Rank the Tracks, Round 2

Holden
Never Going Back Again

Rank the Tracks, Round 2

Post by Holden »

I see that it has been a while since anyone has touched the rank the tracks topic. Should we start it up again, maybe revisiting the older albums that were started with to see if answers differ at all? I would be enthusiastically able to run it.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Re: Rank the Tracks, Round 2

Post by bootsy »

Some new albums to rank would be nice. We had a thread for that but nothing ever happened.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4960
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Holden wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:11 pm I see that it has been a while since anyone has touched the rank the tracks topic. Should we start it up again, maybe revisiting the older albums that were started with to see if answers differ at all? I would be enthusiastically able to run it.
Well, Holden, you can do it, of course. In fact I was thinking about closing the 24/7 thread. My initial intention was to keep it open during 2017 and finally I kept it for an additional two years. Moreover during the last 9 months of 2018 we had 262 albums updated while in 2019 we had 187 (if we exclude the 100 albums ranked by mileswide we had only 87). So definitely I'll close officially the thread on December 31st.
Holden, if you really want to run a part 2 that's perfectly OK with me, I can send you the Word and Excel files on a private message. Probably start it up again is not the best idea, maybe having new albums to rank as bootsy suggest could be better. But careful, Holden, you are already hosting three simultaneous games right now, you can have low participation rates because of burn-out of the AM users, especially when there are a lot of polls waiting round the corner (I'll write something about this on the "next decade poll" on the following days).
bootsy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:18 am Some new albums to rank would be nice. We had a thread for that but nothing ever happened.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4960
Nothing ever happened? Hmm, bootsy, I don't want to start a controversy but simply this isn't true. When letmeintomyzone created the thread you linked I made an Excel counting the votes for the different albums and only two albums got more than two votes. I included those two albums on the tournament ("The Low End Theory" and "The College Dropout") but we ended with a very low turnout (only 6 people ranked the tracks of "The Low End Theory" during the first 6 months, and two years later only a total of 11 people did it).
Giving the limited success of the new albums and the fact that people stopped nominating albums I changed the approach and created a poll about the future of Rank the Tracks. After this poll the last 25 albums we ranked came from our all time list and not from the official AM list, something that increased the participation (but not too much). So "something happened" but maybe not what you wanted.
Anyway I don't want to polemize. As I told to Holden, please feel free to include new albums to Rank the Tracks! I won't host the game no more but I wish you the best of luck!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Honorio wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:06 pm
Holden wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:11 pm I see that it has been a while since anyone has touched the rank the tracks topic. Should we start it up again, maybe revisiting the older albums that were started with to see if answers differ at all? I would be enthusiastically able to run it.
Well, Holden, you can do it, of course. In fact I was thinking about closing the 24/7 thread. My initial intention was to keep it open during 2017 and finally I kept it for an additional two years. Moreover during the last 9 months of 2018 we had 262 albums updated while in 2019 we had 187 (if we exclude the 100 albums ranked by mileswide we had only 87). So definitely I'll close officially the thread on December 31st.
Holden, if you really want to run a part 2 that's perfectly OK with me, I can send you the Word and Excel files on a private message. Probably start it up again is not the best idea, maybe having new albums to rank as bootsy suggest could be better. But careful, Holden, you are already hosting three simultaneous games right now, you can have low participation rates because of burn-out of the AM users, especially when there are a lot of polls waiting round the corner (I'll write something about this on the "next decade poll" on the following days).
Thanks for your advice, it does seem to be best to hold off on this until the polls coming up die down.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Honorio wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:06 pm

Nothing ever happened? Hmm, bootsy, I don't want to start a controversy but simply this isn't true. When letmeintomyzone created the thread you linked I made an Excel counting the votes for the different albums and only two albums got more than two votes. I included those two albums on the tournament ("The Low End Theory" and "The College Dropout") but we ended with a very low turnout (only 6 people ranked the tracks of "The Low End Theory" during the first 6 months, and two years later only a total of 11 people did it).
Giving the limited success of the new albums and the fact that people stopped nominating albums I changed the approach and created a poll about the future of Rank the Tracks. After this poll the last 25 albums we ranked came from our all time list and not from the official AM list, something that increased the participation (but not too much). So "something happened" but maybe not what you wanted.
Anyway I don't want to polemize. As I told to Holden, please feel free to include new albums to Rank the Tracks! I won't host the game no more but I wish you the best of luck!
OK great about "The Low End Theory" and "The College Dropout" ranking but there is nothing that says stop at ranking more albums because of low turnout for those particular albums.

My response to the OP about the low turnout of the current rankings may be because people have already ranked those albums that wanted to and maybe something new might rejuvenate the rankings.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Well, you’re right, bootsy. The low turnout of the first two albums was not reason enough to stop adding new albums. But the fact is that people stopped suggesting new albums…
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

If you started a poll back up again you might get people to suggest new albums. Don't give up so easily. Just a thought...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”