Kanye West - Jesus Is King

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Kanye West - Jesus Is King

Post by PlasticRam »

I'm just listening to this for the first time. So far I like it!
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: Kanye West - Jesus Is King

Post by PlasticRam »

This is IMO better than ye and KSG, two albums I didn't particularly like. Actually better than TLOP too. I like that Kanye went full on Christian and not kinda, like TLOP.
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Before this album I was wondering whether Beatles or Kanye was my fav artist of all time, and it seems like with this album Ye will move permanently to the number-one spot

I feel like that
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I'm really not a fan of this album. It looks like Kanye has entered his Slow Train Coming phase - this is the work of a generation-defining artist which is indulgent and bland, while using religion as it's main source. The only song on here I liked was "Sela". Everything else on here is lifeless and unexciting.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

First impressions aren't great- I get that Kanye uses autotune and cheap synth sounds as stylistic statements but here for the most part, they're not twistedly beautiful or thrillingly abrasive like on Yeezus for example. The gospel choir parts seem to paper over a strange insincerity to his delivery. Still, the conflicted Hands On and the soul sample-led Follow God (I know, I'm such a cliché, I miss the old Kanye) stand out enough for me to maybe turn the other cheek...
All I got inside is vacancy!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Also, even if he is the label boss and he's one of the best out there, what's the point of having Pusha T on Use This Gospel if he can't swear or rap about coke?
All I got inside is vacancy!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

PlasticRam wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:23 pm I was wondering whether Beatles or Kanye was my fav artist of all time
but... but everyone knows the Beatles are bigger than Yeezus
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Brad wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 pm
PlasticRam wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:23 pm I was wondering whether Beatles or Kanye was my fav artist of all time
but... but everyone knows the Beatles are bigger than Yeezus
:D
I feel like that
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

It's better than some of his other recent releases. Nothing all that special to me though.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Some scattered thoughts:

It's okay. Probably his weakest release so far. Weaker than Ye, but pretty close to Ye in terms of quality. The first three songs are the most promising, but after that the quality dips a bit.

Official Kanye power rankings (counting collaborations):

Excellent Tier:

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2. Late Registration
3. The College Dropout
4. Yeezus

Great Tier:

5. Graduation
6. Kids See Ghosts
7. The Life of Pablo

Good Tier:

8. 808s & Heartbreak
9. Watch the Throne

Decent Tier:

10. Cruel Summer
11. Ye
12. Jesus Is King
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I was in the car with my little brother and he asked me to play Jesus Is King because he hadn’t heard it yet, and he’s a huge Kanye fan. Two songs in he called it trash and told me to put on The College Dropout to make him forget about those tracks :o
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Just a thought: this album would have been better had it been more contemplative.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

5 stars:
808s
MBDTF
Yeezus
CD

4.5 stars:
Grad
WTT

4 stars:
JIK
CS

3.5 stars:
TLOP
LR
KSG

3 stars:
ye
I feel like that
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Last edited by Cold Butterfly on Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Consequence of Sound gave this an F. Totally ridiculous. I think critics are finally done with Kanye (biased). It's a shame.
I feel like that
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Not good. I quite liked the album Ye not gonna lie and felt Pablo was his weakest this decade. But it is safe to say that this takes the cake for being his worst in a long time. I’m not huge on early Kanye but I’ll take it over this
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

PlasticRam wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:21 pm Consequence of Sound gave this an F. Totally ridiculous. I think critics are finally done with Kanye (biased). It's a shame.
While it’s bad
Edre the Depeche Head
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Said it too many times before probably, but I keep thinking that only Kanye's first four albums qualify as essential, and that everything he released since 2010 is overrated. I'm rambling about I guess. I'm getting old.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Pitchfork's review is basically the bit in The Simpsons where Homer tells Marge 'Sorry Marge, I'n afraid this gets my lowest rating ever - seven thumbs up'
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

charliepanayi wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:03 pm Pitchfork's review is basically the bit in The Simpsons where Homer tells Marge 'Sorry Marge, I'n afraid this gets my lowest rating ever - seven thumbs up'
Something else I already said: Kanye and Radiohead are to Pitchfork what Springsteen and U2 are to Rolling Stone.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Last edited by Cold Butterfly on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Pierre wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:30 pm
charliepanayi wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:03 pm Pitchfork's review is basically the bit in The Simpsons where Homer tells Marge 'Sorry Marge, I'n afraid this gets my lowest rating ever - seven thumbs up'
Something else I already said: Kanye and Radiohead are to Pitchfork what Springsteen and U2 are to Rolling Stone.
Some of the writers hate Kanye cos of the Trump stuff. Just look at the ye review (not only the score).
I feel like that
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

PlasticRam wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:33 pm
Some of the writers hate Kanye cos of the Trump stuff. Just look at the ye review (not only the score).
Can't blame them. Though I was mostly referring to the score.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

PlasticRam wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:33 pm
In all fairness ye was pretty disappointing, and Kids See Ghosts received mass acclaim last year. I don't see the "bias" imo.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

PlasticRam wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:23 pm Before this album I was wondering whether Beatles or Kanye was my fav artist of all time, and it seems like with this album Ye will move permanently to the number-one spot

It is interesting to me that the resolution to this debate rested on the strength of this particular album...
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

It's strange, for me, it's the first time I really find something listenable by this guy (except the autotune abominations like "Everythung we need") the five first songs are really good.

I think it's a very very very bad sign for him.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Romain wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:03 pm It's strange, for me, it's the first time I really find something listenable by this guy
Whaaa! That's like saying Slow Train Coming was Bob Dylan's first listenable album :( In all seriousness, it's understandable if you're not really a fan of his music. While he's one of my favorite artists (based on his 2004-2016 work), i wasn't a big fan of this album either.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Cold Butterfly wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 pm
Romain wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:03 pm It's strange, for me, it's the first time I really find something listenable by this guy
Whaaa! That's like saying Slow Train Coming was Bob Dylan's first listenable album :( In all seriousness, it's understandable if you're not really a fan of his music. While he's one of my favorite artists (based on his 2004-2016 work), i wasn't a big fan of this album either.
1) It's funny that you use Dylan on example as being given that it's the other big mystery in the music history for me.
2) It's why I write in the end: "It's a bad sign for him"... if I like this album, it's because it had to make a 180° turn compared to the previous ones, it might scare away lovers of his music. Not really fond of rap and hip-hop, and appreciating this one (without finding it exceptional, eh!), it's because it's maybe not quite rap or hip-hop anymore?! :D
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Romain wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:55 am
Cold Butterfly wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 pm
1) It's funny that you use Dylan on example as being given that it's the other big mystery in the music history for me.
2) It's why I write in the end: "It's a bad sign for him"... if I like this album, it's because it had to make a 180° turn compared to the previous ones, it might scare away lovers of his music. Not really fond of rap and hip-hop, and appreciating this one (without finding it exceptional, eh!), it's because it's maybe not quite rap or hip-hop anymore?! :D
Ehh, i'd say it's Christian hip hop (a genre filled with banality imo), but I get what your saying in that by not making a "typical" Kanye album, you were ably to enjoy it :D
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

After about 10 listens, I upgrade this to 4.5 stars. Replay value :happy-partydance:

Edit: Fine, it's 5 stars. :whistle: :music-guitarred: :music-rockon:
I feel like that

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”