Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.15

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.15

Post by Brad »

Welcome to round 1.15 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2020!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = June 23rd at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=473090

Match-ups:
1. Robyn - Robyn vs. Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
2. Bert Jansch - Bert Jansch vs. Blondie - Eat to the Beat
3. Washed Out - Within and Without vs. Air Supply - The Earth Is...
4. Legendary Pink Dots - Any Day Now vs. Levellers - Levelling The Land

They're foxy to me
Are they foxy to you?
I will agree
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.15

Post by Schüttelbirne »

1. 5 | Robyn - Robyn vs. 1 | Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
2. 3 | Bert Jansch - Bert Jansch vs. 2 | Blondie - Eat to the Beat
3. 7 | Washed Out - Within and Without vs. 8 | Air Supply - The Earth Is...
4. 6 | Legendary Pink Dots - Any Day Now vs. 4 | Levellers - Levelling The Land
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

5 | Robyn | Robyn
1 | Janelle Monáe | The ArchAndroid

2 | Bert Jansch | Bert Jansch
3 | Blondie | Eat to the Beat

7 | Washed Out | Within and Without
8 | Air Supply | The Earth Is...

4 | Legendary Pink Dots | Any Day Now
6 | Levellers | Levelling The Land

Favourite song of the week: Bert Jansch | Needle of Death
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

LunarPiper
Different Class

Post by LunarPiper »

1. Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
2. Blondie - Eat to the Beat
3. Washed Out - Within and Without
4. Levellers - Levelling The Land
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

JANELLE MONAE - THE ARCHANDROID
BLONDIE - EAT TO THE BEAT
WASHED OUT - WITHIN AND WITHOUT
LEVELLERS - LEVELLING THE LAND
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Eat to the Beat is a good discovery that's now on my all-time list.
I feel like that
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Pass
Blondie | Eat to the Beat
Pass
Pass
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The Archandroid 92 - Robyn 85
Bert Jansch 94 - Eat To The Beat 79
Within and Without 85 - The Earth Is... 66
Levelling The Land 74 - Any Day Now 56

Air Supply may take the new top prize for "Schamltziest band I've ever heard".
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Robyn is one of those weird cases again where I have to ask which version we are voting for. The album is from 2005, but in 2007 it was re-released with a couple of songs added and a new track order. This version has become the standard. Usually I am all for going with the original release, but in this case I feel that the 2007 edition has very much deserved it's right to become the standard. I think the newly added songs are the highlight and that the new sequencing is superior to the original. What do others think? Does it matter which version we vote for? To be fair, The ArchAndroid is going to get my vote no matter what, but I felt it is a question that needs to be asked.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Rob wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 pm Robyn is one of those weird cases again where I have to ask which version we are voting for. The album is from 2005, but in 2007 it was re-released with a couple of songs added and a new track order. This version has become the standard. Usually I am all for going with the original release, but in this case I feel that the 2007 edition has very much deserved it's right to become the standard. I think the newly added songs are the highlight and that the new sequencing is superior to the original. What do others think? Does it matter which version we vote for? To be fair, The ArchAndroid is going to get my vote no matter what, but I felt it is a question that needs to be asked.
FrankLotion would be the man to ask. I agree I would typically use the original, but there are rare cases where reissues are justified.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Brad wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:01 pm
Rob wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 pm Robyn is one of those weird cases again where I have to ask which version we are voting for. The album is from 2005, but in 2007 it was re-released with a couple of songs added and a new track order. This version has become the standard. Usually I am all for going with the original release, but in this case I feel that the 2007 edition has very much deserved it's right to become the standard. I think the newly added songs are the highlight and that the new sequencing is superior to the original. What do others think? Does it matter which version we vote for? To be fair, The ArchAndroid is going to get my vote no matter what, but I felt it is a question that needs to be asked.
FrankLotion would be the man to ask. I agree I would typically use the original, but there are rare cases where reissues are justified.
I had the 2007 version in mind when I nominated it so I’d say let’s treat that as the one we’re evaluating. Though I too will most likely be voting for ArchAndroid either way...
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
Blondie - Eat to the Beat
Washed Out - Within and Without
Levellers - Levelling The Land
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
CupOfDreams
Different Class

Post by CupOfDreams »

Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
Blondie - Eat to the Beat
Washed Out - Within and Without
Legendary Pink Dots - Any Day Now
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

4. Legendary Pink Dots - Any Day Now
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

4. Robyn - Robyn v. 1. Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
6. Bert Jansch - Bert Jansch v. 3. Blondie - Eat to the Beat
5. Washed Out - Within and Without v. 8. Air Supply - The Earth Is...
7. The Legendary Pink Dots - Any Day Now v. 2. Levellers - Levelling the Land

Standout tracks: With Every Heartbeat | Cold War | Needle of Death | Living in the Real World | Soft | Dancing with the Mountain | Casting the Runes | Battle of the Beanfield
All I got inside is vacancy!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

8. Air Supply – The Earth Is…
Like Jirin already said, it is hard to imagine any band being more schmaltzy than Air Supply. If only it was as a bit like Baz Luhrmann’s Moulin Rouge!, a movie that stacks kitsch upon kitsch and becomes transcendent and amazing as a result. Alas, The Earth Is… just feels insincere and overwrought from the first song to the last, like two guys who want to force us to think they are sensitive and care about you and the world. I only liked the short percussion break on Dame Amor, because it is something else than SCHMALTZ written in capital letters.

7. Washed Out – Within and Without
An album that veers quite close to ambient, but never quite becomes that. It is just calm, non-assuming electronic music, with a slight summer vibe. It’s nice, but also something I forget rather quickly. Almost inevitably, I don’t have much to say about it. Great cover art though.

6. Levellers – Levelling the Land
The mashup of Irish fiddling and rock of The Waterboys, the grant statements of the also Irish U2 and a voice extremely reminiscent of not-Irish-but-the-next-best-thing-namely-Welsh Richey Edwards of Manic Street Preachers: it all comes together in Levelling the Land. That album title is hardly a boast, because this band sounds probably as huge as a band that uses Irish fiddles ever had. I mean, Irish music is frequently jubilant and sometimes the lyrics are epic, but Levellers succeed in making the sound fit for stadiums. This does not mean that their music or lyrics ever get as good as The Waterboys or U2. Still, during a certain time in the eighties, before The Waterboys decided to dial back their scope and made Fisherman’s Blues they were predicted to become bigger than U2. That never happened, but Levelling the Land is a nice answer to the question: how would The Waterboys have sounded if they would have become as big as U2?

The album itself is quite good, with a consistent set of captivating tunes. I’m a bit past the point were I think the kind of grandstanding that we find in their lyrics is meaningful and there isn’t much depth here, but it is a fun ride, good for some fist bumping moments.

5. The Legendary Pink Dots – Any Day Now
Although a British band from origin, I just learned that for a long time now they are based in my hometown, Nijmegen in The Netherlands. I mean, I never heard of them before, but they apparently have a cult status, so that is cool right?
This is tough music to get into. It reminds me of the more extreme examples of prog rock of the late sixties and seventies; those that were closer to the avant-garde than to, say, classical music or psychedelic rock. Indeed, it feels a bit as a lost album of that era, if it weren’t for some very eighties synths that show up from time to time. At its best it is majestic and mysterious music, even if the lyrics are tad too silly to really compete with the greater of these albums. There are songs that never took a shape I connected to, but highlights like Neon Mariners and Under Glass make up for it. Apparently they have an enormous discography, much of it rated very solidly at RYM, and they also have cult following. Perhaps something to look into more in the future.

4. Blondie – Eat to the Beat
There was apparently a time that Blondie could be filed under punk, but by the time we came to Eat to the Beat their closest kinship must have been Abba. They are still a bit rougher than that Swedish band, but that doesn’t take any work. This is mostly very danceable pop music. Most of it is very good, with sparkling melodies on Dreaming, Union City Blue and Accidents Never Happen, as well a more playful explorations on Atomic and the weird Victor. Having Debbie Harry as a vocalist doesn’t hurt. This isn’t a perfect album to me however, as some songs just don’t take off as well as I might like. Shayla for example feels underdeveloped, Sound-A-Sleep lives up to its title too much and which one was Die Young Stay Pretty again? Still, it adds a lot of essentials to the Blondie catalogue, even if by this time they would become more and more a singles band.

3. Robyn – Robyn
I have never cared much for Robyn before, so why do I suddenly care now? It’s not that I ever thought she was bad, but she didn’t strike me as particular original and she works in a Madonna-type pop I’m not all that fond of. That all didn’t change, but suddenly while listening to this album she clicked with me. Not in a way that she is suddenly becoming a big favorite, but I did think this album is a very good listen. It is a rare pure pop album with no filler at all and where the catchiness does not get annoying. It doesn’t strike me as deeply emotional, but it certainly has feeling. Songs like Be Mine!, With Every Heartbeat and the awesome Cobrastyle are just great. Dunno, sometimes things just work.

2. Bert Jansch – Bert Jansch
A folk album from 1965, but not one you would quite expect. This came out just after Dylan had exploded on the scene and as such many artists in these are automatically compared to Dylan (well that is still happening nowadays). This is not always deserved, as is the case with Bert Jansch, who I feel was going for something different. It is unusual for me to hear a folk album with so many instrumental interludes. Indeed, at one point Jansch put two such songs – Finches and Veronica – back to back. Jansch’ lyrics are more than fine and he is a good singer, but at least on this album I feel he expresses himself best through his guitar. There is a sense of a simpler take on American primitivism in his music (and yes, I know Jansch was Scottish). He is a very expressive player, something that was important in older takes on folk music, but would soon be relegated to the background. It is an album with a lot of atmosphere, not incomparable with Nick Drake, who might have been influenced by Jansch. Beautiful stuff.

1. Janelle Monáe – The ArchAndroid
One of those albums that doesn’t really feel moderately acclaimed, but I guess with a placement of #509 it qualifies. Besides, in the accumulated End of Decade lists of the 2010’s the album ranks only at #71, so it isn’t likely to rise during the next update. Let’s just set the record straight on this one: ArchAndroid is way too obvious a masterpiece to be here. Of course, there are more overlooked masterpieces in here, but there was a time when this one wasn’t overlooked and wasn’t eligible for this game. Some albums fall in acclaim over year, but I don’t have a clue how it could happen to this one.

The ArchAndroid is simply awesome. From the Suite II Overture starts with it’s epic movie sweep, it is just a great ride. The first five songs flow into one another with such ease that it seems effortless. Then we have the two most famous songs of the album: Cold War and Tightrope. The latter is also one of the great songs of the decade to me, a mix of rap and James Brown funk that still points a way to the future. Best song of the whole Moderately Acclaimed Poll of 2020? Maybe. After that, it again flows along very nicely. Maybe there is a little dip at two-thirds, but nothing too major. What I love is how much elements are in play: I already mentioned hip hop, funk and movie music, but there is also bruill building songwriter stuff, soul, dance, rock, pop and 57821 even sounds like something that could have been part of Simon & Garfunkel’s Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme.

What’s most remarkable is that all these elements don’t just work together, but that there is a natural flow in the way these things appear. Even all of the featuring artists, something I frequently find unnecessary or even hindering in music, fall right into place. It feels like Monáe isn’t just a great performer and songwriter here, but also something of a director, orchestrating the many elements with an ease that is simply awesome (though it should be said that she is only one of five producers). I don’t even feel any need to talk about the story that this album tries to tell; even without it this is a masterpiece. Hard to top, even by Monáe herself, who has done great work since, but nothing even close to the achievement of The ArchAndroid.

A simple overview of my votes:

Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

2. Bert Jansch - Bert Jansch
4. Legendary Pink Dots - Any Day Now
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

3. Robyn < 1. The ArchAndroid
7. Bert Jansch < 2. Eat to the Beat
4. Within and Without > 8. The Earth Is...
6. Any Day Now < 5. Levelling The Land
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

1. Robyn - Robyn
I love The Archandroid too, but if you asked me which one I'd rather listen to, I'd go to Robyn most of the time. The Be Mine!, With Every Heartbeat, Who's That Girl three peat is marvelous.

The last concert I went to before everything shut down due to COVID 19 was The Legendary Pink Dots and I had never heart about them before that, so that's a fun coincidence to see them in here !
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

1 hour left to vote!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

Thanks!
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

21 total voters:
Akhenaten
Bang Jan
Brad
CupOfDreams
DaveC
FrankLotion
hectorthebat
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Listyguy
LunarPiper
madzong
mileswide
Nassim
PlasticRam
Rdwdbob
Rob
Romain
Safetycat
Schüttelbirne
StevieFan13

Winners:
1. Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid over Robyn - Robyn 17-2
2. Blondie - Eat to the Beat over Bert Jansch - Bert Jansch 14-6
3. Washed Out - Within and Without over Air Supply - The Earth Is... 18-0
4. Levellers - Levelling The Land over Legendary Pink Dots - Any Day Now 11-6

Round 1.16 up soon!
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Wow! Every matchup was basically a thrashing! Pretty much no surprise.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Was the Air Supply album the first to get no votes this year?
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Listyguy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:47 pm Was the Air Supply album the first to get no votes this year?
Yes. Probably the worst skunking ever.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Brad wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:58 pm
Listyguy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:47 pm Was the Air Supply album the first to get no votes this year?
Yes. Probably the worst skunking ever.
There was an Animal Collective album last year that also got 0 votes in the first round. I can't remember it's opponent.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Rob wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:45 am There was an Animal Collective album last year that also got 0 votes in the first round. I can't remember it's opponent.
It was Art Angels, the eventual winner. Can't see the same future for Washed Out but you never know...
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Safetycat wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:04 am
Rob wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:45 am There was an Animal Collective album last year that also got 0 votes in the first round. I can't remember it's opponent.
It was Art Angels, the eventual winner. Can't see the same future for Washed Out but you never know...
Oh, me neither. I actually expect that whoever wins this week in the third match-up is likely to beat Washed Out.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Air Supply is the kind of band they play five times a day in grocery stores.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Jirin wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:51 pm Air Supply is the kind of band they play five times a day in grocery stores.
I don't even think they make it on those playlists anymore

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”