What is the most influential music publication?

Jimoincolor
Let's Get It On

What is the most influential music publication?

Post by Jimoincolor »

I guess culturally and historically it is Rolling Stone, but these days Pitchfork seems to have more clout.

I noticed as well that these more rock oriented music publications like Q and Mojo have declined a lot in relevance, while hip hop sites site Complex are more used.

We still have youtubers getting more attention than many of these music sites.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: What is the most influential music publication?

Post by Pierre »

Up to the 60s: Billboard.
60s-late 70s (maybe mid 80s): Rolling Stone.
By early 2000s: Pitchfork of course.

You can fill the holes with Village Voice I guess?
Jimoincolor
Let's Get It On

Post by Jimoincolor »

What caused Rolling Stone downfall?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jimoincolor wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 pm What caused Rolling Stone downfall?
Mostly their failure to catch up with the emergence of hip-hop and grunge I believe. Also MTV perhaps? People were watching music more than listening to or reading it by the 80s? Not sure, I wasn't there.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

These days it's Pitchfork, but Rolling Stone had a good run.

Outside of publications, somebody like Anthony Fantano has a lot of influence. Every album he's given a 10 to is the #1 or #2 album of its year on RYM. And the two that are #2 are behind another album he gave a 10 to and good kid, m.A.A.d city.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Jimoincolor wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 pm What caused Rolling Stone downfall?
When Rolling Stone released their list of the 100 Best Albums of the Last 20 Years, back in 1987, it was great. When they released their top 500 list a couple decades later, and the top 100 was practically the same albums, it just seemed sad and that they were stuck in the past. This was also reinforced in the '00s and '10s when a bunch of new albums by '60s-'80s musicians started getting 5 stars and Album of the Year awards, some of which hardly seemed deserving of it. (In the '90s, a 5 star album was extremely rare. It's possible that through the whole decade, it only went to R.E.M.'s Automatic for the People, Johnny Cash's American Recordings, and Neil Young's Sleeps with Angels.) Grunge essentially fit in their wheelhouse, but I'd say Rolling Stone lost the plot by this century, and that Jann Wenner should take sizable blame for that for wanting to be bestest buds with all the classic rockers.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

I would Argue it goes like this

Billboard (Pasy - 60s)
Rolling Stone (60s - 90s)
Pitchfork (00s - Present)
Fantano + Independent Reviewers (10s - Present)

I do not wanna go into the debate about Fantano again. I really like his reviewing style quite a bit and had been going at it for over a decade and takes it very seriously so I consider him a professional reviewer but I don't wanna get into this debate on this thread. Needless to say his reviews are tremendously influential on young listeners and even many artists with many artists referring to him (even huge artists like Post Malone have name dropped him in songs)
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

oh and what caused Rolling Stones downfall was easy, they didnt keep up with the times
Edre the Depeche Head
StyleItTakes
Are You Experienced?

Post by StyleItTakes »

MOJO and UNCUT are the two music magazines that I still read every month. I still consider both publications to be highly influential and essential reading.

WIRE is another favourite of mine. I also love Shindig! though their specialty is bygone eras, and not so much in keeping up with the modern music scene.
Why don't you sit right over there
We'll do a movie portrait
I'll turn the camera on
And I won't even be there
A portrait that moves
You look great I think
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Jenn Wenner kills Rolling Stone. They preferred to make happy to Bono than the music nerds.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”