Biggest Fan Songs - January 2019

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Biggest Fan Songs - January 2019

Post by Rob »

Well here it is, the all new Biggest Fan poll. Let me explain for all who didn't read the proposition topic. It's about those songs that only got one vote in our recent All-Time Best Song Poll. There were 13051 of them! That's too much to get collectively into, but through this series we are going to introduce you to one of them every day. A randomly selected song, so you never know what you're gonna get.

There is also a game element, to make things more interactive. You can give a grade to each song, from 1 (for the worst of them) to 10 (the masterpieces). Every 100 days I will calculate the average grades and post the current top 100. At the end of each year I'll post the whole list as is.

Some points of note:
- A topic for each song would be a little much, but all songs in one topic too. That's why I make monthly new topics for the entries of that month.
- There will be links to old topics in each new one, so you can easily go back. Once we have collected a decent amount of songs, I will also post a topic with all the songs listed and a link to their initial appearance.
- There is gonna be a Spotify playlist (see below). Each new song will be put atop of the playlist! If songs aren't on Spotify there will be a link to YouTube or any platform it's available on. I will contact the biggest fan through a message if I can't find the song anywhere.
- You can always still vote for each song, even months later. Just go to the right topic.
- You can always change your grade. Again, place it in the right topic.
- You don't have to vote for each song if you don't want to.
- I think this goes without saying but still: always name the artist and title of the song you vote for. I'm not going to guess for which song you vote.
- Comments on the song are more than welcome. Nobody is probably going to review them all, but if you have something to say, please do.
- I know some wanted to go faster. Two songs a day, 10 songs a week, something like that. I'm decided against this, because I wanted to keep it small. We can't deal with 13051 songs, so I'm not trying. I just want to give you all one small discovery (or re-discovery) for the day. We'll never get all these songs done before the next All Time Song poll rolls along, but we can have fun getting there.
- I'll try to get each new song up soon after awakening, so in most cases it should be here relatively early.
- Feel free to ask questions or make general comments about this poll if you think it could be better.

The playlist:

I'm not going to link to this each day, but you can find the playlist in my first post on each new page.

Attached you also find an Excel with all eligible songs. Some who opened the earlier file notice that there are two songs missing: I erased a song that was in there twice, which wasn't eligible anymore.

Happy voting and most of all happy discovering! :music-listening:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rob on Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Biggest Fan - January 2019

Post by Rob »

Good news: the first song is Good News!

1. Muddy Waters – Good News
Year: 1957
Released as a single
Biggest Fan: Hymie (#683)
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

It gets a 9 from me. The top 450 or so on my list are tens, the rest are nines.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Muddy Waters – Good News: 7
I feel like that
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

My own vote:
Muddy Waters - Good News: 7

This is the type of blues song I suspect Muddy Waters by then could make in his sleep, but if I could make such lively and fun songs while sleeping I would probably be a great man.
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

Muddy Waters - Good News 7

I have 2 compilations by Muddy Waters and this song isn't on either.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Muddy Waters - 8
Elton John - 6
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

It's one of the very few Muddy Waters records that features a saxophone and even a sax break. It may be the only one from the 1950s.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

BTW, I'll bet there were more things on my list with no other votes than any other list. My taste is very different from the majority of the folks here.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Oooh that was some nice sax, I’d give that a solid 8.
fasbjd
Wannabe

Post by fasbjd »

That’s good blues; Ohh boy, that’s good blues...

Worth an 8.
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

Hymie wrote:BTW, I'll bet there were more things on my list with no other votes than any other list. My taste is very different from the majority of the folks here.
It does look like you have a lot. In my top 100 songs 64 are just my own. In my whole list of 1000, 635 songs I'm the only fan.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Here is the second one, though of course you can still vote for Muddy Waters too. Just be clear were your vote is for.

2. Elton John – Your Sister Can’t Twist (But She Can Rock ‘N Roll)
Year: 1973
From the album: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Biggest Fan: Rob (#695)

See top of the playlist above for the new song.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Hymie wrote:BTW, I'll bet there were more things on my list with no other votes than any other list. My taste is very different from the majority of the folks here.
Yes, you do have more than average. I'm not sure if you have the most, there are a couple of other people who posted a lot outside of the usual suspects. But thanks to the massive list we have I doubt anyone is going to dominate this poll in a way that would be too much.

My vote for Elton John: 9
As the biggest fan I will post a review for it tomorrow, don't have time for it now.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. Muddy Waters – Good News
The kind of song that are always good but, for me, never reaches the sublime. 6/10
Even if I manage to love more and more this good old Elton, this one leaves me quite cold, a little too classic for my taste, I prefer its extravagance. 4/10

I prefer not to put too high scores for songs I like moderately otherwise, I'll end up giving 9 or 10 for the songs I like just a little bit more :-)
Maybe you should put some kind of value scale in your first post so that we can all agree. :D

THe Hymie scale:
10 - Incredibly awesome
9 - Great
8 - Excellent
7 - Very Good
6 - Good
5 - Pretty Good
4 - Okay
3 - Not Very Good
2 - Bad
1 - Terrible
0 - Unbelievably Horrible

And I'd rather not know who had the song in his list so I wouldn't be influenced (when I like people for example or when I know I have similar tastes). I don't know what others think about it?
Last edited by Romain on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:Here is the second one, though of course you can still vote for Muddy Waters too. Just be clear were your vote is for.

Year: 1973
From the album: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Biggest Fan: Rob (#695)
Yes, I remember this well from my high school days. Another 50s influenced thing from Elton, like with "Croc Rock." This one sounds kinda phony now.

It gets a charitable 5.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Elton John – Your Sister Can’t Twist (But She Can Rock ‘N Roll): 7
I feel like that
fasbjd
Wannabe

Post by fasbjd »

Love the album...like the song.

I give it a 6
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Romain wrote:Maybe you should put some kind of value scale in your first post so that we can all agree. :D
I stopped rating music several years ago because it took a lot of my time and, well, the perfectionist in me found it kinda hard. I think it would be somewhat easier (and also feel more important) to join this game if there was a ”recommended rating scale”.

Nonetheless a great initiative, Rob!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Elton John – Your Sister Can’t Twist (But She Can Rock ‘N Roll): 6. Definitely not my favorite from the album but it does work better in context with the other songs I think.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Henrik wrote:
Romain wrote:Maybe you should put some kind of value scale in your first post so that we can all agree. :D
I stopped rating music several years ago because it took a lot of my time and, well, the perfectionist in me found it kinda hard. I think it would be somewhat easier (and also feel more important) to join this game if there was a ”recommended rating scale”.
I use....

10 - Incredibly awesome
9 - Great
8 - Excellent
7 - Very Good
6 - Good
5 - Pretty Good
4 - Okay
3 - Not Very Good
2 - Bad
1 - Terrible
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Hymie wrote:
10 - Incredibly awesome
9 - Great
8 - Excellent
7 - Very Good
6 - Good
5 - Pretty Good
4 - Okay
3 - Not Very Good
2 - Bad
1 - Terrible
For me, it's OK ! I will use this rank system for the futur. But it makes me change my first two votes down.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

For me I think numeric rating systems break down when you get toward the top. If I tried to rate things 1-10, there'd be more distance between my lowest and highest 10 than my lowest 10 and highest 8. I'll use numeric systems for songs in the middle but once I get up to my top 500-1000 or so I go by the rank position.

Also any time you try to set up a numeric system, you realize immediately you anchored wrong. If one thing gets a 9 that shouldn't have gotten it, now everything you think is better than that song has to get a 9 or better, and you get some crowded numbers.

My highest that nobody else voted for was The National - Ada. I'm surprised that didn't at least get into the low reaches of other people's lists, I think of it as the second most popular song on Boxer.

My second highest is St Vincent - Hang On Me. That's less surprising since it's a newer song.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Muddy - 6
Elton - 4.5
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

First off. Great listening and learning game. Thanks for putting this together Rob. Elton, what can I say? He is in my top three artists of all time...love, love love. I have seen him in concert three times and he rarely disappoints. However, this song from the awesome "Goodbye Yellow Brick Rd" album disappoints me. It always has and I skip it in rotation every time. It may be one of my most skipped songs. I am using Hymie's scale and rating a 4. I liked the Muddy Waters track much better. I am rating "Good News" a 6.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote:Also any time you try to set up a numeric system, you realize immediately you anchored wrong. If one thing gets a 9 that shouldn't have gotten it, now everything you think is better than that song has to get a 9 or better, and you get some crowded numbers.
If something that shouldn't have gotten a 9 gets one, when you realize your mistake you change the rating on that one.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

If you are applying the scale correctly as designed there should be roughly twice as many nines as tens, then twice as many eights as nines, then twice as many sevens as eights, then twice as many or more of sixes than sevens, then about the same of fives as sixes. This is assuming that you are rating all kinds of songs from all kinds of music whether you like that style or not. If you are only rating things that you already like a lot to begin with then these ratios won't work.

Starting with 4 there should be fewer fours than fives and then maybe half as many threes as fours, and then a lot less twos, and then way less ones and then very very few zeroes.

Here's what I have in my MP3 library, which are just records that I think are are least pretty good, that I would not mind hearing on random play. I have tons more MP3s that are not in the library, like every Billboard chart hit from 1907 through 2012.

I have more than one MP3 on lots of songs, like mono-stereo, long and short version, alternates, etc...

In my library:

10 - 505
9 - 948
8 - 2477
7 - 5404
6 - 10,808
5 - 8842
4 or less - 1433

Wow, coincidentally I have EXACTLY twice as many sixes as sevens.

I would have more fives as lots of things that I don't have in my library right now would get a 5, like the Elton John song in this thread. A 5 is the lowest rating that I file in my library, except for certain items that I file for historic purposes, opr maybe some songs that other people like a lot that I don't. But in general I don't keep things below a 5 in the library.

It's like a pyramid. There should be about as many sixes (good) than 7, 8, 9 and 10 combined.
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

Elton John – Your Sister Can’t Twist (But She Can Rock ‘N Roll) 4
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Hymie wrote:If you are applying the scale correctly as designed there should be roughly twice as many nines as tens, then twice as many eights as nines, then twice as many sevens as eights, then twice as many or more of sixes than sevens, then about the same of fives as sixes. This is assuming that you are rating all kinds of songs from all kinds of music whether you like that style or not. If you are only rating things that you already like a lot to begin with then these ratios won't work.

Starting with 4 there should be fewer fours than fives and then maybe half as many threes as fours, and then a lot less twos, and then way less ones and then very very few zeroes.

Here's what I have in my MP3 library, which are just records that I think are are least pretty good, that I would not mind hearing on random play. I have tons more MP3s that are not in the library, like every Billboard chart hit from 1907 through 2012.

I have more than one MP3 on lots of songs, like mono-stereo, long and short version, alternates, etc...

In my library:

10 - 505
9 - 948
8 - 2477
7 - 5404
6 - 10,808
5 - 8842
4 or less - 1433

Wow, coincidentally I have EXACTLY twice as many sixes as sevens.

I would have more fives as lots of things that I don't have in my library right now would get a 5, like the Elton John song in this thread. A 5 is the lowest rating that I file in my library, except for certain items that I file for historic purposes, opr maybe some songs that other people like a lot that I don't. But in general I don't keep things below a 5 in the library.

It's like a pyramid. There should be about as many sixes (good) than 7, 8, 9 and 10 combined.
Sure, but if you're constantly readjusting your list for level quotas, might as well just make a big ordered list and normalize it on a gaussian curve. :)

If I were to do it that way instead of using 0-10 I'd have 0 be the median and the score for any album would be the album's Z score. That way that's infinite space on both the top and bottom ends for making tier distinctions at the very top. The top 2.5% of albums would have a score 2 or higher, top .13% would have a score of 3 or higher, etc.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote: Sure, but if you're constantly readjusting your list for level quotas, might as well just make a big ordered list and normalize it on a gaussian curve. :)
I've never adjusted it once.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I will react later today on the posts above. For now, I just post the new song:

3. J.J. Cale - Magnolia
Year: 1972
From the album: Naturally
Biggest Fan: Antonius (#656)

Don’t forget you can always vote for earlier songs or change your vote!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

How do you collect the votes dear Rob?

3. J.J. Cale - Magnolia
Sweet and sad song et the same time 6/10
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:I will react later today on the posts above. For now, I just post the new song:

3. J.J. Cale - Magnolia
Oh my god, JJ, can you clear your fucking throat already???

Emerald
Strange Fruit

Post by Emerald »

Muddy Waters – Good News: 7
Very nice instrumental on this.

Elton John – Your Sister Can’t Twist (But She Can Rock ‘N Roll): 6
It's upbeat at the very least.

J.J. Cale - Magnolia: 6
A rather soothing track.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Romain wrote: Maybe you should put some kind of value scale in your first post so that we can all agree. :D
I initially planned this, but I decided against it, because people tend to have their own feelings about how these ratings work, as we can already see in the following discussion. I think everybody agrees somewhat about the general rating meanings - 10 as a big favorite, 1 as a deep dislike (I don't count 0 for this game - I'll immediately turn them into a 1). As someone from a country that uses a 1 to 10 grading scale in schools it is perhaps more obvious. There a 6 was a minimal pass (in songs, that would be good, but nothing special) and 5 a minimal fail (not terrible, but not quite good enough). I think it is hard to speak for everyone's wishes here, especially since I grade by feeling and not based on mathematics or anything. Hymie's scale works fine for me.
And I'd rather not know who had the song in his list so I wouldn't be influenced (when I like people for example or when I know I have similar tastes). I don't know what others think about it?
Nobody else has opined on this, but I'm curious what people think. Personally, i doesn't influence my vote in any way as I tend to agree every now and then even with people whose tastes align. I like this extra bit of information, especially since it fits the spirit of this game. But if others don't like it, it can be removed.
How do you collect the votes dear Rob?
In an Excel sheet. To be fair, the voting system is my least favorite part of this game now. I would have liked something like a good grading program, similar to how you can grade films on IMDb for example, but I can't find one such program that allows people to regrade. If someone knows a good grading program please let me know.
fasbjd
Wannabe

Post by fasbjd »

Magnolia - not my favorite JJ Cale song but the man knows how to write good tunes - 6.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Vote for today:

J.J. Cale - Magnolia: 8
A surprise actually. I never cared for Cale before. Always thought he was a little too laid back. But here the quietness is used in a touching way. Never thought he had something this sweetness inside of him.

And let's get back to yesterday's Elton John song, as I want to defend my own entry, especially since people here don't seem to connect to it.
I'm a bit of a fan of Sir Elton and I especially love the album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. That one has a lot of hits and classics (in order of appearance: Funeral for a Friend/ Love Lies Bleeding, Candle in the Wind, Bennie & the Jets, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting; what a variety!) and some great deep cuts (of which Grey Seal seems to be the most loved in general). For me Your Sister Can't Twist has always been an equal to most of these. It's pleasures are simple: as Hymie already said it is a tribute to fifties rock. Or maybe more precisely: it is a tribute to the kind of songs The Beach Boys made in the early sixties, when they were more in debt to fifties rock. Those whoohoos that come on in the second half of Your Sister Can't Twist are pure Beach Boys.
Like many of the best songs that it derives from, Your Sister Can't Twist is a great energizer. No other song on that album gets my body moving more. The fast tempo of the vocals, those Beach Boys woos and the raging instrumentals, everything is bursting with fun. It's an ode to dancing and music in a Chuck Berry fashion and if it a little cheesy, well, Elton John has always done cheesy very well.
Emerald
Strange Fruit

Post by Emerald »

Rob wrote: And let's get back to yesterday's Elton John song, as I want to defend my own entry, especially since people here don't seem to connect to it.
I'm a bit of a fan of Sir Elton and I especially love the album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. That one has a lot of hits and classics (in order of appearance: Funeral for a Friend/ Love Lies Bleeding, Candle in the Wind, Bennie & the Jets, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting; what a variety!) and some great deep cuts (of which Grey Seal seems to be the most loved in general). For me Your Sister Can't Twist has always been an equal to most of these. It's pleasures are simple: as Hymie already said it is a tribute to fifties rock. Or maybe more precisely: it is a tribute to the kind of songs The Beach Boys made in the early sixties, when they were more in debt to fifties rock. Those whoohoos that come on in the second half of Your Sister Can't Twist are pure Beach Boys.
Like many of the best songs that it derives from, Your Sister Can't Twist is a great energizer. No other song on that album gets my body moving more. The fast tempo of the vocals, those Beach Boys woos and the raging instrumentals, everything is bursting with fun. It's an ode to dancing and music in a Chuck Berry fashion and if it a little cheesy, well, Elton John has always done cheesy very well.
Despite the fact that me and others weren't huge fans of it, I feel like context can make a song more enjoyable since you've put it that way. It also doesn't help that I listened to it without factoring in the album.
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

J.J. Cale - Magnolia: 6

Nice song but forgettable.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

J.J. Cale - Magnolia: 7
I feel like that
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I don't usually grade songs, so using Hymie's scale:

Muddy Waters – Good News: 5
I like Muddy, this though is a kind of average Muddy song.

Elton John – Your Sister Can’t Twist (But She Can Rock ‘N Roll): 4
It's Okay, but my least favourite off the album.

J.J. Cale - Magnolia : 6
Most Cale songs would get a 6 from me. Consequently his albums, while enjoyable, never make a big impression overall.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

DaveC wrote:I don't usually grade songs, so using Hymie's scale:

Muddy Waters – Good News: 5
I like Muddy, this though is a kind of average Muddy song.

Elton John – Your Sister Can’t Twist (But She Can Rock ‘N Roll): 4
It's Okay, but my least favourite off the album.

J.J. Cale - Magnolia : 6
Most Cale songs would get a 6 from me. Consequently his albums, while enjoyable, never make a big impression overall.
4, 5 and 6 are where MOST records should fall. Once you get to 7 you are in the territory of something that warrants repeated listens. A 6 is good, but not something that someone plays much on their own accord. If it comes on somewhere you might like it, but not enough to seek it out on your own.

A 5 is pretty good, it's certainly not bad, but it's fairly innocuous. It's right in the middle of a 0 to 10 scale. A 4 is okay. It's not bad, you're not gonna run to turn it off, but you're never gonna want to hear it of your own volition.

A 3 or less is something that you actively don't think is very good (or worse), and you could even want to shut it off to avoid the agony.
Last edited by Hymie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

Muddy Waters - Good Blues. That makes it a 6 on the Hymie scale. It's the instrumental break that makes it.

Elton John - that's a fun track (Entrance of the Gladiators on the organ, Beach Boys woos) - 7.

JJ Cale - Kinda nice (there's a chance that might grow on me) - 5
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

A more recent song for today:

4. (Sandy) Alex G - Proud
Year: 2017
From the album: Rocket
Biggest Fan: Krurze (#692)
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:A more recent song for today:

Year: 2017
From the album: Rocket
Biggest Fan: Krurze (#692)
I expected to hate something from 2017, but it's not bad. Nice retro arrangement. Now if only the singer could sing.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

(Sandy) Alex G - Proud: 5
I don't mind it too much, but I also think it is a little bland. It feels like too familiar indie-folk, with nothing of it's own that makes me jump up.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Muddy Waters – Good News: 6
J.J. Cale - Magnolia: 7
Elton John – Your Sister Can’t Twist (But She Can Rock ‘N Roll): 5
(Sandy) Alex G - Proud: 8

I can't even say much in the defense of Proud. It just happens to fall into the non-offensive indie-folk-pop alley that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. This one does work for me.

The rest of the songs are pleasant enough, but I think I'd prefer Elton's inspirations over his own interpretation of them.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

(Sandy) Alex G - Proud: 7
I feel like that
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Hey... it's not bad at all, I like the rhythm : 6/10 (but maybe 7 latter)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

(Sandy) Alex G - Proud - 7
JJ Cale - 6

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”