An Interesting Project

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

An Interesting Project

Post by Hymie »

https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/about ... us-lunacy/

Examining the history of rock and roll from the start, one song at a time.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Re: An Interesting Project

Post by mileswide »

It was apparently inspired by https://motownjunkies.co.uk which I can see being my new obsession, so thanks for the link!
All I got inside is vacancy!
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

mileswide wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:13 am It was apparently inspired by https://motownjunkies.co.uk which I can see being my new obsession, so thanks for the link!
Yes, the guy who writes it, Sampson, asked me what I thought about the idea a few years ago. He said he wanted it to be like the Motown thing except covering the entire history of rock and roll, starting in 1947 with "Good Rocking Tonight" by Roy Brown.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Hymie wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 am Yes, the guy who writes it, Sampson, asked me what I thought about the idea a few years ago. He said he wanted it to be like the Motown thing except covering the entire history of rock and roll, starting in 1947 with "Good Rocking Tonight" by Roy Brown.
Nice idea, do you know if it'll use the narrow definition of rock and roll (the genre most popular in the 50s) or the wider one (all rock music)? I can't tell so far as they're still on 1949. It's an epic undertaking either way!
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

It'll be VERY wide. Sampson considers all forms of popular black music (soul, funk, disco, hip hop, etc..) to be rock, as do I.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

I admit my interest will more consistently pique from Mary Wells' My Guy onwards in that case but I'll drop by and give some of the earlier cuts a whirl in the meantime, always open to new sounds!
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

Hymie wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:54 pm It'll be VERY wide. Sampson considers all forms of popular black music (soul, funk, disco, hip hop, etc..) to be rock, as do I.
Well, that's a slight exaggeration. You probably won't see Sammy Davis, Jr., Charley Pride, Josh White or George Benson appear in his project.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Sammy Davis Jr. doesn't do black music!
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

OK, Pride doesn't either. But Sampson would certainly not consider certain forms of smooth jazz (and maybe even smooth soul) rock music. I think his stance on Luther Vandross was that he's not rock music and he doesn't include Brook Benton among his R&RHoF candidates though he'd easily have the commercial credentials.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”