Help Wanted for AMF Best Albums of All-Time Poll 2020

Holden
Never Going Back Again

Help Wanted for AMF Best Albums of All-Time Poll 2020

Post by Holden »

Hello! Holden here. I am running this 2020 Edition of AMF's Favorite Albums of All-Time, and I have come to ask for some help, if any of you would like to lend your time. Since the deadline is months away, I only have six lists so far, but that already totals to 1700+ albums! I assume that I'll want people to help more in the future so it's probably good to make this thread now, but for now one of the more time consuming aspects is adding years to all of those albums! I have about 700 left to go in that regard. Below is a spreadsheet with all of the albums that do not have years yet in my master spreadsheet, listed alphabetically by artist. If you find yourself with some free time and enjoy this type of stuff, have at it! If not, no pressure, the poll is still a long way off!

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Re: Help Wanted for AMF Best Albums of All-Time Poll 2020

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I just filled in some of the release years. I'll fill in more later on.
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

I've added some as well but I have a question:

For purposes of the all-time list, if an album is composed of archival material, is the year considered to be when the recordings it contains were actually RECORDED or when the work was made AVAILABLE to consumers?

Case in point:
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... /patterns/

Album was recorded in 1968 but you couldn't buy the thing until 1980.
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Father2TheMan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:44 pm I've added some as well but I have a question:

For purposes of the all-time list, if an album is composed of archival material, is the year considered to be when the recordings it contains were actually RECORDED or when the work was made AVAILABLE to consumers?

Case in point:

I would vote for year of release. To use a perfectly random example that has nothing to do with the fact that the primary creator is your photo icon, The Smile Sessions should be classified as a 2011 album, even though it was obviously recorded in 1966-67.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Harold wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 pm
Father2TheMan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:44 pm I've added some as well but I have a question:

Case in point:

I would vote for year of release. To use a perfectly random example that has nothing to do with the fact that the primary creator is your photo icon, The Smile Sessions should be classified as a 2011 album, even though it was obviously recorded in 1966-67.
Most definitely use year of release. Thanks for all your help!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

It’d be kind of funny if they went by year of recording in terms of general canon. I can see the headlines: “New 2020 Rolling Stones Release is the by far best album of 1968!”
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Also for sources, I always use AM and then RYM for years. I’ve only ever seen one incorrect date on AM (White Light/White Heat by VU). If in question use your best judgment, I’ll review all of the top 1000ish before posting the results.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

I have also added a few years on the spreadsheet. I think the Lenny Kravitz title is wrong? ("Let Love Rule" instead of "In") I wasn't sure about Penderecki either, because that wasn't listed as a separate album.

Holden, do you prefer the lists to be posted here or to get a Google spreadsheet? I'm still doubting between a top 500 and a top 1000, but I don't want to give you endless work.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

bonnielaurel wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:42 pm I have also added a few years on the spreadsheet. I think the Lenny Kravitz title is wrong? ("Let Love Rule" instead of "In") I wasn't sure about Penderecki either, because that wasn't listed as a separate album.

Holden, do you prefer the lists to be posted here or to get a Google spreadsheet? I'm still doubting between a top 500 and a top 1000, but I don't want to give you endless work.
I think it’s nice to post the lists in the thread so everyone can see each other’s, but it would be awesome if you put it in a google spreadsheet as well, make my life a lot easier!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Thank you all so much! I just went on to see all of the years filled in!!! That's seriously SO helpful!!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Okay, maybe I'm just missing something, but is Mahmoud Ahmed's self-titled album and the album Ere Mela Mela the same album? They have the same release year (1975), and I haven't managed to find any source that lists them both under his discography...
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Holden wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:29 pm Okay, maybe I'm just missing something, but is Mahmoud Ahmed's self-titled album and the album Ere Mela Mela the same album? They have the same release year (1975), and I haven't managed to find any source that lists them both under his discography...
They are the same album. Although the Ethiopiques 7 version (released 1999) has been remixed and had four extra tracks added.

The version on Spotify called "Ere Mela Mela - Modern Music from Ethiopia" is the 1986 reissue and is closer to the original.

As we don't distinguish remix/extended versions you can treat all as one album.

NB There are also 1973 and 1974 self-titled albums. Since rereleased as
Éthiopiques, Volume 6: Almaz: 1973 and
Éthiopiques, Volume 19: Alemye 1974
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

DaveC wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:56 pm
Holden wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:29 pm Okay, maybe I'm just missing something, but is Mahmoud Ahmed's self-titled album and the album Ere Mela Mela the same album? They have the same release year (1975), and I haven't managed to find any source that lists them both under his discography...
They are the same album. Although the Ethiopiques 7 version (released 1999) has been remixed and had four extra tracks added.

The version on Spotify called "Ere Mela Mela - Modern Music from Ethiopia" is the 1986 reissue and is closer to the original.

As we don't distinguish remix/extended versions you can treat all as one album.

NB There are also 1973 and 1974 self-titled albums. Since rereleased as
Éthiopiques, Volume 6: Almaz: 1973 and
Éthiopiques, Volume 19: Alemye 1974
Thank you!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I am once again asking for your help! More of the same, adding years to this spreadsheet (same one as above):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Thank you so much for all of your help! No pressure to help, just if you enjoy this type of stuff. And if you notice a small spelling error or something similar, feel free to fix it! However, if you see something that would disrupt spreadsheet order, such as having the same album listed twice, let me know instead of just changing it! Thanks so much, again!

Also, Henry and Fred, I have sent you PMs regarding your lists. A few duplicates. Thanks!
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Holden wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:07 am I am once again asking for your help! More of the same, adding years to this spreadsheet (same one as above):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Thank you so much for all of your help! No pressure to help, just if you enjoy this type of stuff. And if you notice a small spelling error or something similar, feel free to fix it! However, if you see something that would disrupt spreadsheet order, such as having the same album listed twice, let me know instead of just changing it! Thanks so much, again!

Also, Henry and Fred, I have sent you PMs regarding your lists. A few duplicates. Thanks!
I just filled in the "A" artists, if I have more time this week I'll try and do some more.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

I filled in 'B'-'E' and corrected some obvious mistakes.
Here are a few important things:

I am not sure about the Bill Haley & His Comets albums; AM lists both of them as the same album, because the 1955 release is mostly a reissue/complilation of songs from the 1954 release. In the present day it would maybe be seen as a "Deluxe version", so the votes should be joined?

There are two bands called The Charlatans, both of which have released a self-titled album. Whoever voted for this should specify which band he/she means.

Same with Chelsea; there's two bands with self-titled albums.

Eric Carmen released two self-titled albums, one in 1975 and another one in 1984.

And here's a few small things (I'm not sure if it's mistakes, so I didn't correct them):

Jump Up Calypso is by Harry Belafonte
Everybody Digs Bill Evans is credited to Bill Evans Trio
Bob Evans is a pseudonym of Kevin Mitchell (I don't know if this is relevant).
All the Bob Seger albums are credited to Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band.
Officially they seem to be called The Buggles.
Everyday is credited to the Dave Matthews Band.
The Death Cab for Cutie album is called Narrow Stairs.
RYM and Wikipedia list the Djeli Moussa Diawara album under Yasimika.
The Eddie Cochran album is listed on RYM and Wikipedia as The Eddie Cochran Memorial Album.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I went with whatever it says on RYM so that's why it was Belafonte and Buggles.

Chelsea is the one from 1970.

I guess I rated and listed the wrong issue of the Diawara album so now I've corrected it as it is indeed Yasimika. I think I corrected it on the spreadsheet too.
I feel like that
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Filled in everything until "J".

Some things:

The Grand Wazoo is officially credited to The Mothers.
From Here to Eternity probably means the Giorgio Moroder album (Maybe there's some obscure album by an artist just called Giorgio, just making sure).
Torture Garden is credited to Naked City.
Johnny Cash's Unchained probably means American II: Unchained, doesn't it?
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:05 pm
From Here to Eternity probably means the Giorgio Moroder album (Maybe there's some obscure album by an artist just called Giorgio, just making sure).
Again, I went with what it says on RYM. I hope there aren't more of these.
I feel like that
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

PlasticRam wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:42 pm
Schüttelbirne wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:05 pm
Again, I went with what it says on RYM. I hope there aren't more of these.
It does just say "Giorgio" on RYM and what I meant by putting it down wasn't that it's some kind of mistake, but rather me making sure I added the year for the right album, because I don't want to be the person responsible for some mistake. If it comes across as overly pedantic, I'm sorry.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

No it's completely fine. Just wanted there to be no confusion.
I feel like that
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

I did everything up until "R".

The Keith Jarrett album is called The Melody at Night, with You. I corrected it.
There's a double mention for the Kings of Leon album Only by the Night, Only by Night doesn't exist.
Does Maurice André's Music for Weddings refer to this release? Then it should probably be credited to Various Artists.
Easter is credited to the Patti Smith Group. I corrected it.
Venus and Mars is credited to Wings while Red Rose Speedway is credited to Paul McCartney and Wings. But in the interest of keeping them together, I just left "Paul McCartney" standing.
Is this the correct version of Domingo? That would be 1992, but maybe there's another album.
A Whiter Shade of Pale probably refers to the reissue of 1967's Procol Harum, right?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:06 pm I did everything up until "R".

The Keith Jarrett album is called The Melody at Night, with You. I corrected it.
There's a double mention for the Kings of Leon album Only by the Night, Only by Night doesn't exist.
Does Maurice André's Music for Weddings refer to this release? Then it should probably be credited to Various Artists.
Easter is credited to the Patti Smith Group. I corrected it.
Venus and Mars is credited to Wings while Red Rose Speedway is credited to Paul McCartney and Wings. But in the interest of keeping them together, I just left "Paul McCartney" standing.
Is this the correct version of Domingo? That would be 1992, but maybe there's another album.
A Whiter Shade of Pale probably refers to the reissue of 1967's Procol Harum, right?
I have looked into these all, thanks for all your amazing help!!!
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

It's basically filled out now. Just a few things:

There are two self-titled albums by Seal, from 1991 and 1994. The second one is sometimes referred to as Seal II.
I am not sure about the Spinners: There's an album only called Spinners credited to Spinners, there's an album called The Spinners by The Spinners and two albums by the same band called The Spinners Volume One and The Spinners: Volume 2, respectively.
The album by The Beach Boys is called The Beach Boys Today! everywhere I looked. I corrected it.
Is this the correct release for The Beach Boys' Heroes and Villains? I can't find anything else.
RYM and Wikipedia list the band just as Eagles (without "The").
Groovin' should be credited to The Young Rascals, if I'm not mistaken.
Crimson & Clover is credited to Tommy James & The Shondells.
Rattus Norvegus appears twice, credited to Stranglers and to The Stranglers.
Born Sandy Devotional is credited to The Triffids.
I expanded the title to Woodstock: Music from the Original Soundtrack and More from 1970, which is probably the correct release.
The releases Cruel Summer and Kanye West Presents Good Music Cruel Summer seem to be the same. The release year is 2012.
Happy Birthday, Newport! 50 Swinging Years was released in 2004 and according to this review by the Amazon staff, only one song on there hadn't been released before 1955, which makes this a compilation. I don't know which compilations are eligible; I just wanted to mention it.
X-Ray Spex's Germfree Adolescents has a duplicate.
I can't find anything on a Ximena Sarifiana. There is however a Ximena Sariñana. Maybe the text program interpreted the "ñ" as "fi" (wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened). The release year for her self-titled album would be 2011.
Discogs lists Yuzo Koshiro's album as Bare Knuckle II but the album cover clearly says Bare Nuckle II, so I left the capital N.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

The Spinners album that is in my top 1000 is "Spinners" which was released in 1973 according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinners_(album) .

The Ximena Sarinana album from 2011 is also in my top 1000.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Music For Weddings should indeed be Various Artists, release date is 1984

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”