Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.5

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.5

Post by Brad »

Welcome to round 1.5 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2020!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = April 14th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=473090

Match-ups:
1. Santana - Santana vs. Damien Rice - O
2. The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express vs. The Wedding Present - Seamonsters
3. Sharon Van Etten - Because I Was in Love vs. Passion Pit - Gossamer
4. Focus - In And Out Of Focus vs. Shiro Sagisu - The End of Evangelion

But if we are wise
we know that there's always tomorrow
Last edited by Brad on Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.5

Post by StevieFan13 »

1. Santana - Santana
2. The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond
3. Sharon Van Etten - Because I Was in Love
4. Focus - In And Out Of Focus
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

1. 3 | Santana - Santana vs. 8 | Damien Rice - O
2. 7 | The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express vs. 6 | The Wedding Present - Seamonsters
3. 5 | Sharon Van Etten - Because I Was in Love vs. 4 | Passion Pit - Gossamer
4. 2 | Focus - In And Out Of Focus vs. 1 | Shiro Sagisu - The End of Evangelion

Three of these were VERY hard.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

SANTANA - SANTANA
THE GO-BETWEENS - LIBERTY BELLE AND THE BLACK DIAMOD EXPRESS
PASSION PIT - GOSSAMER
FOCUS - IN AND OUT OF FOCUS
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

2. The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express vs. The Wedding Present - Seamonsters
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

1. Damien Rice - O
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

1. Santana - Santana
2. The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

3 | Santana | Santana
8 | Damien Rice | O

1 | The Go-Betweens | Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express
5 | The Wedding Present | Seamonsters

2 | Sharon Van Etten | Because I Was in Love
7 | Passion Pit | Gossamer

4 | Focus | In And Out Of Focus
6 | Shiro Sagisu | The End of Evangelion

Favourite song of the week: The Go-Betweens | Spring Rain
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji »

I never heard some of them (Sharon Van Etten, Shiro Sagisu, The Wedding Present).

1. Santana - Santana
Today, Santana meet Damien Rice. Between Santana and Damien, Santana was the most popular artist in this tournament because of their contribution with each other like Chad Kroeger of Canadian Alternative Rock band, Nickelback ("Into the Night"; not to be confused with the song of the same name by Benny Mardones), Matchbox Twenty member ("Smooth"), Michelle Branch ("Game of Love"), and even covered a Fleetwood Mac song. In this band, I know Carlos Santana very well. For Damien, in music aspect, Damien was too independent.

2. The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle & The Black Diamond
I don't care how in this tournament independent meet independent. However, heightly, maybe The Go-Betweens is the most popular artist in this tournament.

I only know Passion Pit instead. However, if listeners giving their vote, Sharon Van Etten maybe the most popular artist in this tournament. Between Passion Pit and Sharon Van Etten, some listeners maybe forget Passion Pit because their music was too old.

4. Focus - In and Out of Focus
Heightly, Focus is the most popular artist in this tournament not only due to their song, "Hocus Pocus", but also their big followers although they are from the Netherlands. Listeners maybe forget Shiro Sagisu because Shiro Sagisu was popular around Shiro Sagisu's hometown.
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time, now Top 500+ and soon grown up to Top 1000+.

Coming soon:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll

Signature:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll is the music version of election day.
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

O 85 - Santana 79
Seamonsters 85 - Liberty Bele and the Black Diamond 76
Because I Was In Love 86 - Gossamer 73
Abstain (I only vote with soundtracks if I either really love or really hate the other) In And Out Of Focus 78
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:
Sad confession: I may be getting a little burned out on SVE

Thanks!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I feel like that
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

1. Santana - Santana
2. The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

3. Passion Pit - Gossamer
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

So, The End of Evangelion is my nomination and In and Out of Focus is positively streamrolling over it. Now maybe people simply like the Focus album, more. That is a good album after all, if in a style unfashionable on this forum. But I have noted that anything soundtrack related and not by Ennio Morricone is doing terribly in polls here. I should know, as I keep nominating these things (and will keep doing so). So here's a question I like to pose: do people have a hard time getting into soundtracks as standalone works? Or can you only appreciate it when you know the movie (and I guess The End of Evangelion is then in a disadvantage, because although it has a cult following it isn't exactly on everybody's watch list)?

I personally always liked soundtracks, even from movies, games or other works I have never seen. In case of The End of Evangelion I did only hear the album after having seen the movie, but I also think it is an interesting case. I'll write more about it later, as it is my second favorite movie soundtrack, only after Once Upon a Time in the West, but for now I want to talk about it a bit in light of the question above. Many soundtracks can be a bit odd from an album perspective as many contain various variations on the same theme and can get a bit repetitive, while some others have a tracks that work as ambient background music, but slow an album down considerably. The End of Evangelion is a fairly unique case in which I feel that every song works as a standalone piece, a fully formed song no less, while also containing hardly any variations on the same musical themes (only the first and second track have the same basis, but go in drastically different directions). Nonetheless, all the tracks form a uniform whole in mood. As such, it is far more a "traditional album" than your average soundtrack. I guess that made me so naive to think that The End of Evangelion could easily dodge the "soundtrack curse", but apparently not.

Thoughts anyone?
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I think for most people it is difficult to judge a soundtrack independently whether you've seen the movie or not. The main exception would be A Charlie Brown Christmas, which advanced two weeks ago, but that one is from a fairly familiar movie and even if the movie is unfamiliar, many of the songs on it are widely known on a cultural level.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I am not a film buff. I don't see too many films and if you did ask me about a film score after seeing a film I probably wouldn't be able to say anything about it. So I never listen to soundtracks, I only listen to albums. I understand that some very good albums by the likes of Clint Mansell and Jóhann Jóhannsson are heard as soundtracks by many people, but not by me. I think that it does make a difference if you are listening to a soundtrack or an album, and inevitably film fans will find pleasures in soundtracks that I can't hear when listening to an album. My loss, but it is what it is.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

I judged it as I would have any album, regardless whether it was a soundtrack or not. I wouldn't have even known it was a soundtrack if it hadn't been pointed out on this thread - pretty much irrelevant to me.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

I generally have a hard time getting into film scores/albums of instrumental music, even if it's from a movie that I like.

Like Brad, I listened to the whole album and just liked the other option more.

For me, a lot of film scores/instrumental soundtracks sometimes come off as short or long pieces of 'incidental music' even if it is a musically well written and intricate piece. I do not to trivialise any soundtrack and I'm not sure if is the right choice of words - so I apologise in advance.

By that I mean in order got me to get enjoyment need to understand the what is happening in the scene.

I have a few some soundtracks/individual tracks that I own/enjoy/listen to regularly: 'Angela - the theme to Taxi' has always been a favourite, the Twin Peaks soundtrack, James Bond soundtracks (especially those by John Barry), Star Wars soundtracks, Flash Gordon by Queen, and some stuff by M83 e.g. Junk (even though it is a soundtrack to a made up TV show/movie) come to mind. All of these had a strong connection for me and when I listen to them it brings on nostalgic feelings for shows that I watched growing up.
Last edited by Madzong on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Go on then, I'll take the bait and choose Evangelion, it isn't as if I was going to vote against Focus anyway :D

5. Santana - Santana v. 3. Damien Rice - O

1. The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express v. 2. The Wedding Present - Seamonsters

7. Sharon Van Etten - Because I Was in Love v. 6. Passion Pit - Gossamer

8. Focus - In and Out of Focus v. 4. Shiro Sagisu - The End of Evangelion

Standout tracks: Soul Sacrifice | Volcano | The Wrong Road | Lovenest | It's Not Like | Love Is Greed | Anonymus | Honeymoon with Anxiety
All I got inside is vacancy!
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

1. Damien Rice - O
4. Shiro Sagisu - The End of Evangelion
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

3. Santana > 6. O

5. Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express < 1. Seamonsters

8. Because I Was in Love < 2. Gossamer

7. In And Out Of Focus < 4. The End of Evangelion

I've watched a lot of anime but Evangelion's never been high up on this list... perhaps this will change that. I agree that soundtracks can be a hard sell if you haven't seen the connected work, but Rob is also right that this works well as a standalone.

Seamonsters and Gossamer are two great surprises for me, I hope at least one of them can get through.
Myself
Let's Get It On

Post by Myself »

1. Santana - Santana
4. Shiro Sagisu - The End of Evangelion
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

8. Sharon van Etten – Because I Was In Love
It seems a lot of singer/songwriters start the same way, with simple acoustic guitar pickings and mellow vocals. Sharon van Etten did so too and like most great songwriters she went on to develop a more personal and in my opinion stronger style. This is a middle-of-the-road album to me. Some good lyrics, hampered by a sometimes tediously drawn-out singing style that makes it hard to focus on what she actually says. There is a slight dreamy vibe here, but it feels underdeveloped.

7. Passion Pit – Gossamer
Passion Pit seems to fall into a type of pop music that was rather prevalent in the early 2010’s, but faded away quickly. Their sound reminds me of Imagine Dragons and fun. and like those bands it straddles the line for me between annoying peppiness and ecstatic pop goodness. More than those two bands though, Passion Pit falls on the good side of that line. Although in theory this isn’t really my type of music I was never annoyed. Sadly, I didn’t feel elevated as much either. Gossamer opens incredibly well with the fist-pumping, synth-swirling Take a Walk and track three Carried Away is a great way of blending bipolar themes (the singer is diagnosed with this condition) to a life-affirming melody. The rest of the album can’t quite catch up. These are all energetic pop songs, but only Love Is Greed stands out among the later tracks. It’s never bad, but it still holds true to the old-fashioned notion that pop artists are better at singles than albums.

6. The Go-Betweens – Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express
I wrote about this album before, but in the most meaningless way. You can find that here: viewtopic.php?p=96339#p96339
So as you can gather from that I didn’t actually remember anything about this. Going into it this week I only knew I was going to listen to something by the band behind the jubilant jangle pop song Streets of Your Town. That is an awesome song, but not very representative for anything on Liberty Belle. Whereas that later song is catchy as all hell, there are relatively few hooks here, with only In the Core of the Flame coming close. The songs that stood out the most were the two most folky tracks: The Wrong Road and and Bow Down. Otherwise… I feel the effect is a bit the same as that time in the linked topic. It’s a way of playing that doesn’t really connect all that much with me. The playing is always proficient, but I have a hard time seeing why this album is a big deal.

5. The Wedding Present – Seamonsters
Last year this game contained a huge amount of post-punk, but this year this is the first album that feels close to that, but not quite. It’s moody music in the spirit of Joy Division. Like it’s competitor album by The Go-Betweens I don’t completely get what the big deal is here, even if I can appreciate the proficiency of the band. Maybe it’s the vocals, that are somewhat drowned in the mix. Still, I like it a little more than Liberty Belle.

4. Focus – In and Out of Focus
This is actually an international release, as this was originally released with a different song list as Focus Plays Focus, but I’ll review it as told. Focus is mostly known for its guitar solos, thanks to instrumental classics as Hocus Pocus (in my personal top 10) and Sylvia. On this debut this style hasn’t been developed yet, although we see hints of it. It is a far more conventional prog affair, that fits very well into the time period it came out in. So Jan Akkerman’s guitar work-outs make a limited appearance, although moments were he does take center stage are the highlights, like on Anonymous and closer Focus… Instrumental. The rest is a mixed bag. The medieval sounding House of the King is a fun track and an early, local success for the band. On the other hand we have the horribly cheesy Sugar Island that hasn’t aged well at all. The songs with singing are lesser anyway, though I kind of like Black Beauty. Overall I find this album kind of fun as I’m not immune for prog corniness, but the genre has far better albums and this band would go on to greater things.

3. Damien Rice – O
Why isn’t this album mawkish? On a surface listen you’d be forgiven that this is just another acoustic singer/songwriter album by a guy who is over-emoting. But somehow it isn’t. Even when hearing one of these songs as background music I’m drawn into the emotion. I don’t know how Rice pulled it off, but he manages to take a lament-like singing style and make it sound exactly right. There is a rawness here that gets to me and every ounce of sadness feels earned. Many people tried this, but precious few get away with it, like Rice here.

2. Santana – Santana
On the radio I have mostly heard the other side of Santana, the mellow, Latin jazz fusionist. That’s okay, but when I later learned that on their first free albums Santana were some sort of voodoo-demonic Latin blues rock force I was elated. This music is possessed, I tell you! There are lyrics here and there, but they are not needed as the title of the last song, Soul Sacrifice, says everything. Yet Carlos and his band don’t sacrifice their soul cheaply, they turn the process into a celebration. Carlos Santana’s guitar playing is of course great, but also note the percussions provided by Mike Carrabello and Mike Shrieve as well as the keys by Greg Rollie.

1. Shirō Sagisu – The End of Evangelion
So now we have talked about soundtracks and how we relate to them, why do I love this one so much? And can I talk about this without talking about the movie that brought it to life?
The last question is “perhaps”, but I feel that I have to sketch the basics of what the film is to give a true sense of what this soundtrack tries to achieve. The film The End of Evangelion is basically the final part of a tv series that preceded it, by the name of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOW FOLLOW HEAVY SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE WHO STILL WANT TO WATCH THE SERIES AND THE FILM!
This series and film have a set-up that sounds traditionally anime: a teenage boy is recruited to pilot a sort of robot to battle an alien invasion. Not the type of thing I’m generally into, but this is a very unusual series that turns such a premise on it’s head, basically by not allowing the heroics to be a part of the story and by focusing on the mental state of it’s lead characters. The lead character is already plagued by terrible self-doubt at the beginning of the series. Traditionally we are used to such character traits being overcome as the lead comes into his own as a hero, but during Neon Genesis Evangelion the mental state of our protagonist deteriorates into chronic self-loathing and crippling depression. Although the plot of The End of Evangelion is hardly clear-cut (I admit I couldn’t make heads or tails of it at least half of the time) it feels like we are basically witness to that fragile mind finally snapping and we are going through a mental hell-state. At the same time as the apocalypse is happening, of course.
SPOILER ENDS

That is quite something to build music around. The approach by Shirō Sagisu, in collaboration with director Hideaki Anna (who wrote the lyrics for the few songs that contain them) is much more varied than typical for any movie. Already in the series the sound seemed to get more attention than usual, with some very noticeable silences, but also musical motives that are so strongly linked to characters and situations. In the film the deafening silences remain, but the musical approach is less build around motives, but more around counterpoints.

Things start traditional enough, with the first two tracks setting a leitmotif (subsequently abandoned) that would fit a heroic sci-fi epic. It really gets the blood pumping. Slowly more menace is introduced, with a couple of strong yet varied instrumentals, eventually leading into a Johann Sebastian Bach track: Air II. This gentle piece indeed provides some air, before we dive into the deep end. After Air II things get a lot more schizophrenic, as does the movie which by that time devolves into a mix of gruesome horror and incomprehensible insanity (if that doesn’t sound like a recommendation, well I assure you that it makes for something memorable).

The first track after Bach is The Passage of Emptiness, a sort of lyrical piece that heals the soul, but actually accompanies a particularly nasty, senseless death scene in the film. Than we get a collaboration with Loran & Mash who sing the James Bond like Thanatos – If I can’t Be Yours, during the end credits scene that take place in the middle of the film (yes, really). After that the soundtrack keeps alternating between absolute dread, religious grandiosity and soothing pieces, all mixed in a way that shouldn’t work, but does.

Although not the final track, the real culmination is a seven minute pop song, sung by Arianne Schreiber, named after Bach’s Komm süsser Tod, although it is not actually an adaptation of his composition. It is a very upbeat sounding and incredibly catchy song that has lyrics of self-loathing worthy of Ian Curtis and in the film it obviously accompanies the main part of the apocalypse. It is one hell of a song, a masterpiece in counterpoint between beauty, happiness, horror and despair, which might in the end summarize this album, as well as the series and movie. Afterwards we do get another Bach, because why not? And then two more song, of which the second to last goes for the big kill and throws every emotion at your ears with the subtlety of huge battle robot. By then you’ve had quite the ride.

But how does that hold up if you didn’t see the film? I can’t say, as I have seen it. But listening to this soundtrack over and over again does give me that special feel, that eerie mix of grandeur and existential desperation. Like I said in my earlier post I’m impressed with how Shirō Sagisu has managed to keep every track fresh and different, but also part of a whole. The album really feels like an emotional rollercoaster to me and although all the different tracks are in recognizable genres, the album as a whole feels like a unique entity. To me it is the most innovative and accomplished use of music in a film since Sergio Leone died and like the Morricone soundtracks for Leone, The End of Evangelion is such a complete work that as a standalone it retains every bit of it’s power.

Little note: I’m surprised but happy to note that this album scores very, very well on RateYourMusic scoring just 0,01 shy of that illusive 4,00 score and ranking at #712 of all time. It does seem though that all reviewers are familiar with the film. It is worthy to note that on RateYourMusic’s sister site RateYourMovies The End of Evangelion ranks at an amazing #27. Kind of interesting as speaking as someone who works in the film industry myself I have noticed that at best it can be seen as a very niche film, only known by the biggest film nerds and/ or anime freaks (outside Japan that is; in its home country it is a very big franchise).

A simple overview of my votes:

With the exception of the last match-up these are all could have gone either way. It's unusual for me to not have a clear preference. The first match-up is also painful, as I would like to see both proceed.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. Santana - Santana
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33 am I never heard some of them (Sharon Van Etten, Shiro Sagisu, The Wedding Present).
To be clear - Did you listen to these artist's albums before voting?
Thank you.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

22 voters this week:
acroamor
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
DaveC
FrankLotion
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Listyguy
madzong
mileswide
Myself
PlasticRam
Rdwdbob
Rob
Romain
rumpdoll
Safetycat
Schüttelbirne
spiritualized
StevieFan13
Wisnu Tirta Aji

Winners:
1. Santana - Santana over Damien Rice - O 17-5
2. The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express over The Wedding Present - Seamonsters 13-8
3. Passion Pit - Gossamer over Sharon Van Etten - Because I Was in Love 11-10
4. Focus - In And Out Of Focus over Shiro Sagisu - The End of Evangelion 10-7

Round 1.6 up soon!
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji »

Brad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:27 pm
Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33 am I never heard some of them (Sharon Van Etten, Shiro Sagisu, The Wedding Present).
Thank you.
No.
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time, now Top 500+ and soon grown up to Top 1000+.

Coming soon:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll

Signature:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll is the music version of election day.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:05 pm
Thank you.
No.
Quit posting.
I feel like that
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Thank you.
No.
I'm sorry, I think there's a big misunderstanding that comes from the language barrier (and God knows I understand this problem)... but there, by such a simple and clear answer, I spit out my orange juice through my nose because of the laughter.

Thank you for the good time.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Thank you.
No.
Yes, to re-iterate:

Please do not vote for a match-up unless you have heard both albums in their entirety at least once.

Thank you.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Romain wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:38 pm
Brad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:27 pm To be clear - Did you listen to these artist's albums before voting?
Thank you.
No.
I'm sorry, I think there's a big misunderstanding that comes from the language barrier (and God knows I understand this problem)... but there, by such a simple and clear answer, I spit out my orange juice through my nose because of the laughter.

Vitamin C :music-rockon:
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Brad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:42 pm
Brad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:27 pm To be clear - Did you listen to these artist's albums before voting?
Thank you.
No.
Yes, to re-iterate:

Please do not vote for a match-up unless you have heard both albums in their entirety at least once.

Thank you.
Right ON!!👍
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Romain wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:38 pm
Thank you.
No.

Sorry, just reading this now. Comedy gold! :D

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”