Acclaimed Music Meetup – 11 to 13 October in Montpellier, France

Dan
Rust Never Sleeps

Acclaimed Music Meetup – 11 to 13 October in Montpellier, France

Post by Dan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:04 pm

Moonbeam will be… well… beaming himself over from Australia to Montpellier in France during October, so naturally a few forumers have arranged to meet up during that time because, you know, life is short, and we are a friendly community on this forum, and if you love music and lists you might as well spend some time with nice people who love those things as much as you do.

So far, Moonbeam, Henrik, Honorio and I have confirmed that we will be meeting up in Montpellier during the weekend of 11-13 October. Nicolas hasn’t confirmed yet, but might also be attending.

[imgsize 200x200]https://e.snmc.io/i/600/s/899bcf43ffee6 ... d9/5319102[/imgsize]
[imgsize 200x123]https://e.snmc.io/i/fullres/s/9c4ede073 ... fb/5319106[/imgsize]
[imgsize 200x130]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss34 ... antHQ.jpeg[/imgsize]
[imgsize 200x180]http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Forum/ABBA_cover.jpg[/imgsize]
[imgsize 200x200]https://image.ibb.co/kDAdMp/I_Shaved_My ... _441px.jpg[/imgsize]

We would very much like to extend the invitation to everyone else. I suppose it might be easier for our French friends on the forum to join than it might be for others, but you are all welcome to beam yourselves over from wherever you are. (If only beaming didn’t cost any money.)

Let us know if you can make it too. I’m obviously excited.

[imgsize 200x150]https://media.giphy.com/media/9fum7ZNMeZIaI/giphy.gif[/imgsize]
Last edited by Dan on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...will keep us together.

Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Acclaimed Music Meetup – 11 to 13 October in Marseille, France

Post by Moonbeam » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Not Marseille, but Montpellier!

Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Acclaimed Music Meetup – 11 to 13 October in Marseille, France

Post by Moonbeam » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:04 pm

And yeeeeeeeeeeeessssss! It is going to be an amazing weekend!

Dan
Rust Never Sleeps

Re: Acclaimed Music Meetup – 11 to 13 October in Montpellier, France

Post by Dan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:38 pm

Moonbeam wrote:Not Marseille, but Montpellier!
Lol, OMG (or should it be OMG, lol)? I totally knew it was Montpellier, not Marseille. I've even been doing research about what to do in Montpellier (not Marseille). I've corrected the title of the thread.

So, yeah, we hope to see some of you in Montpellier, if anyone can make it. :greetings-waveyellow:

At least I didn't get the year wrong. It's definitely 2019.

Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Moonbeam » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Dan wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:Not Marseille, but Montpellier!
Lol, OMG (or should it be OMG, lol)? I totally knew it was Montpellier, not Marseille. I've even been doing research about what to do in Montpellier (not Marseille). I've corrected the title of the thread.

So, yeah, we hope to see some of you in Montpellier, if anyone can make it. :greetings-waveyellow:

At least I didn't get the year wrong. It's definitely 2019.
Marseille isn't too far away - just a 2 hour train ride. A closer option could be Sète, the home of Georges Brassens! It's a cool little town by the water and it's only a 30-minute train ride. There is a Brassens museum I haven't visited before: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espace_Georges-Brassens

Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Moonbeam » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:00 pm

And of course, there is karaoke on Saturdays at the Jungle Pub... :mrgreen:

Dan
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Dan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:51 pm

Moonbeam wrote:Marseille isn't too far away - just a 2 hour train ride. A closer option could be Sète, the home of Georges Brassens! It's a cool little town by the water and it's only a 30-minute train ride.
George Brassens. Now you're talking. I'd be happy to experience anything related to this compassionate yet subversive songwriter. Because I don't speak French, I can't appreciate the subtlety of his poetry as much as I'd like to. But I can certainly appreciate the subtle elegance of his music. In fact, I'll just post my favourite song of his right now...
Moonbeam wrote:And of course, there is karaoke on Saturdays at the Jungle Pub... :mrgreen:
Fab! But I'm not sure the French are ready for my terrible pronunciation (and hopefully less terrible dance moves) of Les Rita Mitsouko's wonderful "Marcia Baila"...

Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Moonbeam » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:49 am

Dan wrote: Fab! But I'm not sure the French are ready for my terrible pronunciation (and hopefully less terrible dance moves) of Les Rita Mitsouko's wonderful "Marcia Baila"...
They will appreciate it! After I did "Sans contrefaçon" by Mylène Farmer, the people I was with said "now you are French!" Might have a video of it somewhere.

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:10 am

Dan wrote:
So far, Moonbeam, Henrik, Honorio and I have confirmed that we will be meeting up in Montpellier during the weekend of 11-13 October. Nicolas hasn’t confirmed yet, but might also be attending.
Will this be the largest AM meet up yet? Someone who's an expert on AM meet ups will have to fill me in here.
Dan wrote:We would very much like to extend the invitation to everyone else. I suppose it might be easier for our French friends on the forum to join than it might be for others, but you are all welcome to beam yourselves over from wherever you are. (If only beaming didn’t cost any money.)

Let us know if you can make it too. I’m obviously excited.
I'd like to go, but, you know, money and such. Someday I'll leave North America, I swear. If there's ever an AM meet up in the US (particularly the east coast), count me in.

Dan
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Dan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:27 am

Nick wrote:If there's ever an AM meet up in the US (particularly the east coast), count me in.
I'm a little surprised you guys have never attempted to organise something similar on the American side of the Atlantic.

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:01 am

Dan wrote:
Nick wrote:If there's ever an AM meet up in the US (particularly the east coast), count me in.
I'm a little surprised you guys have never attempted to organise something similar on the American side of the Atlantic.
Perhaps it's our brusque American nature that has prevented such a meet up from ever taking place?

I kid, I kid. It is quite strange though.

bootsy
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by bootsy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 am

I can't even get to Florida, how am I going to make it to France. :mrgreen:

acroamor
Unquestionable Presence

Post by acroamor » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:20 am

Does anyone live in Georgia (the stateside one) or the surrounding area? I do remember seeing that another former member does, but I forget who and it was quite some time ago.

Romain
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Romain » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:34 am

Guys, I'm far too shy and homey to meet you there (do you think, I've never been to Paris when it's 1h30 by TGV) but I'll think of you. You are a bunch of very pleasan guy.

For the music, at karaoke, choose a little Brassens (going to Sète is a good idear too) and don't forget Boby Lapointe especially, who comes from Pézenas, a village not very far from Montpellier. Considering the near impossibility for French people to sing these texts correctly, it can be very funny for a non-French-speaking person of origin : -)

I invite you to drink a glass of Pic-St-loup, a very good red wine from the region.

I hope you will have a wonderful time, I have no doubt about that.

Nassim
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Nassim » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:24 am

Count me in guys !
Maybe not on Friday night because I live on the furthest side of the country and it's a bit early to confirm I can take the day off, but I'll for sure join for the rest of the weekend !

Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:28 am

Nassim wrote:Count me in guys !
Maybe not on Friday night because I live on the furthest side of the country and it's a bit early to confirm I can take the day off, but I'll for sure join for the rest of the weekend !
Fantastic! It will be a pleasure to meet you and anyone who joins in!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:43 am

Although France is manageable for me, the date is not, so I have to skip this one. Hopefully sometime in the future I can join!

Honorio
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Honorio » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:56 pm

Hey, my friends! It will be my pleasure to join you in Montpellier! And welcome to the band, Nassim!
We're five right now, we can reproduce a Stones cover...
[imgsize 200x200]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 2B-UK-.jpg[/imgsize]
But everyone's invited to the party! It would be great if we get to ten!

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:10 pm

I'm gonna be in London around that time, so we shall see if that weekend is free-ish. I'd love to meet you guys!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

Honorio
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Honorio » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Oh, yeah! Good news, StevieFan13!

Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:19 pm

That's great, Stevie Fan! Let's aim for this cover.

[imgsize 300x300]https://img.discogs.com/PhtzUvq111mGKn8 ... 5.jpeg.jpg[/imgsize]

Jackson
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jackson » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:08 pm

acroamor wrote:Does anyone live in Georgia (the stateside one) or the surrounding area? I do remember seeing that another former member does, but I forget who and it was quite some time ago.
You may be remembering that I used to live in Athens, GA during college, but I'm in LA now. It's funny, I have no idea where the American AMers live.

acroamor
Unquestionable Presence

Post by acroamor » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:36 pm

Jackson wrote:
acroamor wrote:Does anyone live in Georgia (the stateside one) or the surrounding area? I do remember seeing that another former member does, but I forget who and it was quite some time ago.
You may be remembering that I used to live in Athens, GA during college, but I'm in LA now. It's funny, I have no idea where the American AMers live.
That is funny, I was in LA for college but now I'm in Atlanta.

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:06 pm

I’m based in New York (City for home, upstate for school)
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

spiritualized
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by spiritualized » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:11 am

Hello :) well that is just peachy.

I live 25 mins from Montpellier, having moved about a month ago there. So you can count me in to meet you somewhere around Montpellier and I hope to be able to share the beauties of the area.
I can't commit fully though as I have a job which can take me away at the last minute - but I will do my damnedest :)

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Nick » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:26 am

I live just outside scenic Albany, NY.

Dan
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Dan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Wonderful that Nassim, spiritualized, and StevieFan could all potentially join us! :happy-partydance:
Romain wrote:Guys, I'm far too shy and homey to meet you there (do you think, I've never been to Paris when it's 1h30 by TGV) but I'll think of you. You are a bunch of very pleasan guy.

For the music, at karaoke, choose a little Brassens (going to Sète is a good idear too) and don't forget Boby Lapointe especially, who comes from Pézenas, a village not very far from Montpellier. Considering the near impossibility for French people to sing these texts correctly, it can be very funny for a non-French-speaking person of origin : -)

I invite you to drink a glass of Pic-St-loup, a very good red wine from the region.

I hope you will have a wonderful time, I have no doubt about that.
I can totally understand the shyness. We'll think of you while drinking a glass of Pic-St-loup. And if a karaoke will happen, I'm sure at least one of us will make a fool of ourselves by attempting a difficult Brassens or Lapointe song. (I'll record a video if it's not me singing.) :mrgreen:

Setherex
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Setherex » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 pm

acroamor wrote:
Jackson wrote:
That is funny, I was in LA for college but now I'm in Atlanta.
Well we should have done something about that back then! :o

I'll never make it to a European meeting. But I'm sure some day I'll be tempted to colonize a stateside one...

jamieW
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by jamieW » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Would love to meet all of you someday but (similar to Romain) I'm a terminal introvert and (now that I work from home) rarely leave the house. I do pretty well getting to know people one-on-one; but, in a group, I shrink to the back, never to be heard from, so it's really difficult to get to know me. (I watched the videos of Henrik & Moonbeam performing karaoke, and in my wildest dreams I could never do that.) Still, I'm really excited for all the attendees of this upcoming meeting and am looking forward to seeing videos, photos, album cover recreations, etc. It's one of the highlights of this friendly forum! :romance-grouphug:

Romain
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Romain » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:14 am

Dan wrote: And if a karaoke will happen, I'm sure at least one of us will make a fool of ourselves by attempting a difficult Brassens or Lapointe song. (I'll record a video if it's not me singing.) :mrgreen:
I WANT to see that. (and another Moonbeam dance too, but it's another history.) :mrgreen:
Have a good trip all of you.

Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Moonbeam » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:09 am

Found my attempt at Mylène from 2 years ago:
This place had a guitarist who joined in.

Romain
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Romain » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:01 am

Excuse me Moonbeam but I laughed to tears on my couch :mrgreen: :happy-partydance:
Thank you again.

Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Moonbeam » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:33 pm

Romain wrote:Excuse me Moonbeam but I laughed to tears on my couch :mrgreen: :happy-partydance:
Thank you again.
Happy to be of service! :mrgreen:

nicolas

Post by nicolas » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:23 am

I'll be there of course!
We should organize the meeting and especially the accomodation. What about a Whatsapp group?

Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Moonbeam » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 pm

nicolas wrote:I'll be there of course!
We should organize the meeting and especially the accomodation. What about a Whatsapp group?
Yes, I agree we should get going with this! I'd be happy to start a Whatsapp group. Those who are coming, send me a PM with your phone number and I'll create a group.

Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Moonbeam wrote:
nicolas wrote:I'll be there of course!
Yes, I agree we should get going with this! I'd be happy to start a Whatsapp group. Those who are coming, send me a PM with your phone number and I'll create a group.
:obscene-drinkingcheers: :romance-grouphug: :auto-camptrailer:

:character-cookiemonster:

Romain
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Romain » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:59 am

Guys, if I can't join you alas, I'll say hello later on TV, around 3pm (French Hour), if you watch the Tour de France, when the peloton passes through Courzieu! :greetings-waveyellow:

I'll be at my in-laws' house! :cry:

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:06 pm

I gotta get a WhatsApp, and even then I’m not sure if I can make it, but I’ll try!

Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Moonbeam » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:07 am

StevieFan13 wrote:I gotta get a WhatsApp, and even then I’m not sure if I can make it, but I’ll try!
Would be great if you could come! No pressure though.

Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Moonbeam » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:08 am

Romain wrote:Guys, if I can't join you alas, I'll say hello later on TV, around 3pm (French Hour), if you watch the Tour de France, when the peloton passes through Courzieu! :greetings-waveyellow:

I'll be at my in-laws' house! :cry:
We should keep a look out! If not, I'm sure we could arrange a group Facetime or something!