Media Formats - a poll

Which media format do you currently use?

Poll ended at Wed May 20, 2020 8:40 am

Casette
No votes
Compact Disc
14%
Digital Download
23%
DVD
No votes
Streaming
47%
Vinyl
16%
Others
No votes

Total votes: 43

Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Media Formats - a poll

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji »

If spiritualized held a poll about streaming services, this time I held a different poll about media formats. Through the years, the face of media formats can be changed many times from vinyl to casette to compact disc to DVD to digital download to streaming. And what about these media formats?

Vinyl, first use in the 1930s far away from the age of digital download or streaming, its sound depends on its vinyl. The price of vinyl is between $12 and $40.
Casette, this format is one of the two most common formats for prerecorded music between the early 1970s and the 1990s. Its sound was more analog. However, its price is not so high than vinyl, between $6.99 to $14.99. Unfortunately, casette was easily damaged if played many times.
Compact Disc, isn't too far away between this age with the age of digital download. Because, this format was popular in the 1980s. Its sound is more pure. Compact disc is also best known because data can be found there. Unfortunately, when you convert to MP3, it lose its high resolution.
DVD, closer to the age of digital download because it use for the first time in the end of the 1990s. The different between this one with compact disc is DVD contains about 4.7GB memory while compact disc contains about 700MB memory only.
Digital Download, finally or before the age of streaming, digital download began to popular in the 2000s.
Streaming, and then finally again it's time to talking about streaming! Streaming was popular in the 2010s. Amazon Music, Apple Music, Claro Musica, Deezer, Google Play Music, iTunes, Joox, Napster, Shazam, Spotify, Tidal, and YouTube Music, are the best streaming services. In Apple Music, there are about 60 millions songs.

To close this topic, I say a quote to all the AM users, which media format do you currently use?
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time, now Top 500+ and soon grown up to Top 1000+.

Coming soon:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll

Signature:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll is the music version of election day.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Re: Media Formats - a poll

Post by Gillingham »

Why can we only select two options? I regularly use more than too and I won't be the only one.
Wezzo
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Wezzo »

For day-to-day casual listening, I rely on my mp3 library. For focused listening, where I really want to pay attention, it's vinyl. I sometimes listen to CDs and streaming services too, but digital download and vinyl are my top 2.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Every one listed except vinyl
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Gillingham wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm Why can we only select two options?
There are six questions (or seven if added "Others", which means, you're hear these songs outside vinyl, casette, compact disc, DVD, digital download, and streaming). From these questions, you can only answer two options.
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time, now Top 500+ and soon grown up to Top 1000+.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Wezzo wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:48 pm For day-to-day casual listening, I rely on my mp3 library. For focused listening, where I really want to pay attention, it's vinyl. I sometimes listen to CDs and streaming services too, but digital download and vinyl are my top 2.
OK.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Streaming and CD.

Whenever something is, say, in my top ten of a given year, I want a permanent copy of it that isn't affected by changing licensing agreements. Also I bring CDs on car rides because it's easier to change a CD while driving than to type in a new search term. Otherwise I use streaming.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

I mainly stream using Spotify but have digitised all my CD's before I sold them a while ago.

I use my MP3 files for albums / tracks that are not on Spotify e.g.:

- Moby Grape - Moby Grape (Self titled) & Moby Grape - Wow (I managed to buy the proper Sundazed version before the decades long legal wrangling removed it from sale)

- The three Ramones albums featuring Ritchie Ramone (Legal wranglings over royalties have stopped these from making their way onto Spotify)

I'm sure there are others but can't think of them off the top of my head.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”