Encore game

Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Encore game

Post by Akhenaten »

The Encore game

I've had an idea for a new game. I was trying to think of a good way people could share their love of their favourite artists.

So, anyway, the premise is that you nominate any artist, and choose 3 tracks by them. And they are lined up against someone else's nomination, and then we all vote which artist we want to hear more of (hence the name, Encore). The winner goes through to Round 2, where the nominator will add 2 more tracks (making 5). In Round 3 each artist will have 7 tracks, etc.

I was thinking of it being for less well known artists, but then I thought it might be fun including the "big" artists too. From what I've seen of this forum, I can imagine a Peruvian 1950s Panpipe Band beating the Beatles, if the voting criteria is "I want to hear more of them", as they already know the Beatles output inside out, and they're loving that panpipe sound and want more!

Once we get a few nominations, I'll draw them randomly against each other, and make up a playlist. And then voting can begin with comments very much encouraged. There would be a week's deadline on each tie.

Nominations can be made at any time - I'll just add them into the pool to be randomly chosen from. People can make as many nominations as they like, but first nominations, will take priority over second nominations, etc.

Example nomination: The The with Armageddon Days (Are Here Again), Lonely Planet, Uncertain Smile.

So, if you like the idea, nominate an artist & 3 tracks. Or if the consensus is there are too many forum games at the moment, I'm happy to hang fire.
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: Encore game

Post by StevieFan13 »

I like it. There are a lot of games, but I do enjoy a good one.

Here's my nomination: Foo Fighters with Everlong, Learn to Fly, and The Pretender
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Akhenaten wrote: I was thinking of it being for less well known artists, but then I thought it might be fun including the "big" artists too. From what I've seen of this forum, I can imagine a Peruvian 1950s Panpipe Band beating the Beatles, if the voting criteria is "I want to hear more of them", as they already know the Beatles output inside out, and they're loving that panpipe sound and want more!
Although I feel there are too many games to keep up with I do like this idea, but really mostly if it contains some less obvious acts. These games have my interest most for the discoveries, but my experience on this forum (and any other for that matter) is that if you set up a beloved act against an unknown act, the beloved act wins, regardless of quality, let alone discovery potential. In other words: The Beatles will make toast of Peruvian panpipes. And another game where we end the final rounds with The Beatles and David Bowie, bless them, is not something I would be interested in.

So, I'd steer it more in the 'less well known artists' direction, though what that entails is a bit hard to decide. I wouldn't use the AM Top 100 Artists as, as some classic forum favorites are not among them, while less talked about are. But perhaps our top 100 forum artists are a better fit. Perhaps this game could come after our artist poll this year? It would fit as a sort of continuation ("Further artist suggestions).

Just a couple of cents.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I suggested a while ago a similar idea (a cup with artist ”teams”) where only songs not on AM could be chosen. I don’t think The Beatles would win such a game. Well, certainly not if it was up to me.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Henrik wrote:I suggested a while ago a similar idea (a cup with artist ”teams”) where only songs not on AM could be chosen. I don’t think The Beatles would win such a game. Well, certainly not if it was up to me.
They haven't won either AM World Cup either, in which all songs were allowed.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Split Enz

I Got You
Six Months In A Leaky Boat
History Never Repeats
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I want this totally to be about discovery, not about finding out who is the most popular band in the world. And voting would be "I've not heard these before, I want to hear more", not voting for your favourite bands.

I've had a little re-think. And rather than having it as a knock-out cup, I think it would work better as a league system. All nominations would start in the 3-track league, and whenever an artist gets 5 encores*, they get promoted into the 5-track league.

An "encore" is made simply by posting the artist's name followed by "Encore", and say why (if you want to).

So, people can "encore" as many acts as they like. And listen at whatever speed they like.

And if you don't like an artist's first track, don't bother listening to the other tracks, unless you want to! The only rules are that you can only encore an act of you've listened to all 3 tracks, and not know at least 2 of the tracks. (And, I'd suggest, if want to comment why you don't like them then you have to have listened to all 3 tracks.)

So, taking Stevie's and Madzong's nominations as examples - Foo Fighters and Split Enz.

I wouldn't encore the Foo Fighters as I already know 2 of those tracks already (though obviously if I wanted to I could listen to them and comment if I wanted to - and if I was a fellow Foo Fighters fan I might try to encourage others who don't know them to encore them, by posting some fascinating Foo Fighter facts!)

I don't know the Spilt Enz tracks, so after listening to them, if I enjoyed them and wanted to hear more, I would post an encore, and if I didn't, I wouldn't.

*The 5 encore target will probably need increasing or decreasing depending on the levels of participation.

My nomination would be Emmy The Great (Swimming Pool, Paper Forest, Dinosaur Sex).

What do people think to that? I think it gets round the too many games issue, as it can just bumble away in the background, and can be participated in as and when you like. And due to the "you can't vote for this of you already know the tracks" rule, it would be very much about discovery.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

So this does sound like it could be pretty fun, I’m wondering if I could do Wu-Tang Clan but include their solo efforts since that’s where the discography becomes less well known (plus so many of the solo albums were basically group efforts anyway). If that’s too complicated I could settle with maybe just doing Ghostface Killah specifically.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Spring Heel Jack :

Bane
Trouble and luck
Disappeared 2
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

FrankLotion wrote:So this does sound like it could be pretty fun, I’m wondering if I could do Wu-Tang Clan but include their solo efforts since that’s where the discography becomes less well known (plus so many of the solo albums were basically group efforts anyway). If that’s too complicated I could settle with maybe just doing Ghostface Killah specifically.
That sounds fine to me. Good idea.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”