Lollapalooza recommendations

andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Lollapalooza recommendations

Post by andyd1010 »

I'm going to Lolla on Friday. Here's the lineup: https://www.lollapalooza.com/lineup/by-day/

The only acts whose discographies I'm really familiar with are Tame Impala, Janelle Monae and Maggie Rogers. I like some songs by some other artists:

Childish Gambino: This Is America; Redbone; Me and Your Mama
Death Cab for Cutie: I Will Follow You into the Dark; I Will Possess Your Heart; Soul Meets Body
Chevelle: Sleep Apnea
Japanese Breakfast: Road Head
Idles: Great; Cry to Me (I know that album was huge here but I wasn't that into it)

Any other recommendations of artists/albums/songs to check out in the next couple days before I go? Of the artists I didn't mention, I've only ever heard of a couple of them, and most of them have no songs on AM, so I don't know where to start. Thanks!
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Re: Lollapalooza recommendations

Post by Cold Butterfly »

You definitely need to check out Mitski before you go. I’m sure you already know she’s a huge critical favorite, but her entire discography lives up to the praise. I’d suggest listening to Be The Cowboy and Puberty 2, which are both classic albums imo. Also look out for her during her Lollapalooza set, she is in my opinion one of the best live performers in the entire field of popular music right now.

I’d also keep an eye out for Tierra Whack and Denzel Curry, who are also fantastic artists. Whack World and ZUU are also absolutely essential for any fans of hip hop/r&b.
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

Besides the 21 Pilots and Strokes headlines, I'd definitely check out Sigrid, Sam Fender and, especially, Jade Bird. They all have their first albums releas this year (although Sam's only due in September), so I'd say give those a 'spin'.

Personal top 3 tracks:
Jade Bird: Love Has All Been Done Before, I Get No Joy, Uh Huh
Sigrid: Strangers, Sucker Punch, Don't Feel Like Crying
Sam Fender: That Sound, Friday Fighting, Hypersonic Missiles

21 Pilots: Stressed Out, Ride, Chlorine - Can't believe they're not on AM, Blurryface is a terrific album
Strokes: Heart In A Cage, Last Nite, 12:51 - Apparently Heart In a Cage isn't one of the 17! Strokes AM songs, how!
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Cold Butterfly wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:57 am You definitely need to check out Mitski before you go. I’m sure you already know she’s a huge critical favorite, but her entire discography lives up to the praise. I’d suggest listening to Be The Cowboy and Puberty 2, which are both classic albums imo. Also look out for her during her Lollapalooza set, she is in my opinion one of the best live performers in the entire field of popular music right now.

I’d also keep an eye out for Tierra Whack and Denzel Curry, who are also fantastic artists. Whack World and ZUU are also absolutely essential for any fans of hip hop/r&b.
I love Mitski! She's fantastic and I'd love to see her live. Unfortunately I'm only going on Friday though.

Any specific suggestions for Tierra Whack?
BobPatience wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:36 am Besides the 21 Pilots and Strokes headlines, I'd definitely check out Sigrid, Sam Fender and, especially, Jade Bird. They all have their first albums releas this year (although Sam's only due in September), so I'd say give those a 'spin'.

Personal top 3 tracks:
Jade Bird: Love Has All Been Done Before, I Get No Joy, Uh Huh
Sigrid: Strangers, Sucker Punch, Don't Feel Like Crying
Sam Fender: That Sound, Friday Fighting, Hypersonic Missiles

21 Pilots: Stressed Out, Ride, Chlorine - Can't believe they're not on AM, Blurryface is a terrific album
Strokes: Heart In A Cage, Last Nite, 12:51 - Apparently Heart In a Cage isn't one of the 17! Strokes AM songs, how!
I love The Strokes too - they're my favorite artist playing this weekend - and I agree Heart in a Cage belongs on AM. I'm familiar with Twenty One Pilots too since one of my friends is obsessed with them - I like Ride.

I'll check out the Sigrid suggestions and I'll listen to the ones that aren't performing Friday after the weekend. Thanks!
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

For Tierra Whack, definitely check out Whack World. One of 2018’s best albums in my opinion, and also appeared on a lot of year-end lists as well. The album features an unusual format (fifteen tracks which are all about one minute long), but it’s a rewarding listen nevertheless.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Second Bob's choices for Jade Bird plus her song What Am I Here For- it might be better suited for a more intimate setting than Lolla but it really showcases her singing and songwriting.

Yaeji's a really fun DJ who also sings/raps faintly over minimalist house in English and Korean- Drink I'm Sippin On and Raingurl are her signatures. Enjoy, hope the warm weather in Chi City holds up!
All I got inside is vacancy!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Hiya
If you intend to go see Death Cab for Cutie, check out their Transatlancism album. Definitely their best.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I would check out Sharon Van Etten.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

spiritualized wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 am Hiya
If you intend to go see Death Cab for Cutie, check out their Transatlancism album. Definitely their best.
I would like to! But they scheduled Janelle Monae at the same time! I’ll check out the album later though.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Jirin wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:59 pm I would check out Sharon Van Etten.
She’s great too, but not playing tomorrow. There is some of her discography I still need to listen to though. Seventeen is definitely one of the songs of the year.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Alright, recap time. I saw IDLES, Tierra Whack, Maggie Rogers, Janelle Monae and Tame Impala. Pretty awesome lineup.

My friend had never heard of IDLES and loved them. They were much better than I expected - great energy and the lead singer made crazy facial expressions that were entertaining - hard to tell if he was being serious or not. He also picked up some drumsticks and joined the drummer during a pretty epic finale. We listened to IDLES again later that night and I still thought the recorded tracks were nowhere near as captivating as the show.

Tierra Whack was a lot of fun as well. A very promising talent - I’ll need to listen more to her.

Maggie Rogers was fantastic. Out of everyone I saw, her fans seemed to know her songs the best, and they were singing along pretty passionately. She is an effortlessly smooth performer. She just looks very relaxed and happy, and it was a great vibe the whole show.

Janelle Monae was the most impressive performer. She had a very intense look in her eyes throughout, like her life depended on this show. She had some serious dance moves, reminiscent of Michael Jackson. She also had by far the wackiest costumes, including some pretty graphic pants for Pynk... very politically charged show as well, despite not playing Americans.

Tame Impala was great as well. Their show was less about dancing and theatrics and more about the music, with a cool light show to complement it. The one strange part was that a few times between songs, or at the end of songs, they experimented with guitar effects and other sound effects, so it was kind of an onslaught of chaotic sound at times. But they played all their best songs and nailed them.

All in all, a great day of music!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”