"Biggest Fan" for Albums?

Would you be interested in a game for albums that received only one vote in the albums poll?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:28 pm

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 15

Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

"Biggest Fan" for Albums?

Post by Schüttelbirne »

A while back some people had the idea to do something like "Biggest Fan" for the albums that only received one vote in the albums poll (I think it was spiritualized and mileswide, but maybe my mind mixed those two up, sorry if that's the case).
Since Holden is currently presenting the results, I wanted to bring this up again because it seemed a good idea to me at the time.

But I obviously don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this way, so here's a poll to determine if enough people are interested that it would make sense to initiate a game like that and space to discuss the way how to do it.

A few ideas that come to mind:

1. A copy of "Biggest Fan" only with albums instead of songs and weekly instead of daily. There's less weeks than days in a year (surprising, right?), so a Top 100 would only take shape after almost two years of doing it.

2. Each person chooses one album from his list (or the randomizer chooses it for them) and those albums are either pit against each other in a tournament, or are ranked. The problem here is obviously that it requires a lot of time. It may also be too close to Moderately Acclaimed Album to make sense to do it that way.

3. Two albums are pit against each other; the winner moves on to the next round. There it faces a new album; the winner moves on etc. If an album proves itself so likeable that it wins a bunch of match-ups in a row, it could move on to a "Hall of Fame" to make sure, it's not just the same album all the time.

These are just some ideas, there are probably more possibilities of doing this. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Re: "Biggest Fan" for Albums?

Post by Holden »

Maybe an album everyone Sunday and Thursday, or something to that effect? Twice a week seems doable to me.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
styrofoamboots
Wannabe

Post by styrofoamboots »

I think randomized selections are the way to go, and one album per week would be more feasible
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I actually wanted to run this but was waiting for the final results. I was thinking of a random album every week, in the same format as Rob is running Biggest Fan.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

spiritualized wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:08 pm I actually wanted to run this but was waiting for the final results. I was thinking of a random album every week, in the same format as Rob is running Biggest Fan.
That's great!
I just wanted to make sure this was not a throwaway idea that was gonna be forgotten about.
I'll be looking forward to it. :D
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm all for it, but like others I think one random album a week is the way to go, with a grade instead of pitting two albums against each other. It takes long to make a top 100, but perhaps you could instead do a top list after each year?
Last edited by Rob on Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Rob wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:14 am I'm all for it, but like others I think one rando =m album a week is the way to go, with a grade instead of pitting two albums against each other. It takes long to make a top 100, but perhaps you could instead do a top list after each year?
Yes, totally in agreement.
I think it will be far less popular than your song-based thread, as it is quite easy to listen to these songs. Albums may be a bit more taxing, but it will nonetheless be a brilliant source of new music for me.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I’ve received Holden spreadsheet and let’s say I am shocked at the number of one vote albums.

Just shy of 5000 !
Might as well say that it’ll take 100 years to go through the list...
They will be whole discographies for certain artists and just like Biggest Fan, some forumers will be more represented in the game.

However there is a huge potential for discovery.
I now wonder if one album a week is a little bit restrictive !

I should start this straight after the final results of the AT rollout.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

spiritualized wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:30 pm I’ve received Holden spreadsheet and let’s say I am shocked at the number of one vote albums.

Just shy of 5000 !
Might as well say that it’ll take 100 years to go through the list...
They will be whole discographies for certain artists and just like Biggest Fan, some forumers will be more represented in the game.

However there is a huge potential for discovery.
I now wonder if one album a week is a little bit restrictive !
The song list had over 13.000 unique votes and I never made completing it a goal. I think nobody is going to clear the complete list of 5000 albums here, so it is best to just focus on the journey.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”