R.I.P. Roky Erickson

Harold
Into the Groove

R.I.P. Roky Erickson

Post by Harold »

A post in the "Survivors of the 60s" thread prodded me to note the passing of two more legends. This thread is to honor the legendary Texas psychedelic rocker Roky Erickson (lead singer of The 13th Floor Elevators), who died over the weekend at 71. Much like Brian Wilson, Erickson made a remarkable comeback and managed to sustain a career for decades despite a lifelong battle with serious mental illness. The Elevators' 1966 debut single "You're Gonna Miss Me" was a highlight of the great garage-band compilation Nuggets (dig that crazy "electric jug"!), but the band's first two albums (The Psychedelic Sounds of... and Easter Everywhere) are both well worth seeking out.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: R.I.P. Roky Erickson

Post by Rob »

Yes, I heard this at the beginning of the week and decided to check out some of his solo recordings. Very moving stuff. Would like to delve deeper and give some more recommendations by then, but I'm not sure I will have the time for it these days.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Re: R.I.P. Roky Erickson

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Just yesterday I was playing NBA 2K19 with The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators playing in the background in it's entirety...His work with the band represented the apogee of 60s garage rock in my opinion, transcending it's DIY aesthetic into true sophistication. R.I.P. Rory, you are gone but will never be forgotten.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”