Unacclaimed VI: Early Reveal Thread

Would you like song from previous Unacclaimed tournaments to be eligible in future tournaments?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:06 pm

Yes, and the eligibility rule mentioned is perfectly fine
14%
Yes, but I would prefer a different eligibility rule
No votes
No, songs from previous tournaments must never be renominated
86%

Total votes: 14

Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Unacclaimed VI: Early Reveal Thread

Post by Bang Jan »

Nominations for Unacclaimed VI will officially open on 6th January 2020.

For those who don't know, Unacclaimed is a tournament featuring songs that are both unranked on AM, and appear on albums that are unranked on AM.

The reason I'm opening this thread is to ask a question regarding songs that have appeared in past editions. I'm considering allowing renomination on a five tournament basis, meaning that anything from the first Unacclaimed will be eligible for Unacclaimed VI, and anything from Unacclaimed II will be eligible from Unacclaimed VII etc., on the basis that the song cannot have won the tournament at any point and that the song still is still Unacclaimed.

I've opened a poll asking if you would like songs from previous tournament to be allowed or not, I've also included an option if you would like songs from previous Unacclaimed tournaments to be eligible, but have a different eligibility rule in mind.

I've also included spreadsheets including albums and songs from 2018 which will be added on AM in the future allowing their inclusion in the tournament. Thanks to Henrik for supplying me with the songs list!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Romain
Happy Up Here

Re: Unacclaimed VI: Early Reveal Thread

Post by Romain »

Nope nope nope nope nope !
There are millions of songs in the world that are not on this site, I find it a pity to reuse the few dozen that have already been played here in previous years.

And thanks to run this game :-)
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Romain wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:10 pm Nope nope nope nope nope !
There are millions of songs in the world that are not on this site, I find it a pity to reuse the few dozen that have already been played here in previous years.
Fair enough, we have only covered the tip of the iceberg of unacclaimed songs through this tournament.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I think unranked songs from bubbling under albums shouldn't be excluded, as the delimitation is a bit arbitrary. If I'm correct some of the bubbling under albums are there due to a couple of old lists, while Henrik wouldn't even include albums that have recently have appeared in the same number of lists, as he knows it's far from enough for inclusion.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Nassim wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:54 pm I think unranked songs from bubbling under albums shouldn't be excluded, as the delimitation is a bit arbitrary. If I'm correct some of the bubbling under albums are there due to a couple of old lists, while Henrik wouldn't even include albums that have recently have appeared in the same number of lists, as he knows it's far from enough for inclusion.
I agree with this.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Can we put a ban on covers of widely acclaimed songs as well? I remember last year we had a straight cover of Hey Jude on here and I thought, no one is discovering anything new here.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

acroamor wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:49 pm Can we put a ban on covers of widely acclaimed songs as well? I remember last year we had a straight cover of Hey Jude on here and I thought, no one is discovering anything new here.
Sorry for thinking that some people might enjoy the track that blew Eric Clapton and Jerry Wexler away and made Duane Allman into a star.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

That said, I would be fine with that rule.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I think covers of famous songs should be allowed though, as the really good ones are very distinct from the original.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Covers of acclaimed songs will NOT be banned unless enough people express disapproval of their inclusion.

As for unranked songs from bubbling albums, again unless enough people come forward with opposing opinions, they will remain ineligible as I feel that the pool of songs already covered by Unacclaimed's rules is vast enough as it is.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

andyd1010 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:12 am
acroamor wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:49 pm Can we put a ban on covers of widely acclaimed songs as well? I remember last year we had a straight cover of Hey Jude on here and I thought, no one is discovering anything new here.
Sorry for thinking that some people might enjoy the track that blew Eric Clapton and Jerry Wexler away and made Duane Allman into a star.
The song's not bad, and I didn't mean to seem like I felt that way. I just feel like if I wanna hear Duane Allman becoming a star, I might want to hear that on, say, an actual Allman Brothers deep cut.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”