Biggest Fan Songs - March 2020

Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Biggest Fan - March 2020

Post by Henrik »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:23 am
Hymie wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 pm
Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:28 am 1 - Super Usual (for example: "Stay" by Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs,
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that "Stay" is the only record on your list by a non-white act. For me it's a 9, and better than almost every other song you mentioned.
Oh! But, I also rate it 9 from the previous rate of 1. It is special because, first, it was The Zodiacs' only biggest hit single ("Little Darlin'" was performed under the name, The Gladiolas, but having a great success for The Diamonds). Second, "Stay" is from the beginning of the 1960s. Third, it was the shortest song on Billboard's Hot 100 with lasting at 1:36 or 19 seconds longer than "on the night like this" by Mocca.
Cool trivia! But chart info aside, how much do you like to listen to the song?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Henrik wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:15 am These ratings are supposed to reflect how much we like the songs, so do you mean unusually good? And super usual = totally bland? Otherwise I don’t get it.
Could be a mistranslation of 'ordinary' and 'extraordinary'? I could be wrong but as far as I can tell, Wisnu's Indonesian and based on the little Bahasa I can remember, 'biasa' can be either 'usual' or 'ordinary' (as in boring), so I'm guessing the opposite corresponds in the same way i.e. 'tidak biasa' = 'unusual' or 'extraordinary' (in the sense of awesome).
All I got inside is vacancy!
Wezzo
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Wezzo »

436. Matchbox Twenty – Bright Lights - 6
437. White Reaper – Judy French - 7.5
438. Deerhunter – Twilight at Carbon Lake - 8
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji »

Henrik wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:15 am
Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:28 am
Hymie wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:47 pm 10-Incredible Awesome
9 - Great
8 - Excellent
7 - Very Good
6 - Good
5 - Pretty Good
4 - Okay
3 - Not Very Good
2 - Bad
1 - Terrible
What if:
10-Super Unusual
9 - Very Unusual
8 - Unusual
7 - Pretty Unusual
6 - OK
5 - Not Very Unusual
4 - Pretty Usual
3 - Usual
2 - Very Usual
1 - Super Usual
These ratings are supposed to reflect how much we like the songs, so do you mean unusually good? And super usual = totally bland? Otherwise I don’t get it.
These ratings are based by me. For example, 10 as super unusual, which means, these songs are super classic. In case, these songs played almost everyday on radio stations and divided into 2 classes. "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd is a legend classic while "Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls is a modern classic although some songs by Goo Goo Dolls have any element of Pop Rock, 9 as very unusual, and other scores. Currently, here are songs I'm rating them with 9:
• "Still Into You" by Paramore
• "Africa" by Toto
• "Amanda" by Boston
• "look what you've done" by Jet
• "I want to hold your hand" by The Beatles
• "Soldier of Fortune" by Deep Purple
• "Green Light" by Lorde
• "Just Like You" by Three Days Grace
• "Behind Blue Eyes" by Limp Bizkit

Thanks.
Last edited by Wisnu Tirta Aji on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time, now Top 500+ and soon grown up to Top 1000+.

Coming soon:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll

Signature:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll is the music version of election day.
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Henrik wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:22 am
Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:23 am
Hymie wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that "Stay" is the only record on your list by a non-white act. For me it's a 9, and better than almost every other song you mentioned.
Oh! But, I also rate it 9 from the previous rate of 1. It is special because, first, it was The Zodiacs' only biggest hit single ("Little Darlin'" was performed under the name, The Gladiolas, but having a great success for The Diamonds). Second, "Stay" is from the beginning of the 1960s. Third, it was the shortest song on Billboard's Hot 100 with lasting at 1:36 or 19 seconds longer than "on the night like this" by Mocca.
Cool trivia! But chart info aside, how much do you like to listen to the song?
For "Little Darlin'", I listen to this song is when I watch the video of this song on the TV. For "Stay", one of the unforgettable moment is when I'm browsing songs to be included in playlist before I listen to "Stay". When I do to browsing songs, I found "Stay" then downloaded into phone storage and now included in playlist. Currently, I'm browsing and downloading more songs that not found in playlist like Pop's "Moral of the Story" by Ashe, K-Pop's "Fake Love" by BTS, Country's "Closer to You" by Carly Pearce, and other songs. Thanks.
Last edited by Wisnu Tirta Aji on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time, now Top 500+ and soon grown up to Top 1000+.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:44 pm Waiting for reply.
Ok, this is what I think you mean:
By unusual you mean classic. Super unusual = super classic, very unusual = very classic. I suppose that super usual would then mean super unclassic, or totally unheard of? And Maurice Williams’ ”Stay” is totally unheard of on your radio today (1) but back in the day, based on Billboard, it was very classic (9)?

But then you gave Deerhunter’s ”Twilight at Carbon Lake” a 9. Certainly that one isn’t very classic, or played on the radio very often? Are you not using the scale you presented for your own ratings?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:57 am438. Deerhunter – Twilight at Carbon Lake
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:06 pm
By unusual you mean classic. Super unusual = super classic, very unusual = very classic. I suppose that super usual would then mean super unclassic, or totally unheard of? And Maurice Williams’ ”Stay” is totally unheard of on your radio today (1) but back in the day, based on Billboard, it was very classic (9)?

But then you gave Deerhunter’s ”Twilight at Carbon Lake” a 9. Certainly that one isn’t very classic, or played on the radio very often? Are you not using the scale you presented for your own ratings?
And more than that, popularity shouldn't really be a determining factor of quality.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

White Reaper – Judy French: 6
Not particularly original or memorable, but there is an energy here that I can't deny.

Deerhunter – Twilight at Carbon Lake: 5
Tranquil psychedelia. Not bad, but misses something to sink my teeth in, so to speak.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

438. Deerhunter - Twilight at Carbon Lake: 6/10
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

435. U2 – Red Light: 6
436. Matchbox Twenty - Bright Lights: 3.5
437. White Reaper - Judy French: 4.5
438. Deerhunter – Twilight at Carbon Lake: 9.25 (#900 on my all-time list)

Thanks!
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Henrik wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:06 pm

I mean, unusual mean extraordinary and not classic. Usual mean ordinary and not unclassic. For ratings, here are the new name of these numbers:
10- Super Extraordinary
9 - Very Extraordinary
8 - Extraordinary
7 - Super OK
6 - Very OK
5 - OK
4 - Pretty OK
3 - Ordinary
2 - Very Ordinary
1 - Super Ordinary

For example, if I listen to songs by Miles Davis, I gave these songs a 3, which means, these songs are ordinary according to me, a 2 for "Du" by Peter Maffay because other languages are too hard to understand for English-language listeners, a 1 for "I Remember Elvis Presley" by Danny Mirror because this song is not a biggest hit single on Billboard's Hot 100. Thanks.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:53 am
For example, if I listen to songs by Miles Davis, I gave these songs a 3, which means, these songs are ordinary according to me, a 2 for "Du" by Peter Maffay because other languages are too hard to understand for English-language listeners, a 1 for "I Remember Elvis Presley" by Danny Mirror because this song is not a biggest hit single on Billboard's Hot 100. Thanks.

Wisnu Tirta Aji, if this is really your scoring system, I'm totally stunned. :(

Imagine if I played by your rules, all the songs not in French and all the songs that are not in the French Top 50 will owe 1 and 2, i.e. 95% of the songs here.

The ONLY thing that matters is your personal taste and nothing else.

Whether the song is known in the USA, whether it is classified in the USA, whether the critics in the USA appreciate it has absolutely no interest in this rank.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

439. Running Wild – Riding the Storm
Year: 1989
Album: Death or Glory
Biggest Fan: Andyramones1234 (#40)

Don’t forget you can always vote for earlier songs or change your vote!
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Romain wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:45 am Imagine if I played by your rules, all the songs not in French and all the songs that are not in the French Top 50 will owe 1 and 2, i.e. 95% of the songs here.
Except if all the songs in English or a half of the lyrics in English but a half of the lyrics freely in other languages and all the songs in France Singles Chart especially for French acts with English-language songs or multi-language songs, it freely will owe various scores from the lowest to the highest. Thanks.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I think I don't understand at all what you're saying.
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Romain wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 am I think I don't understand at all what you're saying.
Anyway, if there's a song by an act, I give it a rating even I give every songs by every acts the highest rating. Thanks.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:55 am439. Running Wild – Riding the Storm

I got a headache after just 5 seconds of this one.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:31 am
Romain wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 am I think I don't understand at all what you're saying.
Anyway, if there's a song by an act, I give it a rating even I give every songs by every acts the highest rating. Thanks.
So let me see if I'm following you here:
Regardless of whether you personally like the song or not, you would give a song a low rating just because it didn't chart in its home country? For instance, you'd give a song like "Laffy Taffy" by D4L a 10 because it topped the charts in the US (their home country), but you'd give, say, "A-Punk" by Vampire Weekend a 1 because it didn't crack the Hot 100? I don't understand your criteria at all. Shouldn't it be as simple as "10 is a great song, 1 is a bad song"?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

StevieFan13 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:47 pm So let me see if I'm following you here:
Regardless of whether you personally like the song or not, you would give a song a low rating just because it didn't chart in its home country? For instance, you'd give a song like "Laffy Taffy" by D4L a 10 because it topped the charts in the US (their home country), but you'd give, say, "A-Punk" by Vampire Weekend a 1 because it didn't crack the Hot 100? I don't understand your criteria at all. Shouldn't it be as simple as "10 is a great song, 1 is a bad song"?
Anyway, from now on, I'm going to put a 2 to all the songs that aren't in French because they're too complicated for me to understand.

:mrgreen:
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Romain wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 pm
Anyway, from now on, I'm going to put a 2 to all the songs that aren't in French because they're too complicated for me to understand.
lol - that would be like giving almost every song you didn't personally select a score below 5 (but of course nobody would do that!)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Brad wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm lol - that would be like giving almost every song you didn't personally select a score below 5 (but of course nobody would do that!)
Hmmmmm, no one in their right mind would do that, come on!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:53 am
Wisnu, I don't like to tell people how to vote, but I have to agree with others here: you have to base the vote on your own taste. This game is about how much we like the songs that are presented daily. It certainly has nothing to do with Billboard, since most of the songs here were not hits. And why do you care if a song is understandable for English-language listeners? I don't think you are a native English speaker yourself.

Running Wild - Riding the Storm: 7
Both band name and song title promise quite a wild ride and that is what we get. It's from that 80's moment of metal when the genre was still allowed to be fun. You can just tell these people are having a ball.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

439. Running Wild - Riding the Storm: 6/10
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

435. U2 - Red Light = 7
436. Matchbox 20 - Bright Lights = 4
437. Judy French - White Reaper = 7
438. Deer hunter - Twilight At Carbon Lake = 7
439. Running Wild - Riding The Storm = 6
Last edited by Madzong on Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Romain wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:43 pm
Brad wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm lol - that would be like giving almost every song you didn't personally select a score below 5 (but of course nobody would do that!)
Hmmmmm, no one in their right mind would do that, come on!
I think I could take a guess!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

These are dark times, but it seems like good things still happen, as the appearance of today’s song proves:

440. Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris – All the Roadrunning
Year: 2006
Album: All the Roadrunning
Biggest Fan: Rob (#706)

Wezzo
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Wezzo »

439. Running Wild – Riding the Storm - 4.5
440. Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris – All the Roadrunning - 7.5
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning - 6
Let's forget about these ratings. It's about Mark Knopfler! For my comment, I only know that he was more known as a member of Dire Straits.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:53 am440. Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris – All the Roadrunning
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 pm Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning - 6
Let's forget about these ratings. It's about Mark Knopfler! For my comment, I only know that he was more known as a member of Dire Straits.
6 meaning you more or less like the song?
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

440. Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris – All the Roadrunning = 4
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

440. Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning: 7/10
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning: 9

Everybody seems to like Emmylou Harris, but Mark Knopfler is another matter. For me, he is my personal favorite of the "uncool musicians". All the Roadrunning was a song I played a lot some nine years ago. The violin melody matched with the angelic voice of Harris in contrast with the very earthy sounding Knopfler hits just the right spot. I always thought Knopfler is an underrated lyricist and his description of the toll of road life is very captivating and poetic.
It has been a while since I last listened to this, but today it resonated differently. As some of you might know I work in event organization (film festivals to be precise) and like a lot of the world it is a business that's laying on it's back during the current corona crisis. Since my festival is in November and safe for the moment I'm doing well enough, but when I heard Knopfler sing "And if it's all for nothing/ All the road running's been in vain" reminds me of a lot of my colleagues and friends who saw their long prepared work evaporate. I interpret a lot of lyrics differently these weeks. It doesn't make the song any less beautiful.
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

StevieFan13 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:57 pm
Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 pm Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning - 6
I mean, 6 mean very OK. It's only a game and not refer to how they like or don't like these songs. Thanks.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 am
I mean, 6 mean very OK. It's only a game and not refer to how they like or don't like these songs. Thanks.
Yes, it's only a game, but one with rules. You are aware that a top 100 is being made based on the votes?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Today’s song ranks at #6012 on AM:

441. Peter Gabriel – Red Rain
Year: 1986
Album: So
Biggest Fan: Red Ant (#786)

Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Rob wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 am

Yes, it's only a game, but one with rules. You are aware that a top 100 is being made based on the votes?
Yes.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

I return to the game as I begin 4 weeks of isolation. And what do I find? Bad takes and some amazing songs.

425. Gastr del Sol – Mouth Canyon - 5
426. Puppetmastaz – Hip Hop Police - 2
Another German novelty-themed rap group? It's more likely than you think!
427. Klaatu – Everybody Took a Holiday - 3
428. Rufus Wainwright – One Man Guy - 6
429. Vince Staples – Crabs in a Bucket - 6
430. Space – Magic Fly - 4
431. LCD Soundsystem – Great Release - 7
A lost Brian Eno track?
432. Axelle Red – Je t’attends - 5
Un petit peu de "Temps après temps", peut-être? (forgive my high-school level French)
433. Gorillaz – New Genius (Brother) - 9
One of the best songs on Gorillaz. Rediscovered the album recently and happy to vote a song from it this high.
434. Smiley Lewis – Down the Road - 4
435. U2 – Red Light - 7
436. Matchbox Twenty – Bright Lights - 8
437. White Reaper – Judy French - 6
438. Deerhunter – Twilight at Carbon Lake - 6
439. Running Wild – Riding the Storm - 8
HELL YEAH
440. Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris – All the Roadrunning - 8
I really like this track. Very soothing.
441. Peter Gabriel – Red Rain - 4
I really like So, and wish I liked Red Rain, but something about it is offputting to me.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

439. Running Wild – Riding the Storm - 5 (Musically, really quite good - I cannot however deal with the operatic singing...
440. Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris – All the Roadrunning - 3
441. Peter Gabriel – Red Rain - 6
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Peter Gabriel - Red Rain: 6
Not my favorite Gabriel track, but still good.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:41 am
Rob wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 am

Yes.
Yeah, but...who's "they"? "They" don't matter. You matter. That vote represents your personal opinion on the song.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 am441. Peter Gabriel – Red Rain

Never liked anything by this guy.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Safetycat wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 am Another German novelty-themed rap group? It's more likely than you think!
Just out of interest, what other group(s) do you think of?
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Smiley Lewis - Down the Road 6
U2 - Red Light 6
Matchbox Twenty - Bright Lights 5
White Reaper - Judy French 8
Deerhunter - Twilight at Carbon Lake 6
Running Wild - Riding the Storm 7
Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning 6
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain 5
All I got inside is vacancy!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Peter Gabriel, Red Rain -- 7
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

441. Peter Gabriel - Red Rain: 7/10
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

440. Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris – All the Roadrunning - 5 Knopfler's vocals were better than expected, but where was his guitar?

441. Peter Gabriel – Red Rain - 7 - Gabriel's "So" album was amazing and this song is very good (my 1638th favorite of all time).
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Krurze wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:04 pm
Safetycat wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 am Another German novelty-themed rap group? It's more likely than you think!
Just out of interest, what other group(s) do you think of?
I had to look up the name, but I was thinking of Inglebirds. Granted I don't think they're actually themed to the same level as Puppetmastaz but the comparison was there
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

And this one we find on AM at #2583:

442. Jenny Hval – Conceptual Romance
Year: 2016
Album: Blood Bitch
Biggest Fan: Elder (#405)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”