Biggest Fan Songs - February 2019

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Re: Biggest Fan - February 2019

Post by Hymie »

No, I have no problem with those other tracks, although I prefer this re-recording of the Mahalia Jackson record from 1955:

Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

This discussion seems to go pretty well. Let’s keep it friendly!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

35. Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction
Year: 2010
From the album: Nightmare
Biggest Fan: Andy1010 (#807)

Don’t forget you can always vote for earlier songs or change your vote!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction: 4
I feel like that
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

35. Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction

Not bad. A melodic metal band with an interesting jerky melody 5/10
fasbjd
Wannabe

Post by fasbjd »

Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction

It’s hard to hear the song outside of its context. It was written by their late drummer who gave his band mates the demo 3 days prior to his overdose death. While not ruled a suicide (pre-existing enlarged heart was deemed a factor in his death), many see the song as a suicide note...and listening to the lyrics it is obvious why.

As for the song, it’s dark and proggy. The drums are overpowering, which makes sense given the background. I think it’s the best song by the band, but admittedly, I’m not a huge fan of the band. 6
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:35. Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction

andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

fasbjd wrote:Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction

It’s hard to hear the song outside of its context. It was written by their late drummer who gave his band mates the demo 3 days prior to his overdose death. While not ruled a suicide (pre-existing enlarged heart was deemed a factor in his death), many see the song as a suicide note...and listening to the lyrics it is obvious why.

As for the song, it’s dark and proggy. The drums are overpowering, which makes sense given the background. I think it’s the best song by the band, but admittedly, I’m not a huge fan of the band. 6
I'm impressed someone here knows the context of an Avenged Sevenfold song! Funny that this song came up as Love Will Tear Us Apart is being debated on the other thread, and after talking about the emotion in modern singers. Unpopular opinion here, I know, but personally I've never felt much of any emotion from Joy Division, only through knowing the context. But the way The Rev belts out "Let it burn" is palpable for me and made all the more poignant by the context.

The only thing that keeps me from giving this a 10 is the beginning of the outro, which seems like an unfinished take before his death.

Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction: 9.5
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction: 6

Knowing some Avenged Sevenfold, I was expecting a straight-up metal song, but for a long time I got just some gentle piano playing. From there on out it develops into a kind of heave metal ballad in the mold of Queensrÿche's Silent Lucidity. I didn't think they made these anymore anno 2010. I can like these kind of things from time to time and this one is quite good, although I think that nothing quite beats that wordless piano opening, regardless of the back story (thanks fasbjd, for providing some context). Perhaps this will become a grower.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Hymie wrote: I mean, this site is great and all, but I hope nobody really believes that acts like Radiohead, Nirvana and the Velvet Underground are more significant in musical history than Bing Crosby, Al Jolson and Ella Fitzgerald.
I think that this is a bit short-sighted.
It's like saying that Attila the Hun was more significant in history than Stalin, or for a better analogy, Jesus was more significant than Gandhi. It's a matter of experience in your lifetime. I certainly was more influenced by Nirvana than Al Jolson, the latter just had half a century to be more significant.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Hymie wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: At some point I’m going to try and make a “non-covers from the last thirty years that Hymie would like” playlist.
Have at it!
Here you go. Happy to dig for more if these don’t tickle your fancy.
[spotifyplaylist]https://open.spotify.com/user/121516985 ... sIDHIrwbJg[/spotifyplaylist]
Delete the ? and everything after it and delete the s from https:

DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

spiritualized wrote:
Hymie wrote: I mean, this site is great and all, but I hope nobody really believes that acts like Radiohead, Nirvana and the Velvet Underground are more significant in musical history than Bing Crosby, Al Jolson and Ella Fitzgerald.
It's like saying that Attila the Hun was more significant in history than Stalin, or for a better analogy, Jesus was more significant than Gandhi. It's a matter of experience in your lifetime. I certainly was more influenced by Nirvana than Al Jolson, the latter just had half a century to be more significant.
The great calypso singer Atilla the Hun is indeed significant in music history. Stalin not so much.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Jesus Jones was pretty bad
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nirvana never did blackface. That’s a plus.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

spiritualized wrote:
It's not about who was a bigger influence one a particular person or one's personal opinion of an act's music. It's about the objective achievements of each act. Your examples are way off though. If Bing Crosby is Atilla the Hun then Nirvana is like Tanya Harding. Crosby was SO MUCH bigger and more influential in his day than Nirvana was in their day that's it's a joke to put them on equal footing here. Bing has one single that likely has sold more copies than every Nirvana record combined, and that's with Bing being at a big disadvantage because of the era he was part of.

Bing had over 300 singles that made the top 20, including 36 number one singles. Nirvana had ONE single that made the top 20. Nivana's entire catalog is like 50 songs, maybe fewer than that. Bing's catalog is well over 1,000 songs.

Bing was the most influential act ever on vocalists, including being the biggest influence on Frank Sinatra. Nirvana essentially has one song that the mainstream world is familiar with.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

DaveC wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Hymie wrote:
Have at it!
Here you go. Happy to dig for more if these don’t tickle your fancy.
[spotifyplaylist]https://open.spotify.com/user/121516985 ... sIDHIrwbJg[/spotifyplaylist]
Delete the ? and everything after it and delete the s from https:

Okay, I was able to get there. I've heard "Uptown Funk" before, that's pretty good. Nothing else there that I liked at all.

Did you listen to any of the tracks that I listed as my favorites from this century?

They will give you an idea of what I am looking for. Pretty much unless it is done in a much older style I am not gonna like it.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I very deliberately tried to find more retro-sounding songs. I could’ve sworn you’d go for some of them. I even included Alabama Shakes, and you mentioned liking one of their songs.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I’m glad I woke up from my sleep, because whenever people debate about different artists’ objective achievements, the discussion always derails completely. I intend to sleep several more hours, so I will lock this topic for a while and open it up again when it’s time for Rob to add another fan song. Please don’t start another topic to continue that discussion. Thank you.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Please keep things civil.

36. Labi Siffre – (Something Inside) So Strong
Year: 1987
From the album: So Strong
Biggest Fan: Red Ant (#37)

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Labi Siffre – (Something Inside) So Strong: 4
I feel like that
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

36. Labi Siffre – (Something Inside) So Strong

Ouch, the Genesis 80's synthesizer hurts nowadays. I think I would like it more with a current production... or older production :-) 4,5/10
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:Please keep things civil.
Nothing was uncivil. It's Henrik' site, but IMO there was nothing wrong with what we were discussing.
Rob wrote: 36. Labi Siffre – (Something Inside) So Strong
Good singer, nice song, would be much better IMO without the synthesizers and with real instruments.

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Yeah, I think Hymie and I were just having a little debate. No malice from either of us.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Fergie, featuring Ludacris - Glamorous: 3
Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction: 5
Labi Siffre – (Something Inside) So Strong: 6
There is No More Firmament.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

StevieFan13 wrote:Yeah, I think Hymie and I were just having a little debate. No malice from either of us.
Hymie wrote:
Rob wrote:Please keep things civil.
Nothing was uncivil. It's Henrik' site, but IMO there was nothing wrong with what we were discussing.
Rob wrote: 36. Labi Siffre – (Something Inside) So Strong
Good singer, nice song, would be much better IMO without the synthesizers and with real instruments.

Refer to this thread: http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... sby#p26682
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Listyguy wrote:
Nothing wrong with that discussion either.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Hymie wrote:
Listyguy wrote:
Nothing wrong with that discussion either.
Please no replies.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

34. Fergie, featuring Ludacris - Glamorous: 5
35. Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction: 4
36. Labi Siffre – (Something Inside) So Strong: 3
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

33. Riot – You Burn in Me 80's hair metal not my cuppa tea 2
34. Fergie, featuring Ludacris - Glamorous 2
35. Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction 4
Labi Siffre – (Something Inside) So Strong 3
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

31. Girls in Hawaii - Catwalk 7.25
32. Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue 5
33. Riot – You Burn in Me 2.5
34. Fergie, featuring Ludacris - Glamorous 3
35. Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction 6.5
36. Labi Siffre – (Something Inside) So Strong 3
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Another week, another Zombeels pick. Also the first artist who appears for the second time in this series:

37. Queen – All Dead, All Dead
Year: 1977
From the album: News of the World
Biggest Fan: Zombeels (#105)

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Queen – All Dead, All Dead: 5
I feel like that
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:Queen – All Dead, All Dead
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Labi Siffre - (Something Inside) So Strong: 8
A case were I'm somewhat surprised at the low ratings it get here. I have a more strong reaction to this. Let me elaborate.
A couple of months ago I heard this song played through the speakers of public area I pass through mostly daily on my way to work. They seem to mostly play ballads from the seventies, eighties and nineties for some reason. This time it stood out to me, because I think I hadn't heard it for ages. I don't think it is played much anymore anywhere and because it is no longer a common sound it brought me back to a time when this song was still a presence. It was released some months before my birth, but I remember this one being around when growing up and hearing it again I was brought back to feeling like a little kid, probably before the age of ten.

Back in the day this song struck me deeply, which wasn't exactly a given, as I really got into the music when I was in my late teens. I don't think I completely grasped what the song was about (although the lyrics are simple enough to be understood with the basic English I knew than), but it sounded profound to me.

The weird thing is that even after listening to it some eight times (if I counted correctly) over the past two days this effect hasn't waned. There were a couple of songs from my youth that seemed deep at the time, but seem schmaltzy, kitschy or even ridiculous when I got older - here's looking at Bryan Adams' (Everything I Do) I Do It For You, Bon Jovi's It's My Life and John Farnham's You're the Voice. So Strong doesn't quite suffer this fate. Yes, the lyrics are simple, but not overdone. Yes, the production is very much of it's time and unfashionable for today, but compared to a lot of similar ballads of it's age it is tastefully done. Above all there is something about Labi Siffre's voice that just sounds sincere and affecting. It finds a mixture between pathos and pride that usually leads to the worst schmaltz, but here evokes a simple honesty. Call me crazy, but to me it is a Many Rivers to Cross for the eighties (Siffre's vocals remind of Jimmy Cliff's somehow). Learning a bit about Siffre's gay background adds a little touch to it, but it already worked without that knowledge.

So this is a half forgotten hit, without acclaim and little love here, but I kind of love this song. Might just make my top 1000 in a few years.

Oh, and there is also this song:

Queen - All Dead, All Dead: 5
Kind of funny how we got two Queen song by now, but both don't manage to not have Freddy Mercury as a lead singer. This one is a little Good Company, but also less memorable. Personally I have no problem understanding why they both don't belong to the band's big classics.
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

37. Queen – All Dead, All Dead My favourite Queen song. 10

On the 40th Anniversary Edition of the album there is a version with Freddie doing the vocals,
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

We already had a cover of a Peruvian song through The Shining Path, but I think it is time for a recording directly from Peru. It is actually on AM, at #9539:

38. Los Saicos - Demolición
Year: 1965
Released as a single
Biggest Fan: Panam (#42)

Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

37. Queen – All Dead, All Dead
A sweet ballad, the melody on the piano is very beautiful, a good (re)discovery 7/10

38. Los Saicos - Demolición
:music-rockon: Punk is not my favorite genre but, in the genre, the song is rather pleasant and melodic 5/10
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Los Saicos - Demolición: 5
I feel like that
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:Los Saicos - Demolición
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Los Saicos - Demolición: 8

A very good discovery! It seems like the Peruvian answer to Surfin' Bird by The Trashmen, what with these wacky vocals and the surf guitar. Like Surfin' Bird it sounds much wilder than anything else around. Hack, the wild energy could pass for garage rock and maybe even - as Romain suggests - punk. Es desternillante! (please Google Translate, don't fail me now)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

39. KT Tunstall – Suddenly I See
Year: 2005
Album: Eye to the Telescope
Biggest Fan: Kaue (#323)

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

KT Tunstall – Suddenly I See: 6
I feel like that
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

31. Girls in Hawaii - Catwalk - 5
32. Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue - 5
33. Riot – You Burn in Me - 2.5
34. Fergie, featuring Ludacris - Glamorous - 1.5
35. Avenged Sevenfold - Fiction - 7.5
36. Labi Siffre – (Something Inside) So Strong - 9
37. Queen – All Dead, All Dead - 5.5
38. Los Saicos - Demolición - 6.5
39. KT Tunstall – Suddenly I See - 8
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:39. KT Tunstall – Suddenly I See
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Fergie, featuring Ludacris - Glamorous - 3
Los Saicos - Demolición - 3.5
KT Tunstall – Suddenly I See - 8.5
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

KT Tunstall – Suddenly I See: 7

KT Tunstall, it's been too long! I remember very well when this song was frequently on the radio and it was always nice if it was on. I even turned it on myself for a short time, despite not being a typical song I would go for. KT Tunstall hasn't remained in the spotlight since then and she and this song seem halfway forgotten, so it is nice to be reminded that this still exist. There is something about Tunstall's delivery. Her voice is not a powerhouse, but it some girl-next-door kind of charm and her vocals are just the right kind of upbeat. It's hardly the most amazing thing ever created, but it sounds happy not being that.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Man, how’d that one miss my list? One of my favorite songs from when I was a kid. Suddenly I See is an 8.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

KT Tunstall – Suddenly I See: 7 (comes in at 3835 of my all-time faves)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

39. KT Tunstall – Suddenly I See
A nice and catchy pop song. I admit that I didn't know the singer or that it was a "real song", I think I've only ever heard it in commercials before. 6/10
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

The next song is on the AM, albeit as a bubbler:

40. Rush - Yyz
Year: 1981
Album: Moving Pictures
Biggest Fan: FrankLotion (#188)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”