to be a musician to being an artist.

And then last summer I stumbled upon this amazing website. It was the greatest discovery of my young life. It expanded my music tastes drastically and continues to do so. A few people in this thread mentioned the Wikipedia article for The Beatles' "Rain" as their doorway to this site and that sounds familiar to me. I might just be creating a false memory, though. Anyway, it doesn't matter how I got here; all that matters is I'm here now.

Well, as far as non-music related stuff in my life goes, I'm attending college at Ohio State University in just over a week. I'm technically going to be a sophomore because I already got a lot of college credit at Kent State University during high school. I'm a "exploration" student currently, but I'm probably going to be a film major. My goal, though, is to find some people to start a band with and then drop out of school since music is my first (and only) passion.

I'm also a huge baseball fan, so if anyone wants to chat come October, I'm right here. :D My favorite team is the Cleveland Indians, but I highly doubt they're making it to the postseason this year.

And to BleuPanda, I've also been working on a "young adult" fantasy book series. I only put it in quotes because I've kind of been turning it into something far more... mature, if you will, than what you'd normally expect from the genre. I'd describe it as Harry Potter meets Breaking Bad. Wanna expand a bit on what you've been working on? :greetings-waveyellow: If you don't want to reveal anything, I understand.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote: And to BleuPanda, I've also been working on a "young adult" fantasy book series. I only put it in quotes because I've kind of been turning it into something far more... mature, if you will, than what you'd normally expect from the genre. I'd describe it as Harry Potter meets Breaking Bad. Wanna expand a bit on what you've been working on? :greetings-waveyellow: If you don't want to reveal anything, I understand.
The basic premise of my story is, a teenage boy moves to a new town (I'm a true king of originality here) and meets someone who claims to be a wizard. Not only that, he's been chosen as his apprentice (as I said, a young adult fantasy novel).

The main twist to the novel is that the mentor is a ghost, which inevitably brings up issues of the afterlife. The novel spends less time exploring magic and more questioning the purpose of life. Why are we here on Earth, what does the existence of an afterlife mean? Is there any purpose in doing anything with our mortal lives if this isn't the end? Naturally that meant this story was horrifically whiny in the early drafts, but I decided to make the protagonist just go with the flow. Trying to make him snarky in a Spider-Man sort of way. The real angst comes from the villain's side of the story.

But really, my main concerns in writing the story have been dealing with issues of identity. The main character has this secret connection but is told not to tell anyone. He's afraid of being treated differently, and scattered incidents cause those around him to believe he's going crazy due to his lack of explanation. Meanwhile, it becomes increasingly apparent that his new best friend has his own secrets. A central theme of the work is learning to trust others.

I guess it draws a lot from my own issues of coming out. It's kind of the novel I wish I had when I was younger. It actually started off as a general fantasy with heavy shades of Post-Modernism from the mentor's point of view, but that wasn't working for me at all. Even with all the fantasy elements, it's become an incredibly personal work.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

That all sounds really interesting and I wish you the best of luck writing it.

I started outlining my story four-ish years ago when I first got into Harry Potter (I was way late to the party on that one). I was so excited with what I was coming up with early on until a couple years ago I realized I stole almost all of the plot elements from HP. So I kinda decided to give up on it. But over the past year, I've come back to it and almost gave it a clean slate, only retaining the main characters and the basic premise.

Mine is set in a fantasy world, but the setting is basically early 18th century America. The main character is an orphan (sigh) who is depressed as hell and nearly commits suicide when he runs into a band of pirate-wizards (sigh). There is a lot of prophecy nonsense that leads the pirates to abduct the boy. Then the series follows the pirates as they attempt to stop the antagonist (another pirate) from destroying this dark, afterlife kind of world (it's essentially Limbo).

This is an incredibly basic synopsis, as it's actually kind of complex to explain. I'm actually kind of worried that I made the plot too intricate that I'm gonna have a shitstorm of plot holes and loose ends when I get toward the end. But anyway, I feel like I have to write this because, as mentioned before, the main character suffers from feelings of helplessness and hopelessness, which is what I deal with everyday. I don't want to manipulate the reader to empathize implicitly with him, though, so I've really filled him with a lot of negative traits, selfishness being the biggest, to the point where he's almost an antihero. Basically everyone in the story is an antihero, even my Dumbledoresque mentor character. In the end, I want the lead to display incredible self-sacrifice (I'm debating whether he makes the biggest sacrifice of them all...) to help others, even those who don't deserve it. I want him to want to make the sacrifice because it's something bigger than himself. If I can give the reader the feeling at the end that life is worth living if it's for the "greater good" or whatever that means, then I'll be very satisfied.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Guys, no matter what you write, today, the most important think is to kill the main character every 200 pages :D

Whatever, good luck for both of you in your attempts to write.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

My username is a carefully organized code.

I am Wesley Hunt, and I'm from Virginia (Greater DC Area).

I am 19 years old, male, and study Computer Science/Engineering at George Mason University.

Like most, I disovered acclaimedmusic through Wikipedia, but not through "Rain". It was "Like a Rolling Stone" actually.

When I was fourteen, I went into a deep depression. Listening to as much music as I could was my only escape. Triplej, the Australian online radio station, became my main domain for what was hip in music. As a result, I knew several artists BEFORE they were popular in America. It drove me CRAZY that nobody knew Gotye until 2011.

Things seem to be going okay now, though I still love AM because it introduces me to new stuff early. I was always at least a year behind music-wise, but not anymore.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
chevisan
Are You Experienced?

Post by chevisan »

Hello, I’m Sebastian, 34 years old and I live in Montevideo, Uruguay (yes, I'm not kidding).
I've always been interested in rock music but I've got really interested in popular music like 15 years ago when I was in University (studying electric engineering) and became a Radiohead fan. Around that time I discovered Julian's rock list site and some years later AM.
I use to have a username in the old AM forum but I wrote very few posts and I've never posted in the new forum until now, although I used to check the website now and then (to look for news).

Nowadays I'm also into classical music, especially Bach, Beethoven and Brahms.
Although these days I probably spent my free time more into watching movies than listening to music.

JFYI my current top 10 films are:

1-The Godfather 2
2-The Godfather
3-Seven Samurai
4-Apocalypse Now
5-Ran
6-Grave of the Fireflies
7-A Man Escaped (Bresson)
8-2001: A Space Odyssey
9-Tokyo Story
10-Pan's Labyrinth

I will leave my top albums list for the forum poll (I saw there is one).
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I had the sudden realization last night that Some Like It Hot isn't on my top films list.

I'm pretty sure with this in mind everybody will need to go and revise their lists as well :-P

1. Metropolis
2. All About Eve
3. Some Like It Hot
4. A Trip To The Moon
5. Pan's Labyrinth
6. Juliette of The Spirits
7. Sunsent Blvd.
8. Spirited Away
9. My Neighbour Totoro
10. Rocky Horror Picture Show
11. Hot Fuzz
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I'm 39 married with no children, I live in Fishers, Indiana just outside of Indianapolis. I'm a software developer, I love to exercise, bicycling specifically. Love movies, sports, music of all kinds except country. My favorite movies are a tie between Apocalypse Now and Shawshank Redemption. My favorite artists are Michael Jackson, Kanye West, and Stevie Wonder. I grew up on hip hop and R&B and listened to that solely up until a few years ago when I started to branch out into other music genres and man I'm glad I did. I discovered and appreciate so many different artist and genres of music and this site has and continues to help with that. I love this site btw. :music-rockon:
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

So, I'm nearing the 250 messages and apparently I'm letting it get on, so it's perhaps time I introduced myself.

My name you all might have guessed out of my user name here, because yes, my name is Rob. I'm 27 years old and am from The Netherlands, where I studied Media & Culture at the University of Amsterdam, with a major in Film Studies. This reveals my biggest passion: film. Basically, I try to watch a great variety of films across many countries, genres and times. Currently, I'm only doing minor freelancing work in the film industry, but am hoping to make it my main job, instead of a side job in the future.

On to music, the main course of this site. I'm really a novice on the subject of music and I feel even more a novice every time I visit Acclaimed Music, whether I look at the main lists or read the contributions to this forum. I only developed a real interest in music about 5 or 6 years ago. During my teens, usually the formative years of music taste, I barely spend any time listening to it, also because I only knew the current hits, perhaps because everyone I knew was only listening to that (except my dad, who's taken "dad rock" literally, but who listens to his dad's music in their teens? I should have). The only musician I would put on round that time is critical punching bag Billy Joel. My interest in music grew in college, mostly by discovering oldies like Simon & Garfunkel and especially an obscure guy called Bob Dylan. Interestingly enough, the first song that really made me want to dig deeper was Like a Rolling Stone, which critics also seem to have taken a bit of a liking to. I discovered this site a few years ago through a link on They Shoot Pictures and when I saw the number one song here I thought I had found the site that might help me get to know more great music.

From there it seems the same thing happened to me as many here: this site turned out not only to have great album and songs lists, but also a great forum. Like many I liked the way people communicated with each other here. The reason I never found a truly interesting music forum before is because most I knew where mostly ruined by the anger of people who couldn't believe others might have different tastes than them. It seems music, more than movies for example, is for many people very strictly tied to their identity in some way. Acclaimed Music is not only more open, but the people here usually have a great appreciation for many genres. Nobody can like everything, but it's great to meet people who like to hop around different musical genres, what I like to do to. Some types of music I seem to like more often than others (folk is usually hit, while gangster rap mostly misses), but I'm always hoping to expand my horizons and AM has helped well in the past few years. I'm still very much a novice however and constantly in awe of the broad knowledge of music I find here. There are too many legendary albums or even acts I'm still not familiar with, but I hope to get up to speed. Will take many years, I guess.

It's hard to say what I like most in music. It really depends on the song/ album/ artist. As someone who's roots are in storytelling media (besides film, I've always been fond of literature) it helps if great lyrics are involved, but I can as easily like something without any lyrics. I do have a preference for great voices. Not necessarily technically great singing, but voices with a lot of personality, ranging from wonderful "ugly" singing like Dylan and Waits, to more traditional beautiful voices like Art Garfunkel or Frank Sinatra. Another thing I'm always fascinated by, in music as well a movies or any art, is how it moves me and why some works do and some works don't. One last curious observation that I like to make is that despite my love of movies I barely can stand video clips, perhaps because songs always conjure up images in my head and am a bit annoyed when the clip does something completely else. Childish, but I can't help it. Only abstract clips, without a narrative, seem to work.

Because I've seen some other movie loving people use this topic to post their top 10 movies I thought I do the same. However, last week I made my annual top 100, so I can't resist in posting that list in full:

1. Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)
2. The Big Lebowski (Joel Coen, 1998)
3. C’era Una Volta Il West (Once Upon a Time in the West; Sergio Leone, 1968)
4. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
5. Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999)
6. Mimi wo Sumaseba (Whisper of the Heart; Yoshifumi Kondo, 1995)
7. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)
8. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
9. Adaptation. (Spike Jonze, 2002)
10. La Grande Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1937)
11. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones, 1975)
12. The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton, 1955)
13. Nashville (Robert Altman, 1975)
14. Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959)
15. It’s a Wonderful Life (Frank Capra, 1946)
16. North by Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock, 1959)
17. Idi I Smotri (Come and See; Elem Klimov, 1985)
18. Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon, 1997)
19. Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)
20. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
21. Tôkyô Monogatari (Tokyo Story; Yasujirô Ozu, 1953)
22. My Darling Clementine (John Ford, 1946)
23. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (F.W. Murnau, 1927)
24. Rear Window (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954)
25. In a Lonely Place (Nicholas Ray, 1950)
26. A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)
27. Punch-Drunk Love (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002)
28. His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks, 1940)
29. Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick, 1957)
30. Singin’ in the Rain (Gene Kelly & Stanley Donen, 1952)
31. M (Fritz Lang, 1931)
32. Los Olvidados (The Young and the Damned; Luis Buñuel, 1950)
33. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
34. No Country for Old Men (Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 2007)
35. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Peter Jackson, 2001, 2002 & 2003)
36. Il Buono, il Brutto, il Cattivo (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Sergio Leone, 1966)
37. Murder, My Sweet (Edward Dmytryk, 1944)
38. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
39. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
40. A Serious Man (Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 2009)
41. Sideways (Alexander Payne, 2004)
42. Cría Cuervos (Carlos Saura, 1976)
43. The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese, 2013)
44. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
45. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)
46. Fanny och Alexander (Fanny and Alexander; Ingmar Bergman, 1982)
47. Shane (George Stevens, 1953)
48. The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)
49. Strangers on a Train (Alfred Hitchcock, 1951)
50. The Red Shoes (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1948)
51. Le Notti di Cabiria (Nights of Cabiria; Federico Fellini, 1957)
52. The Big Sleep (Howard Hawks, 1946)
53. Kaguyahime no monogatari (The Tale of Princess Kaguya; Isao Takahata, 2013)
54. All That Jazz (Bob Fosse, 1979)
55. City Lights (Charles Chaplin, 1931)
56. Notorious (Alfred Hitchcock, 1946)
57. The Lion King (Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff, 1994)
58. Fargo (Joel Coen, 1996)
59. Boogie Nights (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997)
60. Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog, 1982)
61. Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992)
62. The Truman Show (Peter Weir, 1998)
63. The Maltese Falcon (John Huston, 1941)
64. Midnight Cowboy (John Schlesinger, 1969)
65. Dog Day Afternoon (Sydney Lumet, 1975)
66. Radio Days (Woody Allen, 1987)
67. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)
68. Lolita (Stanley Kubrick, 1962)
69. Wall-E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
70. Barton Fink (Joel Coen, 1991)
71. Napoléon (Abel Gance, 1927)
72. Tenkû no Shiro Rapyuta (Laputa: Castle in the Sky; Hayao Miyazaki, 1986)
73. Life of Brian (Terry Jones, 1979)
74. Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009)
75. Toy Story Trilogy (John Lasseter, Lee Unkrich & Ash Brannon, 1995, 1999 & 2010)
76. Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967)
77. Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell, 2012)
78. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Tomas Alfredson, 2011)
79. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese, 1990)
80. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)
81. Ed Wood (Tim Burton, 1994)
82. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
83. Before Sunrise, Before Sunset & Before Midnight (Richard Linklater, 1995, 2004 & 2013)
84. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg, 1981)
85. Der Himmel über Berlin (Wings of Desire; Wim Wenders, 1987)
86. Mononoke-Hime (Princess Mononoke; Hayao Miyazaki, 1997)
87. Sherlock Jr. (Buster Keaton, 1924)
88. Rekopis Znazeliony w Saragossi (The Saragossa Manuscript; Wojciech Has, 1965)
89. Hannah and Her Sisters (Woody Allen, 1986)
90. Die Nibelungen (Fritz Lang, 1924)
91. Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor, 1923)
92. 4 Luni, 3 Săptămâni şi 2 Zile (4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days; Cristian Mungiu, 2007)
93. The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960)
94. Shichinin no Samurai (Seven Samurai; Akira Kurosawa, 1954)
95. Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)
96. Die Hard (John McTiernan, 1988)
97. Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
98. Our Hospitality (Buster Keaton & John G. Blystone, 1923)
99. The Best Years of Our Lives (William Wyler, 1946)
100. The Jungle Book (Wolfgang Reithermann, 1967)

I should note that I have seen over 2500 films, so this is still only a small selection. If a general beloved film is missing it doesn't mean I don't like it.

Lastly, I should also admit some plagiarism I did from this forum. A year and a half ago I discovered the top 1000 song poll here and thought it would be nice to do the same thing on a Dutch movie website I'm active on. So I organized a greatest movie poll there, based around the top 250-500 movies of 37 participating users. The formula I used I shamelessly stole from this site. For those interested, the results are here: http://www.moviemeter.nl/forum/18/13391/0. If it seems there is a curious absence of comments on it, they are moved to another part of the site. And are in Dutch.

So, that's a bit (or a bit much) about me. To celebrate I added an avatar, based on the cover of Music from the Penguin Cafe.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Everybody's talking about movies.

I made an IMDB list for that.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls058545001/?publish=save

Sorry if it's late, I just got around to making a Top 100. Last poll was half that size.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Hello. My name is Mohul. I live in India, and my family is Indian, but I was born in the U.S.A. I'm 15 years old. I love music, movies, books and video games. I listen to all kinds of music, from classical, to jazz, to indie rock, but my favorite would be progressive rock and art rock.

Since everyone here is talking about movies, here is a list of my favorite ones:
1. Mulholland Dr.
2. the Godfather 2
3. Fight Club
4. Bicycle Thieves
5. Vertigo
6. Raging Bull
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Blue Velvet
9. M
10. the Big Lebowski
11. Goodfellas
12. Reservoir Dogs
13. Moulin Rouge
14. L.A. Confidential
15. Groundhog Day
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

luney6 wrote:Hello. My name is Mohul. I live in India, and my family is Indian, but I was born in the U.S.A. I'm 15 years old.
Another young gun! Unfortunately, I'll be twenty in just two months, so I don't know if I can hold that distinction anymore.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Re: Who's who in Acclaimed Music Forums : the demographic thread

Post by DocBrown »

Long time since new members introduced themselves. Any takers?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

whuntva wrote:
luney6 wrote:Hello. My name is Mohul. I live in India, and my family is Indian, but I was born in the U.S.A. I'm 15 years old.
Another young gun! Unfortunately, I'll be twenty in just two months, so I don't know if I can hold that distinction anymore.
I'm 18, so I guess that means I'm not the youngest gun anymore.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

DocBrown wrote:Long time since new members introduced themselves. Any takers?
DocBrown wrote:Long time since new members introduced themselves. Any takers?
Alright, I'll have a go - I've posted so much, yet I've never taken much time to introduce myself.

My name is Joe, I'm 18 and from New York City. I'm starting college in a few weeks, so that's exciting. The arts are my big passion. I love writing, drawing, acting (I'm a prospective theatre major), and, of course, music. I started taking a major interest in music around 2015, although I've always paid at least tangential interest in the music around me every day. Art has always helped me express myself when I've found it hard, especially when I was younger and had a disorder that made social interaction difficult (one of my favorite memories from when I was younger is drumming along to "Movin' Out" and "Saturday Night" in my school's concert revue. It was all songs from the '70s, you see). Oh yeah, and I've been drumming for almost ten years. Hoping to be in a band in college, but I have no idea when I'll have the time.

I always value socializing now - it comes more easy to me, although I get a tad anxious if I have nobody to talk to. My tastes in music mostly lean toward alternative anything (rock, R&B, hip-hop), most classic hip-hop and R&B (especially funk), some modern hip-hop, country songs by badass women, and a fair deal of classic rock. Really though, I like just about everything (except screamo, bro country, light pop, and whatever Aphex Twin is).

I'm glad I know you guys. This forum has been very good for me, I think.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
LDKitz
I'm New Here

Post by LDKitz »

Whassup , Kitz here , 23 years old from italy..
Music is always been in my life since i can remember , thankfully to my older brother , who directed me through the cultural and historical part of it.
Im not one of those who grew up listening only to 1 genre , i do listen every fking genre :) , and that rly helps for composition.
I've been playing guitar for 7 years , i remember when i first started playing , i would play 4 hours each fking day , and in fact i learned rly rly fast..
Only 3-4 months ago i started making HipHop beats and producing..Hip Hop will always be my favourite genre for its semplicity and immediacy .. and the bounce ofc :mrgreen:
Anyway imma stop here...I hope to meet cool people.

Peace.
Reverend Moonjava
Superunknown

Post by Reverend Moonjava »

Hi, I've been a lurker for a bit and decided to make an account when I saw this thread pop up, and then it took me a month to get around to actually posting in it. I'm a shut-in bum with no friends from New York. I'm not sure how much there is to tell about someone who has never really done anything, but I'll give it a go.

I'm unusual in that I didn't really pay any attention to music until a few years ago now, and there has actually never been a time where I paid attention to the current popular music. I was already an eccentric loner, but listening to rock music turned me into some kind of bohemian and now I don't shave and parents disapprove of me. I used to read a lot as a kid, when they tested me in the 6th grade I was at a college reading level, but eventually school broke me of that habit and I've probably read less than twenty books in the last seven years. I like to think I have some writing ability because of this but I'm not sure that's the case. The only interest I've kept throughout my life is video games. It fascinates me how complex a video game really is. I've always been the kind of person to pick up on small details, and there's so many layers there to look at with games. You don't just think of what concept would make a fun game, to make something great you need physics and visual, sound, and tactile feedback so it feels good to play, you need writing, music, art... The amount of different things you need to take into account just to make one level of a simple Super Mario-type game is astounding.
Strawberry Fields for Kashmir

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”