Different Class

Re: 2020 R&R Hall of Fame

Post by letmeintomyzone »

Hoping for:

Daft Punk
Elliott Smith
Portishead
Sleater-Kinney

Weezer lacks the strong discography to make it into my picks here, feel like it's the same for ATDI, and I would put GYBE, but there's a bigger chance of Nixon rising from the dead than being acknowledged here at all
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Notorious B.I.G. is the only one I see that might get in the first year.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Oasis I think could make it in, and maybe Biggie. I'd love to see Godspeed make it in but there's no shot there. Weezer I also could see making it - they've been a very popular rock band since 1994, even if some people might not enjoy their newer work as much.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I think the following bands have a chance:

Oasis (AM Artist Rank = 57)
Daft Punk (68)
Portishead (94)
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Henry wrote:I think the following bands have a chance:

Oasis (AM Artist Rank = 57)
Daft Punk (68)
Portishead (94)
I don't think that the ranking here is a good indicator of a hall of famer. There are several acts that are higher than Oasis and are not in and probably won't get in any time soon. , Smiths, Nick Cave, Arcade Fire, Bjork, Blur, PJ Harvey, Beck.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Notorious BIG is obviously going to get in. No question there. Oasis might. I don't think anyone else on the list is a first year inductee. Weezer and Daft Punk, outside chance.

Bands like Portishead and S-K need to age some more and have a continued niche audience to have a chance to get in. If they have any chance it'll be in 2040 like Roxy Music.

@Hymie

Beck has a WAY higher chance than the other groups you listed. Smiths, Blur and PJ Harvey are not out of the question. Smiths are in the category of bands like The Stooges and Roxy Music who might get in but only way after they're eligible. Beck had both mainstream and critical success though, he might get in first few years which is coming up soon.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote: Beck has a WAY higher chance than the other groups you listed. Smiths, Blur and PJ Harvey are not out of the question. Smiths are in the category of bands like The Stooges and Roxy Music who might get in but only way after they're eligible. Beck had both mainstream and critical success though, he might get in first few years which is coming up soon.
The Smiths were actually nominated twice already, but it's been a few years since their last one.

Beck has just one top 40 single in the USA, but did have several top 10 albums.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I agree with the people who say The Notorious B.I.G. is a lock. Whether he will be a first-timer I don't know, but he is the type of artist that fits the pattern of the Hall of Fame. Oasis too, though I don't expect a first time success. Weezer and Beck both have had mainstream success, but also seem more alternative than the Hall of Fame goes for, so I'm not convinced they get in soon.

But I'm surprised that people give Daft Punk a shot. Considering how hard it is for Kraftwerk to get in, it is clear that electronic music is not given much weight here. I don't think Daft Punk is considered "rock" enough to be a quick contender here. Portishead faces this problem just as hard and also lack the mainstream recognition that really helps here.

Sleater-Kinney is very much a rock band, but without anything close to commercial success or mainstream recognition I think they might only get in when the Hall of Fame is running out of all options. The sad truth is that Nickelback and Limp Bizkit are probably more serious contenders (in the future that is) than Sleater-Kinney.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I think you're right Rob, although it's hard for me to understand how The Notorious B.I.G. is rock enough, while Daft Punk isn't.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Henrik wrote:I think you're right Rob, although it's hard for me to understand how The Notorious B.I.G. is rock enough, while Daft Punk isn't.
It has nothing to do with which is "more rock." Daft Punk is just nowhere near as significant as Biggie, who is part of mainstream culture in the USA. It doesn't hurt to die young in a sensational manner either. One of the worst mistakes in the hall is Ritchie Valens, who only released a total of like 20-25 songs. No way he should be in.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Beck didn’t have top 40 charting singles but won Grammys and was all over MTV. He still headlines festivals and plays in the same medium sized venues as 80’s pop rock bands. He’s a household name. Which is why I give him much better odds than a band like Weezer.

Daft Punk’s ability to get in the HoF, I think, significantly improved with Get Lucky. Based on their older less catchy tunes, it would have been harder.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Hymie wrote:
Henrik wrote:I think you're right Rob, although it's hard for me to understand how The Notorious B.I.G. is rock enough, while Daft Punk isn't.
It has nothing to do with which is "more rock." Daft Punk is just nowhere near as significant as Biggie, who is part of mainstream culture in the USA. It doesn't hurt to die young in a sensational manner either. One of the worst mistakes in the hall is Ritchie Valens, who only released a total of like 20-25 songs. No way he should be in.
Biggie will get in much like Pac got in on his 1st time. Those two are linked in some ways unfortunately and if Pac got in the 1st ballot I would expect the same for Biggie.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote:Beck didn’t have top 40 charting singles but won Grammys and was all over MTV. He still headlines festivals and plays in the same medium sized venues as 80’s pop rock bands. He’s a household name.
Not in this household. I have no idea what he looks like and I've never heard anything by him.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote: Daft Punk’s ability to get in the HoF, I think, significantly improved with Get Lucky. Based on their older less catchy tunes, it would have been harder.
Though Get Lucky certainly helps, don't forget that it is also modeled on the music from Chic (with Nile Rodgers even present on the song) and Chic have had 11 unsuccessful nominations at the Hall of Fame. I think that goes to show that dance floor music isn't what the Hall is looking for on first hand. One song probably isn't enough to get in either (yes, we have Stevie Nicks, but I think people voted for her more based on the Fleetwood Mac association; that and she fits the classic rock radio mold much better than Daft Punk).

I really don't know about Beck. He belongs firmly in a the alternative music scene, even despite some mainstream success. And alternative rock is not the type of rock the Hall of Fame generally acknowledges quickly. Indie rock is in the same boat. I always think of classic rock radio music as being the staple on which this is foremost based, with some added hiphop and soul.

Still, Beck is really his own man, without strong ties to any music movement. I really don't think he is someone everybody knows or has extreme mass appeal. It's more that he found his audience, which I suspect is largely collegiate and music savvy. What is in his favor for the Hall are not the things we on Acclaimed Music love him for, like his rather consistent output, restless creativity and central role in the 90's music scene. No, I think he will be in one day because he is well-liked. Not just musically, but as a whole. That unexpected Grammy win felt like something of a mark of sympathy, as much as the quality of the record. He loves music, he works hard, he seems nice, he gives a lot to the industry and had an almost stealth influence on the music scene. Beck's secret weapon is that he has been able to straddle the line between mainstream and alternative music; making it approachable for the masses, while maintaining the idiosyncrasies of the alternative scenes. Although certainly not as famous or iconic, he is the David Bowie of the nineties and early 2000's.
Whether that is enough to get him in I don't know. I think as long as people like Hymie don't know him we are still far off. But he has a shot. Just don't think it is as likely as Biggie Smalls or Oasis.
The_Claw
Different Class

Post by The_Claw »

Rob wrote:No, I think he will be in one day because he is well-liked. Not just musically, but as a whole. That unexpected Grammy win felt like something of a mark of sympathy, as much as the quality of the record. He loves music, he works hard, he seems nice, he gives a lot to the industry and had an almost stealth influence on the music scene. Beck's secret weapon is that he has been able to straddle the line between mainstream and alternative music; making it approachable for the masses, while maintaining the idiosyncrasies of the alternative scenes.
True. A great example of that is that he has performed at a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. When Lou Reed was posthumously inducted in 2015, Beck played "Satellite of Love" in his honour. Attending a ceremony is not a guarantee for induction (The Yeah Yeah Yeahs performed "Vicious" that same night, and I would be really surprised if they would get inducted), but it shows that the Hall of Fame knows who Beck is.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Hymie wrote:
Jirin wrote:Beck didn’t have top 40 charting singles but won Grammys and was all over MTV. He still headlines festivals and plays in the same medium sized venues as 80’s pop rock bands. He’s a household name.
Not in this household. I have no idea what he looks like and I've never heard anything by him.
I assume you weren’t following new mainstream music in the 90s, though. Anyone who was at least knows Loser and Where It’s At. He’s someone that a late night talk show host can easily name drop without having to explain who he is.

My point about Daft Punk is that having loved mainstream hits is a way better indicator of HoF inclusion than genre distinctions. I think anyone who has both popular hits and critical respect is very likely to get in, whether or not they are technically rock.

Also Kanye making a hit from Harder Better Faster Stronger helps.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote: My point about Daft Punk is that having loved mainstream hits is a way better indicator of HoF inclusion than genre distinctions. I think anyone who has both popular hits and critical respect is very likely to get in, whether or not they are technically rock.
It helps, but it's not enough. If you are a hit machine, yes, than it really counts. But Chic or current inductee Roxy Music also had hits, in the US more than Daft Punk. And it took/ takes them ages to get in. I have no reason to believe this is the kind of music the Hall of Fame is looking at. Basically, you can see pretty clear patterns in the Hall of Fame picks. It greatly helps to be mainstream, rock (or top of the line R&B) and also American. Daft Punk has become somewhat mainstream, is not considered rock and is not American. They appeal to another demographic than the people who vote for the Hall. Just look at Kraftwerk and Chic, these two acts struggle like no one else and keep failing to get in. And these two bands resemble Daft Punk more than any other previous contender. The Hall can surprise every once in a while, but things are not looking up for the French duo.

And not for LCD Soundsystem either, once their time comes.
Also Kanye making a hit from Harder Better Faster Stronger helps.
That's a stretch by any definition.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I agree if they ever get in it will take years and years, I just place them as much more likely than, say, Sleater-Kinney. Because I think their definition of rock stretches to include anything in the catchy pop umbrella for bands that are both well known and critically lauded. Especially when modern dance pop acts start to become eligible and get in fifteen years from now, and their big hits resemble Daft Punk’s poppier hits.

The only way S-K ever gets in is if 20 years from now several top acts cite them as an influence.

Right now, the HoF looks like the pop landscapes of the 60s through 80s. 15 years from now it will resemble more the pop landscapes of the 90s and 00s. And when it does, older acts that resembled and influenced those acts will have a much better chance.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”