Ric Ocasek Dead at 75

Nick
Running Up That Hill

Ric Ocasek Dead at 75

Post by Nick »

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/R ... ssion=true

Ric Ocasek of The Cars has died. He was 75.
Brad
Higher Ground

Re: Ric Ocasek Dead at 75

Post by Brad »

Aw man... not a good week.
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

I used to listen to Just What I Needed over and over again in high school...And this was in the 2000s!
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Huge loss, I've just been getting into the Cars recently. Man had style.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

VanillaFire1000 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 am I used to listen to Just What I Needed over and over again in high school...And this was in the 2000s!
It is kind of curious, as I only heard about The Cars when I came to this forum and guessed they were a bit like Pavement, Spoon or Gang of Four: acts with a following among music nerds, but with no mainstream business. Only when they were nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they got massive support there I noticed that, hey, people know these guys. The problem seems to be my home country, were they only had one minor hit - Drive (although it is one of those songs I never knew the band name of). Just What I Needed is never played around here and well, outside of Drive nothing is.

I still haven't heard much of them, but kind of like what I heard.
Last edited by Rob on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Rob wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:23 pm
VanillaFire1000 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 am I used to listen to Just What I Needed over and over again in high school...And this was in the 2000s!
It is kind of curious, as I only heard about The Cars when I came to this forum and guessed they were a bit like Pavement, Spoon or Gang of Four: acts with a following among music nerds, but with no mainstream business. Only when they were nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they got massive support there I noticed that, hey, people know these guys. The problem seems to be my home country, were they only had one minor hit - Drive (although it is one of those songs I never knew the band name of). Just What Is Needed is never played around here and well, outside of Drive nothing is.

I still haven't heard much of them, but kind of like what I heard.
It’s funny how our perceptions of an artist’s popularity can vary so much from country to country. Over here in the US, The Cars have a good number of iconic songs. Even if you’re not into their music at all you’d probably know “Just What I Needed”, “Drive”, and a few other hits.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”