Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - Round 1.3

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - Round 1.3

Post by Brad »

Welcome to the round 1.3 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = April 16th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tlist.cfm?t ... Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019

Match-ups:
1. Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking vs. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
2. Oval - 94 Diskont vs. blink-182 - Enema of the State
3. Buckingham Nicks - Buckingham Nicks vs. Enya - Shepherd Moons
4. Gavin Bryars - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet vs. Kino - Kino (The Black Album)

Gavin Bryars:
https://open.spotify.com/album/7CQhsmcb ... A17WAlDwwQ
Kino:
https://open.spotify.com/album/69ZJ5dzc ... 7HEAonztsQ

We're comin' to your town
We'll help you party it down
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - Round 1.3

Post by acroamor »

Had a busy week last week so missed the chance to vote, but thankfully I'm already familiar with the majority of the albums this week.

1. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
2. blink-182 - Enema of the State
3. Buckingham Nicks - Buckingham Nicks
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

4. Gavin Bryars - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

SHARON VAN ETTEN - ARE WE THERE
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Unhalfbricking 91 - Are We There 86

I'm happy to report Sharon Van Etten finally clicked with me. After I didn't get into this album at all in 2014, I'm adding it to the qualification list for my 2010s tournament scheduled for 2020.

Abstaining here as I dislike both.

Buckingham Nicks 87 - Shepherd Moons 67

One on the list of "Albums only hard to find in permanent legal form because for the band personal issues > money".

Kino 77 - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet 75

Very close 'Battle of the weird'.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

BLINK-182 - ENEMA OF THE STATE
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

4. Gavin Bryars - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet vs. Kino - Kino (The Black Album)

1st match-up is unfortunate. Unhalfbricking has great songs (Who Knows Where the Time Goes?, Percy's Song, Autopsy), but it isn't as consistent as Leige & Leaf, while Are We There works better as an album.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

BUCKINGHAM NICKS - BUCKINGHAM NICKS
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking
Oval - 94 Diskont
Enya - Shepherd Moons
Gavin Bryars - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet

Favorite album I couldn't vote for: Kino - Kino (The Black Album) My second favorite album of the week (and a really nice discovery).
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking (1969) vs. 3. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There (2014)
5. Oval - 94 Diskont (1995) vs. 7. blink-182 - Enema of the State (1999)
4. Buckingham Nicks - Buckingham Nicks (1973) vs. 6. Enya - Shepherd Moons (1991)
2. Gavin Bryars with Tom Waits - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet (1993) vs. 8. Кино - Кино (1990)

Favourite song from every album:
Who Knows Where the Time Goes? | Tarifa | Cross Selling | Adam's Song | Long Distance Winner | How Can I Keep from Singing? | Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet: Tramp With Orchestra I (string quartet) | Завтра война

Favourite song of the week: Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet: Tramp With Orchestra I (string quartet)
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

4. TBA
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Some tough choices this week.

1. Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking
2. Oval - 94 Diskont
3. Enya - Shepherd Moons
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

1 | Fairport Convention | Unhalfbricking
3 | Sharon Van Etten | Are We There

7 | Oval | 94 Diskont
8 | blink-182 | Enema of the State

5 | Buckingham Nicks | Buckingham Nicks
6 | Enya | Shepherd Moons

2 | Gavin Bryars | Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet
4 | Kino | Kino (The Black Album)

Favourite song of the week: Fairport Convention | A Sailor's Life
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

KINO - KINO (THE BLACK ALBUM)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

Thanks!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I feel like that
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Anyone know where I can find biographical info for Gemini Eye (Week 7)? Album is awesome but they are not on all music. Wondering if they have any other albums.

It’s like Scott Miller meets garage rock.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

2. Oval - 94 Diskont
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

2. Oval - 94 Diskont
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Jirin wrote:It’s like Scott Miller meets garage rock.
I can't wait to hear this album now!

Anyway, here are my votes for the week:

Both these albums are pretty good, but Van Etten's album is certainly in a league above Fairport Convention's.

I'm not a fan of either of these albums, but there are a few songs I like from the Blink-182 album.
CupOfDreams
Different Class

Post by CupOfDreams »

2. Oval - 94 Diskont
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

8. Buckingham Nicks – Buckingham Nicks
In a way, not being available can work in the advantage of an album, as it can take on mythic proportions that it probably could not attain based on the music itself. This certainly goes for Buckingham Nicks, even though the album is only semi-unavailable (you can’t buy it, but you can still listen to it). This pre-Fleetwood Mac work by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks isn’t bad, but it is incredibly unremarkable.
I know, I have said before that I don’t think Fleetwood Mac is all that amazing either, but it was certainly a band good in making light melodies that were always fine to listen to. This album has not much of that. Maybe Crying in the Night and Long Distance Winner, but even they would be the lesser tracks of their classic albums. It may all sound like Fleetwood Mac, but I feel that you have to be a huge fan of that band to get some real satisfaction out of this. Some tunes are particularly weak, like Don’t Let Me Down Again and the sung part of Frozen Love (the instrumental second half is better).
And there is also one bad song, that sounds like a lame rip-off of a song The Kinks had a hit with only three years earlier. Please don’t let me point to you which song I mean. The Kinks could probably sue and should win. The following court case might also be in favor of audiences worldwide, as it would finally allow for a reunion of both Buckingham and Nicks as well as the Davies brothers.

7. Blink-182 – Enema of the State
Blink-182 may ask themselves the question “What’s My Age Again?”, but they probably didn’t ask the question “What’s My Audience’s Age Again?”. The enduring appeal of this band and especially this album is I think thanks to that they knew exactly who their audience were and specifically understood their age group. So Enema to the State belongs to every high schooler and perhaps does just starting college (yes, “Going Away to College” is a song title). It is unapologetically juvenile and sophomoric. With it’s lyrical themes and pop-punk sound it basically took the personas of Green Day, took it through a grinder provided by The Offspring and arrived at their own image, which is so pubescent that it makes Dookie seem like Leonard Cohen’s Songs of Love and Hate and Smash like Joni Mitchell’s Hejira.
How much you will like this album probably depends on how much you can (still) relate to the teenage life. Not the inner teenage life of angst and self-discovery, but the outer teenager that relishes in stupid behavior, “bad” poses and vulgar humor. Sure, there are a couple of inward looking moments here and there, but basically these guys are incorrigible brats. To be fair, I was a teenager when they hit it big, but they never connected to me. Listening to this again this week wasn’t particularly nostalgic to me and the first listen I didn’t care. Yet the second time I got more into it’s groove. There are still things that don’t connect (sorry, Dysentery Gary, but you’re really not my type) and I fail to see why this is a masterpiece that needs to be on AM and get tons of votes in this poll. And yet, there is some fun to be had here, especially “Don’t Leave Me” and the earlier mentioned “Going Away to College” and “What’s My Age Again?” There are still too many throw-away songs for me (including the popular “All the Small Things”, for some reason), but at least the whole thing holds a little charm to me now.

6. Kino – Чёрный альбом
Kino, while an unknown quality to Acclaimed Music (and to me too) seem to be a rather big deal in the Russian speaking world. A hugely popular act that started to play rock music just around the time it was starting to be allowed, with mostly non-political, but still challenging lyrics about the nature of freedom, they seemed to be the right people, for the right place, at the right time.
Of course, I can only get this information by researching online. I do not know a bit of Russian and the lyrics are apparently part of the appeal of this band, so that is lost on me. Even when forgetting about the words for a minute it is also hard to judge the impact of such a band on a formerly more closed-of society, whose history can not always be grasped by western hands. Nonetheless, at least at Rate Your Music they have garnered some stellar scores and as far as I can see not only because of the Russian members.
Despite all this context I still feel that as a Dutchman and a newcomer to Kino I don’t get the full experience, so I can only judge the music. It reminded me a lot of Joy Division, although maybe a bit less gloomy (note though, apparently the lyrics are quite heavy). Some reviews speak of the despair in the music, which I simply don’t hear all that much. It’s a little moody at best and Когда твоя девушка больна actually sounds like the Summer to me – but than I notice that the title translates as “When Your Girlfriend Is Ill”, so were does that leave my judgment?
Let me just say that I liked the album, even if I can’t see it as a masterpiece just yet. The playing is not only good, but surprisingly catchy, with a feeling for rhythm that reminds me of Joy Division and a special importance for the bass player. There is also a touch of new wave here, which also makes sure that the music sometimes sounds too clean for my tastes. By the way, this whole album reminds me more of 1980, than 1990, but since rock was apparently not a common form before the eighties we can forgive them for that.
I liked the album quite a bit more the second time so there might be room for growth. Coincidentally, next Thursday the movie Leto will be released in The Netherlands, which is about band leader’s Viktor Tsoi’s early years in music and the founding of Kino. Apparently it is not well received by the still living band members, but I’ll probably give it a try.

5. Sharon Van Etten – Are We There
The stream of female singer/songwriter albums in the last years seems to show no sign of stopping, but this one was rather ahead (which is not to say that it is an early example of the genre, just of the current trend). Curiously, it was also one of the few acclaimed albums of it’s genre I didn’t yet here, though I did her Van Etten’s latest, which I like a lot. There’s a big difference between this and Remind Me Tomorrow though, as Van Etten has currently embraced more pop-like structures and a more catchy sound, while these are mostly solemn piano ballads. Still, the way she describes parts of her life in a way that feels like a big question mark (the title Are We There is perhaps her ultimate statement of intent) is present in both albums and probably in earlier work as well.
I’m a little hesitant to judge this album yet. I think it is good, sometimes very good, but also feel like I haven’t gripped it yet. If I think of my favorite albums in the genre in recent years – Phoebe Bridgers’ Strangers in the Alps, Angel Olsen’s My Woman, Hayley Heynderickx’ I Need to Start a Garden, Jesca Hoop’s Memories Are Now – I know that it takes multiple listens to let things sink in. The singer/ songwriter genre is all about nuance: the hidden meaning of words and the way they are sung and accompanied by music. And that just takes time to sink in, more time than I have in a week’s listening for this game. I could see this be a grower, but only if it advances for some rounds (which it likely will) I’ll know for sure how good it is.

4. Oval – 94 diskont.
A whirring and glitching electronic album. It feels slightly ambient, at least in its first half, but never allows itself to become mere background music. It’s the glitches, that produce a sort of grinding sound, that insist that you shouldn’t become too relaxed. That first track, the 24 minute Do While, is deservedly a classic in the genre, a great study in electronic textures. After that it continues with a couple of songs that sound rather similar, but are notably shorter and don’t have the interesting development of Do While. In fact, although not bad, they are a bit of a let-down. Just when things are threatening to fizzle out a bit, the whole albums shifts gears. On Cross Selling the album suddenly becomes playful and the next few songs take this further by becoming powerful hard-hitting tracks. Not quite dance electronic, but more the electronic variation of improvisational hard rock. Therefore the last few songs are equals to the big opener, albeit for mostly different reasons. It seems Oval was experimenting with the different form of electronics and for the most part he succeeded.

3. Gavin Bryars with Tom Waits – Jesus’ Blood Never Failed Me Yet
When this thing starts slowly the voice of someone who sounds like a tramp appears and sings a few lines that get looped over and over. I quickly wondered how many times this loop would be repeated. Turned out the loop goes on for all 75 minutes of it, with slowly varying accompaniment. There are several tracks, but they melt over into one another unnoticeably.
Also, the tramp turned out to be a real tramp, whose singing was recorded for a documentary Bryars worked on, but went unused in the actual film. Somehow Bryars thought it was a good idea to make it into an endless song, a song he seems to be sort of obsessed with as he kept reworking it. The first performance of the song is from 1972, the first recording appeared on the classic album The Sinking of the Titanic. The one we listen to now dates from 1993 and is apparently the most ultimate version we will ever get, because Bryars always wanted the piece to be as long as possible and the CD format that was in vogue in the nineties allowed for 75 minutes, finally.
There is little variation here, but still there is enough to not get annoyed or bored. There is something moving about the voice of the tramp and the music bathes it into a soothing atmosphere, that seems comforting, as if it wants to give truth to the meaning of the hobo’s song. After about 55 minutes the tramp is accompanied by a voice from perhaps the only man who has made being a tramp into a successful career move. That would be Tom Waits of course. Because Waits is not restricted to a small sample he can vary somewhat. What I like about the late introduction of Waits is that it finally makes the original guy seem less lonely, so when the album finally slowly fades out we here the two guys singing together, two kindred souls wandering off into an uncertain and likely uncomfortable future. But now they have each other and of course Jesus’ blood, which hasn’t failed them yet.

2. Enya – Shepherd Moons
Enya is one of those artists I have always known as one of those artists people hate beyond reason. New age is already as uncool as you can get, but her elfish sound and themes made sure that despite her impressive vocal skills she would be someone you would not dare to admit to liking. I never got it, as I always had a soft spot for her shameless blending of Celtic roots with high-fantasy themes and turn them into smooth, tension-less songs that are half nursery rhymes and half mystic visions. I find her music soothing and at times strangely gripping.
I actually learned about her through May It Be, a song written for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. And here on Shepherd Moons she actually has an instrumental called Lothlórien. For those who are less familiar with Tolkien’s books: that is indeed a forest city where Elfs live. In the magnificent ballad Marble Halls, Enya envisions herself as a sort of queen or heroine from a fantasy dynasty that has seen better days. And so on and so on. This type of fantasy stylings usually belong complete to nerd-dom and are only otherwise heard of in metal. But whereas metal uses these stories for bombast, Enya sees them as romantic tales with gentle magic.
It’s an acquired taste perhaps, but there is a fantasy lover in me that doesn’t mind listening to a Celtic Elf every now and then. Enya has not just an amazing voice, but also a good ear for melody. Whereas some new age can also for me be too much of a wishy-washy softness, Enya is always an enchantress and although I certainly don’t know all her albums, Shepherd Moons is one of her best albums.

1. Fairport Convention – Unhalfbricking
It’s not that big a leap from Enya to Fairport Convention. Both have a love for the mystic, for the ancient and for Celtic roots. But despite being 22 years older and sounding like it, Unhalfbricking is a more modern album than Shepherd Moons. What sets Fairport Convention apart from many fellow folk acts from the same time (or any time really) is the way Richard Thompson plays his guitar. The songs themselves are frequently covers, sometimes of very old songs (in this case, “A Sailor’s Life”) or contemporary folkies (there are three Dylan covers here) and if they are originals, they still feel old and traditional in lyrical content (heck, agelessness is pretty much the subject of “Who Knows Were the Time Goes?”). Sandy Denny has one of those voices that comes straight from 1800. Or is it 1400? Why not 600?
But Richard Thompson, while faithful to the material, is another matter. His guitar playing is rough like the old lives he invokes, but has the edge of modern rock music. He frequently adds a muscular touch to these songs and has a way of subtly improvising to give these stories that extra punch that they at times need. He is one of my favorite guitar players of any genre and a true original.
I place this album on top this week’s list, despite some flaws. “Si tu dois partir” is not great and “Cajun Woman” pretty bad. But in contrast this album contains the four best songs of the week: “Genesis Hall”, the epic and exploratory “A Sailor’s Life”, the enchanting “Who Knows Where the Time Goes?” (Denny’s highpoint as both a singer as well as a writer) and personal favorite “Percy’s Song”. Add to that the also very good “Autopsy” and the fun romp through Dylan’s “Million Dollar Bash” and you have so much greatness that I can forgive some slip-ups.

A simple overview of my votes:

4. Gavin Bryars - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet vs. Kino - Чёрный альбом
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

7. Unhalfbricking < 3. Are We There
8. 94 Diskont < 5. Enema of the State
1. Buckingham Nicks > 6. Shepherd Moons
4. Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet < 2. Kino (The Black Album)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

"Unhalfbricking" is my favourite this week and I'm not really a fan of it (oui, a weak week for me).
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Votes being fairly polarized, and not enough time to listen to 5 albums in a day, I'll vote for the ones I've already listened to ;

2. Oval - 94 Diskont (5/10) vs. blink-182 - Enema of the State (7/10)
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Only three for me this week. I didn't know Fairport Convention before and liked it very much. Sharon van Etten was good too, but I liked other her albums more.
Oval was a bit boring, but not being blink-182 is a win by default ;)
Kino was not bad, but would probably been better if I could understand it. Jesus Blood never failed me yet is a fascinating work, although I have to admin I didn't listen to the whole 70+ Minutes in one take
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

The last match was particularly tough, and I worry I may come to regret my decision.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

2 hours left to vote!
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Bit of a delay - I'll get results up shortly!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

25 total voters this week (loving the participation):
acroamor
andyd1010
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
CupOfDreams
DaveC
FrankLotion
hectorthebat
Honorio
jamiew
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Listyguy
madzong
Nassim
PlasticRam
Rdwdbob
Rob
Romain
rumpdoll
Safetycat
spiritualized
StevieFan13
Sweepstakes Ron

Winners:
1. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There over Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking 14-9
2. Oval - 94 Diskont loses to blink-182 - Enema of the State 13-12 (ot).
***Somebody who hasn't already voted in this match-up please break the tie!***

3. Buckingham Nicks - Buckingham Nicks over Enya - Shepherd Moons 14-6
4. Gavin Bryars - Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet over Kino - Kino (The Black Album) 11-8

Oval - 94 Diskont vs. blink-182 - Enema of the State TIE! 12-12.
***Somebody who hasn't already voted in this match-up please break the tie!***

Round 1.4 up next!
Last edited by Brad on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

Tie-break: Oval - 94 Diskont vs. blink-182 - Enema of the State
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Thanks BobP!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Jirin wrote:Anyone know where I can find biographical info for Gemini Eye (Week 7)? Album is awesome but they are not on all music. Wondering if they have any other albums.

It’s like Scott Miller meets garage rock.
My first run-through, I'm getting a Cinematic Orchestra meets Dirty Projectors vibe...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”